PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

xtremecro
06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm new to cars. I don't know much about parts. But I'm learning everyday with this forum. I have a sedan (zhp obv) i have xenon headlights I want to go brighter. Not blue but like super white. Now what bulbs do you reccomend? Also want to put angel eyes in. Buy a kit? Or new headlights with angel eyes. Addiotionaly yellow fog lights. What bulbs as well. I'm 18 go to college an pay my car so budget is kind of tight. Thanks for your help guys it's appreciated!

az3579
06-29-2011, 03:06 AM
If you have an issue with lighting not being bright enough, it is possible you have ZKW lights (ZKW is the brand). This brand is notorious for burnt projector bowls, which will decrease your lighting output. If these bowls are burnt, you won't get any brighter light output by changing the bulbs, and the lights have to be replaced if this is the case.

For angel eyes, you can get these anywhere, really. JLevisw, Khoalty, Umnitza are just some of the places you can get it. Check out our affiliates (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?229-List-of-Affiliate-Advertisers-at-ZHP-Mafia) page for other vendors that may carry them.

You can make your fogs appear yellow by applying yellow Lamin-X film over it, which will make it appear yellow and protect your fog lights from chips and other bad things.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-29-2011, 07:10 AM
I moved this thread to the lighting forum (in case anyone wants to know where this thread went).

DeM3n
06-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Jlevisw has a set of nice yellow 9006 bulbs for your fogs. They also have the replacement D2s bulbs that can give you a "brighter" look. For brighter, maybe a 5k. I personally love 6k cause it has a hint of blue in it.

As for AE, I have the LED ones from Khoalty and I like them. Install is a PITA (only because of baking) but other than that they're not too bad. I've also heard good things about Weisschleit (sp?) or something like that. Jlevisw has those.

az3579
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
As for AE, I have the LED ones from Khoalty and I like them. Install is a PITA (only because of baking) but other than that they're not too bad. I've also heard good things about Weisschleit (sp?) or something like that. Jlevisw has those.

I believe baking is only necessary on the coupes, as those headlights are a sealed unit. You have a coupe, correct?
The OP is a sedan, based on his avatar pic.

danewilson77
06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Jlevisw has a set of nice yellow 9006 bulbs for your fogs. They also have the replacement D2s bulbs that can give you a "brighter" look. For brighter, maybe a 5k. I personally love 6k cause it has a hint of blue in it.

I have the Weisslicht's. Been rollin them now for over 2 years. No issues.

DeM3n
06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I believe baking is only necessary on the coupes, as those headlights are a sealed unit. You have a coupe, correct?
The OP is a sedan, based on his avatar pic.

You sir, are correct!

xtremecro
07-06-2011, 06:29 PM
so what brand ae do u reccomend? dem3n how are your khoaltys?

Johal E32
07-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I have the Orion V2's LED angel eyes from Umnitza and they work great. I don't have the remote...
http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_113&products_id=1198

cakM3
07-07-2011, 03:09 AM
The Weisslicht Angel Eyes are supposed to be the best. For ease of install I'd go with LED over CCFL because you don't have to worry about wiring the ballasts and finding a place to mount them. There have been forum members (E46Fanatics) that have had issues with CCFL ballasts catching on fire (most likely due to improper installation). This is something you want to keep in mind. Also with CCFLs, somtimes they all don't light up right away due to cold weather. LEDs, on the other hand, don't have this issue.

I went with Khoalty for my LED AEs. You can get Weisslicht from Jlevi SW and I'm sure other vendors. Hope this helps...

danewilson77
07-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Brother...I have the Weisslichts and your opening statement is not true. The Orion V2's are better....though I have never had an issue with the W's.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
07-07-2011, 06:03 AM
I stand corrected, thanks!

danewilson77
07-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I stand corrected, thanks!

Considering price of $130 for the W's I think they are an excellent setup. The V2's quality is unmatched though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

spencers
07-07-2011, 09:01 AM
If you're trying to find better xenon bulbs, you will NOT find anything with greater light output (lumens) than what bulbs originally came with your car, be it Phillips or Osram.

The ZKW issue was hit upon earlier, but I just wanted to re-iterate my golden statement about xenon bulbs. Stay away from junk bulbs and you'll have better light output. Don't sacrifice lumens for looks.

xtremecro
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
i dont have zkw. im a 05. so my best bet is just leave bulbs as is? go wit 6k angel eyes and swap out yellow fog bulbs?

DeM3n
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
so what brand ae do u reccomend? dem3n how are your khoaltys?

The Khoalty's have been great so far. No issues. Wiring was a snap as was install... besides the baking, as mentioned before.

Considering price of $130 for the W's I think they are an excellent setup. The V2's quality is unmatched though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

$130 for the W's huh? I'm sure they're a great kit but you can't beat $50 for the Khoalty kit :)

danewilson77
07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
The Khoalty's have been great so far. No issues. Wiring was a snap as was install... besides the baking, as mentioned before.

$130 for the W's huh? I'm sure they're a great kit but you can't beat $50 for the Khoalty kit :)

Sure....but I doubt $50 gets you a lifetime guarantee.

I am sure khoa offers a solid product though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

pleasecorrupt
07-08-2011, 05:10 AM
from what i read, khoa is plagued with 3led problem and their customer service is horrid.

ex1.
http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=833717

given that the guy seemed kind of hotheaded, thats not any kind of customer service

DeM3n
07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Sure....but I doubt $50 gets you a lifetime guarantee.

I am sure khoa offers a solid product though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

No lifetime warranty with mine but when I ordered mine they were offering it... I just choose not to get it. I looked at their website and now it says their discontinuing their product.

My personal experience was positive, however. I have their license plate LED light kit, interior LED kit, and AEs. No issues with any of them and they all work flawlessly together.

from what i read, khoa is plagued with 3led problem and their customer service is horrid.

ex1.
http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=833717

given that the guy seemed kind of hotheaded, thats not any kind of customer service

Yeah, I saw that guy's thread which made me dread ordering from them since I had already put in the order. However, the products I received were quality. They did mess up an order in my interior LED kit but sent me the right bulbs rather quickly.

danewilson77
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Many times...it's all in how the CUSTOMER handles the situation.

DeM3n
07-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Many times...it's all in how the CUSTOMER handles the situation.

True that. Being a d*ck leads to being treated like one real fast. Same goes for when you're dealing with cops, IMO.