PDA

View Full Version : Part fell off while changing fuel filter!

cparker
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Jeeze guys I was changing my fuel filter and this little part fell out from up by the transmission!!! What do I do??

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae265/cparker26/DSC00121.jpg

:biggrin

static667
06-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh noes! That part was considered vital by the BMW engineers! Take it and throw it into the nearest trash receptacle before it makes it way back to your car.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

spencers
06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Throw it in the trash! Those little bastards are evil!

BCS_ZHP
06-11-2011, 08:18 PM
That looks like the clutch delay valve (CDV). Look inside of it, does it look like it narrows down and restricts the flow of fluid? If so, some previous owner removed the CDV and just left it sitting up on the transmission somewhere. I'm amazed that it didn't fall out on the road some time earlier when you where driving.

One way you can tell if its the CDV is if those male threads showing in the photo should match the female threads on the other end of the valve, thus they took it out and just connected the two ends of the hydraulic clutch line. That's a common DIY mod to give more spirited shifting potential. Hope that helps.

cparker
06-11-2011, 10:52 PM
That looks like the clutch delay valve (CDV). Look inside of it, does it look like it narrows down and restricts the flow of fluid? If so, some previous owner removed the CDV and just left it sitting up on the transmission somewhere. I'm amazed that it didn't fall out on the road some time earlier when you where driving.

One way you can tell if its the CDV is if those male threads showing in the photo should match the female threads on the other end of the valve, thus they took it out and just connected the two ends of the hydraulic clutch line. That's a common DIY mod to give more spirited shifting potential. Hope that helps.

Thanks man, but you must've missed the smiley at the bottom of the post. I removed the CDV while I was under there replacing my fuel filter. :)

ELCID86
06-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Is that a recommended mod (de-mod)? Guess I need to search the DIY.

Au2bahn
06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh Bruce......these young kids are funny these days. Definitely better with it off. Engages better and less to no slippage with hard shifts.