PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel clank

Kudos
06-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Hey guys, i wanted to know if this noise is normal or if something's loose. When i put my hands at 9 and 3, and twist one direction or the other it makes a noise. Is the steering wheel loose or is this knock normal? Also what the hell could be loose over there? It almost seems like the steering wheel moves an nth of an inch when i do this.

ZSP-Mafia
06-17-2011, 09:57 AM
I have the same issue with mine, and every single component of the front steering/suspension is brand new, including the steering coupler. I'm starting to suspect it may be the steering rack.

danewilson77
06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
I was gonna say steering guibo. Your noise is not normal. Mark status of your suspension components.

Kudos
06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't think it would be something that deep, it sounds like its pretty close to the interior of the car, some bolt loose or something. any1 else have this issue?

Suspension components are all original. This will occur whether i'm sitting in idle or driving making a turn and putting a little pressure on the steering wheel from the 9 or 3 o'clock position.

Kudos
06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I noticed something different today. I noticed that the actual steering wheel moves to the left and right, but the central airbag and horn stay put. Is there any ring or something that could be loose causing this??

danewilson77
06-24-2011, 04:23 PM
I noticed something different today. I noticed that the actual steering wheel moves to the left and right, but the central airbag and horn stay put. Is there any ring or something that could be loose causing this??

Oh shit. That's odd.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

ZSP-Mafia
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
That... Should not be possible. There is a clock spring in there that you definitely do not want to disturb. Does the airbag actually not move at all or does it just rattle around independently of the wheel?

Kudos
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
no, when i push left and right physically from the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, the steering wheel itself moves, but where it seperates from the airbag i can see the airbag is not moving with the wheel.

MrMaico
06-25-2011, 09:32 AM
It sounds like possibly one or more of the three screws that hold the airbag mounting plate could be loose. You will have to pull the airbag and see what's going on back there.

You can see the screws here. The two safety pin looking springs are what hold the airbag in place. Possible one of those broke? I suppose there could be a chance the bolt holding the wheel on is loose but those splines are pretty fine so even if it was loose I doubt it would allow the wheel to have left to right play in it.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0715/1188798602_DkLPD-M.jpg

The 3 allen (or torx, can't recall) should all be snug tight.

Here is a DIY for airbag removal. Don't forget to unhook the battery first. It really pretty easy to remove though. You just need to get the feel for where the 2 spring releases are for the airbag.

http://cobywheel.com/diy%20files/bmw_steering_%20wheel_removal.pdf

Another.....

http://www.my330i.com/mod23.php#D

Good luck.....Barry

Kudos
06-27-2011, 07:35 AM
4th of july project i guess. That and oil change from the top.