PDA

View Full Version : Interior maintenance, paint?

cparker
06-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Has anyone had any success in repairing or reducing the appearance of scratches in the black cube trim? My rear arm rests have a few scratches.

Also, has anyone found a good plastic paint that closely matches the stock black interior color? I have a couple small areas where the front doors are peeling by the speakers, and also my center console has a couple of wear spots.

Thanks in advance.

danewilson77
06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Eduardo was saying he knows how to restore black cube trim.

cparker
06-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Eduardo? I searched for that username and didn't come up with anything.

Mtnman
06-14-2011, 12:47 PM
dotpage

danewilson77
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Eduardo? I searched for that username and didn't come up with anything.

Yeah....sorry.

Plastidip would worl for the plastic interior pieces.....don't know exactly what people use on door panels. See if you can find an interior color change thread.

Also be advised that many of the interior plug and play components are pretty cheap.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

cparker
06-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I just so happen to have a couple cans of black plasti-dip. Yeah, I see that some of the interior parts are cheap, but the scratched black cube and the door panels definitely are not!

danewilson77
06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
True....

kayger12
06-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I've read several threads where people used a thin black sharpie on the black cube trim. I believe zhpnsnv has done this as well.

zhpnsnv
06-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I've read several threads where people used a thin black sharpie on the black cube trim. I believe zhpnsnv has done this as well.

I have. It works fine. Not perfect but good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cparker
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I have done the same thing on a few other spots, I'll try it on the black cube. Black sharpie FTW on black interiors, I've been doing it for years.

CERF04ZHP
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

+1

Hermes
09-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Gonna bring another one back to life... Ok so I have "redone" my black cube, not perfect but a hell of a lot cheaper than new trim. Haven't taken apart my doors yet to do the handles but hopefully soon.

Before (this is old, forgot to take one right before I did this)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/IMG_1242.jpg

After
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/61ea770b.jpg

This is a marker solution but I did it a little different. Used a Bic Mark-It chisel tip fat marker.

http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img072/azrbicgpmm11bk.gif

After having a few marker spots randomly spaced over time from dealing with scratches I didn't like how it looked so I pulled the piece out completely and covered it in marker. After it dries to the touch it will have this weird purple shine to it. Spray it with some all purpose cleaner then buff it down with an old rag really good. It will get rid of that purple color and leave a shiny black trim piece. In the right lighting you can still kinda see the purple shine but it has to be just right. Also, it doesnt perfectly solve scratches, so just do another round of marker/buffing to your satisfaction.

danewilson77
09-21-2011, 05:13 PM
That looks great.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
09-21-2011, 06:02 PM
thank you. just make sure you 'paint' the marker on evenly. works like anything else you paint, if you have bad lines it will show through to the final product.