PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Snitch hits the market.

danewilson77
07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I know many of you were invlolved with the thread regarding this product. I don't remember any news saying it was available for sale. Well....it is.

http://www.zhpregistry.net/Tech/CoolantSnitch.aspx

Peace.

mimalmo
07-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Installation directions look pretty good too.

static667
07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Sweet. I'm putting that on my wish list. When they come out with one for my DME version, I'm on it.

zhpnsnv
07-10-2011, 01:03 PM
So this better than a water/coolant temperature gauge because the readout is in the dash and because it warns you when it gets to a certain temperature?

Hornung418
07-10-2011, 01:22 PM
So this better than a water/coolant temperature gauge because the readout is in the dash and because it warns you when it gets to a certain temperature?

IIRC, the temp guage is on a delay. And doesn't change position if the temperature is w/in the parameters.

I could see this more for track use than a DD...but it definiely looks like a solid product!

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

zhpnsnv
07-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I meant an actual gauge and not the stock one - one that actually tells you temperature.

MasterC17
07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Basically, the device is constantly monitoring coolant temperature in the block (same as the ECU monitors) and when it almost reaches the point of the factory gauge moving it will 'sound the alarm' and warn you. The benefit to this is that even if the car starts overheating very quickly, you will know right away as opposed to knowing in a delayed manner from the stock temp. Gauge or just not noticing it. It's basically an overheating fail-safe. I purchased one a few months ago and have been running it since with absolutely no issues. Install is easy (takes about 30 minutes) and there's a way to test to make sure it's working. I've thought long and hard about it and it just wouldn't be easy to install an aftermarket gauge. Also, this is hidden so it still looks factory which is nice. For the $85 to save your $3500 engine I think it's a worthwhile investment.

ZHPRegistry.net
07-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Installation directions look pretty good too.
Pretty much all credit should go to a fellow member on this forum (MasterC17) who was kind enough to not only document his work step by step but also allow me to use it as basis for the instructions.

Sweet. I'm putting that on my wish list. When they come out with one for my DME version, I'm on it.
MS43 testing is nearing completion, should have positive results in the next week or two.

The temp readout is part of the car's dash, this device does not add digital readouts, it is simply an alarm so that the driver notices that something is not normal. Given the unusual rate at which E46 owners have overheated the car, advance warning seems appropriate.

billschusteriv
07-11-2011, 09:15 AM
MS43 testing is nearing completion, should have positive results in the next week or two.

Looking forward to the results.

DME: MS43, Model: E46 325Xi, Production: All

az3579
07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm wondering if one would be able to hear that beeping with the windows down at the track. I think I'd have a hard time hearing it with all the wind noise, nevermind if I get an aftermarket exhaust. Haven't heard it in person; can anyone attest to just how loud it is at about 100mph, windows down, revving about 6k??? (Could someone please test it? lol)

danewilson77
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Why the windows down?

ZHPRegistry.net
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
The buzzer is rated at 87dB. A typical fire alarm in a house is 85dB. Those commercial alarms that feel like somebody drills you through the head are rates at ~97dB.

I'm wondering if one would be able to hear that beeping with the windows down at the track. I think I'd have a hard time hearing it with all the wind noise, nevermind if I get an aftermarket exhaust. Haven't heard it in person; can anyone attest to just how loud it is at about 100mph, windows down, revving about 6k??? (Could someone please test it? lol)

az3579
07-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Why the windows down?

Safety requirements. They will not allow you onto the track with rolled up windows.

danewilson77
07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Safety requirements. They will not allow you onto the track with rolled up windows.

Ok....splain please.

Mr Paul
07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok....splain please.

So if you crash and your windows break there won't be broken glass flying around the cockpit.

danewilson77
07-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Oh...ok....so all the windows have to be down. In BP's sig...it looks like only the fronts are down.

mimalmo
07-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Also quicker and easier to get you out of the car in the event of a crash.

az3579
07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Oh...ok....so all the windows have to be down. In BP's sig...it looks like only the fronts are down.

Only the fronts have to be down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RSPDiver
07-18-2011, 07:13 PM

A gauge would be great, if you pay attention to it. I've seen them mounted in the cubby below the stereo/env controls, but on the dash is more visible. The problem with the dash one is that it's buffered, so just an indicator vs. a gauge. Ideally, the dash indicator could be modified to be a gauge, but this is a great substitute, and sounds way easier, and is much cheaper, than the gauge pod the Z Leather guys sell/sold.

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 03:24 AM
Anyone buy this yet?

kayger12
09-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Anyone buy this yet?

Thought about it. Never pulled the hook.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Scorpius
09-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Just a consumers thought....this sounds wonderful, but i for one do not like to tap into any electrical lines and i have an electrical background so i know for fact i'm doing my splices correctly (dont use t-taps). When you splice, you introduce new failure points for the average joe. I would suggest plug and play and perhaps a feed back into nav screen to introduce a new menu item to display this temp and the tone being sent through the speakers of the car (could be done with or without nav). This might raise the price some, but if all i needed to do was plug and play and it hit my nav screen, i'd easily get it. Add display on nav for oil temp and you got a buyer at $150-200.

jreyes19
09-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Just a consumers thought....this sounds wonderful, but i for one do not like to tap into any electrical lines and i have an electrical background so i know for fact i'm doing my splices correctly (dont use t-taps). When you splice, you introduce new failure points for the average joe. I would suggest plug and play and perhaps a feed back into nav screen to introduce a new menu item to display this temp and the tone being sent through the speakers of the car (could be done with or without nav). This might raise the price some, but if all i needed to do was plug and play and it hit my nav screen, i'd easily get it. Add display on nav for oil temp and you got a buyer at $150-200.

yes, but from a business point of veiw this does not seem logical in the sense that
they have to map out a completely new consumer market with OEM nav screen and aftermarket Nav screens
they would have to spend more in product development to do this
then make prototypes, and the price would have to be raised much more than currently
making the company's original product seem better due to the lower price

many many more factors come in, but while it may make sense to us as the consumer may not be feesable or logical
for the producer, in that how many E46 owners actually have a nav screen in there car, (i personally dont)
i believe it is a limited market,

the fear you have of tapping cables, should be put to rest because the entire purose is to not open the wire to shortages
you dont need the experience to plug this in if anything there are many member here who would be happy to meet up
with you and help you through it

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 06:17 AM
yes, but from a business point of veiw this does not seem logical in the sense that
they have to map out a completely new consumer market with OEM nav screen and aftermarket Nav screens
they would have to spend more in product development to do this
then make prototypes, and the price would have to be raised much more than currently
making the company's original product seem better due to the lower price

many many more factors come in, but while it may make sense to us as the consumer may not be feesable or logical
for the producer, in that how many E46 owners actually have a nav screen in there car, (i personally dont)
i believe it is a limited market,

the fear you have of tapping cables, should be put to rest because the entire purose is to not open the wire to shortages
you dont need the experience to plug this in if anything there are many member here who would be happy to meet up
with you and help you through it

Also...no nav option....

Scorpius
09-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Also...no nav option....

just a thought ;-) there is always R&D and prototypes, some are just easier than others. I don't know the details but i would imagine it's just a matter of tapping a main bus and sending the right signals. if i recall several years back a site bmwnav.com has all the mappings for the units and some people were doing some pretty amazing things with the nav screens.
The market could be expanded to all bmw makes where nav screens have become common place. What you have is a good start, but what i describe is more the advanced stage where you grow your invention tapping mass market.
As for help, thanks but, i used to work on aircraft electrical where tolerances are way narrower, so i know how to properly splice things in. I typically will add in pin connectors, had to do it for my projector beams.
But even without all the high tech to the nav, should be very easy to simply make it plug and play for very little additional cost.
Seriously, you get oil reading to show up on the display like you have the water temp WOW. i'd want it. Pretty sure that's a signal as well being sent out already.

WOLFN8TR
09-25-2011, 09:37 AM
It would be nice to have something like this for when my wife drives my car. I know for a fact she doesn't monitor the temp gauge as close as I do. Driving my BMW out here in the desert heat makes me constantly look at the temp gauge. For those worried about splicing with T-Taps you could take some extra time and soldier them in properly.

I might invest in one of these real soon...

ZHPRegistry.net
10-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I just came across the later stage of this thread around the the t-tap discussion.

1st off, as the guy behind the CoolantSnitch I certainly am biased so take what I say with a grain of salt.

T-Taps have gained some bad rep mainly as a result of misuse. When they 1st became available, they took the world of pseudo car techs by storm. Talk to any car mechanic and they will tell you the horror stories of nasty wiring under the hood. The biggest problem with t-taps is that they are not weather proof. They should never ever be used under your hood. Now, once you enter the DME box... are no longer under your hood, in fact the air space inside the DME box is fully isolated from the space under the hood, while there is an open passage from the box into the passenger cabin. If you look at the connections BMW uses for the ECU plugs, none of them are weather proof. Additionally, if a given t-tap is not for a given wire size then the chance of weakening the wire at the point of tapping is pretty high. The installation of the device is not idiot proof, it requires some reasonable care, much like a lot of other mods on ones car. To Scorpius' point, a plug and plug solution would have been ideal, no questions here but to jreyes19's point, this is simply lack of economic viability. Plug and play solution would require a bypass for the 52-pin connection to the ECU, male and female. Aside from cost, introducing a "middleman" for the 52 vital wires between the engine and its brain caries too much responsibility. My goal was to bring an affordable solution to a well known problem without going overboard.

Cheers!

redwagon
11-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Bumping to see how many have installed and what they think of it......plus install time. thanks!
Tim

MasterC17
11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I've had it installed for I think around 4 months now. I just switched it to "test" mode, let the car warm up, and it's still working perfectly. Install time is probably around a half-hour to an hour depending on how quick you move. The great part about this is, for less than $100, it removes all the worry and the 'need' to constantly be watching the temperature gauge which you would probably miss anyway. I no longer think about the temp gauge because I know the CoolantSnitch will alert me. In terms of it being audible, it's pretty loud. Unless you like to blare your speakers and annoy all other around you, you'll hear it. In terms of the T-Taps, it's in an 'insulated' environment and they are the correct size for the wire - honestly, don't worry about it - I HIGHLY doubt they would fail or fall off, and I've put a lot of force in every direction on the car - much more than any street car would face (save an accident). Overall, I think for less than $100 this is an investment that is easily worth the money!

danewilson77
11-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I've had it installed for I think around 4 months now. I just switched it to "test" mode, let the car warm up, and it's still working perfectly. Install time is probably around a half-hour to an hour depending on how quick you move. The great part about this is, for less than $100, it removes all the worry and the 'need' to constantly be watching the temperature gauge which you would probably miss anyway. I no longer think about the temp gauge because I know the CoolantSnitch will alert me. In terms of it being audible, it's pretty loud. Unless you like to blare your speakers and annoy all other around you, you'll hear it. In terms of the T-Taps, it's in an 'insulated' environment and they are the correct size for the wire - honestly, don't worry about it - I HIGHLY doubt they would fail or fall off, and I've put a lot of force in every direction on the car - much more than any street car would face (save an accident). Overall, I think for less than $100 this is an investment that is easily worth the money!

Thanks for the review MC.

Did you already place a review in "Product Review" subforum?

If not it would be mucho appreciated, as this will get buried in the thread.

Thanks

DW

redwagon
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks C17, that was exactly what I was looking for.
For the developer, I think its a great market to target and hope he makes some $$.
I'll have to get organized and order one soon........
Tim

Chad44
11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I picked one of these up and will be doing an install video for it soon, it is very simple but quite effective. I just recently had a faint waft of coolant smell and it reminded me to get on top of it! The unit is simple, well designed(and tested) and easy to install... Will post up as soon as I get it installed!

Hornung418
11-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Very cool, Chad! I almost met my fate in traffic with my fan unplugged...Luckily I was having coolant issues prior to my trip, and was very vigilant...saw steaming coming from the front of my car and immediately looked at the coolant gauge and knew exactly what I forgot to plug in...

danewilson77
11-21-2011, 04:53 PM
In for review.

LivesNearCostco
12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Subscribed. Having overheated once due to a bad thermostat--when I failed to notice the temp gauge rise and the red warning light come on--I want a better temp warning. Almost bought gauges with steering column mounting pods from BimmerWorld, but there's nowhere easy to get the coolant temp except maybe put a tap on the upper radiator hose (The Racers Market sells one). Now thinking of the LeatherZ kit but it doesn't do coolant temp. I just read the Coolant Snitch install instructions and it seems like a great solution at a good price that's fairly easy to install.

Sockethead
12-27-2012, 06:14 AM
I just came across this thread... I've been wanting something like this for years...all of the heavy trucks and boats I've driven have alarms for coolant temp, low oil pressure, etc. IDK why cars don't have this feature...

Nivo
12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Logging my car I have noticed that the dash needle reaches the center point at around 169º F.

Car goes to closed loop much earlier depending on many variables.

328ioc
12-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Logging my car I have noticed that the dash needle reaches the center point at around 169º C.

Car goes to closed loop much earlier depending on many variables.

You must mean Fahrenheit....... My car runs at 94 to 96 degrees c once warmed up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Nivo
12-27-2012, 01:38 PM
You must mean Fahrenheit....... My car runs at 94 to 96 degrees c once warmed up.

Thanks, Just corrected it.

328ioc
12-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Just corrected it.

No problem