PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on fog options?

cparker
06-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I have replacement fog housings coming that I got on ebay, and I'm scratching my head as to which direction to go in terms of bulbs.

In your opinion, should I:

A. Install white halogen bulbs

B. Install yellow halogen bulbs

C. Install white HID's

D. Install yellow HID's

johnrando
06-07-2011, 06:32 AM
I was told the other day when I mentioned that I was a considering HID fogs that those were a magnet for getting a ticket, as they are too bright. FWIW.

cparker
06-07-2011, 07:01 AM
I can definitely see where someone would think that, I had HID fogs on another vehicle and they were VERY bright.

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I say go with 6k halogens.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Cadeez
06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
My M3 xenons are VERY bright and not DOT approved, but they look freakin sweet... Here's a link to another chat about fogs.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1613-Fog-Lights-for-2005-E46-BMW-330-ZHP

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/jcadell/DSCN0868.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/jcadell/FirstEdit8.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/jcadell/FirstEdit9.jpg

cparker
06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Off topic, but do the halos in your headlights have a functional purpose or is it just cosmetic?

cparker
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I say go with 6k halogens.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

I'm leaning towards the 6k halogens at this point.

cparker
06-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Anyone had any experience with these? They look to be a halogen that's made to match the xenon color.

http://www.bimmian.com/46/XEN/

mimalmo
06-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Off topic, but do the halos in your headlights have a functional purpose or is it just cosmetic?

For most of us that have halos, angel eyes, whatever you prefer to call them, they replace daytime running lamps (DRL's).

danewilson77
06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
For most of us that have halos, angel eyes, whatever you prefer to call them, they replace daytime running lamps (DRL's).

+1...if I didn't have A/E's...I wouldn't be able to see at night...hehe.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Cadeez
06-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Cosmetic. We just wanna be like all the new BMW's...except brighter haha. Personally I just love the look... It's still my favorite mod on the car so far, they look freakin mean at dusk or on a nice overcast day...or even in the daylight! And as Mimalmo pointed out, I suppose you could say they are a sexier form of DRL than our stock halogens. which if you're planning to get AE's (halo's) you can get your stock DRL's turned off at the dealership.

johnrando
06-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Anyone had any experience with these? They look to be a halogen that's made to match the xenon color.

http://www.bimmian.com/46/XEN/

Those look very interesting, please let us know what you find out about them.

cparker
06-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm probably going to order a set along with a film kit for my fogs. I'll let you know how it goes.

static667
06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I think I'm now sold on AEs.

DeM3n
06-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Cosmetic. We just wanna be like all the new BMW's...except brighter haha. Personally I just love the look... It's still my favorite mod on the car so far, they look freakin mean at dusk or on a nice overcast day...or even in the daylight! And as Mimalmo pointed out, I suppose you could say they are a sexier form of DRL than our stock halogens. which if you're planning to get AE's (halo's) you can get your stock DRL's turned off at the dealership.

+1. Absolutely love them!

danewilson77
06-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Idk about anyone else, but my halos are my driving lights and actually do throw off a bit of light. In that regard I would say they are functional.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Newjack
06-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Idk about anyone else, but my halos are my driving lights and actually do throw off a bit of light. In that regard I would say they are functional.

I read this, then I bought angel eyes. *sigh*

danewilson77
06-25-2011, 07:02 PM
No worries. You won't regret it. Plus....they're called angel eyes. I mean...come on....who has that sheeeeeeeet?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Imola%20Bimmer/DSC03189sz1200.jpg

JohnnyGraphic
06-26-2011, 07:26 AM
I rarely if ever turn on my fogs. I keep getting cracks in the lens. So, before the winter comes, along with a set of new wiper blades, I'll probably get a pair of the cheap fogs with regular halogens. They seem to be disposable items on my car with all of the construction going on on my commute.

Although, the HIDs did look pretty sweet!

Johnny

postitpad
06-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Since we're on the topic. I have the factory fogs, and frankly, I forget they're there. When I turn them on they have very little effect on visibility (esp. in the fog, D'oh). I know they work because I can see them reflected in the rear of a car I pull close to at a light. So I guess my question is, do you guys have a different experience with them, or is it just for cosmetics? They do look pretty mean.

JohnnyGraphic
06-26-2011, 08:52 AM
I switch mine on in the rare fog or real heavy rain. Only to supplement my headlights. They aren't supposed to be brighter than the regular headlights. They're supposed to shine close to the ground (under the fog). As a side note, they don't go on with hi-beams because you don't use hi-beams in fog.

Not sure why yours don't work well in fog. Mine seem to work fine, but then again, I don't have a lot of fog. Probably turned my fog lights on a few times a year if that?

Johnny

static667
06-26-2011, 08:55 AM
No worries. You won't regret it. Plus....they're called angel eyes. I mean...come on....who has that sheeeeeeeet?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Imola%20Bimmer/DSC03189sz1200.jpg

:drool

ps. I miss that driveway.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-26-2011, 09:24 AM
^^ +1

DeM3n
06-27-2011, 01:05 PM
So here's a quick question since I'm going to be buying a set of 6k bulbs soon. I wanted my fogs to match so what would you all recommend or use in your ride?

Tapatalk...It's what the doctor ordered.

Rovert
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Projector headlights at 6000K will need a reflector based housing at 5000K to match color. :) I have 6K on both my lights and the fogs are much more blue/purple. I reckon if I got 5K it would have been the same color as 6K in my projectors. Although I have $300 Philips 6000K Ultinons in my projectors and cheapo 6000K HID bulbs in my fogs....lol.

HokieZHP
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
I get a LOT of fog at college and need the best fog light combo I can get without breaking the bank. I just got some Lamin-x films to try in yellow and they seem to have considerably dampened my light output. Would getting yellow bulbs be better in my stock halogens?

Rovert
07-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Lots of 'real' fog doesn't work well with HIDs. Their color output range will reflect back at you. You can get yellow Nokya 2500K halogen bulbs for your fogs and they'd do really good for fogs. I have those in my inner high beam halogens and they go far down the road when i need to see that far. Bi-xenons don't go as far as bright halogens for distance. HID 5K+ fogs in real fog would be total write-off to see at night!

HokieZHP
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
These? http://www.amazon.com/Nokya-Arctic-Halogen-Headlight-Alcohol/dp/B004PSAFRQ

If so I'll give them a shot and see! Can't hurt for only $19

Rovert
07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Yup that's the brand. Just make sure you get the right bulb. That looks like a dual low/high beam bulb. Check on wattages too. My inner high beams are running 70 watts. But I think fogs need to be lower...haha.

lilcdkey
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Im going to be trying LED fogs soon. I'll put up a review. My brother has HID fogs on his E92 and theyre so bright, they look awesome.

Rovert
07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Won't LED be only for looks rather than functionality? I guess it's the same as angel eyes...enough light for others to see you, but not enough to see while traveling at 30MPH. But then some mountain bike light LED systems are super bright! Do let us know what kinda light output the new stuff has!

lilcdkey
07-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Won't LED be only for looks rather than functionality? I guess it's the same as angel eyes...enough light for others to see you, but not enough to see while traveling at 30MPH. But then some mountain bike light LED systems are super bright! Do let us know what kinda light output the new stuff has!

Lol im not expecting much light output from it. I just want them for looks and to match my hid headlights. I don't really need much more lights then hids already give me

MOTOROLA ATRIX TAPATALK