PDA

View Full Version : BMW 325ci transformation

GSEN820
07-06-2011, 11:00 AM
This thread is about a transformation that has occurred in my 2001 325ci non sport package.

While this was the last Mod that was done last night. I will provide the transformation of my car to everyone. The lessons I have learned about the e46 have cost me $$$$ but some have come at learning at the same time. When it comes to Mods it is all a learning experience, which is why we love our cars more and more each day.

Finished product on strut. No problems at all very easy install

Here is what it looked like after install. Adjustments were made during alignment this morning.

I put on an H&R cup kit with race springs in the front and B&G in the rear. I took the car in to get alignment only to find out that it was not going to be possible. I had taken it to two different shops in San Diego (Suspension Plus and Performance Tire-reccomended by Shane at Euro Auto Spot). The results were the same the front could not get anymore than -1.5 in the front. I spoke to Shane and knocking out the pin on the top of the strut mount and removing the bolt would give me more than .25 maybe .50.

I researched all over for a camber kit to find out the it was going to be really expensive. I ordered up Cosmos Racing Kit. (I know I could have went coilovers with camber kit but I was already invested in cup kit).

Here is the install

GSEN820
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM

I took the car in today to performance plus for alignment today. All is well on the home front. I will note that the front end dropped a little more with the camber kit on as it was shorter than stock strut mount.

The ride did not change all that much, which great with me.

Sorry for the crappy iphone picture I will post better pictures once I get digital camera uploaded to computer.

Rear got adjusted at the same time, Can't beat $70 4 wheel alignment

Marcus-SanDiego
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Gary, you want this to serve as a project thread (where you lay out the history of your car, including mods, from beginning to end)?

GSEN820
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes lets do it

Marcus-SanDiego
07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
OK. Just making sure. I didn't want to move the thread if you intended to make this a project thread.

GSEN820
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM

I wanted to go low. I did some searching around on forums and found Racleands. I read up on them and decided to check them out myself. What a nightmare this turned out to be.

I did not know at the time that I would need adjustable end links or shorter ones. I had to scramble around to find end links.

Installation was done by a local shop in SD.

This pic is of them off as I wanted to sell them = )

GSEN820
07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
The racelands had been installed. The car was sitting low as I had hoped it would. I had some style 135s that were purchased from a forum. I thought these rims were baddddddd. I wanted to keep my car OEM or as close to it. I had know clue what a ZHP was at the time as this was my first BMW ever owned.

You can see that my car was stock. Notice the rear bumper, side skirt, window trim......... It will change later I promise

The shop wanted the car low which was fine until tire rub. The shop called me said that I needed to roll the back fender. I got hosed on this deal as the "Mickey Moused" the roll. It looked as it was heated and then "rolled" using a bar of some sort. It was not clean or smooth.

Needless to say never went back to that shop.

As it sat in the shop. One of the things I found was racelands needed to have rims at et25 in the front. I ended up buying spacers for the car. I had installed 20mm in the front and 15mm in the rear (just to even out the look).

Should have done more research in the first place and would have avoided this set up all together.

GSEN820
07-06-2011, 12:36 PM

I picked up this unit to try and do a retro fit. Turned out to be more of a project than even wanted to do. When I started I had a cassette player in the car. OEM cd player now, just thought the Nav unit was really good ( plus i picked this whole kit for $350)

scrapped this idea real quick

az3579
07-06-2011, 12:45 PM

I picked up this unit to try and do a retro fit. Turned out to be more of a project than even wanted to do. When I started I had a cassette player in the car. OEM cd player now, just thought the Nav unit was really good ( plus i picked this whole kit for $350)

scrapped this idea real quick

The OEM nav retrofit is a huuuuge hassle, and that is the reason I didn't bother retrofitting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk