PDA

View Full Version : Tail light moisture

cparker
06-02-2011, 09:53 AM
I have significant water beading inside my driver's side tail light. Is there anything that can be done about this?

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Ensure the light is sealed/seated and the gasket looks good?

billschusteriv
06-02-2011, 10:18 AM
^^^ +1

Do you have any cracks in your tail light?

May need to pick up another tail light...

Kudos
06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I think there's something wrong with the driver's side tail lights. I have the same thing, and have noticed on other cars same thing has occurred. If only someone had pass side damage we could split the costs of a new taillight as the led lights are rather expensive.

cparker
06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah I'm sure it's a seal issue, but how would I get the existing moisture out??

spencers
06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
You could unbolt the tail lamp from the car... There's only (3) 10mm? nuts holding the tail lamp on.
While it's off, you can verify the gasket.

Is the lamp original?

cparker
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM
The lense can be taken off without damaging it? I've found they're ussualy glued together, but then again I've never worked on a BMW tail light so that may be a false assumption. I believe it to be original, but I just bought the car and know nothing of the history. It's an LED tail light, the salesman said it's factory. I'll pull it tonight and see what I can do.

az3579
06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Silica gel works wonders with moisture...

spencers
06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
No, the lens is not removable from the assembly, as it's permanently glued.
LED's would make this issue tricky, as the whole tail lamp assembly is pretty much sealed. There aren't holes in it like the normal bulb counterparts have.

cparker
06-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Well, I pulled it last night and the seal was bad at the top edge of the light. I was actually able to flip the light over and let the moisture slowly drip out. There is still a little bit of moisture in the light but much better.

So these LED tail lights are not stock?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-03-2011, 06:34 AM
I moved this thread over to troubleshooting.

Good work, guys.

spencers
06-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Well, I pulled it last night and the seal was bad at the top edge of the light. I was actually able to flip the light over and let the moisture slowly drip out. There is still a little bit of moisture in the light but much better.

So these LED tail lights are not stock?

They are likely stock. If I recall, they come stock on ZHP coupes.
After removing the moisture, you could probably apply some silicone to the top of the lens

kayger12
06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
If I recall, they come stock on ZHP coupes.

Correct.

Kudos
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Now if you have an issue that one or more of your led's died that's a whole different ball game. anyone know if khoa would sell one side of the tail lights instead of both?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Now if you have an issue that one or more of your led's died that's a whole different ball game. anyone know if khoa would sell one side of the tail lights instead of both?

I'd be surprised if he'd break up a pair. I believe that's how he sells them. By pair. I'll ask him tomorrow.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

danewilson77
06-04-2011, 05:11 AM
I'd be surprised if he'd break up a pair. I believe that's how he sells them. By pair. I'll ask him tomorrow.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

Sometimes they may have a set where one light got damaged or rejected at QA. Keep your fingers crossed.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Yep. Will definitely find out. He's coming to my house this morning. I will ask him first thing.