PDA

View Full Version : Lots of tire noise from Goodyear F1's

HokieZHP
06-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I have a set of Goodyear f1 tires on my car. Rear have <5k miles. Front have more. But I have A LOT of tire noise from them. Especially at higher speeds. Does anyone here have experience with these tires and have experienced the same thing or is something else wrong like my tires are cupped?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I've never had those tires but some tires are just plain noisy. I had some Sumitomos (back in the day) that sounded like monster truck tires. They were perfectly fine. Also had a set of Yokes that were louder than I appreciated. For the record, the quietest tires I've had were the Bridgestone S-03 (pole position). Not the new ones. This was about 9 years ago. Best tires ever.

Hopefully someone with your tires, though, can chime in.

zhpnsnv
06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
F1s are typically very quiet and comfortable. I've had two sets of them and have loved them. I've gotten some noise at the end of their lives, so I'd get your alignment checked by a race shop or a BMW dealership to make sure you're not getting abnormal wear. Similar noise could be coming from the wheel bearings, as well.

HokieZHP
06-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for that info!

I'm going to see my mechanic in Durham who only works on BMW's and Porsches so he should be able to find out what's up with it. I'll be sure to ask about wheel bearings though. I'm also getting the tires balanced and aligned because it shakes at speed. Once that's all done I'll report back and see what needs to be done.

billschusteriv
06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Good info.

Looking forward to the results!

HokieZHP
06-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Alright so my suspicions were confirmed, the front tires are very cupped. After looking at the front tires more closely the alignment is off by a good amount and the tread wear is very uneven. There is no noise under acceleration but once the front end settles the noise is apparent and during braking it gets very loud! So I ordered up some new Continental DWS tires for the front. Since the rear tires are basically new, my mechanic was confident that we could save them with a new alignment before they also got cupped.

danewilson77
06-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the update. It will be tough to self correct the cupping.

GSEN820
06-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I had KDW's before on my car and these tires were very loud on the road. I had just gotten used to it until I drove a friends car. I noticed it wasnt as loud as mine. I switched to Hankook V12s. My car is quiet once again.

HokieZHP
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
True. Hopefully the rears aren't too bad. We'll see though. They are new so it'd be a waste to just throw them out.

danewilson77
06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
True. Hopefully the rears aren't too bad. We'll see though. They are new so it'd be a waste to just throw them out.

+1

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

zhpnsnv
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Be careful with that. DWS are all season tires and f1s are high perf summer tires. I would not be comfortable mixing brands much less compounds like that. It's good your grippier tires are in the rear, but if the temps drop that changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HokieZHP
06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
That's a good point. Didnt think of that. May be returning the dws's for a summer tire.

I tried to buy some dw's but they're out of stock everywhere! Maybe I'll get some supersports instead.

zhpnsnv
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
That's a good point. Didnt think of that. May be returning the dws's for a summer tire.

I tried to buy some dw's but they're out of stock everywhere! Maybe I'll get some supersports instead.

Welcome to my world. Supersports are a step up from the dw. And screw continental for not making them.

Try tirebuyer.com (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=SX71HVGMNEk&offerid=227517.11&subid=0&type=4) for the dw, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadowpuck
06-23-2011, 02:15 PM
also always good to hear of what sounds like a good shop/mechanic.

keep us updated on the results.

i had Goodyear F1-GS D3's that I still think were the best tires I've ever had. they were absolutely scary in the wet; as in, scary amounts of grip - almost wanted to force you to wonder if they could actually break loose. great tires.

HokieZHP
06-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I tried but they only ship to their designated dealers/installers. I have a local guy who does all of my tires and I couldn't get them delivered to my house...So I couldn't get them there. Earliest I found them in stock was 3 weeks.

Any other tires on par with the DW's?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Which tire company only allows tires to be shipped to designated dealers and installers?

EDIT: just checked and it's tirebuyer.com. That sucks.

I just looked at the list of dealers/installers and, while the prices are reasonable, I don't use those installers. So, I would be stuck using their installers.

Glad we have tirerack.com (http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-4193730-10650627) as an affiliate, too.

HokieZHP
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Not sure. Maybe I missed where the option was to ship it to yourself but I didn't see it.

HokieZHP
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Are there any other substitutes for the DW's that aren't as soft as pencil erasers? I'd like a wear rating of at least 300.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I am currently running Falken FK-452 tires. They are 300 rating. I'm quite happy with them. I'm very picky about the tires I put on my car (for what it's worth).

I got them at Amazon.com (because of the free shipping and because I couldn't find a cheaper price). Here are the rear tires ($192 each): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FV4X0S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004FV4X0S

And here are the front tires ($136 each): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RN4IQU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B002RN4IQU