PDA

View Full Version : Washer pump

cparker
06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
When I pull the lever to get washer fluid I don't get any fluid out of the spray nozzles. I found a few posts regarding this problem from a search of the forum and found that a few members have experienced clogged sprayer nozzles. I removed the line from the bottom of the washer tank and was able to blow through it and out the nozzles without any issue so I know they're not clogged. So then, with the line still removed, I pulled the lever inside the car to activate the pump, the pump started but no fluid came out.

My question is, could it be clogged at the bottom of the tank where the pump draws from?

OR

Is the pump just bad?

I'm leaning towards the pump being bad because the inside of the reservoir is clean, but I've found that cars can sometimes have quirky problems that you ussualy only can get info one from enthusiast forums such as this one so I wanted to ask before ordering a pump.

Mtnman
06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Pull the tank out and pull the pump out of the tank. There is a filter (built in) down there im pretty sure. or the pump could have debris in it too where it goes into the tank.
But, classic failure part. When you do replace it, spend the $35 on oem. the crappy cheap ones are crappy and cheap.

cparker
06-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I pulled the pump out last night and saw how it drew through a small stem. I didn't realize there was some sort of filter in there. I'll check tonight when i get home.

Oli77
06-03-2011, 06:26 AM
On mine, you don't have to pull tank out to get to pump. A new pump replacement is very very easy to exchange, no tools required. Make sure to change the grommet at the bottom, they often leak there.

Mtnman
06-03-2011, 06:36 AM
"filter" may not have been the right word, but more like "strainer". Im pretty sure Im remembering that correctly. I had all sorts of problems with mine for a while, so ive had that tank out and in my kitchen sink before trying to resolve an issue.

But, again, it is most likely the pump. I got on oem from my indie shop for $35 bucks.

And you are correct, Oli, you dont have to take out the tank to access the pump.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-03-2011, 07:07 AM
My washer pump failed at 59,000 miles. Replaced in 20 seconds. Yep, that easy.

cparker
06-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Yeah I was suprised at how easy the pump was to get out.

cparker
06-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm an idiot. I replaced the pump and it still didn't work. Didn't ever think to pull the screen. The screen was covered in a snot-like substance. Works fine now.

cparker
06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Pull the tank out and pull the pump out of the tank. There is a filter (built in) down there im pretty sure. or the pump could have debris in it too where it goes into the tank.
But, classic failure part. When you do replace it, spend the $35 on oem. the crappy cheap ones are crappy and cheap.

I agree with this statement. I got a cheap crappy one from NAPA. Much louder and lower pressure than stock.