PDA

View Full Version : Poor AM Radio Reception

Scott95
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm new here, but didn't seem to find anything on this site regarding poor or degrading AM reception with the factory radio, so I thought I'd make a post.

I did some searching and got hits on other BMW sites, which pointed me to the driver's side C-pillar (behind the rear pax seat). The rear glass has integrated antennae for AM, FM and the remote control... very nice design IMO! The sneaky Germans did away with the exposed antenna nicely. Anyway, last night I carefully pried the trim away with a non-marring pry tool and found the antenna signal amplifier that connects to the coax running to the head unit. Lo and behold the securing nut on the coax had vibrated loose and was dangling around the end of the coax connector. The antenna was still securely stuck in the amplifier, but I suspect the nut completes the ground/shield and when I screwed it back on the reception suddenly got better and now I can listen to AM without all the interference.

billschusteriv
07-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Nice find and post! Great troubleshooting tip!

I'm mobile so I can't see what model you have (coupe, sedan, vert)? There are some differences in antenna locations across the various models.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk. Booyah!

static667
07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Nicely done. If I'm listening to regular radio, it's usually AM. I can never find anything worth listening to on FM.

Scott95
07-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Nice find and post! Great troubleshooting tip!

I'm mobile so I can't see what model you have (coupe, sedan, vert)? There are some differences in antenna locations across the various models.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk. Booyah!

Good point... I'm in an '04 sedan with the antenna amplifier behind the left C-pillar. The Bentley book shows other locations for the convertible, coupe and wagon.

billschusteriv
07-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Good point... I'm in an '04 sedan with the antenna amplifier behind the left C-pillar. The Bentley book shows other locations for the convertible, coupe and wagon.

Good stuff. That's exactly what I'm referring to in the Bentley. If I get a chance, I'll post up some info on those locations.

I've got two or three antennas/antenna amplifiers in the touring. One is in the hatch spoiler/rear glass, one is in the drivers side/rear side cargo glass, etc... I need to replace the FMZ antenna amplifier in the spoiler...

IIRC, verts have an antenna in their rear view mirror by the clown nose...

johnrando
07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
IIRC, verts have an antenna in their rear view mirror by the clown nose...

We do? I had no idea. The only antenna I knew of was the one on the back left trunk.

Washburn
07-11-2011, 09:26 AM
coupes have the amp also in the C pillar, no? i might check mine, too - get FM static when rear defroster is on - but I think my main problem is this:
i think it was a bad idea to integrate an antenna into the rear window: I, like many others experience FM static when the rear defroster is on. For some reason, after tinting the rear window it seems to have gotten better -

billschusteriv
07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
We do? I had no idea. The only antenna I knew of was the one on the back left trunk.

IIRC, the "antenna" you have there is for your keyless entry.

danewilson77
07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
coupes have the amp also in the C pillar, no? i might check mine, too - get FM static when rear defroster is on - but I think my main problem is this:
i think it was a bad idea to integrate an antenna into the rear window: I, like many others experience FM static when the rear defroster is on. For some reason, after tinting the rear window it seems to have gotten better -

Yes.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/266-1.png

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=65_0481&hg=65&fg=30

johnrando
07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
IIRC, the "antenna" you have there is for your keyless entry.

Ah. Thanks Bill!

Dave1027
02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks. This one is going on my to do list. Radio reception is crap.

johnrando
02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Two things that improved mine. 1st - tightened the antenna connections in the rear of the car. 2nd, I realized that my NAV display interfered with my AM reception. When I turn the monitor off, reception improves. Go figure.

LivesNearCostco
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
John, where are the other antenna connections? Are they like, in the trunk by the amp or behind the head unit? I've tightened my antenna cable a few times. While it improves reception quite a bit if it was loose, even when tight I don't have great AM reception.

johnrando
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Yup, in the trunk by the head unit. I honestly didn't know what I was doing, but just reaching back there making sure everything thing was secure, and sure enough, something I did improved reception. It's not great still, but it got better.