PDA

View Full Version : Hood Latch and Roundels

Newjack
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Since these are both minor questions I didn't think it was necessary to make a thread for each.

So I just installed my black kidney grills and roundels from Khoalty when I noticed that my hood latch is sticking out of the grill. I know that it is supposed to pop out when you pull the pop hood switch from inside the car, but I didn't think it's supposed to stick out even when the hood is closed. Is it supposed to do this? Did I break mine somehow when I closed my hood?

Also when I replaced the roundel on the trunk I noticed that the left grommet was cracked. When I put the replacement roundel in it, it does stay put, but I can pry it off fairly easily with my hand. Is there any way to make it fit snug? (I'm not sure if the grommet is the issue here, the original roundel seemed to fit in just fine.) Otherwise I'm sure I can go to a stealership for some extra grommets.

billschusteriv
06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
How far is your hood latch sticking out from the grill? Mine sits almost flush with the front of my kidney.

I'll look at some drawings of the hood latch after I finish my commute...

Newjack
06-07-2011, 01:39 PM
EDIT: It looks like this.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3636/0607011735.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8571/0607011742.jpg

billschusteriv
06-07-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/o/b/166.png

kayger12
06-07-2011, 02:30 PM
EDIT: It looks like this.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3636/0607011735.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8571/0607011742.jpg

Definitely shouldn't look like that.

Make sure that you have the hood latch going through the right place in the grill and not wedged one grill fin too far over. Shouldn't be any pressure on the latch from the sides at all.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

billschusteriv
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
How does the hood latch release lever feel during use? It is tight on the pull and still "pop" at the end?

Newjack
06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
How does the hood latch release lever feel during use? It is tight on the pull and still "pop" at the end?

No it's not. It kindof wiggles until I lift it up hard enough, then it makes a pop noise and I feel like I'm going to break it off lifting the hood up. It was already like this before I installed the kidney grills so I know that I didn't mess up the kidney grill installation. Is there a proper way to close the hood? I don't know what I did to it. :scratchinghead

kayger12
06-07-2011, 03:06 PM
No it's not. It kindof wiggles until I lift it up hard enough, then it makes a pop noise and I feel like I'm going to break it off lifting the hood up. It was already like this before I installed the kidney grills so I know that I didn't mess up the kidney grill installation. Is there a proper way to close the hood? I don't know what I did to it. :scratchinghead

You're not doing anything wrong- just sounds like the latch is broken.

When you close the hood, the latch should pull in flush with grill fins on its own.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I bet latch isn't broken. Does your drivers side grill, have a small cutout for the latch to rest in, when shut?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Newjack
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I bet latch isn't broken. Does your drivers side grill, have a small cutout for the latch to rest in, when shut?

I'm not sure but I think it does. The latch can be pushed into the grill while the hood is closed just like it is supposed to, but it doesn't stay that way unless I hold it.

danewilson77
06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure but I think it does. The latch can be pushed into the grill while the hood is closed just like it is supposed to, but it doesn't stay that way unless I hold it.

Mmph.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

billschusteriv
06-08-2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/o/b/166.png

Sounds like a similar problem I was having with my e30. My indy mechanic would always adjust the cable for me to resolve the issue. Several times I was convinced it was broken and I was going to have to replace the mechanism... but he'd be able to adjust it and get it working again.

I haven't adjusted it myself... but I believe the adjustable part is numbered 6 and/or 7 - this is for the mechanism that goes from the latch inside to the handle outside.

Tampa330i
06-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Adding my 2 cents on the hood emblem, I'd replace the grommets. My new trunk emblem was loose and I got new grommets, fits perfect now. I didn't bother trying the old hood grommets, I just replaced them. And a helpful note for anyone who's not aware: the hood and trunk emblems use different sized grommets.

Newjack
06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a similar problem I was having with my e30. My indy mechanic would always adjust the cable for me to resolve the issue. Several times I was convinced it was broken and I was going to have to replace the mechanism... but he'd be able to adjust it and get it working again.

I haven't adjusted it myself... but I believe the adjustable part is numbered 6 and/or 7 - this is for the mechanism that goes from the latch inside to the handle outside.

So I fiddled with it again yesterday when I was washing my car. I can push the latch down by hand and it will be flush with the grills, but it won't stay there. And if I lift up on it after I pull the pop hood latch, it seems like I'm gonna break it off. It doesn't always lift the hood right away. I looked around to see what was in the wrong place or what wasn't working right, but it's hard because I don't know what a proper hood latch should look like/behave.

I'll take a look again and see if it might be 6 or 7 on the diagram but I'm not 100% sure where to find those.

spig
06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
There is a thin strip of metal that presses against the upper radiator support beam. It acts like a spring to push the arm into the kidney grill. You can try to bend the strip out a little and it will push the arm in. Try not to bend it too much or too often. I eventually had mine break and had to buy a new latch. It was only about $20.