PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

Hermes
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
so I changed mine out today (61K on my car), went with the NGK BKR6EQUP because the Bosch FGR7DQP seem to have a smaller center point and I thought they might work out better. I could have got the OE ones with the BMW stamp on them from the dealer for $15 but I dont care that much so I just got them from the parts store for $9.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/IMG_1171.jpg

weird thing I realized when I was done... whoever put my car together at the factory didn't seem to be real consistent when installing the plugs. I had 2 NGK's and 4 Bosch's

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/IMG_1173.jpg

az3579
07-13-2011, 06:04 PM
The only way I could see two spark plugs being different possible is if a PO replaced two of them for whatever reason, or they were replaced under warranty when the car was relatively new and they didn't have that same part # available at the time...

HokieZHP
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Is there any difference with using different brands of spark plugs? I don't know much about spark plugs...

danewilson77
07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Should use bkr6equp. Should use all the same.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nk_zhp
07-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Believe it or not there is, even though it's such a basic item. The electrical characteristics of the plugs can slightly vary between brands. Additionally the actual geometry of the electrodes can make slight differences in the spark timing relative to when the firing voltage is applied to the plug. The problem with mixing them together is that the engine adjusts spark timing across all cylinders as a whole and not by individual cylinder, so it will have to use the best common denominator which might not be as effective as having the same brand across all. All this is a bit academic though, honestly, I don't know if you would see a "real" difference if you had the car on a dyno.

Hermes
07-15-2011, 09:36 PM
my thoughts exactly when I pulled them out, was surprised to see both OE kinds of plugs

das boots
09-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Bringing back an oldie. I have my plugs ready. I noticed that there is a cover that goes back to the firewall. Would replacing the plugs way in the back reacheable? I still have not removed the cover so I still have not seen the accesability of the plugs in the back.....any problems there? Thanks

Hermes
09-23-2011, 06:29 PM
The microfilter housing? It just has a few torx that hold it in. No prob after that

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Bringing back an oldie. I have my plugs ready. I noticed that there is a cover that goes back to the firewall. Would replacing the plugs way in the back reacheable? I still have not removed the cover so I still have not seen the accesability of the plugs in the back.....any problems there? Thanks

Look for the DIY in my stickied section.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
09-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Speaking of Microfilter Housing, anybody have the P/N for this? Never mind..I found it as Windshield Cowl. The leading edge of the housing to the winshield is all worn down by the sun.

Scorpius
09-24-2011, 04:34 AM
I prefer the Bosch iridium plugs. They've been good to me thus far and are perfect in color when coming out. BMW calls to replace every 100k, I've actually replaced mine at 80k. Seems to be about the magic spot.

das boots
09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Finally got my spark plugs replaced. NGKs.

Hermes
10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
going back to this... Does anybody know the part # for the equivalent Laser Iridium? stopped at Pep Boys earlier and they only had the Iridiums w/1 sparking point, want to stay w/4 like the BKR6EQUP
- or -
Scorpius, do the Bosch Iridiums have 1 or 4 sparking points? If 4, what is the part#? thanks

Jorge86
11-04-2011, 03:39 PM
pepboys carries nkg spark plugs with same part number as the dealer. its ngk 3199. pepboys price 7.99. dealer quoted me like 22.50 each.exact same ngk part number and 4 point electrode.

Hermes
11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah that sounds about right, I remember paying around $8 when I changed mine (was like $9 after tax)

Scorpius
11-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Scorpius, do the Bosch Iridiums have 1 or 4 sparking points? If 4, what is the part#? thanks

I got them at the local AutoZone auto parts, they have the 4 prongs and a very thin eliment in the middle. they have a rebate on them as well. here is a link.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Spark-Plug/_/N-8gctd?filterByKeyWord=4417&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true