PDA

View Full Version : For those who speed...

M0nk3y
06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
...Which should be all of you :lol:

And have a smartphone, download this app.

www.trapster.com

Basically what it is, it's an app that tracks where cops are hiding and doing radar. It keeps past locations and if another user within a time period reports a cop it updates it and alerts you of that potential threat.

So far I've been running it for a month or so and I haven't had a close call yet. Very Cool..

You can see redlight cameras, speed cameras, mobile speed cars...etc. It even reports on accidents, potential road closings, ice on the road.

It's free as well.

(I don't condone speeding, and do not know what speeding is)

danewilson77
06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Very cool stuff.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Johnmadd
06-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Seen this before and didn't try it. Does it have a one button alert or auto alert or do you have to type in where the popo are?

M0nk3y
06-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Seen this before and didn't try it. Does it have a one button alert or auto alert or do you have to type in where the popo are?

Auto alert for a distance you can set (I have mine alerting me a mile out) It can do audio and vibration alerts. If you pass a cop you push a button on the screen and it will mark that spot.

Johnmadd
06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Auto alert for a distance you can set (I have mine alerting me a mile out) It can do audio and vibration alerts. If you pass a cop you push a button on the screen and it will mark that spot.

Im on it dude.

M0nk3y
06-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Im on it dude.

Awesome.

Until I get a GPS mount for mine...I just leave it on my lap and I can hear it and feel it vibrate. I run my 8500x50 but with so many cops running LIDAR now that this app has been helping me. Cops in Texas are actually using this app to report their own position. They said that the more people know; the more will slow down and be aware

static667
06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Awesome.

Until I get a GPS mount for mine...I just leave it on my lap and I can hear it and feel it vibrate. I run my 8500x50 but with so many cops running LIDAR now that this app has been helping me. Cops in Texas are actually using this app to report their own position. They said that the more people know; the more will slow down and be aware

That's an interesting idea. They could also use it to put out false information and use it as a trap.

billschusteriv
06-20-2011, 05:01 AM
I checked this out on the way to work this morning. All of the speed cameras, school zones, and known enforcement areas were up to date.

The only gripe (or suggested improvement) I have is for them to include an option to post locations of temporary, stationary speed cameras. The county I work in (Montgomery County, MD) deploys speed cameras in boxes that look like residential power transformers along roadsides. They were posting the locations of the temporary cameras on their website... but it would be nice to be able to update Trapster with that type of information.

I make it a habit not to speed on my way to work... but knowing where these cameras are will alert me to potential slow downs. I have found that when these devices are deployed, it causes people to slow down... significantly... and it will often cause rear end collisions as one person will slam on their brakes as they approach/pass the camera. The speed of traffic near these devices is often 5 or 10 miles an hour below the speed limit even if the camera is set to catch a speeder 5-8 mph above the limit.

So I see this as a useful tool in an area you are unfamiliar with or don't drive through regularly.

kpro
06-20-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm old skool, I take my chances and get what I deserve...which is usually just pulled over and let go with a warning :)

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm old skool, I take my chances and get what I deserve...which is usually just pulled over and let go with a warning :)

Then you're not getting what you deserve.

Whitexi
06-20-2011, 07:39 AM
KPRO how many times were you pulled over on the way to the meet lol.

az3579
06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
KPRO how many times were you pulled over on the way to the meet lol.

I can only imagine...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cakM3
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I used to use Trapster on my iPhone until I discovered another similar app... RadarActive. With RadarActive I can interface the app/iPhone to my Valentine V1 radar detector and it automatically logs police radar in the app when the V1 detects it. :thumbsup I am also able to report police traps as I go along any given route and like Trapster, people using this app who make reports are shown on the app screen as well.

The part I like best is that it works alongside my V1. :thumbsup

Here is the link and additional info to their website: http://radaractive.com/

The link to my install on my ///M3 here: http://radaractive.com/forum/showthread.php?73-2004-BMW-M3-Coupe

At present I am not aware if you can do this with Trapster. Just saying...

OP, not meaning to threadjack but just passing along additional info. :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Very nice. I'd like to hook up my V1 and this app.

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Very nice. I'd like to hook up my V1 and this app.

..But then...Christy would'nt have a phone...hehe

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
No. I have my ipad.

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 09:58 AM
No. I have my ipad.

ahhhhhhh....right.

RITmusic2k
06-20-2011, 10:00 AM
FYI guys, this may not last much longer; Apple heeded a plea from a few US senators and plans to remove all apps that provide DUI checkpoint functionality. At this point, it'll be on trapster to revise their program, otherwise the whole thing will be removed. Once you already have it, it's yours... but future purchases are at risk.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-bans-dui-checkpoint-apps/

Ryans323i
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm a complete noob when it comes to apps. I have an andriod phone (LG ally) and I went ahead and downloaded this app. When I open it I only see a map of San Mateo county, CA. I turned on my GPS like it told me to. I did a search through the app and was able to see where I live, but it doesn't show my actual location. What do I need to do to get my actual location to show up when I open the app?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
And while we are at it, this reminder: the Apple app store is an affiliate (you're clicking an affiliate link now) (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=SX71HVGMNEk&offerid=146261.10001924&type=4&subid=0) of ZHPMafia.com and BMWMafia.com.

Johnmadd
06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Just tried trapster, it spoke to me and said "dangerous intersection ahead" and damn if there wasn't one right ahead. I like so far.

Johnmadd
06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm a complete noob when it comes to apps. I have an andriod phone (LG ally) and I went ahead and downloaded this app. When I open it I only see a map of San Mateo county, CA. I turned on my GPS like it told me to. I did a search through the app and was able to see where I live, but it doesn't show my actual location. What do I need to do to get my actual location to show up when I open the app?

Push the blue girls on the lower right.

Ryans323i
06-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Push the blue girls on the lower right.

Ok, I figured it. I don't have the column of blue icons running down the right hand side. For me it's just a square button w/ a blue dot in the center in the bottom RH corner.

Pretty cool. Looks like there's some active users in my area.

Crickett
06-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I totally expected to read "For those who speed . . . we salute you!"

I think I'll be giving Trapster a try; something about the pending removal of an app makes me rush out to get it.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Haha. I downloaded the trapster too. Just to have. Just in case.

kpro
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Then you're not getting what you deserve.

burn. :applause

BP: I didn't get pulled over on the way to or from the meet, just once on Sunday on the way to dinner, speed limit dropped 20mph, and I didn't. My problem is the highways, I go 80-85. I make a concious effort NOT to speed in neighborhoods and 2 lane roads.

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I been using it all day....but I seem to be on top of the spot when I get the warning. I want eaaaaaarrrrly warning.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

M0nk3y
06-20-2011, 03:33 PM
FYI guys, this may not last much longer; Apple heeded a plea from a few US senators and plans to remove all apps that provide DUI checkpoint functionality. At this point, it'll be on trapster to revise their program, otherwise the whole thing will be removed. Once you already have it, it's yours... but future purchases are at risk.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/08/apple-bans-dui-checkpoint-apps/

Trapster already has worked with this and removed this feature. If you go on their website and look at the blog they address it

I totally expected to read "For those who speed . . . we salute you!"

I think I'll be giving Trapster a try; something about the pending removal of an app makes me rush out to get it.

Read above

I been using it all day....but I seem to be on top of the spot when I get the warning. I want eaaaaaarrrrly warning.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Go into your settings and adjust the warning range. I have mine a mile out

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Trapster already has worked with this and removed this feature. If you go on their website and look at the blog they address it

Read above

Go into your settings and adjust the warning range. I have mine a mile out

Done. I was going to system settings instead of scrolling down to notification settings. Thanks for the kind nudge.