PDA

View Full Version : Vanos seal/rattle repair kits

Cadeez
06-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Has anyone DIY'd either or both of these? I was just going to do the seals, but figured while I'm in there I might as well do the rattle repair kit as well. Both look relatively easy, just time consuming. Is it really as easy as it looks in the Beisan DIY? I'm going to do it in the next couple weeks, just want to see if there's anything I should know before hand? Any issues or problem areas I should know to look out for? And if there's anything else I should replace (other than the VCG) while I'm in there?

http://www.beisansystems.com/

Cadeez
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
I found this thread with some helpful info, parts are on the way! Feels like I'm talking to myself over here...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?182-Does-anyone-have-a-DIY-for-the-BMW-E46-Vanos-seals-and-rattle-fix

Marcus-SanDiego
06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Jeff, quit talking to yourself. :biggrin

Cadeez
06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
You know, they say people that talk to themselves have a higher IQ than those who don't...true story. :roundel

danewilson77
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Lol.....what is vanos?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Has anyone DIY'd either or both of these? I was just going to do the seals, but figured while I'm in there I might as well do the rattle repair kit as well. Both look relatively easy, just time consuming. Is it really as easy as it looks in the Beisan DIY? I'm going to do it in the next couple weeks, just want to see if there's anything I should know before hand? Any issues or problem areas I should know to look out for? And if there's anything else I should replace (other than the VCG) while I'm in there?

http://www.beisansystems.com/

I DIY'd the seals early on in my 325 ownership. It was one of the first DIYs I did. First time I ever opened up the top end of a motor. Prior to it, I had only done oil and spark plugs.

I did my research, reviewed the procedure, took my time, and had zero problems.

Haven't done the anti-rattle kit, but I haven't heard any horror stories yet-- seems as straight forward as the seals.

Plenty of people on here who can lend a hand if you need it.

SoarinZHP
06-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Lol.....what is vanos?

You are on a roll the last couple days?!?!?! Ha.

Cadeez
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I DIY'd the seals early on in my 325 ownership. It was one of the first DIYs I did. First time I ever opened up the top end of a motor. Prior to it, I had only done oil and spark plugs.

I did my research, reviewed the procedure, took my time, and had zero problems.

Haven't done the anti-rattle kit, but I haven't heard any horror stories yet-- seems as straight forward as the seals.

Plenty of people on here who can lend a hand if you need it.

Yeah it looks pretty easy actually, but you never know from drawings sometimes. Good to hear, I'm sure it will go smoothly. I'll be in my dad's shop so we'll have a lift and all the tools I'll ever need. Gonna do the CDV delete and tranny fluid as well, might as well! I'll write a follow up for anyone who's interested in the rattle kit.

KC ZHP
07-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Didn't have time to do the install myself - had the Beisan anti-rattle kit and vanos seals replaced recently. Made a huge improvement in smoothing out and quieting the motor. The shop I used said they now keep the kits in stock as just about every E46 they see has the rattle and needs seals at this age.

Mtnman
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I did it at Dane's house during the meet. Anti rattle was nothing. xtra 30 mins max. Make sure you get the soft vice jaws, and have the right socket for it. No sweat though. I bought a bunch of things as "just in case" but only ended up using new grommets for the valve cover bolts, new valve cover gasket.

Cadeez
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I like the sound of that!