PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 2005 BMW 330 ZHP, Imola 6MT (not mine) SD, CA

therealm3
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Found this one while doing my normal searches. It doesn't look too bad.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302538997&dealer_id=58237362&car_year=2005&systime=&doors=&model=330I&search_lang=en&start_year=2003&body_style=SEDAN&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=500&min_price=&rdm=1310011296698&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=100023432&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2005&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=SACRAMNTO-STKTN-MODESTO_SN&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=8&transmission=Manual&default_sort=distance&max_mileage=&color=&address=95835&sort_type=distance&max_price=&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=476&standard=false

llll1l1ll
07-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Looks nice. They want 18,500 for it. Too bad I'm so far away. Shipping costs would outweigh the actual purchasing of the vehicle, as it is probably a dealer and I would have to pay some taxes on that thing for both CA and MD.

It would only take me a day and 19 hours to drive it to my place, though!

aurelius
07-07-2011, 05:53 AM
...it is probably a dealer and I would have to pay some taxes on that thing for both CA and MD.

CA really screws itself that way. Or at least its car dealers. Last I looked into it, when buying from a dealer, an out of state buyer owes CA tax unless the car is shipped out of state.

Seems like there might be a way to get the tax back from CA once the car is reg'd in another state. Anyone know?

Marcus-SanDiego
07-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Mark, in 2006 I bought a BMW from a California dealership. I was a resident of another state. To get around the sales tax issue, I had the Northern California dealer drive the vehicle to a border town in Nevada. I took possession there. No CA sales tax.

Because I did it that way, I am not sure if there is a way to get CA sales tax back once you've registered in your state.

BimmerRules!
07-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Looks nice. They want 18,500 for it. Too bad I'm so far away. Shipping costs would outweigh the actual purchasing of the vehicle, as it is probably a dealer and I would have to pay some taxes on that thing for both CA and MD.

It would only take me a day and 19 hours to drive it to my place, though!

Did you call them to obtain the price? If yes, did you sense any room adjusting the price? Thanks!

llll1l1ll
07-07-2011, 06:36 AM
No, I just simply looked at the bottom of the ad. It's listed in the description.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-07-2011, 08:00 AM
That's a good price. My only hesitation is buying it from one of those dealers. I happen to know exactly where this dealership is. It's one of those lots where there are about 60 cars or so. There are a hodge podge of makes on the lot. They don't know much about the cars they sell and it's difficult to get answers about previous work on the car, etc. Also, I simply have a skeptical feeling about those dealers that set up shop on Mission Gorge (there are about 3-4 of them along that street -- not counting some of the more traditional Toyota dealers that are near there, too).

Understand that my position is based, in good part, on gut. I have never done business with any of these lots.

therealm3
07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I hear ya Marcus and I would be hesitant too. But I did buy my second BMW from a "questionable" used car lot and it turned out to be a great car. It was exactly the build and color combo I wanted so I took a chance. Flip side of that is I bought an M3 from a CCA member and service manager at a dealership and that car was a constant problem with hidden issues. We unloaded it after a few frustrating years. So, sometimes you just never know.

As far as out of state goes, my only experience has been bringing a car into CA and that wasn't a problem. Just paid taxes here.

BimmerRules!
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I hear ya Marcus and I would be hesitant too. But I did buy my second BMW from a "questionable" used car lot and it turned out to be a great car. It was exactly the build and color combo I wanted so I took a chance. Flip side of that is I bought an M3 from a CCA member and service manager at a dealership and that car was a constant problem with hidden issues. We unloaded it after a few frustrating years. So, sometimes you just never know.

As far as out of state goes, my only experience has been bringing a car into CA and that wasn't a problem. Just paid taxes here.

Thank you both for the color.

BimmerRules!
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
No, I just simply looked at the bottom of the ad. It's listed in the description.

Oops! I saw no price listed in the left link of autotrader and assumed I need to call. Thanks!

llll1l1ll
07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Haha no worries I almost did the same thing.

Mike V
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
This car looks exactly like mine did. My old 2005 Imola/Gray 6spd is the only 2005 zhp in the registry with that color combo, so it's weird to see this one pop up.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2011, 04:44 PM
I live in San Diego. So I've been researching this.

The selling dealer has an "F" BBB Rating:
http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/business-reviews/auto-dealers-used-cars/san-diego-auto-gallery-in-san-diego-ca-171987771/

...and some Union Tribune article in 2007 wrote of some business called the "Auto Gallery of San Diego" (same name as who is selling this--though I can't confirm the address) being sued by multiple buyers who bought wrecked cars. Same place?
http://www.10news.com/news/11015612/detail.html

The chance of a manual ZHP with low mileage being sold in my own backyard seems very rare--but this seems like a lot of "smoke" to ignore.

It sounds like they also don't actually have the car "in hand" either...for whatever reason.

I *still* might see this thing at whatever point it's actually 'on location' but no way I'm going down there without a gearhead to go over the thing with me. The cruising-by-at-lunch on my own idea is off the table. At this dealer and with this reputation (and price of this car+low mileage) would assume SOMETHING is up...

Marcus-SanDiego
07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Tom, I'd pass on this one. Too much smoke.

Still, if you really are interested, then hire Shane Nguyen to go down with you. He owns Euro Auto Spot (off Miramar Road).