PDA

View Full Version : ICV Clean

echo46
07-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Today I did the icv clean to see if it would solve my rpm fluctuations. The symptoms are not that bad but enough to bother me. Let me tell you something, this job was a bit of a pain in the butt. Got the air box, MAF and upper boot off pretty easy. Thought it was going to be an hour job but that's when things got tough. The geniuses who put the lower boot attachment and lower boot to icv attachment on turned the screws in such a way that it was almost impossible to get off. I then took off the cabin filter housing to get better access. After about an hour of swearing and little turns I got the lower boot and icv off.

The icv was pretty dirty so I took my time and cleaned it over and over with intake cleaner. Reassembly was not as painful. I'm heading out to pick up some sushi and will report back on how she is running.

danewilson77
07-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Awaiting report sir.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

SoarinZHP
07-24-2011, 05:16 PM
^^ Ditto

echo46
07-25-2011, 06:28 AM
The car is definitley running smoother. I'm happy I struggled through and did this clean. In addition I cleaned the throttle body which had a nice amount of filth. The icv was really dirty and after the clean almost looks like new. One question: I see a lot of people used the seafoam creep which cleans and lubricates. I only used the intake cleaner, does the icv need to be lubricated?

Anyway, I will be doing the fuel filter replace naddition to cooling system refresh, rear diff fluid, tranny fluid and CAB replace.

quikryptonite
05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
I'll be replacing the lower intake boot soon and thought I would clean the ICV while I'm down there. Is there any brand of cleaner the Mafia prefers to clean their ICV over another? Intake cleaner vs brake cleaner? Non-chlorinated vs chlorinated? Etc? TIA.

danewilson77
05-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I'll be replacing the lower intake boot soon and thought I would clean the ICV while I'm down there. Is there any brand of cleaner the Mafia prefers to clean their ICV over another? Intake cleaner vs brake cleaner? Non-chlorinated vs chlorinated? Etc? TIA.

I used Gunk carb cleaner.

Sent from a Thunderbolt

Whitexi
05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I should do this to my cousins 325, it idles funky.

webster
05-25-2012, 05:12 PM
i've been thinking about this lately. just as a measure of good practice. and because i want my car to run like new.

Oli77
05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Was pretty dirty when I did mine at ~76K miles. Was yours also black? My symptoms improve by 70-80%

Before and after:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07189.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07190.jpg

ryankokesh
05-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Before you do this, three words: flexible ratchet extensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk