PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore-area DIYers

slowCoupe
07-14-2011, 10:06 AM
For those of us with only one car, DIYs can be intimidating beyond the actual work. If we screw something up, or don't have a tool we thought we wouldn't need, there's no easy way to get to the parts store or worse, the local shop. Not to mention we usually do the work on the weekends.

I'd like to start a thread for Baltimore-area DIYers to connect, share resources, and help each other out if needed. For example, I have a pretty good code scanner and if somebody needed their codes pulled or cleared, I'd be happy to help them out. I also have a small 1-car garage, which is definitely better than nothing if it's the middle of winter. Myself, I'm looking at doing a thermostat replacement in the very near future, but haven't acquired the 32mm slim wrench for the fan nut yet.

So I'm near Aberdeen, NE of Baltimore City. Who else is in the Baltimore area?

M3TA5IN
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm about 45 mins from Aberdeen and 45 mins north of Baltimore on loganville soon. I'm happy to help with whatever even though I'm still learning BMWs. I'm still very mechanical

Hornung418
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I live in Bel Air! But I don't have a fan wrench.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

billschusteriv
07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I live near M3TA5IN - west about 1 hour in Hanover, PA. Up I-795 and MD 30 - 1 hour from B'more.

For now, I've got an oversized 2 car garage and 2 space heaters.

I have a lot of the basic maintenance (metric/some torx) tools, torque wrench, jack & stands, ATV jack (good for dropping trans or diff), MOTIVE power bleeder, e46 & e30 Bentley Publishers manual, e30 O2 sensor socket, decent code reader (in car).

I'm also very mechanical and enjoy attempting unfamiliar maintenance with others.

I also have an excellent indy mechanic that is the sole reason why I can afford to drive both BMWs.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

nickershocker
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I am near Towson, but am not really good for anything other than an extra set of hands and learning more about the e46.

Might need some help already. This might not be the place for this, but I'm having some sporadic idling problems. Sounds like the fix could be anything from the list of: running half a tank of 87, tighten a loose 02 sensor, ICV clean or replace, DISA replace, VANOS rebuild. Don't really know where to start. Your input would be appreciated.

Johnmadd
07-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I am near Towson, but am not really good for anything other than an extra set of hands and learning more about the e46.

Might need some help already. This might not be the place for this, but I'm having some sporadic idling problems. Sounds like the fix could be anything from the list of: running half a tank of 87, tighten a loose 02 sensor, ICV clean or replace, DISA replace, VANOS rebuild. Don't really know where to start. Your input would be appreciated.

Start a thread with this question friend, you will get more answers this way.

nickershocker
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Alright...you've convinced me.

Please go here to help me (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3854-Idling-Problems-Any-easy-way-to-diagnose&p=83044#post83044)

llll1l1ll
07-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I live in Rockville, MD, which is about 50 minutes or so from your area (I think). I have an okay array of tools - plenty for the shadetree mechanic.

kayger12
07-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I have the fan nut wrench. Not quite close enough to drive it, but I'd be willing to ship it. Not sure what it would cost to ship as it's kind of heavy, but I'll look into it if you're interested.

I'm also down in Cape May and Delaware a lot in the summer, so if you're ever going to be around those areas I could always bring it and meet up with you.

telijah
07-15-2011, 10:14 AM
All this fan nut talk, why not just get a 32mm wrench with a long hammer and give it a couple good, swift whacks? Also, I think the nut is reverse-threaded... I've removed clutch fans many times with this method. Other method to hold the pulley is using a long skinny screwdriver and wedge it between to of the pulley bolts to hold it.

kayger12
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
All this fan nut talk, why not just get a 32mm wrench with a long hammer and give it a couple good, swift whacks? Also, I think the nut is reverse-threaded... I've removed clutch fans many times with this method. Other method to hold the pulley is using a long skinny screwdriver and wedge it between to of the pulley bolts to hold it.

Yep- that's what I was offering him- the 32mm slim profile wrench.

I also have the pulley counter holder which he is welcome to as well.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

telijah
07-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Yep- that's what I was offering him- the 32mm slim profile wrench.

I also have the pulley counter holder which he is welcome to as well.

That's what my screwdriver method replaces lol

kayger12
07-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Yeah, to be honest, I think using the counter holder tool is the most difficult method.

Quick shot with the hammer seems to be the easiest with the wedged screw driver not far behind.

M3TA5IN
07-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Be honest with yourself though, the right tools make jobs way easier.

kayger12
07-15-2011, 11:39 AM

That's what I thought, Meta- but I've got to say that trying to get that counter holder in the already limited space occupied by the wrench was awkward.

I personally would use it before the screwdriver, though, for fear of damaging something with the screwdriver. That's the kind of luck I usually have.

telijah
07-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Sorry, trying to find a special tool, that has to be almost blindly lined up and threaded by two bolts does not seem easier than hitting a long wrench with a hammer :) It certainly increases your chances for a smooth and successful job done though.

slowCoupe
07-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Cool, good to see there's a fair number of people within an hour of Baltimore. That was my intent for the thread, for Baltimore-DC (and PA) area DIYers to network.

Regarding the slim 32mm fan-nut wrench, they're sold on Amazon for $20 and free shipping (if you have Prime). So I'll probably be picking one up in the near future. But yes there are several methods.

Newjack
07-18-2011, 05:28 AM
I live in the Kensington area of Maryland, about 45 minutes from baltimore. I've got a pretty wide range of tools (my dads tools) and I am fairly competent in car work.