PDA

View Full Version : BMW Performance Pedals

Hermes
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Just got mine in the mail and was gonna start installing, then realized I need to go pick up a T15 torx. Quick question though... If anybody has installed these already, what size drill bit did you use cause the screws look like a 3mm. 5/32 or 1/8? (will post pics later)

danewilson77
07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
The screws have nuts, correct?

Just take a screw with you to Lowes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah I did, no metric. 5/32 is 3.97mm and 1/8 is 3.18mm. Just wondering what others used

Johal E32
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
just wondering, where did you buy them from?

Hermes
07-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Johal - got it from Tischer, I've only seen like a $5 difference on other sites and I was already ordering some stuff so I just added it on (Pedals (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=755888&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462) and Footrest (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=755889&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462))

Ok so I ended up trying all the sizes starting at 1/8 to see what I could get away with, but you need to use 5/32 to have enough wiggle room when putting them through. The brake pedal is metal with a plastic cover that you just take off. Be real careful when drilling through it cause there's really no room for error. I kinda made a slight mistake and mine is a little off level but I'll deal with buying and installing a new pedal at some point in the future. I also had a problem putting one of the screws into the top corner of the footrest and I'll deal with that tomorrow, I'm just happy to be done with it.

Before
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/IMG_1208.jpg

After
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/IMG_1212.jpg

danewilson77
07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Looks great. How did you like negotiating the lower, right nut on the back side of the gas pedal?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks great, Hermes.

Hermes
07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Thank you, and yes that screw was a bitch. I still have one left on the footrest but I just gave up for tonight

webster
09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
bump

these just arrived today. i put in the //M footrest this afternoon, man that was a bitch. i broke the original one trying to remove it, oh well...

will be drilling the new pedals in sometime this week. in the evening. it's still damn hot outside...

Hermes
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
bump

these just arrived today. i put in the //M footrest this afternoon, man that was a bitcht. i broke the original one trying to remove it, oh well...

will be drilling the new pedals in sometime this week. in the evening. it's still damn hot outside...

All I gotta say is be real careful when you're doing the brake pedal since it's metal, you don't want it slightly askew like mine

Hermes
09-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I also had a problem putting one of the screws into the top corner of the footrest and I'll deal with that tomorrow, I'm just happy to be done with it.

apparently tommorrow became 8 weeks later. It was literally like 15 minutes ago I remembered I was still missing a screw in the corner of the footrest. Still was a bitch to put in, but its done now at least. Also, the other screws were starting to come loose so I tightened them all down.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/P1000431.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/P1000432.jpg

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Gorgeous.

kayger12
09-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Yummy.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

webster
09-16-2011, 07:35 AM
i just returned the performance pedal set and ordered the //M-badged aluminum ones (same one kayger12 has). should be here on monday. not looking forward to the install...from what I gather it's sort of a PITA

kayger12
09-16-2011, 07:42 AM
i just returned the performance pedal set and ordered the //M-badged aluminum ones (same one kayger12 has). should be here on monday. not looking forward to the install...from what I gather it's sort of a PITA

Install is very straight forward.

Just take your time and make sure that everything is lined up properly.

Brake pedal takes a little more time to get through because it's metal.

Took a little patience in a few spots, but nothing crazy.

You'll love them. They look/feel awesome.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Install is very straight forward.

Just take your time and make sure that everything is lined up properly.

Brake pedal takes a little more time to get through because it's metal.

Took a little patience in a few spots, but nothing crazy.

You'll love them. They look/feel awesome.

+1. I used some of those large alligator clips to secure them in place, then drilled the holes, and set the screws. Lemme know how passenger side, lower bolt goes on the gas pedal...lol. there's your only pita.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
so my order for the //M pedals arrived today...missing one brake/clutch pedal entirely, and on the one that did arrive, the rubber piece does not fit the pedal at all (holes do not line up)

i called mod bargains and they asked me to send them pictures in an email and someone would review and get back to me first thing tomorrow morning. i sent them the requested pics, and also asked for them to send me not only the missing pedal but a new rubber piece as well that lines up with the actual pedal. i don't want to be drilling the rubber. we'll see what they say.

at least the pedals are gorgeous!

argh. :|

Mtnman
09-19-2011, 04:53 PM
i used screws for my plastic pedals, and nuts with bolts for my brake. predrilled the gas really small, then screwed into it with large threaded screws (almost sheet metal screws). No issues so far and have put 10k on it since then. just fyi.

danewilson77
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
so my order for the //M pedals arrived today...missing one brake/clutch pedal entirely, and on the one that did arrive, the rubber piece does not fit the pedal at all (holes do not line up)

i called mod bargains and they asked me to send them pictures in an email and someone would review and get back to me first thing tomorrow morning. i sent them the requested pics, and also asked for them to send me not only the missing pedal but a new rubber piece as well that lines up with the actual pedal. i don't want to be drilling the rubber. we'll see what they say.

at least the pedals are gorgeous!

argh. :|

Supposed to pull stock robbers off?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
09-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Not sure I follow. Could you post pics? I installed mine (although I chose not to go with the ///M ones), and it was no problem. The rubber comes off the brake.

EDIT: added pic.
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/SouthBayCities-20110809-00009.jpg

kayger12
09-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Supposed to pull stock robbers off?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I just drilled through the rubber on mine in the one or two spots where they didn't line up.

Edit: I thought he was referring to the rubber backers on the m pedals, not the stock rubber covers on the car pedals.

johnrando
09-19-2011, 05:37 PM
I just drilled through the rubber on mine in the one or two spots where they didn't line up.

Edit: I thought he was referring to the rubber backers on the m pedals, not the stock rubber covers on the car pedals.

Oh, no wonder.

webster
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
i am referring to the rubber inserts that you fit into the spaces in the aluminum pedals. obviously i know you pull the stock rubber covers off lol

i guess really since they're just going between the existing pedal and the aluminum that the hole placement really doesn't matter that much...i am just anal about certain things...

here's what i'm talking about:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2012/20110919184128.jpg

you can see the bottom holes are obstructed where the top ones are totally clear

Hermes
09-19-2011, 06:45 PM

did they send you SMG or Step kit? Weird...

i used screws for my plastic pedals, and nuts with bolts for my brake. predrilled the gas really small, then screwed into it with large threaded screws (almost sheet metal screws.

I'm just gonna say I used the nut/bolts on the pedals, I feel like the footrest/dead pedal still doesn't wanna stick in place right/keeps coming loose. I'm gonna have to grab a new one eventually and re-drill. Guess I used too big of a bit for that part of the install.

i am referring to the rubber inserts that you fit into the spaces in the aluminum pedals. obviously i know you pull the stock rubber covers off lol

i guess really since they're just going between the existing pedal and the aluminum that the hole placement really doesn't matter that much...i am just anal about certain things...

you can see the bottom holes are obstructed where the top ones are totally clear

Weird... Mine were totally clean

johnrando
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Yup, just drill through them.

webster
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
did they send you SMG or Step kit? Weird...

nope, they sent me the manual trans kit minus one pedal. the instructions and order sheet both indicated a 3 pedal set.

Hermes
09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Weird... Were they shrink wrapped or just loose in a box?

webster
09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
not shrink wrapped, they were individually wrapped in a flat box...

kayger12
09-21-2011, 02:44 AM

Yep, that's how mine were as well.

Just drill right through it.

danewilson77
09-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Drilling the 2 bottom holes, all the way through, would have raised the price.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Drilling the 2 bottom holes, all the way through, would have raised the price.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

:rofl

webster
10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
ok so bout to tackle this little DIY, got everything together finally and an afternoon with nothin else to do. will report back w/ pics

Hermes
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
One thing, look up a sprint booster install, it will help with the gas pedal. There is one bolt that is a huge PITA

webster
10-18-2011, 02:02 PM
well as usual, a seemingly simple DIY has become exasperatingly frustrating. lol. i got the clutch pedal on okay, i guess. moved on to the brake pedal and i simply cannot get my drill bit to go through the brake pedal. maybe i need to buy better bits? maybe a better drill altogether? it seems like there's just not enough power to get through the metal. drill i'm using is a ryobi 12v. more money to spend i suppose...

argh. im now charging my other battery since the first one for the drill died after like 5 mins straight of working on the first hole on the brake pedal.

another problem i'm having is the drill bit size. it seems the lower holes on the brake/clutch pedals are smaller than the top ones. so i'm starting out at 1/8" and moving up to 9/64" (the 5/32" is WAY too big). i think this is because...another problem i seem to encounter is all the DIYs out there are for the BMW performance pedals (the one hermes installed in the OP of this thread). well, im trying to install the //M pedals which do not use Torx T-15 screws, so i'm wondering if the screws that DID come with my pack are different sizes and as a result the holes are diff sizes...

another problem i'm having is tightening the nuts on the back of the screws. they are really small and hard to tighten, especially since i cannot see them since they are on the backside of the pedals...

haven't even gotten to the gas pedal yet...

moments like these i have to remind myself that i am an easily frustrated person and i need patience and calm

kayger12
10-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Hang in there Web.

A bit made for drilling through metal will help.

I installed those pedals and just eyeballed the hole diameter.

See if you can get a small socket (like if you have a 1/4" ratchet) on those nuts. Will make it a lot easier to tighten.

I just went out and checked. A 6mm should do the trick.

Like this.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-10-18_18-13-46_225.jpg

johnrando
10-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Yup, drilling through the metal is a PAIN. I almost gave up too, but keep at it. It will get through, especially if you have a bit specific for metal. Just charge that drill up and be patient. The brake is the hardest one, the rest are easy.

danewilson77
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Gas pedal is going to piss you off. Tape is your friend.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I have metal bits, your drill should be good enough, maybe just turn up the torque on it

kayger12
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Gas pedal is going to piss you off. Tape is your friend.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I was lucky there. I had zero problems with the gas pedal.

johnrando
10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I was lucky there. I had zero problems with the gas pedal.

+1

Hermes
10-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I think what DW means is that the nut/bolt in the bottom right corner is not easy to tighten all the way because of where it is. If you take the pedal off completely (like when you're installing a SB) it makes it much easier to put on.

BTW, these are the bits I have. I think the set cost me about $8-10 at Home Depot

http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/000/926/359/trimmed/926774_1511359_trimmed.jpg

webster
10-18-2011, 06:58 PM
got the brake pedal on before losing daylight. just had to keep chugging along with that dinky drill. gonna charge both batteries up overnight and finish off the gas pedal tomorrow. even having just the brake/clutch pedals done though...looks f'in sexy! love these pedals.

thanks for the advice and encouragement, all. i think the 6mm socket will help big time.

johnrando
10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
got the brake pedal on before losing daylight. just had to keep chugging along with that dinky drill. gonna charge both batteries up overnight and finish off the gas pedal tomorrow. even having just the brake/clutch pedals done though...looks f'in sexy! love these pedals.

thanks for the advice and encouragement, all. i think the 6mm socket will help big time.

Sweet!

zj96sc
10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
The drill is not the problem, I can almost guarantee it...unless something is functionally wrong with it. You could probably drill a 9/64" hole in essentially sheet metal with a hand drill with the right bits and technique.

Drill bit quality is the differentiator, keep the speed low, and you need to apply a good amount of pressure. You're done now but I would've recommended you just wedge a 2x4 behind the pedal and lean in on it. You can also use a good hammer and center punch to help locate the bit head and provide a little bit of a "key" for the bit to start working on. Cutting oil helps too, but for the dimensions and metal thickness we're talking here its not really applicable. No matter what, I'm confident you should've been able to drill those 4 holes in about 5 minutes including getting the drill out.

These pedals look great but be forewarned - I had an acs set in my 2nd M3 that were completely worn through the rubber from the PO after maybe 20-30k. Once the rubber is worn off they're slicker n snot and downright dangerous. I couldn't find "refills" anywhere short of buying a whole nother set so I removed them in favor of friction tape.

webster
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
finally done! DW, you weren't kidding about that lower right accelerator nut. Holy man-dolphins of the Utah state tax commission! even with the harness totally removed it took me 30 mins and probably 100+ tries of getting that little nut to sit and spin. i am wary of the rubber wearing down but 20k is at least 2.5-3 years of driving and after that i can deal with it. here is my low light, low quality pic just after finishing.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/2011-10-19193218.jpg

danewilson77
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Webby....just so you know...I have had my sport pedals for 30k miles and the rubber looks brand new.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Nice work Web.

Looks great.

johnrando
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice work Web.

Looks great.

+1. Congrats on getting it done.

jreyes19
10-19-2011, 05:39 PM
congrats take final pictures would love to see how they look :)

webster
10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
thanks guys :)

this one was well earned. through all this i forgot to mention the constant bombardment of mosquitoes. i mean total swarming. i must have at least a dozen bites all over. can't wait for some cooler weather to kill these bastards off.

danewilson77
10-20-2011, 03:40 AM
thanks guys :)

this one was well earned. through all this i forgot to mention the constant bombardment of mosquitoes. i mean total swarming. i must have at least a dozen bites all over. can't wait for some cooler weather to kill these bastards off.

Yes...they are bastards...I agree.

webster
10-21-2011, 08:47 AM
better pic...loving them so far!

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/wtolson/ZHP%20Pics/2011-10-21112522.jpg

danewilson77
10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
:drool

kayger12
10-21-2011, 10:54 AM
:like

quikryptonite
10-27-2011, 09:33 AM
They look like a nice package for someone like me on a budget for my mods. Maybe I will ask for them for Christmas.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/ECS_BilletAuminum_Pedals/ES250988/

Maybe this is the same set zj96 was referring to above? If they aren't good for the long haul, I'll look elsewhere.

Hermes
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
They look like a nice package for someone like me on a budget for my mods. Maybe I will ask for them for Christmas.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/ECS_BilletAuminum_Pedals/ES250988/

Maybe this is the same set zj96 was referring to above? If they aren't good for the long haul, I'll look elsewhere.

Just my opinion from the pic but those nubs look stick on, I dunno. I would just save up for the better quality ones with a rubber backing piece that comes through holes in the aluminum. They're only about double that price but worth it

webster
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
FYI the //M pedals i got were $54.99 without the dead pedal from mod bargains. with the dead pedal it's $74.99. that's still cheaper than the ECS pedal set you linked (and imo look much better)

http://www.modbargains.com/_e/Interior/product/Aluminum_M_logo_pedal_set_for_E46_JS1/Aluminum_M_Pedal_Set_for_BMW_E46_3_Series.htm

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
^Where I got mine as well.

quikryptonite
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
FYI the //M pedals i got were $54.99 without the dead pedal from mod bargains. with the dead pedal it's $74.99. that's still cheaper than the ECS pedal set you linked (and imo look much better)

http://www.modbargains.com/_e/Interior/product/Aluminum_M_logo_pedal_set_for_E46_JS1/Aluminum_M_Pedal_Set_for_BMW_E46_3_Series.htm

Nice, thank you!

kayger12
10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
^Where I got mine as well.

+1

HokieZHP
10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
I was thinking of getting the ///M pedals but was wondering, are there any pedals out there that completely replace the stock pedal so no drilling is required?

Hermes
10-31-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't think so (at least the brake pedal). I think there is a set from the e9X that works for our car and the accelerator is a full replacement but brake is still drilled in

HokieZHP
10-31-2011, 09:01 PM
gotcha looks like the ///M pedals from modbargains is gonna be my choice then.

HokieZHP
11-01-2011, 06:14 AM
From some of the pics I've seen in this thread, it looks like the bolts you used are sticking up out of the pedal. Is this correct? I feel like it would be bothersome to have the tread on my shoe get caught on the bolts all the time.

Secondly, is the dead pedal in webster's picture an m3 dead pedal? Is that the one that is the entire assembly instead of just a bolt on piece?

johnrando
11-01-2011, 06:35 AM
The screws in mine are flush, so no issues. Not sure about your other question.

webster
11-01-2011, 06:54 AM
From some of the pics I've seen in this thread, it looks like the bolts you used are sticking up out of the pedal. Is this correct? I feel like it would be bothersome to have the tread on my shoe get caught on the bolts all the time.

Secondly, is the dead pedal in webster's picture an m3 dead pedal? Is that the one that is the entire assembly instead of just a bolt on piece?

the screws do stick out the back of the pedals. i too thought this might interfere somehow (get caught on the top of my shoe during shifting, for instance) but it has yet to affect me at all. i simply never move my feet under or behind the pedals. the only way this might happen is if i was on the highway using cruise control and stretching my legs out under the footwell. but that is a pretty rare situation.

the dead pedal in my car is the //M3 pedal. i got it from ECS for $50 or so. i like it better than the aluminum one that matches the rest of the pedals, but that's just me. it replaces the stock dead pedal entirely, meaning you have to unscrew and remove the original (also remove and transfer the trunk button). slight pita, took me about 20 minutes of fiddling with it to finally get it out and the new one in.

kayger12
11-01-2011, 07:49 AM
My bolts sit flush, but they do stick out from the bottom, and I have hooked my left shoe lace on them once or twice.

I've also gotten a nice scrape on the top of my foot dragging it across the bottom of the clutch pedal when driving barefoot.

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Mine are flush, with nuts in the back. (Easy....)

Hermes
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I was just thinking, you can prob get some kind of rubber washer type thing from the hardware store to cover up the back end of the bolt so there won't be an issue with the back side of the pedal (?)

HokieZHP
11-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Has anyone considered tapping the pedal to eliminate the nuts? I have a lot of small hardware from my RC hobby that are short countersunk screws and have several tap sets. Just wondering if this would be possible or not. Since I don't have a set in front of me I can't really evaluate it.

Hermes
11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
The plastic ones would probably work but I don't recommend it for the metal brake pedal, you want that one to be secure as hell

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 02:18 PM
The plastic ones would probably work but I don't recommend it for the metal brake pedal, you want that one to be secure as hell

What plastic ones?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Plastic pedals (accelerator, clutch and dead pedal)

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Plastic pedals (accelerator, clutch and dead pedal)

Yeah...copy....but what about them?

Hermes
11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
See post 70, I was responding to that

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
See post 70, I was responding to that

Oh yeah....tapping the plastic foot pedals to eliminate the nuts....imho....wouldn't be the right choice here.

HokieZHP
11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah just an idea. Forgot they were plastic pedals...probably just stick with the nuts then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah just an idea. Forgot they were plastic pedals...probably just stick with the nuts then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes....stick with da nutz.

Hermes
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm still thinking about the washer idea I said earlier, might have to stop at Home Depot later

Cabrio330
02-03-2012, 07:41 AM
I found this Sprint Booster install video that shows how to remove the entire accelerator (gas) pedal assembly. I may go this route when I install my BMW OEM Performance pedals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9PyJfNvDinQ

johnrando
02-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes, removing the pedal is easy.... just be careful with the clip at the bottom as I broke mine (and apparently that's common). It's just an easy pressure down to release. You don't REALLY have to have the clip, but obviously it's safer to have it. The good news is those white brackets are only $7. Ask me how I know. :)

webster
02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
^i broke the clip he's talking about. i didn't replace it. hasn't been an issue at all.