PDA

View Full Version : My Mod list have i forgotten anything?

midlandtech
06-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Ok so the goal with this list is to get maybe 20 extra Hp out of the car while keeping it largely stock and reliable as its my daily driver. Additionally I am doing a bit of cosmetic work to hopefully inhance the asthetics of the car but making it look as clean as possible.

Performance:
BMW CAI
VANOS from Dr. Vanos
Underdrive Pulleys
Resonator Delete (both)

Exterior:
Matte black kidney
CF splitters
CF vinyl roof cover
CF diffuser

EDIT: may use matte black instead of CF

Pretty simple I know but are my power gain asperations attainable with the given upgrades and also what are your thoughts on the Exterior mods posed?

lilcdkey
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Pics please.

midlandtech
06-02-2011, 07:05 PM
none as of yet but will have some soon hopefully more or less looking to see what others thought of the list and to see if I had forgotten/ should change anything

lilcdkey
06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh, these are your plans... Yeah everything sounds good. Make sure that you'll pass your emissions test with that resonator delete.

danewilson77
06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Idk about under drive pulley's.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

midlandtech
06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
no emissions tests here in KS... whats up with the underdrives? from what I have read they keep things within specs so codes arnt thrown... have I missed out on something?

johnrando
06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok so the goal with this list is to get maybe 20 extra Hp out of the car while keeping it largely stock and reliable as its my daily driver. Additionally I am doing a bit of cosmetic work to hopefully inhance the asthetics of the car but making it look as clean as possible.

Performance:
BMW CAI
VANOS from Dr. Vanos
Underdrive Pulleys
Resonator Delete (both)

Exterior:
Matte black kidney
CF splitters
CF vinyl roof cover
CF diffuser

EDIT: may use matte black instead of CF

Pretty simple I know but are my power gain asperations attainable with the given upgrades and also what are your thoughts on the Exterior mods posed?

Very similar to mine, except for the CF roof, trunk. You have headers, maybe a s/w tune (AA, Dinan, or Shark)?

midlandtech
06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I've been considering Shark just dont know what all it would do for me, maybe i should read more on it... I dont think I am gonna cover the trunk just the roof.

spencers
06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I've been considering Shark just dont know what all it would do for me, maybe i should read more on it...

I think a shark would do much more than pulleys ever would.

az3579
06-03-2011, 01:34 AM
I think a shark would do much more than pulleys ever would.

Ya know, these mods aren't exclusive. It's never really what effect each part has (except for forced induction), but more of what the sum of the parts can do. Don't just get the Shark or the pulleys, get BOTH!

kayger12
06-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Idk about under drive pulley's.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Concerns?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I had underdrive pulleys on my 5 series. Worked well.

billschusteriv
06-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Dane and BP have good threads on here about the Shark. (On BB - can't provide links yet)

There are others here that have the other tunes...

Headers were a good recommendation...have you considered BMW performance exhaust?

midlandtech
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
I have, but financially I am trying to limit my spending and putting my money where it will have the most impact... goal is bang for buck netting 20-30 hp and personal touches to the exterior

billschusteriv
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Cool! :thumbsup

kayger12
06-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Concerns?

Ahem...:foottap

midlandtech
06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Ahem...:foottap

I agree... any one have negative experience with underdrives?

kayger12
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Fwiw, I plan on going with underdrives as soon as my car is off CPO.

That is, unless DANEWILSON77 decides to tell me what negatives he has heard about them...

Marcus-SanDiego
06-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Fwiw, I plan on going with underdrives as soon as my car is off CPO.

That is, unless DANEWILSON77 decides to tell me what negatives he has heard about them...

Yeah. Waiting for Dane to give us the 411. :danehappy

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

kayger12
06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Paging Mr. I-Never-Miss-A-Post....

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't do underdrives...imho. Really not much of a gain, need to buy special belt, and may actually affect PS/Alt operation.

Idk....I read some stuff about them a while ago...and decided they weren't for me....but who knows...I may get bored and get em.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

johnrando
06-03-2011, 04:30 PM
I've got 'em, just hadn't put them on yet.

kayger12
06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't do underdrives...imho. Really not much of a gain, need to buy special belt, and may actually affect PS/Alt operation.

Idk....I read some stuff about them a while ago...and decided they weren't for me....but who knows...I may get bored and get em.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Roger that. Thanks.

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Roger that. Thanks.

Lol......you!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I entertain where I can...

midlandtech
06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
spoke to my buddy who works at the local dealership he said that they do net a small gain but that they can cause the alt to not charge the battery enough at low RPM and cause codes to be thrown... these codes would not necessarly hurt the vehicle though... I am now not sure if they will remain on the list

johnrando
06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
spoke to my buddy who works at the local dealership he said that they do net a small gain but that they can cause the alt to not charge the battery enough at low RPM and cause codes to be thrown... these codes would not necessarly hurt the vehicle though... I am now not sure if they will remain on the list

Hmmm, that is a little disconcerting. Maybe someone else can chime in with some expert opinion/advice.

kayger12
06-04-2011, 02:17 AM
I have done a decent amount of board surfing on this and haven't seem anyone reporting alternator or ses light issues.

If the alternator is a concern, I believe Turner offers an underdrive set that has an alternator pulley that is bigger than the one offered in their regular set.

Supposedly for people who run a lot of electronics or higher draw electronics, such as aftermarket amps.

Info here

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E46/c-129-bmw-underdrive-power-pulleys.aspx

These are the ones I'll be going with.

static667
06-04-2011, 02:47 AM
If you have a manual transmission, a short throw shifter and CDV delete are a must. The BMW Performance ssk is pretty sweet. I picked mine up from jlevi (http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/) for around $200. Major difference in how it shifts and feels.

gr330zhp
06-04-2011, 04:07 AM
I have done a decent amount of board surfing on this and haven't seem anyone reporting alternator or ses light issues.

If the alternator is a concern, I believe Turner offers an underdrive set that has an alternator pulley that is bigger than the one offered in their regular set.

Supposedly for people who run a lot of electronics or higher draw electronics, such as aftermarket amps.

Info here

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E46/c-129-bmw-underdrive-power-pulleys.aspx

These are the ones I'll be going with.

Keith, I have had Turner pulleys for three years now. No issues at all!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

danewilson77
06-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Keith, I have had Turner pulleys for three years now. No issues at all!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Stathi, they're underdrive pulleys, right? Or are they just lighter weight pulleys? Do you have to buy your belts from them?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
06-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Dane, when I had the Evosport pulleys, it did not require new belts. I was able to use stock ones.

danewilson77
06-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Dane, when I had the Evosport pulleys, it did not require new belts. I was able to use stock ones.

Ok...yeah...those weren't underdrive pulleys then...just lighter weight. The lighter weight pulleys wouldn't pose a problem. Got it Boss.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

bullfrogs_M3
06-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I have had UUC ones on now for over two years and have just uses the stock belt. No issues so far

danewilson77
06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I have had UUC ones on now for over two years and have just uses the stock belt. No issues so far

Mmm....I always thought underdrives used a different size belt.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

SkiB07
06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I've had UUC under-pulleys for about 4 years and it uses different size belt. As a matter of fact I just changed mine, odd number BUT available on the web

Marcus-SanDiego
06-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok...yeah...those weren't underdrive pulleys then...just lighter weight. The lighter weight pulleys wouldn't pose a problem. Got it Boss.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Actually, mine were underdrive pulleys. From Evosport's Web site:

Engineered not only to be the best pulley kits on the market, but to provide the best compromise between performance and reliability for your BMW! Specifically, we have designed them to underdrive the water pump, power steering pump and alternator*. These kits provide 10%-20% overall reduction in driving your car's systems and have been dyno tested to provide up to 12hp gain!

danewilson77
06-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Actually, mine were underdrive pulleys. From Evosport's Web site:

Engineered not only to be the best pulley kits on the market, but to provide the best compromise between performance and reliability for your BMW! Specifically, we have designed them to underdrive the water pump, power steering pump and alternator*. These kits provide 10%-20% overall reduction in driving your car's systems and have been dyno tested to provide up to 12hp gain!

Copy....you prolly never needed to change out belts. They are prolly ok.....just a lot of talk...if you know what I mean.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

murph
06-10-2011, 06:27 AM
The underdrive pulleys were the biggest power add I did to my car, and never caused me any problems. The old car still has the turner pulleys, the ZHP has Rogue.

murph
06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
I'd recommend some slightly stiffer springs and some swaybars. Specifically I'd recommend Eibach Pro-Kit springs and H&R sway bars. These will work fine with your ZHP dampers, will lower the car a bit, and will reduce body roll a lot. You'll love it.

midlandtech
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
thanks for the suggestion I will look into some more suspension stuff... I dont want the car much lower cause I already worry about scraping everywhere

ZHP-FTW
06-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Personally, I have to say the best bang for our buck would be........... Ebay headers and a tune. Will get you right around 20-25hp. Then after that would be a 3.38 or 3.46 diff.

midlandtech
06-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I've had lots of people both here and in person recomend the diff just not sure on the price... whats a good place to look?