PDA

View Full Version : Newb experimenting/bored - random pics...

Washburn
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
some more randoms:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0467.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0475crop.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0482edit.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0478crop.jpg

kayger12
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Are you using a macro lens, Wash?

Love the shots.

M0nk3y
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
The B/W pictures introduces alot of noise (and the last shot as well).

Other than that, nice

Washburn
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks.
No special macro lens; just the Nikkor 18-55 kit lens - it can focus pretty close. 1 or 2 of those pics might have been manual focus, had to do that when i got too close to the object - otherwise you can't release the shutter.

EDIT: yeah there's noise - I forgot to turn off the Auto ISO - again! Arrrgh!

kayger12
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I say a macro is in your future. You have a nice eye for close up shots.

johnrando
06-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Cool pics. I like the B&W one best. Being picky, since you were just messin' around, but maybe some opinions help form the craft. Personally, I would prefer more light on the top of the cork to highlight the words, and less on the end. Love the composition, the subjects, and the close ups.

Washburn
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
oh thanks guys - PLEASE point out anything you see - i have no other means of 'learning'...i am def thinking of a macro lens...when i feel i deserve it someday.

Alphatek45
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
B&W ftw. I wont attempt to articulate why I feel that way...but I do. Great shots.

kayger12
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
oh thanks guys - PLEASE point out anything you see - i have no other means of 'learning'...i am def thinking of a macro lens...when i feel i deserve it someday.

What John said is right on-- your eye tends to go to the lightest part of the picture-- which in the case of the cork is the front edge. Working a little overhead lighting would balance that out.

I take a lot of pics-- and I learn from everyone.

You've got the right attitude-- I always value criticism as it is often the best way to improve.

Washburn
06-06-2011, 03:12 PM
thanks for the lighting tip. I had the exposure compensation turned down 2 notches from normal, as I like dark looking pics, that might have contributed to it as well...
although I do find the texture details on the cork-bottom in 2nd pic (from top) also rather cool - it was accidental, though...

kayger12
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
The one rule with photography that I've learned is that there are no rules with photography-- there are guidelines, but some of the best shots I've seen violate one or more of the supposed rules.

C Withers Media
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
The one rule with photography that I've learned is that there are no rules with photography-- there are guidelines, but some of the best shots I've seen violate one or more of the supposed rules.

The rules are not supposed, they are in place as building blocks to teach people the basic fundamentals of photography...Once someone has a firm grasp of them, it is very normal to begin to see what boundaries can be pushed. It often looks like a blatant wrongdoing, but it is typically a very well thought and contrived "mistake".

I do agree with you though, the most dynamic shots are those that appear to violate the rules that photographers are taught, the reason being is that because those types of shots are improbable and surreal when done correctly.

My point is this, don't teach yourself bad habits in photography and try to hide behind the mask of art or creativity. There will be plenty of time for that when you have a firm grasp on the basics.

Wash, just keep shooting....It's the only way. Shots have some noise as identified, I used to do it too. Make a checklist and put check ISO on that checklist. I still have it on mine.

Try to change up your angles and reposition pieces so that you get different types of lighting to experiment. You may find that a different type of light placement makes for a far more dynamic shot.

Good work, keep shooting.

kayger12
06-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Great advice, Casey. Thanks.

Washburn
06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks Casey, for taking the time, and for the advice....i will keep shooting as much as time permits.
Right now I only have a D40 Nikon and Nikkor 18-55 (non VR) and Nikkor 55-200 VR lenses.

I will have a lot to learn before I can even think of more hardware.

spencers
06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
You need more light!!!

Grab a table lamp and place it over the subject

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Diggin the shots Washy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Washburn
06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Spencers, and Dane.

i guess i could have turned the exp. compensation to normal or a bit to the (+) side...I had it 2 steps to the (-) side, as there was a lot of sunlight coming in...
Will try that or the lamp next time...(hope no WB prob's to deal with LOL - I have to take these steps VERY slow as to not get overwhelmed)
...Thanks again for the tip(s).