PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Water Pump Pulley??

kayger12
07-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Figured I'd throw this up here and see if anyone had some info.

When I ordered my cooling system parts from Autohaus, I noticed that the aluminum water pump pulley that they offer is back ordered.

Did a little digging and discovered that it's been back ordered forever with no indication that they'll be available anytime soon.

Does anyone know of another company that sells aluminum water pump pulleys?

Not interested in the ECS pulley as it is an overdrive pulley, and not too keen on the ebay pulleys either.

Thanks.

ELCID86
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.evosport.com/
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/

I know they have overdrive, not sure about the one you are looking for

Other thread Is had bookmarked: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=850296
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141297

nk_zhp
07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I only know of 3 alum pulley sources: URO (the forever back ordered one), ECS and Ebay. If I was ordering the parts today I would be inclined to go with the OEM Febi one. If you are using the Stewart WP, then the ECS should not be as much of a concern as the pumping efficiency of the Stewart pump is higher then stock so with the ECS pulley you will get that same pumping effect at idle but with less *effort*.

BTW, I've heard less than ideal things about URO, but not about the pulley specifically.

kayger12
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Will check those out, thanks.

Just looking for a stock-size pulley. Not looking for underdrives at this point.

kayger12
07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I only know of 3 alum pulley sources: URO (the forever back ordered one), ECS and Ebay. If I was ordering the parts today I would be inclined to go with the OEM Febi one. If you are using the Stewart WP, then the ECS should not be as much of a concern as the pumping efficiency of the Stewart pump is higher then stock so with the ECS pulley you will get that same pumping effect at idle but with less *effort*.

BTW, I've heard less than ideal things about URO, but not about the pulley specifically.

Appreciate the info.

I ordered the Febi for now just so I have something to put on when I do the job.

If I'm able to track down an aluminum one, I'll pick it up for next time.

MrMaico
07-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Is this the Ebay one you're thinking of Keith?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%2Fdeutschep artsusa%2Fm.html%3F_nkw%3Dbmw%2Be46%2Bpulley%26_sa cat%3D%26_odkw%3D%26_osacat%3D0%26bkBtn%3D%26_trks id%3Dp3911.m270.l1313

Any particular reason you're leery of them? I've been debating picking up a set, WP and steering, but if they are known to have issues maybe I'm better off waiting or going with the stock plastic ones.

Barry

kayger12
07-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Those look like the ones, Barry.

No specific reason. Just always leery of parts sold on ebay and nowhere else.

Pretty sure I'm being unreasonably over cautious.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Hornung418
07-17-2011, 06:06 PM

No...you are well within reason to be cautious. I would go with aluminum...but not from a no-name ebay brand. Based solely on the miles I've put on the M52tu, I've got no complaints with the UnderDrive Pulleys from RE. Quality is superior to OEM and the steering is tighter/crisper.

Good luck with the decision, Keith.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

MsRN
07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
No...you are well within reason to be cautious. I would go with aluminum...but not from a no-name ebay brand. Based solely on the miles I've put on the M52tu, I've got no complaints with the UnderDrive Pulleys from RE. Quality is superior to OEM and the steering is tighter/crisper.

Thanks for that, Barry; I've been struggling with whether to buy the RE pulleys for my upcoming cooling overhaul, and you just made my decision easier. Are RE replacement belts pricey?

Hornung418
07-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for that, Barry; I've been struggling with whether to buy the RE pulleys for my upcoming cooling overhaul, and you just made my decision easier. Are RE replacement belts pricey?

A Contitech belt comes with the pulleys...so I believe its pretty cheap. Just be sure to cross reference...I forgot to check the part number. Oops...lol

p.s. I'm not Barry ;) no worries tho.

MsRN
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
A Contitech belt comes with the pulleys...so I believe its pretty cheap. Just be sure to cross reference...I forgot to check the part number. Oops...lol

p.s. I'm not Barry ;) no worries tho.

Oops...I need to pay better attention to names! Sorry! :(

kayger12
07-18-2011, 12:43 AM

Good info.

Thanks, Horney.

MrMaico
07-18-2011, 12:25 PM

I don't think you can ever be too cautious when dealing with Ebay parts. I did a Google this morning for Hamburg Technic and it sounds like they buy manufacturer rejects/seconds and resell under their name, or they used to anyway. Most of the links were fairly old forum posts though so whether things have changed or not is anyones guess. They do have pretty good Ebay feedback numbers but I'm still leery of them now.

I suppose I could always put the pulleys on a lathe and see how true they are but you'd still have to worry about stress cracking not knowing the quality of the aluminum.

Barry

kayger12
07-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't think you can ever be too cautious when dealing with Ebay parts. I did a Google this morning for Hamburg Technic and it sounds like they buy manufacturer rejects/seconds and resell under their name, or they used to anyway. Most of the links were fairly old forum posts though so whether things have changed or not is anyones guess. They do have pretty good Ebay feedback numbers but I'm still leery of them now.

I suppose I could always put the pulleys on a lathe and see how true they are but you'd still have to worry about stress cracking not knowing the quality of the aluminum.

Barry

Excellent data, Barry.

Thanks!