PDA

View Full Version : stuttering zhp

BADCLOWN
07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
i noticed this a couple thousand miles ago and it went away and the past 1.5 weeks its been back. the car will stutter or feel like its misfiring at low RPMs when giving it throttle. typically starting out in first gear from a stop, or low 2nd gear, and sometimes in low 4-6th gears. it doesnt happen every time but its been happening more and more often the past 1.5 weeks as previously stated.

could my plugs/coil packs need replacing? or could this be a vanos rebuild issue? the car has 97,5xx on it

i know this isnt a DME issue as when i first bought the car i had the 2500-3000 rpm stutter that most people have and had the car flashed and that went away no problem.

VA//M3
07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Stuttering on a e46 can be an array of different things strung together or even things that you wouldn't normally think to check.

Can you tell a bit of engine wise maintenance history?

BADCLOWN
07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
meticulously maintained by the previous owner. although unrelated it has a new cooling fan and alternator recently. the previous owner revamped the entire cooling system (tstat, housing, etc plus the new/upgraded waterpump). i couldnt tell you when plugs or coilpacks were done last

llll1l1ll
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I know it might be moot, but go ahead and check out your intake/vacuum hoses for any leaks. Then start with ignition stuffs. Then move on to heavier diagnostics.

Mtnman
07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
try to determine if it is a set rpm area that this happens in, or a larger range. That might help with identification.

BADCLOWN
07-15-2011, 12:10 PM
its lower RPMs, below 2k always

AzkotikBMW
07-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I had this exact same problem on my car. However, mine started to stutter about 3k RPM's in 3rd gear. I took it into JB Eurotech and they found that 2 of my spark plugs had came loose and were misfiring.

Thats where I would start, check to make sure all of your spark plugs are secure and working properly.

static667
07-16-2011, 02:51 AM
I had this exact same problem on my car. However, mine started to stutter about 3k RPM's in 3rd gear. I took it into JB Eurotech and they found that 2 of my spark plugs had came loose and were misfiring.

Thats where I would start, check to make sure all of your spark plugs are secure and working properly.

Also, pull out a few and look to see if there are any fowled. You may want to replace them while you are there.

kpro
07-16-2011, 05:11 AM
The plugs are due to be replaced at 100k, I would start there since you're pretty much at that mileage. Get NGK BKR6EQUP, mine were around $60 at the parts about a month ago. I changed mine around 86k because the VCG had let oil down into one of the spark plug tubes and Rob was doing my Vanos so it was already apart. I also have that 2500-3000k rpm hesitation, and according to other threads, looks like it could very possibly be the primary oxygen sensor, which is also supposed to be changed at the same time, I just haven't bought one yet.

danewilson77
07-16-2011, 06:39 AM
looks like it could very possibly be the primary oxygen sensor, which is also supposed to be changed at the same time, I just haven't bought one yet.

What is this "Primary O2 sensor"?

AzkotikBMW
07-16-2011, 06:50 AM
I would assume the primary o2 sensor is the "pre-cats" in the headers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

danewilson77
07-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Ok. Yeah....I just changed those out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kpro
07-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Sorry Dane, used honda terminology...Pre-Cat oxygen sensors.

danewilson77
07-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Sorry Dane, used honda terminology...Pre-Cat oxygen sensors.

Thanks Kristen.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

aurelius
07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
OP: you may want to start reading at post #43 within the "Vanos didn't solve it? (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3665-Vanos-didn-t-solve-it/page5)" thread.

Also, at your mileage, +1 on new plugs and pre-cat O2's (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1377-BMW-E46-330i-ZHP-O2-Oxygen-Sensors). Replace the valve cover gasket and the fifteen related nut seals while you're at it.

As for your ignition coils, if your car was built 12/04 or earlier, have a look at post #6 here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120971). A dealership can tell you if yours were replaced.

GreenDragon
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
You may also want to check the age/condition of the Camshaft Position Sensors (one Intake & one Exhaust). A faulty Cam Sensor can cause the vehicle to lose power upon acceleration from a standing or slow rolling stop. The feeling can be described as the the power being cut when accelerating from a stop. From my experience this issue is isolated to below 2000RPM. Occasionally the CPS's do not throw a warning light and can be difficult to detect as the root of the problem. The replacement of the sensors is a relatively easy task and can be completed in less than an hour with no special tools. A helpful "how to" link is below. The sensors run around $50-75 each and can be purchased through most domestic parts stores (Napa, Checker-O'Reilly, etc). OEM prices are closer to $100/ea. Good luck

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46#Camshaft_position_sensors

BADCLOWN
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
sorry for not checking back, been busy.

this past weekend i got the car to throw a check engine light. i left from a dead stop in first and punched it and it stuttered then threw a code and had the very distinct feeling of a misfire and it was CONSTANT any time i tried to accelerate. i was cruising home on the expressway and shut the car off, pulled the key out, restarted the car and the CEL was gone as well as the constant hesitation, so now its back to the prior state mentioned in my first post.

i believe its got to be a spark plug issue or coilpack issue at this point. i checked on the coilpack recall back when i got the car and one of my pre-cat o2 sensors is new as of february or so.

im trying to sell of my m52 e30 at this point (if anyone is interested or looking this car is for them, no bullshit, TRUST ME) and plan on doing a fair amount of maintenance work to the car after it sells. i guess im going to start with plugs and see where that takes me. i appreciate all the responses and input guys, danke.

ELCID86
12-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Hey Clown, what was the issue, do you recall?

WOLFN8TR
12-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Hey Clown, what was the issue, do you recall?

That made me laugh. [emoji2]

johnrando
12-04-2014, 07:04 PM
That made me laugh. [emoji2]

And YOUR response made ME laugh.

OtterEffect
12-04-2014, 09:31 PM
I have this problem as well. It only happens between around 1,800rpm and 2,500 rpm. It occurs primarily in third gear. And is drastically aggravated when it's pouring rain and the engine is under load. I see no visible rmp fluctuations on the tac and despite pulsing, the car responds normally to throttle input. To me, it doesn't feel like a surge of power, rather a loss of power. If any of you have expedience a failed fuel pump, that momentary lapse of power before it fails could be an accurate description for what this "stutter".

I thought it could be a misfire or a fuel filter problem, but why only third gear? and wouldn't a misfire throw a code?

melonz
12-05-2014, 02:26 AM
Hmmm just noticed this on my car as well. Once I hit 3k it is smooth but from 2k or 2.5k it starts to jerk and stutter.

I'm going to replace the plugs next week when I change my windshield cowl so I'll come back and let you guys know if anything changes.

BADCLOWN
12-05-2014, 12:42 PM
it ended up being a bad coil pack...........i ended up replacing all 6 at the same time and had 5 used ones as back ups

BADCLOWN
12-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Hmmm just noticed this on my car as well. Once I hit 3k it is smooth but from 2k or 2.5k it starts to jerk and stutter.

I'm going to replace the plugs next week when I change my windshield cowl so I'll come back and let you guys know if anything changes.

has your car had a DME reflash/update? your symptoms sound like those related to a DME flash being needed. very common with these cars. i had the SAME issue as soon as i purchased my first ZHP, went and had a reflash performed at a certified BMW center and it cleared the 2-2.5k stutter right up

melonz
12-05-2014, 05:34 PM
has your car had a DME reflash/update? your symptoms sound like those related to a DME flash being needed. very common with these cars. i had the SAME issue as soon as i purchased my first ZHP, went and had a reflash performed at a certified BMW center and it cleared the 2-2.5k stutter right up

I haven't done it but I assumed the previous owner flashed it as he did a few high performance driving events with the car and this even bugs me street driving I don't think he would've thought differently. Plus he wasn't one to skimp on the car's maintenance so that somewhat ruled out that a DME flash was not done.

However I will check and see if it has been done. Maybe I'll see if there is someone in the Bay Area who can help me out. Thanks!

ELCID86
12-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Anyone here able to do a DME flash?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

mbeckel
12-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Anyone here able to do a DME flash?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.
I'm going to attempt to do the flash tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes

Sent from in the bushes

ELCID86
12-06-2014, 01:11 PM