PDA

View Full Version : The ZKW Burnt Bowls Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Len013091
06-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Figured since the majority of ZHPs shipped with the plastic bowl Xenons, we'd eventually need this thread. The idea is that we can list our solutions to the problem, as well as info about the burnt bowls (symptoms, etc). I plan to add pictures and more info as it's acquired.

Personally, I went with the Lightwerkz FX-R retrofit due to time constraints, otherwise I would have done the retrofit myself. The parts are $135 from their website, and to have them do the conversion is $500 for parts, labor, and return shipping. The turn around took about 5 days (happened over a weekend), and the results were impressive. i had gotten used to the weak output of my 6 year old ZKWs and was absolutely blown away by the FX-Rs. There is just no comparison. My only complaint is the shape of the cutoff isn't like the stock European specification. Its closer to a JDM type cutoff. (More vertical, Pictures to come).

That said, I'd like to see what others have done to remedy the burnt bowl issue. Post Away

Mtnman
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Hate to throw a late wrench in this, but Dane, and OP#2, i think the op's thread, along with its title, will be a good thread to have. Its different front the OP#1 thread, as he is asking for everyones solutions, not just the FX-r solution (and i did something else, and could provide info). BTW, i think it will be a heavily searched topic on the net and drive people here. Just my 2 cents. you may delete this after reading.
D

danewilson77
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah....no worries. We have one regarding solutions as well....I know it.

danewilson77
06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Did not find a "Solution" thread.

Hornung418
06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Nah, leave it in here. I actually just wanted this to be a solution to the ZKWs and upgrade from Halogens.

Len, I'm in for pics of before and after.

Len013091
06-28-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure if I have any befores, but I'll definitely throw up the afters once I get my camera from home.

billschusteriv
06-29-2011, 06:10 AM
In for inches of bowl.

Oh... and no Xenons here. I've got unburnt OE (ZKW) Halogens that work well - other than life expectancy.

Mtnman
06-29-2011, 06:44 AM
I had this problem when i bought my car. Searched around and could not find a suitable solution at that time. (2 years ago). I decided to go from bixenons to Depo replacement Xenons. Ive had the depos installed for 2 years. They are a sufficient replacement.
Good:
1. I can see! light output is acceptable
2. Came with Angel eyes, which i was going to do anyway.
3. They were only $300 or so for the PAIR with bulbs.
4. Install was easy, and no need for error canceling ballasts, or anything else as the car already knows it has xenons.

BAD

1. You lose the ability to have high beams. The car, being wired for bi-xenons, wants to use the xenon bulb as its high beam and low beam, and uses the halogen bulbs (inside bulbs) as flash to pass only. If i push the stalk forward now, nothing happens. If I pull the stalk to me, the halogens still light up, which is what i do if i need high beams. Now, a few of our subscribers here have figured out programming. I know for sure that Tampa330 has figured this out and can reprogram the car to use the halogens for high beams when the stalk goes forward, but I have not met up with him to do it to my car.

2. Quality control. I had to replace my lenses already, as one of them began spiderwebbing within 3 months of being installed. I lived with it for 2 years, but just put new lenses on there. They look great again. Add +$80 to price above for this replacement.

3. Autoleveling no longer enabled. I don't think auto level works with the new lights. Cant be sure, but I don't think it does. Needs more research on my end for definitive answer.

I think that is about it for my summary of using depos as replacement for the Burnt Bowls of the ZKW's. I sold my ZKW's for $150 or so to someone on E46fan. If the FXR retrofit would have been available to me, i most likely would have gone that route, but all in all, this solution is acceptable and i do not regret the decision. Hope this helps someone. And for those that worry about cutoff's and light output, here is a pic of my 6000k depos. I think the cutoff is sufficient.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/booneflyfisher/2011-07-06_22-20-40_47.jpg

spencers
06-29-2011, 08:23 AM
1. You lose the ability to have high beams. The car, being wired for bi-xenons, wants to use the xenon bulb as its high beam and low beam, and uses the halogen bulbs (inside bulbs) as flash to pass only. If i push the stalk forward now, nothing happens. If I pull the stalk to me, the halogens still light up, which is what i do if i need high beams. Now, a few of our subscribers here have figured out programming. I know for sure that Tampa330 has figured this out and can reprogram the car to use the halogens for high beams when the stalk goes forward, but I have not met up with him to do it to my car.
3. Autoleveling no longer enabled. I don't think auto level works with the new lights. Cant be sure, but I don't think it does. Needs more research on my end for definitive answer.
Yeah, getting someone to program your car will solve issue #1.
There are no leveling motors in your depos, so you'll never have that feature.

Mtnman
06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
There are no leveling motors in your depos, so you'll never have that feature.

Yup, thats what I thought, but I didnt want to make a definitive statement without checking my facts again..

az3579
06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Just out of curiousity, would FX-35 projector swaps allow for auto-levelling?

Len013091
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, the leveler actually attaches to the entire (high and low bean) assembly at the bottom. The projectors still mount to this piece, so the leveling still works.

az3579
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes, the leveler actually attaches to the entire (high and low bean) assembly at the bottom. The projectors still mount to this piece, so the leveling still works.

Sweet! Thanks.

GreenFrog
07-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Can we get pics of your lightwerkz results?

Also, do you know what the difference is between the Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits they offer?

cakM3
07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I'd like to see the FX-35 and FX-R outputs and see what the difference is. I have FX-R projectors right now but if the FX-35's are better then perhaps I might wait and get them before doing my projector swap...

Bishop
07-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I would also like to see some before-and-afters for Lightwerkz ZHP jobs.

I've got some pretty bad ZKW bowl burn and I'm wondering what Lightwerkz can do to keep it looking stock (except for the dark roads part). I'm on the fence about angel eyes.

Rovert
07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Guess what I found.... :pimp And it's fully OEM!

http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=845704

danewilson77
07-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Wut? An e90 retrofit?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Rovert
07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
YUP :cheers

Hornung418
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Someone here did that exact same retrofit. It's in his 'Build Thread.'

edlvrt
07-30-2011, 06:11 PM

I'll probably go this route soon. If anyone has a source for the E90 projectors or just the reflectors, please let us know.

Johal E32
08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I'll probably go this route soon. If anyone has a source for the E90 projectors or just the reflectors, please let us know.

yep, my lights are nowhere near as bright as my E39 xenons were....

cakM3
08-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Here is what my burned out ZKW projector bowl looked like when I pulled it out...:rofl

There's even a crack just above my finger but you can't see it because of how burned out the projector is:facepalm
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/BurnedZKWBowl.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/BurnedZKWBowl02.jpg

Ended up replacing these awesome projector bowls with the OEM M3 bi-xenon projector bowls. I transferred the ZKW lens and this is the light output on the passenger's side.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ImprovedLight-Right.jpg

Amazing that someone designed plastic projector bowls thinking this would work great...:confused Now I'm going to have to get another set to rebuild my driver's side...

danewilson77
08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Where did you get bowls and how much? We have been asking about bowl replacement and up until now the answer has been "no".

Thanks for the info Charlie.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
08-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Where did you get bowls and how much? We have been asking about bowl replacement and up until now the answer has been "no".

Thanks for the info Charlie.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Dane,

I purchased my M3 bi-xenon headlight assembly from eBay. Price iirc was $350 for passengers side only. The only issue I have at present is getting the bi-xenon shutters to work. The M3 shutters use 3 wires whereas the ZKW shutters use 2. So I got some researching to do. At least I have lows...can always get my car programmed to use the inner highs...

Dane, I have some pics of the install and will share what I have done in another post. Took the ZHP out for an evening drive and the light output was great :thumbsup

Just wish I got the shutter to work though...

danewilson77
08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Charlie. Good lookin out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
08-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Dane,

Drove into work very early this morning. I can say that the light output was excellent. The only concern I have is that I might lose the bi-xenon capability. If that happens then for the money it's still a good conversion. All I would have to do is have my car reprogrammed so that whenever I move my stock over for high beams the inside halogen hi beams work. Still, better than buying new ZKW headlight assemblies for over $1200...

danewilson77
08-30-2011, 05:18 AM
For $700 you have lights that work half way? If there's no way to fix the bixenon function....Mmm..not sure bro, though you're right....anything is better than Zkw.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
08-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Charlie, Did you originally have Bi-Xenon functionality? You should be able to splice the M3 Shutter Connectors onto the the 330i wires and add the extra needed wire and run it to the LCM. TerraPhantm is more educated on the matter. You should PM him on e46F.

cakM3
08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Charlie, Did you originally have Bi-Xenon functionality? You should be able to splice the M3 Shutter Connectors onto the the 330i wires and add the extra needed wire and run it to the LCM. TerraPhantm is more educated on the matter. You should PM him on e46F.

Yes, I had bi-xenon functionality before doing the OEM M3 projector retrofit. This is why I chose the M3 bi-xenon projectors so that I could retain this feature. I can say that the light output with the retrofitted projectors is like a night and day experience. I didn't fully realize just how bad my ZKW's had gotten...

The 330i wires plug right into the solenoid with exception of the 3rd wire (it's missing). All I need to do is wire up the 3rd wire but right now I don't know how to do this. I will have to do some further research on this to make it work but I know it can be done.

Thanks for suggesting that I PM TerraPhantm about this. I think this is a great suggestion :thumbsup

Hornung418
08-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Kid's a freakin wizard when it comes to this kind of thing LOL

cakM3
08-30-2011, 08:27 AM
For $700 you have lights that work half way? If there's no way to fix the bixenon function....Mmm..not sure bro, though you're right....anything is better than Zkw.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Dane,

I'm not saying that there's no way to fix the problem...I still have more research to do on this. I will have this figured out...besides it's electrical...just got to get the wiring diagram or indepth info on this to understand how the M3 shutters work.

For me the priority was to restore my lows since I realized my fogs were providing better lighting. Not a good thing. I still can't believe that someone designed headlights usung a plastic projector bowl...talking about a high failure rate...

cakM3
08-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Kid's a freakin wizard when it comes to this kind of thing LOL

Yeah, that's what I have heard. I'll be sending a PM to TerraPhantm after work today :biggrin

Thanks!

Hornung418
08-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Found what I think you're looking for.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22562951

cakM3
08-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Found what I think you're looking for.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22562951

That's awesome! I will go over this closely when I get home. If I get this to work I will be sure to detail every step so this will help others. Thanks again!

zj96sc
08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
You probably got AL assemblies from the M3. The reason it has 3 wires is because AL bi-xenon shutters use two solenoids to move the shutter; one start solenoid to move the shutter, and a 2nd lower draw solenoid to hold the shutter in the up (hi-beam) position. The ZKW projectors use a single solenoid to move and hold the shutter. There are controllers sold that allow you to convert your two wire input to the 3 wire output needed for the 3 wires (provided you swapped only the internals and not the whole housing):

http://www.wolstentech.com/bixenon/

I was the one that did the e90 bowl retrofit into my ZKW housings on this forum, following fgin's thread on e46f. It is not a 100% plug and play solution...involves a little bit of cutting and fitting, but all said and done it is about $30 per side to get pretty decent light output that will not suffer from burnt bowls again. The trickiest part is coming up with a way to retain the bulbs in the housings that you're happy with. E90 bowls take D1S bulbs (ignitor integral to bulb base), we take D2S (ignitor separate)...meaning the wire bulb retainer won't work the way it is. My retrofit is in my build thread with details of the bulb retainer I bent up:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3801-ATL-ZHP-A-TiAg-Owner-s-Chronicle

If I can answer any questions let me know. I spent a lot of time researching solutions and working on mine.

Rovert
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Compared to all other modifications FX-R, TFW, AL, E90 bowls. Did you find out of all methods, the E90 bowl was the least involved as far as retrofitting with at least the same light out as stock E46 ZKW?

zj96sc
08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Least involved? Probably not. I'd say AL retrofits are probably the least involved since I understand that to be 100% bolt in place (aside from bi-xenon shutter wiring). This retrofit is actually pretty involved (you will disassemble probably every last component of the headlights).

I picked it because it was very cheap ($70 for 2 e90 projectors) and produced a reliable permanent fix with OEM level light output.

I didn't want to do FX-R or TFX etc because I didn't feel like JBwelding headlights together.

danewilson77
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Dane,

I'm not saying that there's no way to fix the problem...I still have more research to do on this. I will have this figured out...besides it's electrical...just got to get the wiring diagram or indepth info on this to understand how the M3 shutters work.

For me the priority was to restore my lows since I realized my fogs were providing better lighting. Not a good thing. I still can't believe that someone designed headlights usung a plastic projector bowl...talking about a high failure rate...

Werd. I Gotcha brutha.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Rovert
08-30-2011, 10:47 AM
The AL bi-xenon shutter is just 3 wires vs 2 wires for ZKW, right?

cakM3
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
You probably got AL assemblies from the M3. The reason it has 3 wires is because AL bi-xenon shutters use two solenoids to move the shutter; one start solenoid to move the shutter, and a 2nd lower draw solenoid to hold the shutter in the up (hi-beam) position. The ZKW projectors use a single solenoid to move and hold the shutter. There are controllers sold that allow you to convert your two wire input to the 3 wire output needed for the 3 wires (provided you swapped only the internals and not the whole housing):

http://www.wolstentech.com/bixenon/

Looks like this might be the solution I am looking for. Yes, the M3 bi-xenon projectors I'm using are AL. When I get these I will install them and see if this does the trick. If so then I think I will have a good solution as well. :thumbsup

There is a slight modificaiton that needs to be done which includes cutting and drilling pilot holes in order to mount the AL projectors but in the end everything lined up perfectly and I don't have any alignment issues as shown in the picture of my previous post. :biggrin

Thanks for sharing your knowledge...very much appreciated :thumbsup

cakM3
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
The AL bi-xenon shutter is just 3 wires vs 2 wires for ZKW, right?

That is correct Trevor.

Rovert
08-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Well I can easily get AL assemblies at my friend's BMW wreck yard. How much should I offer him for the bowls?

zj96sc
08-30-2011, 12:29 PM
The bowls themselves won't fit into the ZKW housings. I don't remember the name of the part at the moment, but form what I understand you need the whole thing the projector low beam attaches to, plus the projector/bowl/lens assembly....its is also the piece holding the high beam reflector. Basically everything held in place by the adjustment screws.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong here.

cakM3
08-30-2011, 02:28 PM
The bowls themselves won't fit into the ZKW housings.

This is true. You will have to slightly modify your ZKW housings to make the AL Projectors fit.

I don't remember the name of the part at the moment, but form what I understand you need the whole thing the projector low beam attaches to, plus the projector/bowl/lens assembly....its is also the piece holding the high beam reflector. Basically everything held in place by the adjustment screws.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong here.

What I did was basically transfer the whole AL projector assembly over to the ZKW housing. The only part of the AL projector I did not use was the Bosh lens. I swapped lens and used the ZKW lens instead. The picture below shows the AL projector assembly with the installed ZKW lens. This was an easy swap because both the Bosh and ZKW lens are the same size.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALProjector.jpg

Another view of the AL projector assembly
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALProjector02.jpg

The mounting holes on the AL projector assembly did not line up with any of the mounting holes of the ZKW housing. This is where I had to take my time and align the AL projector on the ZKW housing and then mark the holes so I could drill pilot holes where the AL projector would mount. There was some slight cutting on where the original mounting points were as well so I could get the AL projector to mount flush. As you can see in the picture there is a red rubber spacer (transferred from the M3 housing). I used two to get the AL projector to mount perfectly.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALMount02.jpg

Sorry for the not-so-perfect iPhone pic here...
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALMount03.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALMount.jpg

This is the rear view of the "upgraded" ZKW headlight assembly.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALInstalled.jpg

When I work on my driver's side I will be taking more detailed pictures of every step as well as having someone come by (if they are available) to assist. I will have more time to detail every step with a helper.

Modified ZKW projector:
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALProjector3.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALProjector4.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ALProjector2.jpg

cakM3
09-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey everyone! It looks like I will be completing my OEM M3 bi-xenon retrofit over the weekend. It will be about a week after this when I will have everything organized to post a very detailed DIY with lots of pics...getting all jazzed thinking about this :thumbsup

danewilson77
09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
...getting all jazzed thinking about this :thumbsup

Me too.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
09-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Can't wait, Charlie!

Johnmadd
09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Good work. Maybe you could make some money doing this for other zkw owners.

az3579
09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Tonight, I went and took a pic of the light output from an E90. I wanted to see what I would get if I did the E90 project swap.
If/When I decide to do it, I will also be making a tutorial or some kind of writeup on it. I hear it's an easy swap.

Rovert
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Well make it soon! I need to find out what I need to buy for my retro. So far my friend says just get Bosch/AL projectors/bowls and pop my ZKW lens on. I thought the E90 version was going to be easier but it appears more involving than the AL version. My friend owns a BMW junkyard so i can get anything I want from him...I just have to make up my mind. haha.

danewilson77
09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Will there be inches of bowl. That's all I want to know?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2010-12-30_23-01-44_10.jpg

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2010-12-30_23-01-44_10.jpg

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Zactly KG!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Well make it soon! I need to find out what I need to buy for my retro. So far my friend says just get Bosch/AL projectors/bowls and pop my ZKW lens on. I thought the E90 version was going to be easier but it appears more involving than the AL version. My friend owns a BMW junkyard so i can get anything I want from him...I just have to make up my mind. haha.

I just got thrown a curveball.
I was looking on eBay (these don't come up for sale often) for E90 projectors and found one. Problem is, it isn't the ZKW that the other people who've done the swap have. It's Kendrion, and after a little research that's the same as Bosch/AL. That's an issue because I personally have no idea if this will work as opposed to the ZKWs which are guaranteed to work.

I have no idea if this one would work with what I have. Anyone know??

cakM3
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Good work. Maybe you could make some money doing this for other zkw owners.

I probably could but am much more satisfied sharing that knowledge and empowering others with that knowledge...:biggrin

cakM3
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM

This is the way I am going with my retrofit DIY. I will lay out everything including pics step by step if you plan to retrofit OEM M3 bi-xenon projector assemblies into the ZKW headlight assembly.

One thing to note is that there will be some cutting and drilling of the projector housing to mount the new projector on....not hard to do. The mounting holes from the old ZKW projector and new M3 projector are not the same which is why I posted some pictures earlier in this thread showing this. It's been a few weeks now with the passengers side being done and I have no problems...I do have to retrofit the bi-xenon solenoid controller circuits though and that will be done over the weekend...:biggrin. Stay tuned for results. I will post the full DIY in the DIY section for everyone :thumbsup

Looking forward to contributing something useful to everyone in the family...:biggrin

Rovert
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you thank you! Can you get any 325 or 330 sedan/coupe that has AL bi-xenons or is the M3 bi-xenon the only one that's confirmed to work ok?

Does anyone notice how poor light dispersion is with the bi-xenon on with stock ZKW? It is great for the low beams...but once that shutter flips...you wonder where the extra light is. It feels more flood than it is lazering down the highway into the distance.

cakM3
09-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Thank you thank you! Can you get any 325 or 330 sedan/coupe that has AL bi-xenons or is the M3 bi-xenon the only one that's confirmed to work ok?

No problem :thumbup

As for your question I'd guess that as long as it's bi-xenon and you can get them mounted on your housing assembly then it's good. What you have to look at is the wiring to the shutters. In my case, using the OEM M3 bi-xenon assembly, the wiring to the shutter solenoid is 3-wire instead of the ZKW's 2-wire. As a result, I have to incorporate another circuit which converts the 2-wire into the 3-wire that the M3 solenoid requires. I had to do more research to find this, which is why I want to do a good detailed DIY after I have BP come up here to give a hand, then I can pass this along to the community.

I have not really seen any "complete" one-stop shop DIY that fully explains how to do this type of conversion. Yes, the information is out there if you do a lot of searching....I mean a lot...

Does anyone notice how poor light dispersion is with the bi-xenon on with stock ZKW? It is great for the low beams...but once that shutter flips...you wonder where the extra light is. It feels more flood than it is lazering down the highway into the distance.

I liked the stock ZKW lighting but both of my ZKW headlights have burned out projector bowls and I didn't realize just how bad until I retrofitted the passenger's side a few weeks ago. Now I realize that my driver's side is burned out as well but not as bad as the passenger's side was. I will be taking pics of both ZKW projector bowls to put in my DIY as well so everyone can see just how bad they got after 8 years of usage.:rofl

With the M3 projector bowl assembly installed w/ ZKW lens, the light output is excellent. :thumbsup

jayjay_dee
09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
subscribed...

cakM3
09-17-2011, 05:12 PM
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE !!!!!

Okay, I decided to work out some kinks this evening regarding my M3 shutter solenoid so I took out my passenger's side headlight and inserted the solenoid controller circuit I purchased from WolstenTech.

The solenoid controller circuit with pigtail harness cost me a whopping $23.90 and I got the directions on how to connect it at their website. This is what the circuit looks like (bottom left):
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/IMG_1957.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/SolenoidControllerConnected.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/SolenoidConnectorMount02.jpg

Light output from the garage...will get better pics after the driver's side is retrofitted...

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/HighBeams.jpg

Notice the left side seems to have a lower output compared to the right side.

Driver's side - light output seems more yellowish and the top part of the projector appears to have the top 1/3rd "washed out" possibly from the projector bowl being burned out...
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/DriversProjector.jpg

Passenger's side - more uniform light output
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/PassengersProjector.jpg

more to follow everyone...stay tuned :biggrin

I will be posting in the DIY section when I compile everything!

danewilson77
09-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Well done. Awaiting part list, websites, and DIY.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
09-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Dane,

Stay tuned to further updates for the "family" :thumbsup

Hornung418
09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Can't wait for this, C. Great detective work and extra points for crisp execution :thumbsup

cakM3
09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Can't wait for this, C. Great detective work and extra points for crisp execution :thumbsup

Thanks! I'm looking forward to posting my DIY to help out the family :thumbsup

cakM3
09-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Okay everyone!

I just completed retrofitting both my ZKW headlight assemblies with the OEM M3 projector assemblies along with the required solenoid controller circuits and am pleased to say that everything works!

I have full bi-xenon functionality as well as other "goodies" BP was kind enough to add to my ZHP making it much more desirable to drive :biggrin

Here a few pics of the "used up" ZKW projector assemblies
http://tapatalk.com/mu/6c22bc5a-1d79-f865.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/6c22bc5a-1d94-3bde.jpg

Stay tuned for the DIY to be posted in the DIY section :thumbsup

Rovert
09-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I think you burned your eggs Charlie. Those are a no go for breaky this morning!

cakM3
09-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I think you burned your eggs Charlie. Those are a no go for breaky this morning!

Yeah, those projector bowls didn't look too good...

Just took another look at your comment Rovert....I get it....started to laugh this evening....looks like a pair of burned eggs...:biggrin

cakM3
09-18-2011, 05:06 PM
A quick update....

Took a drive this evening with my newly retrofitted M3 projectors and this is the result:

Low beams
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/photo-14.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/photo2-3.jpg

High beams
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/photo1-1.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/photo3-3.jpg

I still have to properly aim my projectors but overall compared to what I had to put up with, I'm very happy with the outcome :thumbsup

nike001
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
um.. you guys do know that e46 m3 headlights bolt right in right?

Terra and I did this a few months ago. We tore my lights apart though to modify the m3 cutoff shield & swap the ZKW/AL lenses.

You need the part on this part: #10
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/l/e/307.png

Lenses & Bezels swap right in.
Ya'll are doin way too much work

danewilson77
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Now we do...thanks to Charlie.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nike001
09-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Now we do...thanks to Charlie.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I'm talking about the whole assembly here boss

danewilson77
09-20-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm talking about the whole assembly here boss

I hear ya. That won't cost < $200 though, right.

What's the price of your swap?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Dane,

I found each OEM M3 projector assembly on ebay for $50 shipped and the solenoid controller circuit was under $30 shipped so the whole thing cost me under $200 and I did the retrofit. I had spare M3 Xenon shrouds laying around, and you need them with the M3 projector assembly.

@ Nike001: Not that I'm sending a dig on you, but when I was doing my research to do the ZKW projector retrofit I did not come across any thread showing (in detail) exactly how to do the retrofit. Yes, I did see several threads saying that ppl did the ZKW (or BiXenon) retrofit but there was no well organized and documented DIY like you would see at BimmerDIY :http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e46

So I wanted to get one out where anyone else with similar problems could follow and accomplish. Since I mounted the OEM M3 projector on ZKW baseplate the projector mounts do not line up with the screw holes on the ZKW baseplate so some modification/dremmeling/drilling is required but it is not hard to do.

You stated in your post "You need the part on this part: #10." That's nice but exactly how do you change this part out? For the inexperienced who only desires to save some money (since the ZKW headlight assembly costs @ $1200 ea) they wouldn't know where to start. The diagram is nice but having a procedure with pictures is much more helpful imo. I'm not trying to start any arguments and will not entertain them. Just saying my point since I am sharing my retrofit with the family...

There are many threads out there on M3Forum.net, Bimmerforums, and E46Fanatics as well as other websites but nothing all inclusive that will allow an inexperienced person to perform the retrofit with any level of confidence. I know because I was one of them...:rofl

I'm currently working on a procedure to outline everything I have done with links to other DIYs (headlight removal for example) to minimize the posting but DIYs that I used to accomplish my retrofit. Once I get all the pics that were taken (BP is working on them now), I will be able to place each pic to each step so others using my procedure will understand how to do each step.

I think this will be very helpful to anyone with ZKW headlights since BMW does not seem to think this is a problem...:facepalm I took both burned out projector bowls to show my service manager the problem with my headlights and the response I got was that they were not aware that this was a problem....

Anyway not meaning to rant here but this is something that is very important to me - driving safety, and if I can contribute to the community with a procedure that will help others to do their retrofit then I am very happy to contribute. Of course I want to state that everyone is more than welcome to either add/or modify what I put out with the intent to make this procedure the best it can be since I'm posting it here on ZHPMafia.

All I ask from everyone is to allow me some time to get this DIY out. This week I am on travel to Washington DC on business so I will be delayed (good for BP so he can get all the pics squared away :biggrin) but I will get back once I return from my trip back home. I posted earlier that I had urgent family business and some of you know what I am currently going through so I figure it will be about two weeks before I'm back and going.

If any of you have questions concerning the retrofit you are more than welcome to PM me and I will get right back to you. Am I correct Channing :biggrin ?

Again, my apologies to the family for such a long response...as I said earlier I sincerely hope I did not offend you Nike001, this is not my intent.

nike001
09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
No offense taken. The #10 in the diagram is just a screw or two IIRC. Its right below the headlight assembly.. and that part is what the lower part of the headlight screws into.

I took the route of getting complete m3 lights because I didn't want to dremel or anything. The way I see it is, my way is a little more expensive..but it involves almost no labor. >>ZKW headlights out>>ZKW holster out>>AL holster in>>AL housings W/ sedan bezel's & headlight lens in.

I'm not entirely sure how much everything cost me.. I think it was around 250-275. Plus I got ballasts, extra low beam xenons, pre-facelift coupe headlight lenses & black bezels that can all be turned around.

I think it just matters where & how you get your headlights/projectors and how much.

cakM3
09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
The frustrating part for me was finding so many useless threads from people who did the retrofit but didn't explain how they did it. This is why I waited to do my driver's side so that BP could stop by to see for himself how I did my retrofit. I suppose your way would be easiest but more $$ for sure. The problem is having a proven procedure laid out by forum members, all contributing for the good of the community. This is my intent. There are some who have PM'd me already on this and I have answered them.

My goal is to put something out that isn't way too difficult to do and at the same time instill some confidence in people who are a little apprehensive about tackling a project like this.

It took me over a year to get enough courage to go ahead to do this type of retrofit. Since I had two bimmers, I felt safe enough to try this. To my amazement, what I did was not that hard to do, which is why I am working on a easy to follow procedure to retrofit OEM M3 projectors w/ ZKW lens.

I look forward to yours as well as everyone's feedback when I post my DIY. :thumbsup

imo, I think using OEM M3 projector assemblies w/ ZKW lens are the way to go with minimum modification to the ZKW housings. I'm sure the FX-Rs are better but they will require extensive modifications and right now I'm not too confident in doing this retrofit....yet.

danewilson77
09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Nike, I would additionally like to see your writeup on the ///M3 headlights retrofit, then we can make an informed decision with 2 options put there.

Thanks to both you guys.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
09-20-2011, 06:32 PM
thanks Mitsubishi for using plastic bowls...

and thank you BMW for recognizing a tail light wiring issue as a RECALL ($~100) but the famous ZKW's burned bowls isn't even a service bulletin and costs ($1k+) and is a safety concern.

I've been looking at my options for over a year now and have looked at every thread there is on the issue. :shift

cakM3
09-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Nike, I would additionally like to see your writeup on the ///M3 headlights retrofit, then we can make an informed decision with 2 options put there.

Thanks to both you guys.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

+1

Not everyone might want to go the route I went regarding retrofitting my burnt ZKW bowls but it cost me under $200 and was worth it in the end. I have ample lighting and am very happy with the results :thumbsup

I'd like to see how you went about doing your retrofit Nike...:biggrin

danewilson77
09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd like to see how you went about doing your retrofit Nike...:biggrin

+1

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nike001
09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry fellas, I didn't document my retrofit because it was pretty much straight forward.

IIRC, It was just taking the e46 m3 lights and: taking lenses off, bezels out.. sedan bezels in, sedan lenses on. Then taking #10 (as mentioned above in previous posts) off the car (its located directly below the lights..and they are what the lights attach to) and bolting #10 from the e46 m3 on there. Then put the headlights in.

Now, I COULD be wrong in this procedure because I took my headlights apart with Terra to install ZKW lenses and modify the cutoff shield.. So maybe (but I doubt) a few steps could have been lost in translation. I"ll think more about this and ask Terra next time I speak with him.

danewilson77
09-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry fellas, I didn't document my retrofit because it was pretty much straight forward.

IIRC, It was just taking the e46 m3 lights and: taking lenses off, bezels out.. sedan bezels in, sedan lenses on. Then taking #10 (as mentioned above in previous posts) off the car (its located directly below the lights..and they are what the lights attach to) and bolting #10 from the e46 m3 on there. Then put the headlights in.

Now, I COULD be wrong in this procedure because I took my headlights apart with Terra to install ZKW lenses and modify the cutoff shield.. So maybe (but I doubt) a few steps could have been lost in translation. I"ll think more about this and ask Terra next time I speak with him.

Thanks for any additional nike.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
09-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Ugh. I wish there was an easier way about all of this. I would eventually like to see comparisons to which route is most effective (shortest, easiest)

nike001
09-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Ugh. I wish there was an easier way about all of this. I would eventually like to see comparisons to which route is most effective (shortest, easiest)

Given you said shortest and easiest, I'd probably have to say mine. Although it could be a bit more expensive. Though you may be able to turn around some items to people with pre-facelift coupes (eg-bezels,lenses,old zkw ballasts)

CERF04ZHP
09-23-2011, 06:27 AM
If any of you have questions concerning the retrofit you are more than welcome to PM me and I will get right back to you. Am I correct Channing :biggrin ?

Best in the biz!

cakM3
09-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Just wanted to provide everyone with a status of the DIY I have been working on. I have submitted my DIY for review by a few folks so hopefully the DIY will be posted in the DIY section soon....:thumbsup

Yep! The driver's side projector bowl was just as bad as the passenger's side that I posted on this thread earlier. For less than $200 I got a permanent solution to this problem that works for me :biggrin !

az3579
09-28-2011, 07:34 AM
I just ordered my solenoid circuits last night, so I'm now ready to tackle this project next weekend and verify the DIY...

llll1l1ll
09-29-2011, 04:40 AM
I'm interested to see the turnout.

Nike, with the lenses and the bezels: is the bezel the plastic piece that goes overtop of the two headlamps? Or by bezel do you mean sort of a housing/bushing type thing? Or by lenses do you mean the plastic piece that goes overtop the two headlamps? Where is that Real OEM diagram?!

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 05:55 AM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=63_0550&hg=63&fg=05

cakM3
09-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Sent copies of my preliminary DIY this morning to a few members on this forum for comments and feedback prior to posting this in the DIY section :thumbsup

Hopefully, we will get this up soon to help other's with this issue...stay tuned!

az3579
09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Sent copies of my preliminary DIY this morning to a few members on this forum for comments and feedback prior to posting this in the DIY section :thumbsup

Hopefully, we will get this up soon to help other's with this issue...stay tuned!

I think we should wait until we do my retrofit next weekend to post the DIY. I want to follow the DIY as we're doing it to make sure it makes sense to your average Joe (or BP). :)

cakM3
09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Sounds good to me...then there will be two ZHPs that have gone through this DIY

iZHP
09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
subscribed.

cakM3
10-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Assuming BP gets his solenoid circuits in the mail today, we will be doing his retrofit using my DIY to validate it tomorrow. Once the procedure has been "red-lined" I will be working on posting the DIY in the DIY section. Just a heads up for everyone...:thumbsup

Going on 3 weeks now since the retrofit. Lighting has been great, no issues. Driving over the Newport Bridge is almost like 4-wheel off road driving. It's that rough and I haven't had any issues with my "retrofitted" headlight assemblies. Everything is rock solid and the best part is that I have reliable lighting again! I will be driving my ZHP to Washington DC over the weekend after retrofitting BP's headlights. Looking forward to the trip...:D

I feel that the procedure I used to retrofit my ZKW headlights are permanent and, most importantly, reliable. Okay, with that said, give me a week and I should have a complete DIY post up for everyone, thanks to everyone who have been patient :thumbsup

Rovert
10-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I was driving my dad's 540i last night and i so miss having lumens to the ground!!

az3579
10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Solenoids are in... we are goooood to goooooooo for tomorrow!

iZHP
10-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I was driving my dad's 540i last night and i so miss having lumens to the ground!!

:like

Rovert
10-07-2011, 10:10 PM
^ Haha...the ironic thing is that I changed my bulbs to Philips Ultinon 6K and gave my stock Philips 4300K bulbs to his car. Can't beat his halogen highbeams to our bi-xenon highs. Halogen reigns king for penetrating long distance when you punch the 540's throttle at 60mph and the speedo sweeps to 100mph in a few seconds...every passenger loves that feel of speed, at speed. :roundel

cakM3
10-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Today I helped BP retrofit Bosh projectors into his ZKW headlight assemblies using my DIY as reference.

Overall the DIY worked. Updates to my DIY need to be done however, but very minor. BP performed about 40% then I helped him with the rest since I was familiar with the process. The end result was excellent lighting using the Bosh projectors over the original ZKW projectors.

I will allow BP to post his experience with this DIY :thumbsup

az3579
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Instant. Daylight.

/thread

Sent from my Droid Charge.

cakM3
11-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Tonight I posted part of my ZKW repair/retrofit DIY in the DIY section. I should be complete within the next few days but wanted to give everyone a preliminary look at how I performed this retrofit on my ZHP. I had taken tons of pictures so people who are not too familiar with what is involved can now have a good idea if they can or cannot attempt this DIY without getting too far into it. I decided to take on this task with hopes that what I put out will help others. :thumbsup

iZHP
11-11-2011, 09:14 PM
:like

cakM3
11-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks 808 :)

Video is now added to my DIY showing the actual ZKW lens swap....:thumbsup

iZHP
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
ugh...these parts aren't showing up on ebay too often...

cakM3
11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
ugh...these parts aren't showing up on ebay too often...

goes in cycles....seems, when you aren't looking for them they are all over the place and when you get around to looking for them, they are very hard to find...

Just be patient and you will get a set :thumbsup

iZHP
11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
can you actually just swap the whole headlight assembly from an M3?

cakM3
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I think someone had done exactly that but I was unaware of this and only had one M3 headlight assembly to play with so I went a different route. You can try this and see if it will work, I think you can do it.

I'm assuming you are talking about the mounting plate that the projector assembly mounts to, right?

LivesNearCostco
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm trying a more roundabout tactic. I filed an online compliant with the NHTSA about the burnt bowls, and hope that if enough BMW owners file similar complaints, they will ask BMW NA how many cars are affected and what the fix is, and then BMW NA will issue a recall and fix the burnt bowls at their expense.

If I can't hold out that long, I'll try following this DIY.

cakM3
11-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately, I couldn't wait that long. My light output had degraded past 50% and my fogs were beginning to put out more light output than my ZKWs. Completely unsat situation if you ask me...

So I retrotitted my headlights. This is why I finally posted my DIY. Hopefully, how I outlined my guide will help others. I am in no way an expert which is why I placed a disclaimer at the beginning of my DIY, but I feel I found a workable solution that wouldn't break the bank.

Currently, BMW's solution is for you to buy brand new headlight assemblies for $1,200 a piece and then allow them to charge you their hourly rates to install them. No thanks!!!

Even after showing them my burned out projector bowls, the service manager quickly dismissed the problem stating that the previous owner had misplaced the D2S bulb which caused this problem then added they have never seen this problem.....imagine that! I'm curious if there are others who have had similar experiences from their dealership?

az3579
11-15-2011, 02:40 AM
goes in cycles....seems, when you aren't looking for them they are all over the place and when you get around to looking for them, they are very hard to find...

Just be patient and you will get a set :thumbsup

Story of my life. lol
I could have sworn E90 projectors would work too; they look the same as the M3 ones. That is what I was originally going to go with, but since we didn't use E90 projectors, I couldn't tell you if that would work. The E90 ones aren't really any easier to come by; if anything, harder. The light output on those is excellent as well.

cakM3
11-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Okay everyone! I completed Part 2 of my DIY and it is posted :thumbsup

Hope this will help others faced with what I was faced with :)

sna77
11-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Charlie, great work! I am no way that brave though. Does anyone know how much the TFX retrofit from Lightwerkz costs? I'd rather just pay them to do it right for me. :)

Plus, I have access to 3 sets of e46 2002-2005 sedan headlights:
- AL halogen
- AL bi-xenon
- ZKW bi-xenons that came in the 330 and are currently in the car.

Does anyone know if you need the original ZKWs or can the retrofit be done with another set of headlights?

nike001
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Charlie, great work! I am no way that brave though. Does anyone know how much the TFX retrofit from Lightwerkz costs? I'd rather just pay them to do it right for me. :)

- AL halogen
- AL bi-xenon

Does anyone know if you need the original ZKWs or can the retrofit be done with another set of headlights?

I forget, but when I asked him.. it was ~400-600

For the AL bi-xenon, are they a whole housing? Or just projectors

sna77
11-20-2011, 06:54 AM
The AL ones are complete headlight assemblies...

sna77
11-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Also, does anyone know what the back of their headlights look like? Do they utilize the existing mounting points for the ballasts etc, or am I zip-tieing things to the engine compartment which I haaaate

cakM3
11-20-2011, 07:11 AM

- AL halogen
- AL bi-xenon

Thanks Steve :)

I initially did the research from Lightwerkz and found this out:

"HID Projector Retrofit Conversions

HID Projector retrofitting requires you to provide a set of headlights for us to complete the final product. Pricing includes set of headlights to be converted, not including any additional product, shipping, or surcharge fees. All conversions come featured with a full craftsmanship and condensation warranty. Please read our Policy section for more details.

HID Projector retrofitting allows us to convert your current headlights with the best available technology. This highly specialized service we offer involves installing HID projectors into reflector-based headlights, or if the car already comes with projectors, we can replace them with ones of better quality and performance. This allows the customer to obtain the absolute best performance available on the market without any compromises. These conversions are hand built by our team on a per order basis so you can count on the attention to detail and high levels of quality.

Base labor costs on a single projector retrofit conversion range between $365-$960. Costs will vary depending on application type, sealant type, and parts used in the conversion. Please contact us directly for a quote on labor."

I know they do awesome work but that was just alittle more than I was willing to put towards these ZKWs. I found a solution that cost me less than $200 to do which is why I came out with this DIY. Believe me, I was intimidated to take on this project for fear of ruining these headlight assemblies and having to fork out $2,400 just to correct my very costly mistake. This is why I took my time to do the research and come up with my solution. Realizing that there was no all-encompassing retrofit DIY out there, I decided to post my solution. :thumbsup

If anything Steve, I'd swap put the ZKWs for the AL Bi-Xenons and call it a day. Lens swap from the ZKW headlights into the Al Headlights is possible but (assuming the lens holders are plastic), you have to be careful not to break any of the clips.

If you have any question on this let me know :thumbsup I'd gladly help :)

Steve... the AL headlight assemblies....if you mean complete assemblies as in they also have their own ballasts connected to the headlight assemblies (mounted underneath) then all you should have to do is plug them into the lighting harness of the car. Plug and Play.....it should work :thumbsup

sna77
11-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Steve... the AL headlight assemblies....if you mean complete assemblies as in they also have their own ballasts connected to the headlight assemblies (mounted underneath) then all you should have to do is plug them into the lighting harness of the car. Plug and Play.....it should work :thumbsup

Thanks Charlie for the insight. Sounds like AL headlights are the superior product to ZKW ones then? If money / time wasn't a factor at all, what would be the best, most reliable solution? Simply purchasing a new pair of AL headlights which I assume are just plug and play to drop them in?

danewilson77
11-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Steve... the AL headlight assemblies....if you mean complete assemblies as in they also have their own ballasts connected to the headlight assemblies (mounted underneath) then all you should have to do is plug them into the lighting harness of the car. Plug and Play.....it should work :thumbsup<br />
<br />
Thanks Charlie for the insight. Sounds like AL headlights are the superior product to ZKW ones then?

Yes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
11-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Steve,

I haven't gone this route but my guess is that if you were able to get a set of AL bi-xenon headlights for our sedans, they should just plug in and work. Since you have ZKW headlights, you can ( if you are brave enough :) ) swap out the AL lens for the ZKW lens :thumbsup

Then replace the headlight assemblies and still retain the ZKW clarity over the AL lens. A win in my book :thumbsup

sna77
11-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Got it... So ZKW lenses with AL projectors. ha! Charlie, this might be a winter time project. I drive the wife's X3 during the winter mostly anyhow--the bi-xenons on that thing are night and day better than the ZHPs

cakM3
11-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Steve,

They should fit. I swapped out the OEM M3 Bosh AL lens with my ZKW lens and they were a perfect fit. :thumbsup

I would be surprised to find out that the ZKWs on your car did not fit the AL projectors...:) To me, the way to go in your case is to swap out the AL lens with the ZKWs from your current headlights....FTW in my opinion :thumbsup

When you do this be sure to take pics of your burnt projector bowls so I can see just how bad yours are...:p You see how bad mine were - pics in my DIY :)

iZHP
12-04-2011, 01:57 PM
So my project today was to swap out my passengers side bowl with a new one I was lucky enough to come across. The light output now is amazing...Except the Drivers side (which used to be the "good" one) is now TERRIBLE! I'm still looking for one more bowl.....

Pics included:
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/8c95b479.jpg

Mine actually burned off the chrome finish and the bowls became CLEAR!! You can see my hand right through the reflector!
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/5ab4fc25.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/4d012ae6.jpg

The way the reflector should look NEW is chrome inside the bowl and the outside part of the reflector still has an orangey tint.

danewilson77
12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
You swapped out for new zkw bowl?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
yeah, it was the cheapest option for right now. And I always like to maintain stock as much as possible.

danewilson77
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
yeah, it was the cheapest option for right now. And I always like to maintain stock as much as possible.

Hehe....even if stock has design issues?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Sadly, yes. The original ZKW light is superb when fully functioning so swapping the bowls every couple years doesn't seem that big a deal for me....if I can find them that is.

edlvrt
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I just ordered a pair of E90 ZKW projectors and bowls. When they arrive, I'll do a write up, but from what I gather, it is a fairly easy retrofit.

nike001
12-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I just ordered a pair of E90 ZKW projectors and bowls. When they arrive, I'll do a write up, but from what I gather, it is a fairly easy retrofit.

I've read that they're a direct replacement. Just pop the old ones out and pop the new ones in!

zj96sc
12-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Not so much. Be aware that this is nowhere near a direct replacement type activity. E90s use D1S bulbs, not D2S so you're totally on your own for bulb retention. Also you have to remove the adaptive lighting hinges, drill holes, remove tabs, etc. My first one took me probably 3 hours of fabbing and adjusting with hand tools.

az3579
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Not so much. Be aware that this is nowhere near a direct replacement type activity. E90s use D1S bulbs, not D2S so you're totally on your own for bulb retention. Also you have to remove the adaptive lighting hinges, drill holes, remove tabs, etc. My first one took me probably 3 hours of fabbing and adjusting with hand tools.

As far as bulb retention goes, that is a simple matter of getting D1S bulbs, no?

LivesNearCostco
12-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Has anyone tried repaining the burnt ZKW bowls with high-temp metalic paint or covering the burnt part with gold foil?

Rovert
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5386/foiledgy1.jpg

Tried...I was the originator of finding the burnt ZKW bowls back in 2008 since I think my car had the most nighttime driving from the mileage. It's hard to tell when your lights are having issues because the reflective bowl material degrades over a long period of time. I am fortunate that every car in the household has xenons so I could tell when I compared against the other vehicles. Foil only helps about 10% and don't compare the light coming off the garage door because it's not accurate to what lays on the ground. I tried to contact places that do high temperature plating but there is nothing that I could find that worked with plastic. Maybe someone the USA has more luck due to population.

zj96sc
12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
As far as bulb retention goes, that is a simple matter of getting D1S bulbs, no?

D1S bulbs have integral ignitors (i think that's the part) whereas D2Ss do not....so, no, not really a simple swap. You'd have to replace the electronics of the light.

D1S:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eZcw%2BRLYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

D2S:
http://www.dodgeramaccessories.com/uploads/carparts/big_d2s-philips-hid-bulb_b0161974de5ee049db0ab7fbf4053a45.jpg

edlvrt
12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Projectors came in today. The lenses should be in tomorrow. Looks like I have a project for the weekend!

nk_zhp
12-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I just converted my driver's side with E90 bowls. There was a good amount of cutting on the E90 bowls, however no mods were needed to the existing E46 lights. And the swap was done by accessing from the back side. So the headlight itself did not have to be taken apart. The lighout output is like night and ... well... later that night after the retrofit. I do plan to do a write-up when I replace the other side.

danewilson77
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I just converted my driver's side with E90 bowls. There was a good amount of cutting on the E90 bowls, however no mods were needed to the existing E46 lights. And the swap was done by accessing from the back side. So the headlight itself did not have to be taken apart. The lighout output is like night and ... well... later that night after the retrofit. I do plan to do a write-up when I replace the other side.

Ahhh.... So you just modified e90 bowls.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nk_zhp
12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Ahhh.... So you just modified e90 bowls.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

yes, all and all I had to cut and test fit it about 20 times before it was perfect. There are some very important details in the process that I am hoping to document.

LivesNearCostco
12-08-2011, 03:01 PM
nk_zhp: I read this whole thread at one point but don't remember, is it easy to order just the E90 projector bowls new, or would I need to chase them in a junkyard?

Rovert: Thanks for the photos. To me it looks better than 10% improved in total light output, though I realize the ground pattern might not be so much improved, especially if it's the top of the bowl that throw light onto the ground in front of the car.

Since I recently figured out how to remove my headlights (thanks in part to a DIY here on ZHP Mafia), I might try foiling just the top part of my driver's side bowl to compare.

nk_zhp
12-08-2011, 03:02 PM
nk_zhp: I read this whole thread at one point but don't remember, is it easy to order just the E90 projector bowls new, or would I need to chase them in a junkyard?

Do not believe you can get the projectors new from BMW, so yes.. ebay and the likes.

zj96sc
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the E46 side of things never gets modified unless you use the old bulb retaining clip to make the new one.

nike001
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I just looked at my burnt bowls yesterday will ravaging though some old items that have been replaced with mods.

I was thinking that I may end up retro-fitting FX-R's since I've been seeing their light output and nothing is ever seemingly good for me in regards to light output. I'll probably be able to sell these AL's from the M3 I got them from.

zj96sc
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
i liked the FX-Rs .... I just always felt like JB welding the things in there was so bush league. I guess if you really took your time and aimed them right that's probably the best light output solution. shrug.

danewilson77
12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
You're selling AL's?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nike001
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
You're selling AL's?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whenever I decide on FX-R's I probably will.. Whether that be later this winter or in the spring. I need to build up some funds

derbo
12-10-2011, 02:15 AM
I just recently noticed my light output was kinda getting washed out more on the driver side. Still adequate for now, so I'm definitely looking into this for the near future for upgrades. E90 seems to be the best cheap solution with a little DIY.

https://img.skitch.com/20111210-1jq7x6e8p2r4k341eu73k6u96.png

edlvrt
12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I have completed my E90 reflector swap. I added some notes and pictures to Charlie's thread in the DIY section. Look for post #29 http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-ZKW-Burnt-Projector-Bowl-Repair-Retrofit-DIY

Overall, I am very pleased. Let me know it you have any questions.

cakM3
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
edlvrt, thanks for adding to my DIY thread :thumbsup

This is exactly what I wanted. Have something that will help everyone in the community and we all add to make this DIY better :thumbsup

Johnmadd
12-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I didn't care about the tail light recall, but I really, really care about this. BMW could easily make this right.

edlvrt
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I didn't care about the tail light recall, but I really, really care about this. BMW could easily make this right.

They really should. Though I finally have my lights fixed and working as they should have all this time, I have not given up on my efforts to get this recognized by the NHTSA. I plan on mailing them my old reflectors and a letter shortly. Everyone needs to do their part and continue to call in and file complaints. Be sure spread the word and have other affected owners do the same. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

cakM3
12-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Ed, you're right here. I will be submitting my letter shortly...

What BMW should do is replace these headlight assemblies with the AL headlight assemblies that SNA77 had mentioned as the alternative solution. This is what he did to have workable headlights over the ZKWs...seen at this link:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5619-Another-option-for-bi-xenons-Magneti-Marelli-OEM-replacements (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5619-Another-option-for-bi-xenons-Magneti-Marelli-OEM-replacements)

Steve has a lot of BMW knowledge as well :thumbsup

Johal E32
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Will these parts fix my burnt bowls in my ZKW's?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=131

I have a feeling the first item isn't a bi-xenon projector..

Or would this be a "good" fix?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=236

as well as the shrouds..

nike001
12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Will these parts fix my burnt bowls in my ZKW's?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=131

I have a feeling the first item isn't a bi-xenon projector..

Or would this be a "good" fix?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=236

as well as the shrouds..

The first link is the projector LENS, which is a ZKW-R. You don't need this, since you already have OEM ZKW lenses!
The second link is the shroud (The chome part that goes around the projector to make it look fancy)

The 3rd link are actual projectors, but they are morimoto. I just had morimoto bulbs, and I swapped my OE phillips back in until I can get new phillips bulbs. I'm blaming my lighting problems on the bulbs. Saddle up and get these:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=101

They already come with ZKW-R lenses (which are needed this time, because the projector is 2.5 inches instead of your OE ZKW's which are 3 inches)

Johal E32
12-21-2011, 06:00 PM
The first link is the projector LENS, which is a ZKW-R. You don't need this, since you already have OEM ZKW lenses!
The second link is the shroud (The chome part that goes around the projector to make it look fancy)

The 3rd link are actual projectors, but they are morimoto. I just had morimoto bulbs, and I swapped my OE phillips back in until I can get new phillips bulbs. I'm blaming my lighting problems on the bulbs. Saddle up and get these:

They already come with ZKW-R lenses (which are needed this time, because the projector is 2.5 inches instead of your OE ZKW's which are 3 inches)

thanks man! So is this all I need?

Should I get a shroud or can I re-use my old one?

nike001
12-21-2011, 06:06 PM
thanks man! So is this all I need?

Should I get a shroud or can I re-use my old one?

I'm not sure if you need a shroud or not. I'm in the same boat as you..because I'm getting FX-R's, but I'm not sure if i need the shrouds yet or not. I would think that we do since the old projector is 3" whereas the new one is 2.5".

maybe someone will chime in here and tell us

Johal E32
12-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure if you need a shroud or not. I'm in the same boat as you..because I'm getting FX-R's, but I'm not sure if i need the shrouds yet or not. I would think that we do since the old projector is 3" whereas the new one is 2.5".

maybe someone will chime in here and tell us

Alright, thanks for the response though!

Driving around town is not big deal due to all the other lights around me... But on the highway, I think my angel eye's are a main source of lighting for me...These ZKW's are absolutely horrendous.

nike001
12-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Alright, thanks for the response though!

Driving around town is not big deal due to all the other lights around me... But on the highway, I think my angel eye's are a main source of lighting for me...These ZKW's are absolutely horrendous.

I hear you. I retrofitted AL lights from an e46 M3 coupe last year, but now I'm looking into getting more light. I'll probably just retrofit FX-R's in to my old ZKW housings and then sell these AL ones as a whole for someone looking for a fix that doesn't involve them taking everything apart

Smolck
12-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Man what a day. So I decided to visit my local junkyard and tried reflector bowls from an X5, E39, E34, E36, E38, E90 and finally a facelift E46 with AL lights. NONE of them worked on my ZKW lights. All of the mounting holes were in the wrong spots. I even brought the entire housing home and tried to retrofit the AL light bezel and all into my housing, it is different and does not work.

So all that for nothing. However, tomorrow I am going to try something that may be a decent fix for now. I will update you all if it works!

Rovert
12-22-2011, 07:28 PM
OooOoo...I see a Smolckerizing coming!!! :roundel

nike001
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Man what a day. So I decided to visit my local junkyard and tried reflector bowls from an X5, E39, E34, E36, E38, E90 and finally a facelift E46 with AL lights. NONE of them worked on my ZKW lights. All of the mounting holes were in the wrong spots. I even brought the entire housing home and tried to retrofit the AL light bezel and all into my housing, it is different and does not work.

So all that for nothing. However, tomorrow I am going to try something that may be a decent fix for now. I will update you all if it works!

No! It DOES fit! My current lights are from a pre-facelift COUPE (m3) and they fit! You need to get the mounting thing that goes UNDER the lights that attaches to the lights. The whole housing will swap over in place of your ZKW

cakM3
12-23-2011, 04:48 AM
I hear you. I retrofitted AL lights from an e46 M3 coupe last year, but now I'm looking into getting more light. I'll probably just retrofit FX-R's in to my old ZKW housings and then sell these AL ones as a whole for someone looking for a fix that doesn't involve them taking everything apart

I went this route with my burnt out ZKW reflector bowls. I swapped them out for the OEM ///M3 AL projector bowls and swapped out the bosh lens for the ZKW lens. I liked the results...much more lighting from just the lens swap alone :thumbsup

I have a detailed DIY from doing this swap here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-ZKW-Burnt-Projector-Bowl-Repair-Retrofit-DIY (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-ZKW-Burnt-Projector-Bowl-Repair-Retrofit-DIY)

Smolck, take a look at the diy, it might help you out...:)

Smolck
12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Smolck, take a look at the diy, it might help you out...:)

Thanks, I saw it. I may try it, but I really don't like the idea of hacking my housing. if I screw up (and I will) I am hosed. I dunno. I think I am going to try putting aluminum tape in there and polish it with my dremel and mag wheel polish. Might be good enough until I can save up for the lightwerks fix. My old 323i was a car that I would do ANYTHING to just for kicks, I promised myself I wouldn't do that in a car this nice. Plus, I have only had it for two days.

cakM3
12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks, I saw it. I may try it, but I really don't like the idea of hacking my housing. if I screw up (and I will) I am hosed. I dunno. I think I am going to try putting aluminum tape in there and polish it with my dremel and mag wheel polish. Might be good enough until I can save up for the lightwerks fix. My old 323i was a car that I would do ANYTHING to just for kicks, I promised myself I wouldn't do that in a car this nice. Plus, I have only had it for two days.

I know where you are coming from regarding costly mistakes, that's why I put up this DIY to help others. If you are going to have someone else do this retrofit then I would go with Lightwerks solution. They seem to have the best solution if you are willing to shell out more than $200. Since the dremeling and cutting was at a minimum, I felt comfortable enough to tackle this job for under $200. In the end it came out very well and I now have more than adequate lighting. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted :thumbsup

Smolck
12-23-2011, 02:45 PM
OKay, so I didn't work today and just sitting around the house wasn't in the cards. So I went ahead and did the retrofit found here.....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585551

Worked pretty good. I have to finish up because I don't have the wiring done for the bi-xenon shutter, for some reason my auto leveling won't work, and I don't have a way to mount the high beam headlight. BUT, the light output with my brand new 6000k bulb is nothing short of spectacular. I used my old ZKW lens and wow, wow, wow. I can see!!!!

Sorry, pics aren't that good, but I DID IT! Once the wiring is done it'll be 100 perfect. Notice the new headlight lens. Makes the car look 10 years newer, on that side anyways.

Hornung418
12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Wrong link in your post, Smolck.

Smolck
12-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Here is a more dramatic look at the difference. First pic is unfixed ZKW light on drivers side only. Second is the new retrofit on the passenger side only. Amazing.

Rovert
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Damn!!! Now that's what I call a successful ShadMod! There's no cheese in this retro!

Smolck
12-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Here is my bowl, never seen one like this before.

Rovert
12-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Holy moly...keep that for the BMW records!! Email that to BMW NA!!!

Hornung418
12-24-2011, 09:31 AM
So I finally found someone who had retrofitted AL Bi-Xenons into a 99-01 sedan housing!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13592128&postcount=105

If I can't find a way to do this myself for less, I will definitely pounce on these! He currently want's $550 for the set. But I want to see if I can't get them for $500 shipped to my apartment. Then I need to have an Updated LCM...Trying to get an 06 with an SW value of 4.0 or 4.5 as they have the triple flash blinker! So that will be shipped to TerraPhantm directly and have him code it for all that cool stuff and then ship it to me :) My dream of being able to see at night is finally coming true!!

Whitexi
12-24-2011, 02:12 PM
So I finally found someone who had retrofitted AL Bi-Xenons into a 99-01 sedan housing!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13592128&postcount=105

If I can't find a way to do this myself for less, I will definitely pounce on these! He currently want's $550 for the set. But I want to see if I can't get them for $500 shipped to my apartment. Then I need to have an Updated LCM...Trying to get an 06 with an SW value of 4.0 or 4.5 as they have the triple flash blinker! So that will be shipped to TerraPhantm directly and have him code it for all that cool stuff and then ship it to me :) My dream of being able to see at night is finally coming true!!

I want that tipple blinker!

LivesNearCostco
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks to the DIYs here (and one from E46 fanatics), I took apart my driver's side headlight last night. Of course I didn't remember all the details and didn't print it out, so I almost broke the adaptive leveling connector and the black ridged trim piece that snaps in between the low and high beam bowls. And I spent 30 minutes trying to get the projector bowl out the back--fail! Finally I did take it apart properly and now all the talk about lens, bi-Xenon shutter, igniter, ballast/transformer, and headlight adjutstment make sense to me!

For example I thought there was only one aiming dial for up-down adjustment, didn't know you could adjust left-right. And didn't realize there are TWO servos in there, one for bi-Xenon shutter and other for auto-leveling. Previously assumed the auto-leveling was done by the bi-Xenon shutter--silly me! Also I understand how angel eyes are fitted--mine are Umnitza but didn't know that until last night (installed by PO).

The bowl was burnt worse than I thought from previously just peaking at the back; it has a small crack in center of the most burnt part. Will post pix later. I lined the top 1/3rd of the bowl with aluminum foil and tonight will see if that helps. Then I can put in the new D2S bulbs I got from Khoalty. Thanks to this forum, and some hours of work in the garage, I feel confident enough to retrofit new projector bowls if only some trimming and drilling is required. But hoping the aluminum foil and new bulbs will hold me over until they have a recall on these.

Interesting, I didn't take off my passenger side light, but the harness plug sockets and transformer/ballast setup look different on that side. ????

Edit: Adding pics of burnt projector bowl

iZHP
01-02-2012, 11:49 AM
^ That's pretty bad.

Rovert
01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
It looks like my smore that I burned in the embers....Foil wrapping it didn't make it taste any better so I had to get a new marshmallow.

LivesNearCostco
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Just confirmed my passenger side headlight is AL while driver's side is ZKW. Different style igniter, different projector lens, and metal projector bowl. Now how did that happen? Maybe it was an accident repair or warranty replacement under a PO. Now I know why my right side HID was so much brighter than my left.

Rovert
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Wow....at least you're 50% OK! Haha...better than having a Chevrolet Sonic and not have rear brake pads installed by accident at the factory!

Johnmadd
01-02-2012, 06:09 PM
I haven't tried the aluminum foil but.. there is a aluminum reflective type of tape available in wide strip rolls that would apply smoother and are more reflective than the foil imo.

Johnmadd
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I haven't tried the aluminum foil but.. there is a aluminum reflective type of tape available in wide strip rolls that would apply smoother and are more reflective than the foil imo.

Like this
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-SpecialtyTapes/SpcltyTape/ProdInfo/Spec6/AlumFoil425/

LivesNearCostco
01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
JohnMadd, nice suggestion on the tape. I was frustrated at how crinkly looking my aluminum foil ended up after trimming and shaping it. I'd be lucky if it's reflecting 30% as well as the original reflective coating, but then it's a lot better than the transluscent or dark brown plastic! That 3M tape looks promising, and I could make a template out of paper or aluminum foil and cut the tape to shape before the peel and stick step. But can it stand the heat? It says heat reflective and flame resistant, but maximum operating temp is 300F.

I was wondering if any of the high-temp Duplicolor or VHT automotive spray paints used on brake calipers or valve covers are reflective enough. Anyone seen a high-temp silver or chrome paint that's really reflective?

Smolck
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I finally got the parts to do my second side (driver) ZKW to AL housing retrofit. As before I swapped the ZKW lens into the Bosch holder. The light output isn't quite as good on this side, but it could be my lens, it is nasty and needs to be replaced. But, as it sits I have TONS of light as compared to before.

az3579
02-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I think I promised some pictures at some point of the lighting with the M3 projectors. I had the perfect opportunity a few nights ago, so here goes.

Low beams:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/IMG_2177.jpg

High beams:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/IMG_2176-1.jpg

Rovert
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I need my light output back.... I need something that I can do in an hour for each side. I've taken my lights out many times in a row so I have that. I have no taken the projectors out of the housing though. I only have taken the bowl out in a fitting puzzle it is to take out. Then put a replacement back in.

nike001
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I need my light output back.... I need something that I can do in an hour for each side. I've taken my lights out many times in a row so I have that. I have no taken the projectors out of the housing though. I only have taken the bowl out in a fitting puzzle it is to take out. Then put a replacement back in.

I'm retrofitting FX-R's currently. I *NOW* have M3 AL lights, that I plan on getting rid of after this project is completed..since I don't need 2 sets of headlights. Let me know if you want them.

SIDE NOTE: Does anyone have any spare ZKW parts? I need the auto-leveling motor and the projector mount/high beam bowl thing for the drivers side.

Mtnman
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Get Depos. Thats what I did two years ago. take out old, pop in new.

Rovert
02-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I'd rather retro with excellent light output. I don't want to lose my clear ZKW lens :D

Are FX-R retro's light years better than M3 AL output? Are your ALs using ZKW lens or the sand blasted (fresnel) AL lens?

az3579
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
David,
Depos don't compare to AL's. The way the light is thrown is not good. I've seen them firsthand and was appalled. They are a huge jump above halogens, though, and would take the Depo's over burned ZKWs anyday.

The line of greatness from least to best:
Halogens &lt; Depo's &lt; AL's &lt; FX-R's.

It's all about the way the light is projected. Ask Ian; we couldn't get his girlfriend's car with Depo's aligned perfectly no matter what we tried. The lights were always somehow misadjusted and as a result they were always either too high or too low, not to mention the lack of side to side adjustment (kept turning the knobs with no effect). Output was fine though.

Do you have any of these issues, David? Perhaps she just has a bad set?

Trevor,
I have the ZKW lens. We swapped it when we swapped the projectors. Pure awesome!

For less than $200 (in my case, less than $150); you can have very well functioning lights you won't have to touch again. Pure win in my book.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

nike001
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I'd rather retro with excellent light output. I don't want to lose my clear ZKW lens :D

Are FX-R retro's light years better than M3 AL output? Are your ALs using ZKW lens or the sand blasted (fresnel) AL lens?

They're quite a bit better.. from what I've seen. My AL's are currently wearing my old ZKW lenses, so there is an awesome blue cutoff.

Here are my FX-R's with CBI bulbs (top) vs my AL's with normal phillips bulbs:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/bsktsk8ter9/2b01c955.jpg

But even still, the AL's w/ ZKW lenses are no slouch. Here is a cell picture I took a couple weeks ago:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/bsktsk8ter9/41465c5e.jpg

Mtnman
02-01-2012, 04:49 PM
David,
Depos don't compare to AL's. The way the light is thrown is not good. I've seen them firsthand and was appalled. They are a huge jump above halogens, though, and would take the Depo's over burned ZKWs anyday.

The line of greatness from least to best:
Halogens &lt; Depo's &lt; AL's &lt; FX-R's.

It's all about the way the light is projected. Ask Ian; we couldn't get his girlfriend's car with Depo's aligned perfectly no matter what we tried. The lights were always somehow misadjusted and as a result they were always either too high or too low, not to mention the lack of side to side adjustment (kept turning the knobs with no effect). Output was fine though.

Do you have any of these issues, David? Perhaps she just has a bad set?

Trevor,
I have the ZKW lens. We swapped it when we swapped the projectors. Pure awesome!

For less than $200 (in my case, less than $150); you can have very well functioning lights you won't have to touch again. Pure win in my book.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

I did not know side adjustment was an option. Ill have to look at it. (feel free to show me how) Up and down adjustment is fine and i am happy with it. Id like to bring the passenger one in a little more towards the drivers side, but all in all, waaaay better than the burnt bowls. Ive had some other issues here and there (like my new lense covers dont seem to fit quite right, but i also didnt buy the new seals with them, so...) but at the time, and for the $, it was good. If someone needs a cheap and easy way to replace a burnt bowl, then I would recommend. If someone has a lot of technical experience and some time, then a retro fit would be better (i assume). This was not available when i did it. I would most likely have retro fit mine if i could do it again, but I have the time and the $ has also come way down on the DIY.

cakM3
02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
@ nike

Glad to hear that you got everything sorted out on the FX-R retrofit. I just wish you had made a good detailed DIY for these. I would most likely have tried this retrofit with my spare set of ZKW headlight assemblies since I have a set of FX-R projectors here....

and.....where did you get the CBI bulbs from?

nike001
02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
@ nike

Glad to hear that you got everything sorted out on the FX-R retrofit. I just wish you had made a good detailed DIY for these. I would most likely have tried this retrofit with my spare set of ZKW headlight assemblies since I have a set of FX-R projectors here....

and.....where did you get the CBI bulbs from?

Actually, I didn't get the retro sorted out :( Those shots were just a projector laying on a flat spot of my engine bay with a bulb & ignitor hooked up to it. I'll (hopefully) finish it up this weekend (assuming I dont need a new headlight bracket)

I can try to make a DIY with what I have left. Terra and I mainly just followed other peoples DIY's.

I got my CBI's from a group buy on HIDPlanet.com for something like $190 shipped. IIRC, the group buy ended today. I'll inform you on the next group buy I become aware of.

Rovert
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
What's a CBI? speak engrish!! :P

iZHP
02-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Ask Ian; we couldn't get his girlfriend's car with Depo's aligned perfectly no matter what we tried. The lights were always somehow misadjusted and as a result they were always either too high or too low, not to mention the lack of side to side adjustment (kept turning the knobs with no effect). Output was fine though.

They're still not quite right :/ The side adjustment doesn't do anything like he said, they just go up and down.

I still have to go back to the garage across the street to align mine...they're way too high. I know my side to side adjuster works, though.

Mtnman
02-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Where are the side adjusters?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

iZHP
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Where are the side adjusters?

I don't recall which one exactly, but it's one of the two knobs. One makes it go up and down, the other left right.

Hornung418
02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I believe this is short for Cool Blue Intense. Osram 5000K bulbs.

nike001
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Yup. Hornung got it.

PM me if you'd like my AL's after I get my FX-R's sorted out.

SoarinZHP
02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
This entire thread has me concerned about the best way to proceed. I was intrigued by the E90 retrofit and thought that would be the best way to go. Went online, found a set of all metal E90 projectors.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/mrkrisb/3873ecfc.jpg

I know these are the wrong lamp holders. The company/person I bought the projectors from included the ones with the square holder that looks like it has a bent paper clip to hold the lamp in place...

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/mrkrisb/38b17343.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/mrkrisb/a377d600.jpg

Can anyone tell if these will work? There are made out of metal - the entire thing. It's a big project for me and I don't want to get caught with my pants down by having the wrong parts....

Whatya thinK?

edlvrt
02-01-2012, 08:27 PM
This entire thread has me concerned about the best way to proceed. I was intrigued by the E90 retrofit and thought that would be the best way to go. Went online, found a set of all metal E90 projectors.

Whatya thinK?

Hmm, those look different than the E90 projectors I purchased for my bowl swap. Without having it in my hand, the best I can say is take your time, measure twice, step back for a cold on or two, measure again, and cut/drill/glue/modify as necessary. Good luck.

cakM3
02-02-2012, 04:28 AM
^
+1

That's good advice :thumbsup

iZHP
02-02-2012, 04:41 AM
I need to begin this process soon...

ryankokesh
02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I contacted the NHTSA, but for some reason I have a feeling that'll do absolutely nothing. What I did include in my letter though was the potential fire hazard these seem to pose. Does anyone else feel like if these are burning so terribly, the plastic could melt, causing something to actually catch fire? Maybe that's an exaggeration, but it seems like a possibility to me.

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 08:15 AM
So can I just buy the FXR's from Lightwerkz for $135 and plop them in? I read this entire thread and I'm still a little confused... :blink

http://shop.lightwerkz.net/Morimoto-FXR-11-Bixenon-Projectors-D2S#

nike001
02-14-2012, 08:23 AM
So can I just buy the FXR's from Lightwerkz for $135 and plop them in? I read this entire thread and I'm still a little confused... :blink

http://shop.lightwerkz.net/Morimoto-FXR-11-Bixenon-Projectors-D2S#

No. There is dremeling to be done. The FX-R projector is WAY bigger than the OEM ones that come on E46's

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
I can dremel. I think I'm just going to order these and be done with it.

So I basically just make the replacement look like the original, using a dremel?

nike001
02-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I can dremel. I think I'm just going to order these and be done with it.

So I basically just make the replacement look like the original, using a dremel?

Oh yeah, I forgot you're in a ZHP now.

Here are two good DIY's you can follow:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=760394
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=772065

zj96sc
02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
There is no 100% plug and play swap except for AL parts, and even that isn't cut and dry.

E90 bowls require some massaging, cutting, clipping to fit, and then you have the issue of the bulb holder.

FXR or any of lightwerkz stuff is a total non-oem retrofit that ultimately gets held in with JB weld. By far the best light quality, but it will take a lot of work to have the physical retrofit be quality.

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Hmm, cool. Thanks for the links. I think this might be the route I go. I'll have to think about i...

llll1l1ll
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
What about the Depo 46s? Aren't they just drop in and go?

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 10:22 AM
From my understanding (read: what follows is probably not correct) they are plug and play, but the light quality isn't as good for some reason, they aren't adjustable, and you loose the brights? And I think they're more than 2x as much $$.

zj96sc
02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I left depos out because I have never heard a single positive thing about them.

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Or that.

nike001
02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm still waiting on fitting my FX-R's in.. but ATM I have AL's from an M3. I'll be taking those out and dropping in my FX-R's in a completely different housing. SO I'll have a full set of AL's that are true plug and play to any other 3er. That will be a nice way to go if you're looking for an easy way to get it done..

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I might be interested in that... pm me with price details and when you'd be able to ship them. thanks!

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm still waiting on fitting my FX-R's in.. but ATM I have AL's from an M3. I'll be taking those out and dropping in my FX-R's in a completely different housing. SO I'll have a full set of AL's that are true plug and play to any other 3er. That will be a nice way to go if you're looking for an easy way to get it done..

Why would you get rid of the Al's....drop in, plug and play.....and get FX-R's? Is the light output that much more superior?

nike001
02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Why would you get rid of the Al's....drop in, plug and play.....and get FX-R's? Is the light output that much more superior?

Yes. Didn't you see my picture a few weeks ago? FX-R-top AL-bottom:

Rovert
02-14-2012, 03:10 PM
It's amazing..I wonder where all the leftover light is going in the AL system.....it's got to be going somewhere...either leaking somewhere else or by heat if the laws of physics apply. :)

SoarinZHP
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I hate this thread and it is probably the most important one. I will be attempting the E90 retrofit this weekend. Oy.

SoarinZHP
02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
either leaking somewhere else or by heat if the laws of physics apply. :)

Leaking should be fixable by some means. I would think heat would be a bulb issue? Do FX-R's use a new bulb or is this the old ZHP bulb? Can replacing the ZHP bulb achieve the same results with the E90 AL parts?

Hornung418
02-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Depos are absolute shit. Don't buy them. Period.

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Point taken :)

I'll be ordering the fx-r's tonight, and then promptly waiting for dalton to do his so he can help me :D

And then, I will drive at night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nike001
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Point taken :)

I'll be ordering the fx-r's tonight, and then promptly waiting for dalton to do his so he can help me :D

And then, I will drive at night!

:rofl I was scared shitless to drive at night with my ZKW's. People thought I had halogens..and then they said that if they are halogens, that they were crappy. I also got quite a few "I thought BMW's were supposed to have good lights?"

A few months after getting my car I had to make a trip ~1hr away and while driving there and back in the rain/snow I was almost blind. I can vividly remember getting side-by-side with a late 80's Dodge Ram and almost crying because his lights were better than mine.

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Yes. Didn't you see my picture a few weeks ago? FX-R-top AL-bottom:

Yes. I did see your pic... From a few weeks ago. I read a lot of threads, and decided not to commit that post to memory.

Just wanted fellas here to know the light output from the Al's were inferior.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Just wanted fellas here to know the light output from the Al's were inferior.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Inferior, perhaps yes to the FX-R, but in no way are the AL's inferior when not comparing to something. They light friggin' AWESOME overall.

nike001
02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Inferior, perhaps yes to the FX-R, but in no way are the AL's inferior when not comparing to something. They light friggin' AWESOME overall.

e46 projectors are known for being just about the best when it comes to their depth and distance that they provide.

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Yes. That's what I meant. Of course. Inferior in this particular comparison.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
FX-R-top AL-bottom:

Holy crap on a cracker, that difference is substantial. that's enough to make me consider cobbling some into my as yet unburned zkws....

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Holy crap on a cracker, that difference is substantial. that's enough to make me consider cobbling some into my as yet unburned zkws....

Lol... Cobbling.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
02-14-2012, 07:43 PM
I need Projectors...

My pitted lenses and unleveled Halogen bowls is damn near worthless at night. Really considering shelling out the $500 for a retrofitted set. I had to back out at the end of last year, but I'm waiting on my tax return to get them.

zj96sc
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
If you've got halogens I'd jump on the FX-Rs in a heartbeat. I am seriously impressed with that picture nike posted.

I just don't like the dremel plus JB weld process for lighting....seems short lived and haphazard for something as safety critical and aim/alignment sensitive as lighting. That said, I think if you were really diligent and careful about it you could come up with something clean, professional, adjustable, and long lasting. If I had an extra set of lights (or very burned ZKWs or very bad shape halogens) I think I'd be willing to try it out.

iZHP
03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Got the FX-R retrofit done :)
Re-installed the lights today.
I'm absolutely impressed with the results. I can actually see now, and they still have a nice cutoff.
Dropped them off at Lightwerkz (very close to me) yesterday, and got them back today.

Big thanks to Caesar over at Lightwerkz!

For sale: ZKW Projectors with lenses. Passengers side is a brand new bowl.
Posting these on eBay shortly.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/eee12c59.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/f148cd3b.jpg

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
That cutoff is baller.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you. It's very close to what the ZKW's (were supposed to) look like.

cakM3
03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
yeah, that is awesome lighting. I have an extra set of headlight assemblies and FX-R projectors that I will be sending to Caesar this summer for my retrofit :) Looks great :thumbsup

Hornung418
03-11-2012, 06:19 PM
These are OEM AL Bi-Xenon projectors with OEM Ballasts and Ignitors

zhp43867
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I do believe those with the facelift coupe xenons have the best lighting of all! My ZHP sedan has the TFX retrofit and my new coupe has the adaptive xenons, and they are not quite as wide but they make up for that with the overall intensity and brightness of the light.

A little bit off topic but I used to wonder how the facelift coupe (not the same as pre-facelift coupe, AL sedan xenon etc.) stacked up against the TFX, now I know.

tripod06
03-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know what a full retrofit from Lightwerkz would cost about ?

nike001
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I got an email from lightwerkz about a retrofit. Hang on let me dig it up.

LIGHTWERKZ: $365 for labor
LIGHTMODZ: $250

EDIT: I'll PM the rest of this to you since I have personal preferences when it comes to the 2 companies who PM'ed me back on hidplanet based on their responses.

tripod06
03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
PM received. I took apart my headlights Saturday (Sunday was raining all day) and found i have the burnt bowls too :'(

iZHP
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I would definitely recommend Lightwerkz. Super fast turn around time, great customer service, and it was an affordable retrofit.

E-mail Caesar and ask for a quote!

ryankokesh
04-27-2012, 07:21 AM
So I spoke with the NHTSA a while back about the burnt bowl issue, and they requested I take my car to the dealership to see what they had to say about it. Well, I finally got around to making an appointment for tomorrow, so maybe I'll be able to get some answers from someone. Not expecting anything really, but I did want to be able to get back to the nhtsa.

That said though, does anyone have any ideas about what I should say/ask? My bowls are actually burnt all the way through (as in you can see the light of day through them) so I'm kind of playing it as a potential fire hazard as well as the huge safety issue of not being able to see at night.

Any thoughts from the mafia think tank?

Rovert
04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I think the fire hazard and inability to see far ahead is a great start. Another one is most cars will cast a shadow in front of your car at night making it even harder to see what's ahead.

ryankokesh
04-27-2012, 08:02 AM
I think some guy on a bike with a crummy flashlight strapped to the handlebars rode by me and cast a shadow :)

danewilson77
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Ryan. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I have nothing to add, other than the fact that, a headlight should not be a standard wear part. The bulb... Sure. The bowl, no way. Should last life of car.

Sent from SIGFest 2012

danewilson77
Ryan. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I have nothing to add, other than the fact that, a headlight should not be a standard wear part. The bulb... Sure. The bowl, no way. Should last life of car.

Sent from SIGFest 2012

danewilson77
Ryan,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I have nothing to add, other than the fact that, a headlight should not be a standard wear part. The bulb... Sure. The bowl, no way. Should last life of car.

Sent from SIGFest 2012

ryankokesh
04-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Well, surprise surprise Patrick BMW changed their story when I got there this morning. All of a sudden it was $200 to diagnose the problem because the car is out of warranty, and then it actually went up again while I was talking with the guy to $200 per headlight :rofl yesterday the lady was super nice about it on the phone, asked if I had a number etc for them to mail or fax what they found...this guy was just an ass.

So, back to the nhtsa to see what they have to say. I obviously didn't pay to have them tell me something I already knew, and that was actually per the request of a government agency.

Glad I got out of the house so early to basically be insulted. Gotta love dealers...

danewilson77
04-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Ugh. Put a check on the ock for that being completed.

Sent from SIGFest 2012

cakM3
04-28-2012, 06:13 AM
dealer told me the reason the projector bowls got burned out is because the bulbs weren't installed correctly. How can this be???? The bulb holders are "keyed" so the bulb can go on one way....then there's the bulb retainer that ensures the bulb is correctly held in place and aligned. I didn't buy their answer so I just rebuilt my headlights....still disgusted by how BMW will address a tail light issue but won't bother with the burnt bowls issue on ZKW headlight assemblies.....

ryankokesh
04-28-2012, 06:20 AM
They also told me they had to remove the entire bumper to get to the headlight. Ummm...I think yer doin it wrong....

Rovert
04-28-2012, 10:49 AM
LOL I can remove my headlight in 3 minutes. The magic is I don't have to take the bumper off. Damn BMW......

cakM3
04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
They also told me they had to remove the entire bumper to get to the headlight. Ummm...I think yer doin it wrong....

The dealership is trying to rip you off by telling you this. The headlights can be removed with bumper in place...:facepalm