PDA

View Full Version : Building a list for performance options.... Need advice

05ZIPPYZHP
05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey guys,
It's the start of summer and I have just knocked out all of the necessary preventive maintenance which now leaves me time to make a new list of things to do to the car. I'm looking for advice on what intake best fits my needs. From my understanding, the CAI's will not give me any type of increased hp or mpg and that is fine.
What I am looking for in a CAI are as follows: 1.) A deep aggressive growl 2.) No performance inhibiting due to design 3.) Oil Free Filter
The CAI's I seem to find most common on this forum are the BMW Performance CAI, AFE, and Dinan. Can anyone point me in a direction? I'm doing all the research I can but it seems as if one filter does not fill all my wants.

Mtnman
05-29-2011, 05:28 PM
BMW performance will fill those three needs no problem. And its about 300 shipped right now.

danewilson77
05-29-2011, 05:30 PM
BMW performance will fill those three needs no problem. And its about 300 shipped right now.

+1........I have AFE Pro5R.......

You should hook it up with the BMW performance strut bar as well...which is also on sale.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
The only drawback on the BMW Performance intake is the cost of filters. About $53. One of our members, though, found a workaround, so it looks like there could be a filter available for $9.

kayger12
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM
The only drawback on the BMW Performance intake is the cost of filters. About $53. One of our members, though, found a workaround, so it looks like there could be a filter available for $9.

Speaking of which- I just got an email from Amazon that they are back in stock.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
05-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Speaking of which- I just got an email from Amazon that they are back in stock.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Schweet!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

johnrando
05-29-2011, 08:34 PM

+1 I like my BMW Perf Intake, and +1, on the replacement filters.

thesixsins
05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Where are you guys getting these for $300?

Mtnman
05-30-2011, 03:55 PM
ecs tuning.

05ZIPPYZHP
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for such fast reply guys. Only concern is I've read almost every post on the BMW performance CAI and in almost every post people state its not very noticeable as far as hearing it.... Is this due to the possibility the stock exhaust canceling out the noise of the intake or road noise?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I have the BMW Performance intake. Not loud at all. Looks great, though!

Not sure why it's not loud, though. It's a pretty tight box; that may muffle the sound. Not sure, though. Will need someone else to chime in.

Alphatek45
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Not sure if that's the cause, but I should have mine in this weekend. (still waiting on a tracking # from ESC)We can't be that far apart, I'd be happy to hook up somewhere so you can hear it for yourself, in person.

Will probably make a before/after video. Can't imagine it's going to be a huge difference.

johnrando
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
It's not loud at all, but there is a difference in the sound, more so at higher revs.

05ZIPPYZHP
06-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Not sure if that's the cause, but I should have mine in this weekend. (still waiting on a tracking # from ESC)We can't be that far apart, I'd be happy to hook up somewhere so you can hear it for yourself, in person.

Will probably make a before/after video. Can't imagine it's going to be a huge difference.
- I would greatly appreciate that offer in all seriousness.
My personal preference in doing any modification to this car are purely to make it sound as good as it looks. Since performance gains will be quite costly for larger horsepower numbers, I think a good quality sound is what I'm after.I've done a lot of video listening to hear the differences but there are just to many variables that give me biased sounds when it comes to the intensity.

static667
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
You will probably want to look into a more open style intake if you want a deeper, throatier sound. The aFe intake with the pro dry filter may be a little better. They are on sale at Bav Auto (http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp) right now.