PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Oil Light

llll1l1ll
07-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this was posted yet or not, but I was wondering if there was any way to reset the oil service light on the ZHP without purchasing a oil light reset tool?

I know, I know. I should have searched. But I didn't. Sorry! :ninja

pleasecorrupt
07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8AF-vuL8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mtnman
07-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Someone put this is the FAQ section, or in Dane's big "everything you need to know" thread. Good info.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Everything you need to know thread would be most appropriate. Dane, if you see this, would you mind moving this to the everything you need to know thread?

danewilson77
07-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Everything you need to know thread would be most appropriate. Dane, if you see this, would you mind moving this to the everything you need to know thread?

Hehe....sure.

danewilson77
07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Added.....#28

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-Preventative-maintenance-Issues-DIY-s

llll1l1ll
07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
D'oh! I knew I should have searched harder. My bad, Mafia!

I'll definitely search harder next time because I know how annoying and cumbersome threads like this can be.

danewilson77
07-12-2011, 09:24 AM
D'oh! I knew I should have searched harder. My bad, Mafia!

I'll definitely search harder next time because I know how annoying and cumbersome threads like this can be.

Family search is the way to go. No worries.

JohnnyGraphic
07-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi All!

Just finished an oil change/inspection I. I tried the reset and it won't work. I've done it in the past and never had an issue.

I am wondering if it is because I went past the "0" mileage? (I am at -1025). Before you all flame me, I changed the air filter and cabin microfilter a while ago but didn't change the oil until now. The previous oil change was 7500 miles ago. :)

So, need the Mafia's help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Johnny

kayger12
07-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Doesn't matter if you go into the negative digits.

Light should reset the same as before.

What procedure are you using for the reset.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

JohnnyGraphic
07-19-2011, 06:23 AM
I used the 'hold down the trip reset button, turn the key to ACC, wait until RESET appears, let go, push again'. I searched on bimmerfest, e46f and bmwtech and all of the procedures were the same.

I'll try it again before I head to work.

Is there a Plan B to do this? (Aside from dealership).

Thanks!!!

spencers
07-19-2011, 07:17 AM
I used the 'hold down the trip reset button, turn the key to ACC, wait until RESET appears, let go, push again'. I searched on bimmerfest, e46f and bmwtech and all of the procedures were the same.

Where you say push again, push and HOLD. That should do it

JohnnyGraphic
07-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Yes, I've tried it that way too. I've tried pushing and holding, holding and pushing, pushing and pushing...

It never gets to the point of resetting the mileage.

Never had this problem before. Getting a little irritated at my car.

Cadeez
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Just did mine and it worked, except for the fact that now it says I don't need an oil change for 15,552 miles... Any way to change that to 4k?

billschusteriv
07-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi All!

Just finished an oil change/inspection I. I tried the reset and it won't work. I've done it in the past and never had an issue.

I am wondering if it is because I went past the "0" mileage? (I am at -1025). Before you all flame me, I changed the air filter and cabin microfilter a while ago but didn't change the oil until now. The previous oil change was 7500 miles ago. :)

So, need the Mafia's help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Johnny

No flaming here Johnny. Going over mileage happens - sometimes a bit more frequently when we're doing 7500-mile oil changes. You should be okay from an additive standpoint anyway (according to the majority of Blackstone Oil Sample results I've seen).

I'll try it again before I head to work.

Is there a Plan B to do this? (Aside from dealership).

Thanks!!!

Yes, I've tried it that way too. I've tried pushing and holding, holding and pushing, pushing and pushing...

It never gets to the point of resetting the mileage.

Never had this problem before. Getting a little irritated at my car.

Hold down the trip reset button
Turn the key to ACC
Wait until RESET appears (about 5 seconds)
Let go (Release trip reset button)
Push and hold again
When RESET flashes, release trip reset and push again - I think...

^^This is close.

I'll check the Bentley publishers manual and let you know. I just did this and had to open the manual.

JohnnyGraphic
07-20-2011, 05:17 PM
No flaming here Johnny. Going over mileage happens - sometimes a bit more frequently when we're doing 7500-mile oil changes. You should be okay from an additive standpoint anyway (according to the majority of Blackstone Oil Sample results I've seen).

Hold down the trip reset button
Turn the key to ACC
Wait until RESET appears (about 5 seconds)
Let go (Release trip reset button)
Push and hold again
When RESET flashes, release trip reset and push again - I think...

^^This is close.

I'll check the Bentley publishers manual and let you know. I just did this and had to open the manual.

Bill-

This is what did it! I was missing the last final push. Either I was holding it down too long and or missed that third push. Don't know why I couldn't figure it out. It was giving me major pain!!!

Anyway, thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!

And my apologies to Cadeez for the trip reset...:)

Johnny

das boots
09-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I just got my ZHP. And I changed my oil and filter. I tried to follow the procedure. I pushed in and HOLD the reset button. Nothing. NO nothing showing up on the cluster. I couldn't even go to phase 2 by turning the key to ACC. What is wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Also, along this line, I couldn't even do a trip reset. Do I have a screwed up cluster? Thanks.

Mtnman
09-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Dunno? Maybe you do. I ddid exactly the proceddure 3 weeks ago and all worked as it should. Interesting

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 03:28 AM
I just got my ZHP. And I changed my oil and filter. I tried to follow the procedure. I pushed in and HOLD the reset button. Nothing. NO nothing showing up on the cluster. I couldn't even go to phase 2 by turning the key to ACC. What is wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Also, along this line, I couldn't even do a trip reset. Do I have a screwed up cluster? Thanks.

Are you able to set time, and reset trip odo?

das boots
09-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Are you able to set time, and reset trip odo?

Negative.

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Negative.

Your knobs are broken, most likely due to shotty cluster removal.

jreyes19
09-23-2011, 05:44 AM
:( sorry to hear
looks like (as dane stated) your knobs broke

i believe they sell replacements with the area where it usually breaks made from metal
but they arent necessarilly cheap

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 06:20 AM
:( sorry to hear
looks like (as dane stated) your knobs broke

i believe they sell replacements with the area where it usually breaks made from metal
but they arent necessarilly cheap

I would like the "they" link please.

jreyes19
09-23-2011, 06:53 AM
sorry looked back and i believe he had them custom made, no one carries them :facepalm sorry

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=719606&highlight=cluster+repair

http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_Clock.htm

i found this DIYs to maybe make up for my misinformation sorry

EDIT: here is the link i saw them in

If you like contact him, it looks like no one bought them, if not ask hime where he got it made
(i messaged him to see where he got his made, and how much he paid)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=868954&highlight=had+these+made

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 07:16 AM
sorry looked back and i believe he had them custom made, no one carries them :facepalm sorry

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=719606&highlight=cluster+repair

http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_Clock.htm

i found this DIYs to maybe make up for my misinformation sorry

EDIT: here is the link i saw them in

If you like contact him, it looks like no one bought them, if not ask hime where he got it made
(i messaged him to see where he got his made, and how much he paid)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=868954&highlight=had+these+made

No worries. I had seen the repair link for the DIY's before....and was excited when you said someone was selling this stuff. Even though both my knobs are good.

jreyes19
09-23-2011, 07:25 AM
No worries. I had seen the repair link for the DIY's before....and was excited when you said someone was selling this stuff. Even though both my knobs are good.

well the guy is selling his, if you click the 3rd link i posted in the edit (i dont think any bought it)
i messaged him to see where his was done so others can do it as well

das boots
09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
JR..PMed you for information for the reset knob. Thanks. I am really up sh%# creek...I didn't know the knobs are crap....or was handled with a heavy hand.

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 09:07 AM
JR..PMed you for information for the reset knob. Thanks. I am really up sh%# creek...I didn't know the knobs are crap....or was handled with a heavy hand.

I would be interested in knowing why the cluster was taken apart?

Oli77
09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
While on the subject,

I reset my oil service meter a couple of weeks ago. After doing this, when I start the car the OBC displays mileage to the next "Maintenance" when I am pretty sure it used to display mileage to the next "oil service".

I have read in several places that both functions (maintenance and oil service) can be reset. How do I get back to displaying next oils service?

das boots
09-23-2011, 05:36 PM
I would be interested in knowing why the cluster was taken apart?

Any way to find out when I have the cluster out? Or anything I should be looking for? Is there a thread somewhere on procedure on cluster removal and things to pay attention to aside from JReyes' links?

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Any way to find out when I have the cluster out? Or anything I should be looking for? Is there a thread somewhere on procedure on cluster removal and things to pay attention to aside from JReyes' links?

Just remove the three torx screws located in the top, and then slide it out far enough to allow you to unclip both harnesses.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Got it....Thanks. Waiting to order a reset knob from JReyes was refering to....and as you asked before, what other things are the PO need to get inside the cluster?

Oli77
09-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Video I followed to remove and open my cluster when i did this mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuZDDAtm2I

das boots
09-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Perfect. Thanks.

das boots
10-04-2011, 03:30 PM
A follow-up to my dysfunctional oil reset. I was finally able to open up the cluster. Easier than the E30 cluster removal. The reset knobs were installed wrong by PO. As can be seen on the photos. The knobs still have the hook intact for contact. It is the rear that are suppose to seat on the back that was not properly seated. The knobs are like pigs dick or pig tails. Which are plastic spring loaded. Re-bend to make them as straight as I could without breaking them. Take your pick. We call them broke dick. I was gonna do a DIY on the knob repair, but it did not go too far since the hooks were still intact. So, for everybody's note, I have two hooks that was purposely manufactured for knob repair if anybody would need them in the future. Thank you for viewing and for everybody's help on solving this. And it is a cluster F%$#. Know wnat I mean????

danewilson77
10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah...the guy before you did not assemble peoperly....fo sho.