PDA

View Full Version : Optimum No Rinse

az3579
12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I just wanted to let you guys in on an awesome product.

It's called ONR, or Optimum No Rinse (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%2F%3F_from%3DR40%2 6_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3DOptimum%2BNo%2BRinse%2B). It's a product that you add to a 2-gallon bucket of water for washing the car, and does not require a hose to rinse off the car. You can dump your sponge or wash mitt into this bucket of water with ONR solution and start washing the car dry. I kid you not, it does not scratch the paint whatsoever.

My friend has been using it since he leased his 335i in '07. He just returned it, and there aren't any scratches caused by washing the car. It was Montego Blue, so you would have seen it if there were fine scratches.

There's something in the formula that loosens dirt on contact, and the more you use it the easier it becomes, sort of like something used to prolong the life of the wax on your car. To make sure you do the job right, dry the car with microfiber cloths/towels and you'll be golden.

With this stuff, you can wash your car anywhere. I love it because getting to my hose is a pain in the butt and is a very messy business. You can even use this in the comfort of your heated garage.

I highly recommend this product!

danewilson77
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Wow...doesn't leave any swirls in the wax? I am intrigued. Thanks for the review...

Marcus-SanDiego
12-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Agree. Very interested. Gonna do a little homework.

gr330zhp
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Hmm gonna look at this. Interesting

az3579
12-07-2010, 03:27 AM
There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating how well it works. You can even use this stuff (in different concentrations of course) as a spray detailer or clay bar lube, or to clean wheels, etc. It is environmentally friendly as far as I know, so you could dump the water anywhere when you're done.

gr330zhp
12-07-2010, 06:52 AM
There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating how well it works. You can even use this stuff (in different concentrations of course) as a spray detailer or clay bar lube, or to clean wheels, etc. It is environmentally friendly as far as I know, so you could dump the water anywhere when you're done.

Can you get it at your local Advanced Auto or Auto Zone or is it more something from Autogeek etc??

Linh
12-07-2010, 07:00 AM
If not, maybe Amazon might carry it.

az3579
12-07-2010, 08:58 AM
As far as I know, you'd have to order it. I got mine on eBay, but many places online have it. It comes in different sizes; I got the 64 oz. one for between $14-17 (I don't remember the exact amount).

danewilson77
12-07-2010, 11:55 AM
This is the word I just got from my detailing mentor...

"ONR is a really good product. I never use it because I have a heated garage and a drain, so I can just use regular wash.

If your short on water though, or winter. It's a fantastic product. You just gotta make sure you pre-soak salt spots prior to rinse"

Trust this....

az3579
12-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Absolutely. That's high praise coming from a "detailing mentor". :)
Unfortunately not all of us have a heated garage (or a garage at all for that matter), though I'm noting the part where you said salt spots have to be "pre soaked" before rinse... the whole point is that it doesn't require a rinse. What exactly does he mean? Just go over it a couple of times, perhaps?

danewilson77
12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I will ask him in the morning.....good point bro.

Washburn
12-07-2010, 11:05 PM
There are comparable products too, check out the equivalent product on Griot's Garage. IDK if it works as well as NR, but I have heard good things about it, too. I am also going to get ONR in the future, or the Griot's product. I've known about ONR for over 2 yrs, never got a chance to try it out...

danewilson77
12-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Absolutely. That's high praise coming from a "detailing mentor". :)
Unfortunately not all of us have a heated garage (or a garage at all for that matter), though I'm noting the part where you said salt spots have to be "pre soaked" before rinse... the whole point is that it doesn't require a rinse. What exactly does he mean? Just go over it a couple of times, perhaps?

I have asked the above question.

danewilson77
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Answer to above.......

QUESTION
"Unfortunately not all of us have a heated garage (or a garage at all for that matter), though I'm noting the part where you said salt spots have to be "pre soaked" before rinse... the whole point is that it doesn't require a rinse. What exactly does he mean? Just go over it a couple of times, perhaps?"

ANSWER
"lol, detaling mentor.

I mean when you use ONR, it's best to take your diluted formula (usually 1oz per gallon or 2) and apply it early before you actually wipe it down (You can do this with a towel or whatever); just something so you can transfer the liquid over to those spots w/out actually scrubbing at it.

Salt has a tendency to bond to paint, extremely hard. If you just go straight to it, and scrub it off, chances are you will scratch your paint. But if you have the time, take your diluted formula, and along the sides and rear bumper/front...etc, and spot where you have excess build-up, just dab some on there prior to going at it. At least it will help break it up alittle before you tackle that area.

I hope as well you practice 2 bucket method as well....Because the dirt picked up by a mitt can be easily transferred back ontop the paint.

- Hope this helps, let me know if you anything else to ask

-Kyle"

az3579
12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I've always found the two-bucket method a little bit of a faff for one main reason. When you "wash" off the crap off the mitt in the "dirty" bucket, stuff will still stick to it, so when you go to dump it in the "clean" bucket, it will contaminate it and you'll end up with crap on your paint anyway. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for asking him, BTW, I understand what he meant now.

zhp43867
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I've always found the two-bucket method a little bit of a faff for one main reason. When you "wash" off the crap off the mitt in the "dirty" bucket, stuff will still stick to it, so when you go to dump it in the "clean" bucket, it will contaminate it and you'll end up with crap on your paint anyway. Is there something I'm missing?

There is a product called the grit guard which you put in one of the buckets to remove contaminants, it works quite well.

M0nk3y
12-08-2010, 07:12 PM

This is the detailing mentor. Figured I'd just come over here and answer questions

There is a Grit Guard that you put into your clean bucket:

http://www.detailedimage.com/products/auto/119_1_m_2639.jpg

You stick your mitt into the clean bucket, and scrub...It will loosen the dirt from the mitt, and since dirt is heavier than water, it sinks under the grit guard, to the bottom.

In addition, as an extra pre-caution...I have a grit guard in the soap bucket as well.

-Kyle

Marcus-SanDiego
12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
This is the detailing mentor. Figured I'd just come over here and answer questions

There is a Grit Guard that you put into your clean bucket:

http://www.detailedimage.com/products/auto/119_1_m_2639.jpg

You stick your mitt into the clean bucket, and scrub...It will loosen the dirt from the mitt, and since dirt is heavier than water, it sinks under the grit guard, to the bottom.

In addition, as an extra pre-caution...I have a grit guard in the soap bucket as well.

-Kyle

I also use grit guards in each of my buckets. I make sure to agitate the mitt when I rinse and wash.

az3579
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Sweet. I just have to make sure that guard actually fits in the bucket..........

Marcus-SanDiego
12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Sweet. I just have to make sure that guard actually fits in the bucket..........

Botond, I bought 5-gallon buckets from Home Depot and the grit guards fit perfectly at the bottom.

zhp43867
12-09-2010, 04:02 AM
It fits in lots of different buckets as long as they are circular. Since most buckets taper from the bottom to the top; it jus get stuck at different "heights" from the bottom of the bucket depending on the buckets size.