PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vanos?

Cadeez
06-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I think my Vanos is going bad, or is bad, or something... What are some tell tale signs? For a while now when I turn off my car it makes a weird clunking sound as it shuts down, kinda shakes the car a bit, and just sounds bad. Recently at startup (every once in a while but becoming more common) it's been making a very similar sound but it's prolonged, it's a significant rattle/clanking sound coming from the Vanos area. Lasts maybe 5-6 seconds, so it's definitely noticeable. If I blip the throttle it goes away, but then returns when it returns to idle. Sitting in the car you can actually feel the car shake and shutter when it's happening. It's really odd, and I don't like it. But it only does it once in a while, and other than that the car feels like it runs perfectly. No noticeable power loss, no rough driving, seriously weird.

It happened yesterday so I quickly ran and popped the hood to see if I could see anything that looked out of place, but I was too late. I did however put an ear up to the Vanos area and heard a 'click....click....click' about every couple seconds. Any input here would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

Oh and no I have not done the Vanos rattle kit nor have I replaced the Vanos seals with the Beisan kit.

danewilson77
06-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Overall loss of torque and power, particularly in the lower RPM range, < 3k. Bogging then surging at 3k RPM. Uneven power distribution and RPM transition. Engine hesitations in the lower RPM range, < 3k. Louder idle and intermittent idle RPM hiccups. Difficult takeoffs. Loss of power and bogging when AC on. Increased fuel consumption. Vanos fault codes.
Double vanos cars with the M52TU engine (98/99-00) experience cold weather cold start idle jolts and possible stall.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

Oli77
06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Given the size of the Vanos, do you think that, if they are bad or going bad in Cadeez's car, it would shake the car?

You can hear Vanos rattle (I have read) but can you feel it inside the car, shaking the car?

danewilson77
06-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Given the size of the Vanos, do you think that, if they are bad or going bad in Cadeez's car, it would shake the car?

You can hear Vanos rattle (I have read) but can you feel it inside the car, shaking the car?

No

Oli77
06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I didn't think so either.

Cadeez
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Hmm, well then what the heck is it?!?! Dang, thought I had it nailed down until Dane steps in with his omniscient-ness! Dammit Dane! :crying

Any other ideas? It's not like the car is shaking violently, but it's defintiely shaking a bit and making very mechanical sounds that can't be good. I would capture it on video but I'm not sure my BB shoots very good sound quality vids.

Hornung418
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
If your car is shaking at Idle...chances are you will need new Engine or Transmission Mounts. So I suggest getting a flashlight and looking down towards the Dipstick Tube with your Intake Box removed and check to see you you have fluid leaking from the mount. If so, you should do some research and see what kind of replacements that match your driving style. The only other thing I can think of is the Lightened Flywheel Rattle that is audible when the car is turned off with the Gear Selector in Neutral. Other than that...if you haven't already bought the Beisan Systems VANOS Seal and Rattle Repair Kit...I highly advise to repair it with your next Valve Cover Gasket change. Or if the VCG is still fresh, you can reuse it. Best of luck with the problem.