PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil????

DirtyPillows
06-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I got home last night and when I turned my car off I got the yellow oil light. Drove it today no light. Its only been 3000 miles since my last oil change. What can cause oil burning in our cars?

Im worried mainly because im heading done to Williamsburg VA to go to busch gardens tomorrow and its going to be a 5 hr drive for me. I dont want to risk in middle of 95 or something stuck cause of lack of oil. I have no oil leaking i.e. no oil stains on ground. So i have to believe its burning somehow. But like i said before i drove it today and no warning light. BTW what size is the copper washer that i need to change when i do the oil change???

kayger12
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Check the waffle area on the side of your block and the heat shield on the passenger side of the motor.

Typically a leaking vcg or oil filter housing gasket.

The leaks will rarely make it all the way to the ground. You might see some on your splash shield though if you drop it and take a look.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

DirtyPillows
06-28-2011, 07:41 AM
K i will look.

DirtyPillows
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I look in those area's and did not notice anything weird other than the oil filter being little greasy. Another weird thing that I just notice I pulled the dip stick and it read half full I don't know when exactly the oil warning light is suppose to go but I still think for only 3000 miles that may be too much lost I dnt kn. Thoughts?

DirtyPillows
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Excuse me it is right in the middle of the dipstick. I do not know if it means that it is halfway full

danewilson77
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Middle of the square block is sat. El perfecto!

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/oil.jpg

The owner's manual tells you exactly how to interpret the markings on the dipstick. Download the PDF here if your car didn't come with a manual.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals

Len013091
06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
My car uses, not leaks, a quart every 1500 miles, mainly due to how I drive. I'm not too concerned with it, and half of it is probably because the way the CCV system is set up on these cars. Just keep the level around the middle of the stick and you'll be fine.

romanred62
06-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I have the exact same problem. It's my oil filter housing gasket. I need to find some time to replace it.

kayger12
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I have the exact same problem. It's my oil filter housing gasket. I need to find some time to replace it.

Yep. With my 325 I thought the car was just using oil. Never, ever had a drop on the floor in the garage.

Then I read a thread about leaking OFH gaskets, checked mine, and Knights of Columbus- found oil all over the block.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.