PDA

View Full Version : Clutch gurus invited!!

ZHP-FTW
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey guys, So I am wondering if it is possible to permanently burn/ruin your clutch?
I have abused it a few time starting off some very steep hills here in Seattle, and got that nasty smell. But today I was in an open parking lot and wanted to practice some launching.
I turned DSC off, revved up to about 3k rpms and dumped the clutch more or less. All I got was a bad smell and no discernable launch. I mean my car moved forward like I was getting on it, but not a real lunging/launch forward. Do you guys think my clutch has been burnt too many times for me to launch it? Is there any way to rough it up if it's glazed? FYI, it's a UUC aftermarket organic clutch with about 30k miles on it.

Thanks for the info.

billschusteriv
06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I had over 100k on a stock e30 clutch and it ended up wearing to the point where it wouldn't move from a light the first time I came up off of the clutch. I got the smell and some smoke.

Did you see any smoke? How does the clutch behave under normal stop and go driving conditions? How is the fluid level in your transmission? When did you change/bleed the clutch fluid last?

IIRC, BMW makes a go/no-go tool for measuring clutch wear that you might be able to use to check your wear.

Anyone else have experience with aftermarket clutchs?

ZHP-FTW
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I had over 100k on a stock e30 clutch and it ended up wearing to the point where it wouldn't move from a light the first time I came up off of the clutch. I got the smell and some smoke.

Did you see any smoke? How does the clutch behave under normal stop and go driving conditions? How is the fluid level in your transmission? When did you change/bleed the clutch fluid last?

IIRC, BMW makes a go/no-go tool for measuring clutch wear that you might be able to use to check your wear.

Anyone else have experience with aftermarket clutchs?

No, did not see any smoke, just a little burnt smell when it has happened. Car drives fine under normal driving, a little touchy on the start, but that's most likely my 12lb flywheel. All clutch/tranny fluids were changed out when I replaced the clutch about 30k miles ago. I'm not worried about the clutch being worn out, so much as it be glazed over from the 8 or so times I can remember slipping it to the point it gets that burnt smell.

Len013091
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
You've likely done damage to the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces from getting them that hot. Depending on how hot it gets, you can also weaken the PP springs, but only in extreme cases. Do you still have the clutch delay valve? As a side note, I've towed a 9,000lb dodge truck with an e30, stock clutch with over 100k miles... e30 ftw.

spencers
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
You're just prematurely wearing it out.

ZHP-FTW
06-28-2011, 06:45 AM
You've likely done damage to the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces from getting them that hot. Depending on how hot it gets, you can also weaken the PP springs, but only in extreme cases. Do you still have the clutch delay valve? As a side note, I've towed a 9,000lb dodge truck with an e30, stock clutch with over 100k miles... e30 ftw.

Really, you think a couple of 2-3 second clutch slips will damage the PP and flywheel that bad? CDV has been gone for quite some time now. I'm thinking I need to drive it around normally for a bit with no slipping and see if I can get the glazed surface to wear off and back to normal.

Johal E32
06-28-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't know much about clutches except for as long as you can drive a stick correctly the clutch will last a LONG time!

My E39 had it's clutch done at 75k miles

My Zhp now has 115k miles and on it's original clutch. I never ride the clutch, sometimes rev-match, I don't dump the clutch over 1k rpms. I DO drive spiritedly every now and again!

Good luck man!!

Len013091
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
If it's slipping when you got to launch at 3k, then I'd say it's been damaged in some way. Also, there's been more than a few people who've had issues with their UUC flywheel and clutch combos.