PDA

View Full Version : Minor problems, possible dealer only fix

Tampa330i
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I have been looking into what normal functions for this car should be and I've found a couple things that may be corrected by a dealer, but I'm not 100% sure. The first is the alarm, specifically the lights on the car when it's armed. On every car I've ever had with a factory alarm, arming it flashes the lights and also may sound the horn. It does not do this on my 330i. When I press lock on the key, I hear the doors lock, and the interior lights shut off, but there's nothing going on with the exterior lights or horn. Same when I unlock it. One touch unlocks the driver door, 2 opens the other doors, but no lights on the outside. I found this thread on e46: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=807290 that says a dealer should be able to change this setting, can anyone confirm? By reflash, I assume they mean a software update or a return to factory default.

The second problem isn't really a problem but a setting with the door locks. Driving over 8mph locks all the doors. This is getting annoying, as I have to manually unlock the doors every time I get out of the car and need to open the back door. The owner's manual says this can be changed at a dealer. Does anyone know if they charge for something like this? Has anyone had to have this changed?

The last is the heater. I'm in FL, so heating isn't really a concern but for a month or 2 out of the year. I turned the heat on the other day to test it out, and it does work fine, but seconds after I turn it on the low coolant light comes on. If I turn the heater off, seconds later the low coolant light goes back off. The light remains on as long as the heat is on. From what I gather, it seems like when the fluid goes to the heater, it must drop just below the limit to set off the light, and when the heater goes off, the fluid returns.

Anything thoughts on these?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-05-2010, 11:36 PM
The second problem isn't really a problem but a setting with the door locks. Driving over 8mph locks all the doors. This is getting annoying, as I have to manually unlock the doors every time I get out of the car and need to open the back door. The owner's manual says this can be changed at a dealer. Does anyone know if they charge for something like this? Has anyone had to have this changed?

Anything thoughts on these?

I can answer this part of your question. This is part of the central locking system. The dealer can recode this for you. They will likely charge you an hour for this. Charging an hour sucks, though, since it doesn't take nearly that long to do.

Tampa330i
12-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I figured as much, nothing is free these days. Maybe I'll be able to combine this labor with ordering a new key and having it coded, I'm sure that doesn't take more than 5 minutes to do either. Thanks Marcus.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I figured as much, nothing is free these days. Maybe I'll be able to combine this labor with ordering a new key and having it coded, I'm sure that doesn't take more than 5 minutes to do either. Thanks Marcus.

You can also have a BMW indy shop do the coding, assuming they have the machine to do it. My buddy, Shane, has the machine that does this. I go to his shop when I need stuff done (DRL, central locks, etc.).

Tampa330i
12-06-2010, 12:01 AM
I'll make a few phone calls. We do have some German auto places around here, it'd be nice to save a penny if I can. It's funny they've made these things essentially impossible to change for the average owner. This kind of thing should be a courtesy service by the dealer for owning one of their $40,000+ cars, IMO. Perhaps they had to think up ways to get people back to the dealer since they built the cars so well.

danewilson77
12-06-2010, 04:00 AM
Takes about 5 minutes to correct both of your concerns above. I took mine to an indy with Carsoft and they did both, and disabled my DRL's for about $80.00.

Tampa330i
12-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Out of curiosity, why disable the DRLs?

danewilson77
12-06-2010, 05:31 AM
I disabled them, because my Angel eye's are my DRL's now....and I thought they looked like poopy have the A/E's and the DRL's...

With DRL's...

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Imola%20Bimmer/DSC03131sz1200-1.jpg

Without DRL's...

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Imola%20Bimmer/DSC03723sz1200.jpg

Tampa330i
12-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Are those angeleyes hard to wire? Is there any cutting or splicing involved or is everything plug and pray?

danewilson77
12-06-2010, 06:54 AM
One tap in point is in the DME....and they provide the wire tap.

Install guide is at the bottom. When it asks you for password...type in JSWCUSTOMER

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/3-Series-E46-%281999-2006%29-Lighting/c399_33_35/p8420/Weisslicht-LED-Angel-Eyes-for-BMW/product_info.html

Marcus-SanDiego
12-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I'll make a few phone calls. We do have some German auto places around here, it'd be nice to save a penny if I can. It's funny they've made these things essentially impossible to change for the average owner. This kind of thing should be a courtesy service by the dealer for owning one of their $40,000+ cars, IMO. Perhaps they had to think up ways to get people back to the dealer since they built the cars so well.

The good thing about the new cars -- such as my 335 -- is that I can do my own lock preferences. It's all available to the customer now; no need to take it to the dealer.

Kudos
12-06-2010, 07:20 AM
To answer your other question, about the heating system, when you turn on the heat coolant flows from your coolant system and essentially the volume increases and this decreases the available coolant in the reservoir which is where the coolant sensor level is. I would not worry about it as long and you don't run it extensively. I would only worry if you get the light if you get it while its off, then your are low for normal operating conditions. You could add some coolant just make sure to use the bmw coolant which is 1) expensive and 2) expensive. I would suggest to just make sure you have your heater on when you do a flush so that you get the maximum capacity and put in the right amount of fluid in the system.

Tampa330i
12-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Excellent, thanks for the responses guys. Anyone have any ideas on the alarm lights? Do all of your cars flash parking lights when you arm the alarm or is it normal for them not to light? I notice some side comments in the owner's manual about the alarm are all too vague, such as "You can have different acknowledgment signals set to confirm arming and disarming.<" and "You can have the tilt alarm sensor and the interior motion sensor permanently deactivated.<" Perhaps they should replace the < with a $ and mention this is needs to be changed at a dealer? Is it possible to tell if the second has been done without trying to set the alarm off via tilt or motion? The clown nose seems to be the indicator that shows if either the alarm itself is armed or the motion/tilt sensor is on - I can't determine this from the way it's worded. Either way, I don't think I've ever seen that thing light up whatsoever. I'll have to go double check this, but assuming it does not come on ever, does that mean the alarm isn't arming and the car is just locking - or - is it possible this clown nose has a bulb and it's just burnt out? I see a light flashing in the car when I hit lock, but it's only the one on the radio.

Tampa330i
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I can confirm that the clown nose does not light up on any actions at all.

kayger12
12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd like to know this as well. The clown nose never lit up in my 325. In my ZHP it starts blinking about 1 minute after I lock the doors....

Tampa330i
12-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Anyone have any ideas on the specific inner workings of the alarm system?

Tampa330i
12-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Found a listing of all the possible settings for everything the car 'remembers', such as how the lock system can be customized or even things like turning off/on the auto up/down on window switches. There's a lot of different settings in here.

http://www.ge39.com/files/BMW_MemoryOptions.pdf

zhp43867
12-23-2010, 05:21 AM
I have been looking into what normal functions for this car should be and I've found a couple things that may be corrected by a dealer, but I'm not 100% sure. The first is the alarm, specifically the lights on the car when it's armed. On every car I've ever had with a factory alarm, arming it flashes the lights and also may sound the horn. It does not do this on my 330i. When I press lock on the key, I hear the doors lock, and the interior lights shut off, but there's nothing going on with the exterior lights or horn. Same when I unlock it. One touch unlocks the driver door, 2 opens the other doors, but no lights on the outside.

I can confirm that the clown nose does not light up on any actions at all.

You can get the dealer to turn on the flashing lights and beep when you lock the doors, but it sounds like you don't have the factory alarm. The alarm is identifiable by a couple things, first the clown nose blinking when doors are locked, second the beep when doors are locked, and 3rd the flash of lights when doors are locked. See a pattern?

If you have the car coded to flash the lights and make noise, I think you'll just be creating the illusion of having the alarm even though you don't.

Tampa330i
12-23-2010, 12:42 PM
It would appear I do not have the alarm. Not sure why anyone would not get this option... Isn't it only like a few hundred more to add it?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-23-2010, 12:49 PM
It's not an option at the factory. Instead, it's a dealer add on. Some owners get it installed, some don't. The previous owner of my car did not have it installed. I got it installed shortly after I took possession.

I get alarms installed on my cars, for what it's worth. Peace of mind.

Tampa330i
12-24-2010, 12:38 AM
I know, right. Seems kind of odd they'de order a $4000 option, but not bother with a few hundred for an alarm. Adding it will require some kind of ecu reconfiguration, correct?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I know, right. Seems kind of odd they'de order a $4000 option, but not bother with a few hundred for an alarm. Adding it will require some kind of ecu reconfiguration, correct?

Yes. The dealer, or indy shop, will have to code the vehicle for the new alarm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/IMG_7234.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/IMG_7231.jpg