PDA

View Full Version : Flat sound

cparker
06-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm generally unimpressed with the stock HK system. It sounds very flat no matter how I tweak the settings. I became quite alarmed today when i realized that the factory head unit is integrated with the HVAC controls and it doesn't look like an aftermarket head unit would fit. I usually install nice sound systems in my cars. My last car was pushing 1400 watts RMS.

Am I SOL?

ryankokesh
06-04-2011, 08:32 PM
You can move the hvac controls to where your little garage door is

http://ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/dynavin_installed.jpg

And yeah....the h/k isn't the best system ever. The speakers aren't normal sizes either...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cparker
06-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Very interesting!

mimalmo
06-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Step one: turn off that little button near your shifter that has a picture of a little speaker on it.

Step two: turn the speed adjusted volume down to the lowest setting

Step three: adjust bass and treble to your liking.

kayger12
06-05-2011, 03:48 AM
Step one: turn off that little button near your shifter that has a picture of a little speaker on it.

^^^
This.

Which reminds me- does anyone know how to adjust the speed adjusting volume down when you have the nav set up?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Jon D
06-05-2011, 03:49 AM
I'm generally unimpressed with the stock HK system. It sounds very flat no matter how I tweak the settings. I became quite alarmed today when i realized that the factory head unit is integrated with the HVAC controls and it doesn't look like an aftermarket head unit would fit. I usually install nice sound systems in my cars. My last car was pushing 1400 watts RMS.

Am I SOL?

No. They make adaptor plates so STD unit will go in. I replaced everything. See mod list below.
I

cparker
06-05-2011, 04:58 AM

Thank you, I'll give this a try!

mimalmo
06-05-2011, 06:23 AM
^^^
This.

Which reminds me- does anyone know how to adjust the speed adjusting volume down when you have the nav set up?

Not sure. But IIRC, on the Business CD, you hold down the music note button and use the + & - buttons to adjust. Pretty sure it needs to be done for each input (CD, radio, aux input, etc).

kayger12
06-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Not sure. But IIRC, on the Business CD, you hold down the music note button and use the + & - buttons to adjust. Pretty sure it needs to be done for each input (CD, radio, aux input, etc).

Yep, I think that's right.

Unfortunately, no music note button on the nav.

static667
06-05-2011, 07:08 AM
I was lucky enough to not have the nav system and I didn't have too much of an issue with the head unit swap. I would love to be able to replace the factory amp so I could get better sound but I don't have the loot to do that. I'll post a link of my front speaker install when I get to my computer.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

spencers
06-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Man, my HK system rocks my face off! I'm not sure why I see so many complaints about it...

If you can't solve the issue by changing settings, maybe one (or more) speakers are busted?

johnrando
06-05-2011, 10:56 AM
KG, I've done it before. Just have to remember how to get to the settings. I'll find it for you before the day is out.

kayger12
06-05-2011, 11:23 AM
KG, I've done it before. Just have to remember how to get to the settings. I'll find it for you before the day is out.

That would be awesome!

Thank you, sir.

Jon D
06-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Man, my HK system rocks my face off! I'm not sure why I see so many complaints about it...

If you can't solve the issue by changing settings, maybe one (or more) speakers are busted?

It's all a matter of expectations. When I bought mine got in the car turned on system set bass treble etc. Said this has to go. No definition at all. End up spending a couple of grand and it's real good not great but the vert limits sound options.

mimalmo
06-05-2011, 11:40 AM

I guess it's all perspective. If you've never heard better, it probably sounds fine. Lots of people tell me they've heard good car audio systems before and then describe a system that has massive subwoofers and can hit big decibel levels but little attention has been paid to the other speakers amps, etc. Most car audio installers don't even know the basics of how sound works and interacts in the car. I've heard plenty of "boom systems" over the years that can't create a realistic soundstage or produce true fidelity.

I agree with the OP though, the HK system is mediocre at best. Even with the settings that I described, it still struggles to sound good against even the most basic systems I've built over the years.

There was a guy on bfc that was building a high quality audio system in his E46 and was doing it right. Wish I could remember his user ID. IIRC, he was in Ohio or IN.

Washburn
06-05-2011, 11:59 AM
A lot will depend on what one and individual considers "good" sound quality.
Being a semi-audiophile, I think the HK system is "meh" but I can live with it, when I am in the car - I listen to a lot of talk radio like NPR and only listen to music on long trips with wifey, etc (I have a USA spec). For dialogs, with all the settings in the "mid" (Ton linear) position, and that "music note" thing turned off, I think it's 'ok'.

If I had to listen to the HK system's sound as my main system at home when listening to music on a serious level, I'd kill myself within a week. :)
But for background listening with NPR on, and news, BBC (via NPR), on my way to work, I think I can live with the HK sound. It's bass-heavy, so try turning down the bass -1 from middle and keep all adjustment else in middle, and see if anything improves.

cparker
06-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I agree. I did my last car "right", I did throrough sound insulation, top of the line digital Alpine amplifiers and speakers... yeah it was pushing a lot of power but it was clean, well balanced power. If I didn't just come from a vehicle that had such a finely tuned and well set up system I wouldn't complain, but to my ears the HK system is mediocre at best.

I'm fighting myself really hard but I can't see myself sticking with the stock HK system.

mimalmo
06-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Plenty of people have had success with keeping the stock deck and replacing the speakers and amplifiers. That way you retain the OEM look.

billschusteriv
06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I have heard the Bavarian Sound Works (BSW) system is okay - a little pricey... but that is the cost for having everything couple with the stock components. I may go this route eventually....

On my last car I went with Eclipse amplifiers and point source speakers all around. The difference in sound quality from that upgrade alone was amazing.

cparker
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I have heard the Bavarian Sound Works (BSW) system is okay - a little pricey... but that is the cost for having everything couple with the stock components. I may go this route eventually....

On my last car I went with Eclipse amplifiers and point source speakers all around. The difference in sound quality from that upgrade alone was amazing.

I'm really glad you brought up BSW... I noticed that they have a custom made ipod/iphone mount that I'm very excited about. I just received my USA SPEC ipod adapter yesterday, I'm going to have to check and see if their mount is compatible with it.

EDIT: I just contacted BSW and they off the mount with either USB or S-Video connections. I believe the USA spec unit has an S-Video output on it, I'll have to check when I get home.