PDA

View Full Version : OEM Suspension?

cparker
06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Is the oem stuff all black? I was poking around under the car and at 93k miles it looks like the car has original struts and shocks. Is this a reasonable assumption?

When I go over bumps at speed, my LF tire rubs the fender liner a bit. This led me to believe that my LF strut is shot. I'm running 20x8.5 35mm Zenetti Mystic wheels with 225/35r20 Toyo proxes tires.

I guess I really don't know how to diagnose bad struts/shocks. I've always heard of doing the "bounce" test, but I've tried that on cars with blown out shocks before and it really didn't tell me anything. The car is new to me, so I have no baseline to compare the handling on new struts/shocks.

mimalmo
06-06-2011, 11:28 AM
If it's all original and you have 93k miles, it's time to replace some parts and get an alignment. FCABs are likely shot too.

cparker
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah I have no idea as to the history of the car, but the shocks and struts on it are an OEM looking black. Usually anything aftermarket has some sort of coloring or badging. It could all be replacement OEM stuff as well.

Once I get all my parts in to get the powertrain all freshened up (filters, fluids, vanos kit etc. which should be by this weekend) I will start to look at the suspension.

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Typically....from what I have seen....the oem Sachs setup is black. I think you can reasonably assume it is the original setup.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

cparker
06-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Should I get any rubbing with this wheel/tire setup? Is it really the suspension or are these the wrong wheels and tires for this car? I noticed that the front tires are not only rubbing the fender liner but also the inside edge of the fender lip.

I don't think there's any way to adjust the ride height up, maybe I need camber plates?