PDA

View Full Version : So I failed my MD inspection...

Newjack
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
My car has 35% tints all around (except windshield) and the shop isn't certified to pass my vehicle. (Even though they have the equipment to check it and it is already legal). So I have to take it an MVA sherifs office or something that is only open 1 day a week for 3 hours. I hate Maryland.

So the other thing that dinged during the inspection was my cracked serpentine belt. It looks like it is on its way out. So I want to replace that within the next couple days. I don't really want to order the parts online because I only have a week before the temp tags on my car expire (End of June), and I don't have a lot of time to wait around for shipping.

So does anyone recommend that I get the belts from Advance or a local store? I wanted to replace the pulleys at the same time too. (I think its 2 tensioner pulleys and an idler pulley that would be replaced).

Any brand that I should avoid? Please advise.:dunno

shadowpuck
06-20-2011, 01:20 PM
several of the big online places (bimmerworld, turner, bavarian autosport, etc.) are in your area and could get you anything you needed very quickly.

also, if you are a BMW CCA (car club of America) member, you get discounts at the dealer. Tischer BMW also offers discounted parts pricing.

Continental belts should be available just about anywhere, have run them for years on various cars and never had a problem.

Hornung418
06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
several of the big online places (bimmerworld, turner, bavarian autosport, etc.) are in your area and could get you anything you needed very quickly.

also, if you are a BMW CCA (car club of America) member, you get discounts at the dealer. Tischer BMW also offers discounted parts pricing.

Continental belts should be available just about anywhere, have run them for years on various cars and never had a problem.

LOL Maryland is not Massachusetts...

Just get some Contitech belts from AutoZone and get your inspection. Unless your Engine is ticking, I would worry about the tensioners and pulleys later.

shadowpuck
06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
point being, with so many choices on the east coast and in the general vicinity, if you wanted to order parts from an online place you'll have them pretty darn quick as opposed to someone ordering parts from Turner while they are in Alaska......

regardless, agreed, belts don't have to be a dealer item.

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Anywhere that stocks Continental belts....and you should be good.

billschusteriv
06-20-2011, 02:48 PM
+1. Depending on where you are in MD (sorry I don't remember NewJack- I could check but I'm mobile), you can order from getbmwparts.com and opt to pick up locally at Tischer/BMW of Silver Spring.

That said - agree with others. Conti belts from anywhere should be ok for now.

Newjack
06-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I can't find any local store that carries Contitech belts. The only thing I'm seeing is Dayco, which sounds like a horrible brand.

I just looked up getbmwparts.com and it is only 20 minutes away from my house which is awesome. But it is kindof confusing to figure out which is the right part for my car because you can't select a specific model, just 3 series in general. So which part is it? The red one or the blue one?

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2167/serpentineo.jpg

Hornung418
06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Red is for the alternator/water pump.
Blue is for the A/C.
Check your Crank Pulley to see if you need a 4 or 5 rib A/C belt.

EDIT: Your Circles don't coincide with the proper description. The top line item should read Serpentine. That might be the source of your confusion.

Newjack
06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Red is for the alternator/water pump.
Blue is for the A/C.
Check your Crank Pulley to see if you need a 4 or 5 rib A/C belt.

I only see one AC belt sold for the 330i on that list. Do different model years have a different number of ribs?

EDIT: Ah ok that makes more sense now. I guess I should just go ahead and buy both belts, the serpentine belt for $32.20 and the AC belt for $19.21

billschusteriv
06-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a solid plan.

Newjack
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Just ordered the belts. I hope it doesn't take too long before they tell me I can come pick them up.

I really appreciate everyones help. Thanks! :thumbsup

danewilson77
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
I only see one AC belt sold for the 330i on that list. Do different model years have a different number of ribs?

EDIT: Ah ok that makes more sense now. I guess I should just go ahead and buy both belts, the serpentine belt for $32.20 and the AC belt for $19.21

NJ............................always check your part numbers at www.realoem.com..........

then just do a part search at Tischer......ahem....I mean www.autohausAZ.com (ZHPMafia.com affiliate) (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10701773).

Newjack
06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
NJ............................always check your part numbers at www.realoem.com..........

then just do a part search at Tischer......ahem....I mean www.autohausAZ.com (ZHPMafia.com affiliate) (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10701773).

Roger that.