PDA

View Full Version : 'C' Pillar Trim DIY doityourself

danewilson77
10-30-2010, 08:11 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214885

Enjoy!

jjcools
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Nice, thanks Dane. I am going to be replacing my C-Pillars this weekend.

danewilson77
11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Sweetness....

Don't remove the rear seat...lol

jjcools
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, thanks I saw that on the DIY. I might anyway, I am going to be getting my rear windows tinted so I might clear it all out so they can't mess anything up.

I got my pillars in the mail today. It is odd though, they seem to be different than the ones I have. The ones on the car look more like a carpet material and the ones that came look more like the roof material and the material by the homelink area. I will have to wait and look at it better on saturday in the daylight.

danewilson77
12-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Mmm....make sure it is correct. Whem I replaced my interior passenger sunshade....they sent me a vinyl one first....instead of the cloth.

jjcools
12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
They were correct, just looked different at first. I got them in finally. I painted the rear deck cause it was faded and had turned purple. Looks like new, now I just need tint.

danewilson77
12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Nice....ima limo tint my sunroof glass...and prolly go 25% all around.

aurelius
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
About to do AB&C pillars on a relative's '02 E46 with the light gray headliner.

Anyone have experience with 3M Headliner Spray Adhesive for the job of reattaching the fabric to the pillars? I ask because that is what I have in-hand but I'll go buy the stuff pictured in Dane's DIY it it's better and or easier to deal with.

Also, Dane, please post a link to the A-pillar DIY you mention in your C-pillar DIY.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
I'll shoot Dave -- over at 2M Auto Body -- a note about adhesives. I'll get back to you shortly.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Just talked to Dave. He swears by this stuff: 3M Super 77 Multi-Purpose Adhesive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CGRPPE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B001CGRPPE)

He says that's what they use in the body shop. He says that Home Depot should have it. About $10-$12 per can.

Make sure it's 3M Super 77, he says.

aurelius
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Found it. $10 at HD. Got some blue Loctite too for another project. Finally used an ancient HD store credit. The proverbial 3 birds, one stone...

danewilson77
05-31-2011, 02:28 PM
That's what I used....link to A pillars coming...

Adding Pics now...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3130-A-Pillar-mod...BMW-E46&p=65369#post65369

Marcus-SanDiego
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Found it. $10 at HD. Got some blue Loctite too for another project. Finally used an ancient HD store credit. The proverbial 3 birds, one stone...

Excellent.

aurelius
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Who knows how to remove B-pillar trim? Disengage front seat belt anchors?

danewilson77
06-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Who knows how to remove B-pillar trim? Disengage front seat belt anchors?

Post #2

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7249

aurelius
06-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Just talked to Dave. He swears by this stuff: 3M Super 77 Multi-Purpose Adhesive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CGRPPE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B001CGRPPE)

Make sure it's 3M Super 77, he says.

Marcus,

Did your guy know this was going to be used on interior fabric?

I ask because the Super 77 can indicates "not for use on automotive headliners." Then again, I'm not doing the headliner. Also says "not for use on expanded polystyrene foam." Which I'm assuming may be the backing under (technically above) the actual headliner.

Anyhow, removing pillar trim now and just wanted to verify he made this suggestion knowing it'll be applied to interior fabric...

static667
06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I had no issues with it when I did my pillars. The Super 77 worked like a champ.

aurelius
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Ok, so I have the a-pillar trim off. I'll leave feedback about that in the a-pillar thread but in the meantime, WTF with those c-pillar covers? To those who have done it, did you pry them off with your fingers or what? I am not sure which is going to crack apart first, my fingertips or the trim piece. I've quit for now, please chime in. It'll so help my blood pressure. On the flip side, so loving it that I'm "practicing" this on someone else's E46.....

And if anyone can look up the TRQ spec on the lower seat belt bolt that needs to come off for the b-pillar covers, that'd be swell too.

static667
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Ok, so I have the a-pillar trim off. I'll leave feedback about that in the a-pillar thread but in the meantime, WTF with those c-pillar covers? To those who have done it, did you pry them off with your fingers or what? I am not sure which is going to crack apart first, my fingertips or the trim piece. I've quit for now, please chime in. It'll so help my blood pressure. On the flip side, so loving it that I'm "practicing" this on someone else's E46.....

And if anyone can look up the TRQ spec on the lower seat belt bolt that needs to come off for the b-pillar covers, that'd be swell too.

There is a screw behind the light on the pillars. Other than that, it's all clips. I broke a clip on each of my c-pillars. It's an inevitable thing with me.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/static_667/2011-02-19121505.jpg

Note the clip at the top. There was a second one to the left but it died a terrible death by my hands.

aurelius
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
There is a screw behind the light on the pillars. Other than that, it's all clips. I broke a clip on each of my c-pillars. It's an inevitable thing with me.

Oh, I'll have a full report on broken clips, and more.

But please clarify, do I have to pull the light out and remove said screw before I try to pop the c-pillar cover?

static667
06-03-2011, 02:32 AM

But please clarify, do I have to pull the light out and remove said screw before I try to pop the c-pillar cover?

Yes. The light must come out and the screw removed before you pop the clips loose.

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 05:07 AM

No...light will come out with cover...but only an inch or so. You will need to reach in behind and unplug it.

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Yes. The light must come out and the screw removed before you pop the clips loose.

Not arguing...but I have never had to remove said screw. Mine have always just popped out. Maybe coupe is different. My 325 and ZHP are/were both sedans.

If you look at the link I have...post #1...my C pillar is different than your's (no bracket for a screw).

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214885

aurelius
06-03-2011, 06:50 AM
My epic battle with the B- and C-Pillars continues. No progress. Lighting assembly aside, did you guys use your fingers for C-Pillar removal? Wearing gloves to protect the fabric from sweat, flies are biting me, and I have about another 14 seconds of shade until I have to bag this until 5PM when I can begin again in the 100F shade on the other side of the house.

aurelius
06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Plan B for the C-Pillars: I'm trying to remove the rear seat altho that won't help at all with the upper clips on the C-Pillar. The bottom cushion comes out just fine but once again, nowhere to put my fingers for seat back cushion removal.

I think you guys with small children have been leaving something out of your DIY's...

aurelius
06-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Update: I got the rear seat back cushion out. Which, at least on this '02 325i, was insanely difficult. Nothing broke, tho.

Ended up using the handle side of a specialized tool made for my scooter's transmission variator. It worked fine as a pry bar but something plastic & rigid with no sharp edges would be more ideal. Pry the top of the seat back away from rear speaker deck just enough to get some fingers in there.

And yes, quite the time capsule was found below the bottom cushion (which comes out easily - try it, you'll probably find some treasure).

Still no luck with the B or C pillars. They are evidently very content with the status quo.

Meantime, here's a little mystery. Loose electrical connector on psgr side under rear seat cushion.

Anyone?

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l584/aurelius3/Random%20BMW%20Pics/0a089123.jpg

aurelius
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Update:

I did finally get the C pillar covers off, without breaking any clips. The right side cover was ridiculously difficult - I used a pry tool on the top and that's what popped the 2 clips.

The left side was much easier altho I did also use the pry tool there.

3M Super 77 worked incredibly well. I wore gloves and for obvious reasons used the product outdoors. Lay down some paper or plastic below your trim pieces, there will be some overspray but no runoff.

For now at least, not removing B pillar trim. Was able to tuck the fabric back around the shoulder belt height adjuster surrounding trim.

I predict it'll work its way back out again due to friction from the shoulder belt but I'll deal with it at that time.

danewilson77
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
So....the question remains...is there a screw, or WAS there a screw under the light.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

aurelius
06-05-2011, 08:11 PM
No screw. Tiny electrical connector only. And not a tricky one: just a little pull. [sedan]

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 02:37 AM
No screw. Tiny electrical connector only. And not a tricky one: just a little pull. [sedan]

Ha! I knew it!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

static667
06-06-2011, 02:39 AM

I have a coupe...slightly different, I see.

danewilson77
06-06-2011, 03:23 AM
I have a coupe...slightly different, I see.

Ok...so....the coupes have a lil screw. Thanks for the data point static. I have been Droid specific, and can't see everyones details.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!