PDA

View Full Version : Lights on the left side are intermittent

HokieZHP
06-28-2011, 07:19 AM
So I posted a few days ago about my left Xenon going out. But then it came back on...then off again then back on. Now it works but then other times doesn't come on. I'll restart my car and then it will work again. I thought my bulb was dying but now the little car indicator on the dash says my left rear ligh is out. However, it doesn't seem to be. I was wondering if this was a fuse problem and not a bad headlight/tailight?

What do you guys think?

drfreeman
06-29-2011, 09:18 PM
So I posted a few days ago about my left Xenon going out. But then it came back on...then off again then back on. Now it works but then other times doesn't come on. I'll restart my car and then it will work again. I thought my bulb was dying but now the little car indicator on the dash says my left rear ligh is out. However, it doesn't seem to be. I was wondering if this was a fuse problem and not a bad headlight/tailight?

What do you guys think?

Try to switch the HID bulb first to see if that is the bulb problem. If not the bulb problem, that should be you xenon ignitor is gone. Get one from ebay for about 50 bucks. It will solve your intemittent Xenon light problem. Regarding the faulty tail light, you need to reinforce the ground wire in the tail light panel. That wire is too thin and it will burn out easy. So go to buy a wire and re-wire the ground to the light panel with a wire clip.

danewilson77
06-30-2011, 03:08 AM
Good lookin out Doctor.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

HokieZHP
06-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Try to switch the HID bulb first to see if that is the bulb problem. If not the bulb problem, that should be you xenon ignitor is gone. Get one from ebay for about 50 bucks. It will solve your intemittent Xenon light problem. Regarding the faulty tail light, you need to reinforce the ground wire in the tail light panel. That wire is too thin and it will burn out easy. So go to buy a wire and re-wire the ground to the light panel with a wire clip.

Spot on! This is exactly what I was told yesterday by my mechanic as well. I've already fixed the taillight. Now just need to fix the igniter.

Thanks

spencers
06-30-2011, 06:58 AM
So, the ground issue was fixed, yet the xenon lamp is still acting up??

HokieZHP
06-30-2011, 07:07 AM
So, the ground issue was fixed, yet the xenon lamp is still acting up??

Well so far it hasn't but I didn't assume that fixing the ground wire to the taillight would fix the xenon as well. I thought it was a bad igniter. I'll look into it though. Would anything else cause the xenon to not always turn on?

spencers
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Well so far it hasn't but I didn't assume that fixing the ground wire to the taillight would fix the xenon as well. I thought it was a bad igniter. I'll look into it though. Would anything else cause the xenon to not always turn on?
The ballast could be culprit as well.

The tail lamp grounding fix should solve the xenon issue, at least from what I've read in the past. Odd, huh?

HokieZHP
07-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Little update. The left side xenon still only turns on sometimes. It takes me 2-4 times of turning the lights on and off to get it to turn on. I think it might be the igniter. Any other thoughts?

spencers
07-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Did you swap the ballasts to see if it follows? You could even swap the igniters to see if the problem follows.

HokieZHP
07-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Haven't done the ballast yet. I'm guessing the igniters are cheaper so I might go ahead and replace that and see if it fixes the issue. Is it easiest to get one at the dealer or is there a cheap oem one online besides eBay? I looked around a little but had no luck.

HokieZHP
10-17-2011, 05:32 PM
So decided to do a little update since I'm getting irritated. The left-side headlight takes forever to turn on if they haven't been used in a day or so. If I use them consistently then they come on pretty easily. I'm pretty positive it's the igniter. The left-side taillight is still working however I still have the "light-out" light on my dash. I'm thinking I'm just going to go ahead and replace the igniter. Any suggestion of where to get one? I saw eBay but not sure if I'm big on getting a used one.

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Ugh.....That's $$$. I think I got my last one from Tischer. It did not cure my problem. I would be willing to let you try my old one.....to aide in troubleshooting. It's a non-returneable item....