PDA

View Full Version : Tire Experience - What are you running and how do they run?

King
07-25-2011, 08:39 AM
OK - I am new to the site. Just got my ZHP and in a few weeks it is going to need new rear boots.

I have some experience with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions on my previous E46 M3. Good grip, horrible life and once they wore about 10K miles the noise was AWFUL.

Looking for a good all-season with decent life, doesn't have to be a killer high performance tire.

Any thoughts / suggestions / experience?

Thanks

Brian

M0nk3y
07-25-2011, 08:47 AM
I ran hankook venus v4s on my old e46. Had some decent direction tread and it was a 40k tire

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Johal E32
07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
I have Bridsetone re760's on all four corners of my ZHP. Bought the car with them so I'm not sure how long they have been on the car. But they hold the road well, since they are some-what high performance tires on the freeway they are slightly noisy but very reasonable :)

danewilson77
07-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I have the Yokohama AVIDEnvigor. UTQG of 520. All season tire. Economical price. Had them for maybe 10k miles. Very happy thus far.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Audi 0000
07-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I am happy with price and performance of the Sumitomo HtrZ. Tire Rack tested them and a few other tires with the 3 series-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=149

King
07-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys - much appreciated. I will let you know what I end up getting.

Part of me thinks that I should go with a winter and summer set up - I do have a set of 18" M3 wheels - the only thing left from my last car <sad face>
I know that there will be some fitment / offset things to deal with but with spacers etc. I could get it done.

On the other hand - having two sets of rubber has the tendency to raise the wife's eybrow...Need to save that for coil over or big brake kit or CH's.

B

zhpnsnv
07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Pilot SuperSports. Absofrickenlutely awesome. In every way. Except maybe for longevity, eventually. But for now, absofrickenlutely awesome.

danewilson77
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Pilot SuperSports. Absofrickenlutely awesome. In every way. Except maybe for longevity, eventually. But for now, absofrickenlutely awesome.

Price?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Marc, you saying you like these? :biggrin

az3579
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons.
Were brand new and installed on the car when I bought the car. Not my choice. They are abysmal for auto-x. They get reeeeeeeally loud when low on tread (louder than I expected). They're 'OK' for street driving, though with this set I've had really bad luck. The two front were defective, so I had those replaced. Now the two front replacements are also defective. My suspension checks out and alignment is fine. Rears are excessive camber wear on the inside, which is no fault of the tires, but they are much louder than they should be. There is a corner I could take in the E30 at around 60 mph (360-degree exit ramp). I can't take that corner at more than ~52 with this car as the tires start fighting me.

So far, just rolled 30k on this set of tires, and they already need replacing. To me, that's not horrible tire life, but everyone else is saying that's phenomenal. I've never had a "high performance" car like this, so I wouldn't know...

The thing that reeeeeally irked me was that these tires are only rated for 136mph. FAIL. This completely ruined my top speed run plans.

My new set is going to be Continental DWS All Seasons.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I've been running Falken FK-452 tires. Very pleased with them. Previous owners had them on the car when I bought the car. When the two rears wore down, I replaced them with Falken FK-452s again.

brettbimmer
07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
+1 for the Yokohama S. Drives. Have had them on the ZHP for about 20K, and there is still plenty of tread left. They have been to a couple of high performance driving schools, but they still have plenty of tread left. Also have them on an E36 318ti & they have been fantastic there too! That said, they may be a bit more performance-oriented then you are hunting for. Nonetheless, great in dry, wet, interstate, and tar & chip backroads (ie - no tramlining!), and holding up far better than the stock Bridgestones RE040 setup.

BlackNTan
07-26-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm also running Fallen FK-452s and these are also legacies from the previous owner. They're relatively new and they're the top of the line performance model for this brand. I'm surprisingly pleased with them and they compare well with the Michelin Pilot Sports I used to put on my other cars.

bimmeryota
07-26-2011, 05:58 AM
I just got a set of the Hankook ventus v12s for my 19s and I have about 700 miles on them and so far they ride great, are very quiet, have good on road grip. All much better than I thought for the price. I did a lot of research and chose them over the new supersports and saved about $350 on the set. I've had goodyear f1 assymetrics which gripped great but didnt give that great a feel, much noisier, and didn't last long. I've also had PS2s which were awesome in every area except for price and ride quality...

Ryans323i
07-26-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm running Nitto NT850, 225/45/18 square. $100/tire, All-season, 50K mile limited warranty, 30 day money back guarantee, non-directional. This is the review that convinced me to buy the tire, click here. (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1471144-new-nitto-nt850-tire-review.html)

My own review.
I put the Nitto NT850 on my new 18" wheels roughly 8 months/3k miles ago. They were my first 18" wheel and I was expecting a harsh ride compared to my OE 16" wheels. Didn't happen, my ride improved, my handling improved, and the cabin was quiet again. Great for all weather, although I do not drive very often when it snows, but I've heard good things about their winter performance.

My previous 16" wheels were wrapped in General Altimax HP, another $100, high mileage warranty, all-season tire. Absolutely terrible! They didn't handle for poop. After 14k miles the cabin noise started to get loud, and louder, and then so loud I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. They were great in the rain, and through standing water, but that was it.
Prior to the generals I ran 2 sets of Kumho Ecsta ASX, a $100 (can you tell I don't like to spend more than $100/tire? lol), Ultra high performance, 30k mile warranty tire. They were great for the 7-10K miles they lasted me. I did a few auto-x's with one set of the these tires, and the handling was great. They were always quiet. Not the best when it was raining w/ water on the road, and terrible in the snow/ice. They just wore out toooooo quick.

My driving style is "spirited" when I get on curvy back roads, although I do the majority of my driving on the interstate. While driving in Mexico* and hitting speeds of 90-110mph, the Nitto tires were just as quiet and smooth. I no longer Auto-x so I can't say how they'll perform on the track.

I'll be sticking w/ the Nitto NT850 from now on. The performance and handling is comparable to the Kumho Ecsta Asx, but w/ better all season/ all weather comfort, and longer lasting tread.

(*)-Driving in Mexico, because speeds of that excess are illegal in the USA.

M3TA5IN
07-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm running Nitto NT850, 225/45/18 square. $100/tire, All-season, 50K mile limited warranty, 30 day money back guarantee, non-directional. This is the review that convinced me to buy the tire, click here. (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1471144-new-nitto-nt850-tire-review.html)

My own review.
I put the Nitto NT850 on my new 18" wheels roughly 8 months/3k miles ago. They were my first 18" wheel and I was expecting a harsh ride compared to my OE 16" wheels. Didn't happen, my ride improved, my handling improved, and the cabin was quiet again. Great for all weather, although I do not drive very often when it snows, but I've heard good things about their winter performance.

My previous 16" wheels were wrapped in General Altimax HP, another $100, high mileage warranty, all-season tire. Absolutely terrible! They didn't handle for poop. After 14k miles the cabin noise started to get loud, and louder, and then so loud I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. They were great in the rain, and through standing water, but that was it.
Prior to the generals I ran 2 sets of Kumho Ecsta ASX, a $100 (can you tell I don't like to spend more than $100/tire? lol), Ultra high performance, 30k mile warranty tire. They were great for the 7-10K miles they lasted me. I did a few auto-x's with one set of the these tires, and the handling was great. They were always quiet. Not the best when it was raining w/ water on the road, and terrible in the snow/ice. They just wore out toooooo quick.

My driving style is "spirited" when I get on curvy back roads, although I do the majority of my driving on the interstate. While driving in Mexico* and hitting speeds of 90-110mph, the Nitto tires were just as quiet and smooth. I no longer Auto-x so I can't say how they'll perform on the track.

I'll be sticking w/ the Nitto NT850 from now on. The performance and handling is comparable to the Kumho Ecsta Asx, but w/ better all season/ all weather comfort, and longer lasting tread.

(*)-Driving in Mexico, because speeds of that excess are illegal in the USA.

Do those come in an 19" wheel size do you know?

Ryans323i
07-26-2011, 07:51 AM
I found the NT850+ CUV in 19", but it's an ultra high performance tire and the price shoots way up. Sizing chart (http://nt850plus.com/Sizes)

I did a Google shopping search for Nitto NT850 18, and found tires. Then when I typed Nitto NT850 19, I didn't get anything, which leads me to believe they weren't available in 19".

Btw, after a quick search, I'm surprised at how little info I was able to find on the NT850.

M3TA5IN
07-26-2011, 08:16 AM
okie dokie, thanks ryan!

BCS_ZHP
07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm running the Continential DWS all-season. Great rain tire, very good for summer (not excellent), but not so good when we had a little snow. Also, wear is pretty fast. On the recently sold coupe, got a nail in one so replaced both rear tires and then noticed I was at about half tread after only 6.5K miles. Could have just been a bad batch or tire pressure difference as the conv has the exact same tire and 8K miles and they have about 2/3rds tread. Was running the coupe at BMW recommended tire pressures (47/39) and run the convertible at 3 psi below the recommendation (wife said the ride was too harsh at recommended pressures).

Oli77
07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I am using the Hankok Ventus HRII in 205/45/17 square. Tires have a little over 10K miles on them and barely look used. They have started making more and more noise. Grab well in dry or wet, but are absolutely useless in snow.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/hanhh1.ang.jpg

LouT
07-27-2011, 07:21 PM
+1 for the Yokohama S. Drives. Have had them on the ZHP for about 20K, and there is still plenty of tread left.

+1 on the S.drives. I had a set on my 18" RGRs that lasted 19k miles, rotating them every 3k. I've put a set on my rear OEM wheels and have the fronts on order. As of now, the fronts are still AVS ES100s and they don't mix very well with the S.drive rear - tramlines like a son-of-a-gun! As the Yokos on my RGRs are worn out, am looking for something different, maybe.

llll1l1ll
07-28-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't running the Conti DWS. I'm also surprised to read that they wore out so quickly. I might look into those Yokohamas I saw earlier.

danewilson77
07-28-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't running the Conti DWS. I'm also surprised to read that they wore out so quickly. I might look into those Yokohamas I saw earlier.

DWS negatives for me are expense and longevity.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

SC4ME
07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I just installed the Conti DWS all around (replacing Bridgestone re760 on rear and General brand UHP on front). I went with the DWS since I will have to make a lot of trips up into the mountains (Big Bear is a local mountain) to deal with an ailing mom.

After 1,000 miles in 3 days (drove to San Francisco and back to San Diego) I can say:

Quiet ride
increased mileage by about 2 mpg
Slick tires compared to the Bridgestone or General (lots more understeer and I can now break the backend loose with a little throtle, never could do it before).
Have no idea about rain or snow yet. Nor wear.

What I do need is an alignment. My car has been perfect since I bought it almost 5 years and 70,000 miles ago. Now with these new tires, it pulls to the right. I switched the fronts to see if there was some radial bias, but nope, still pulls to the right. AARRGGHH

Anyone know a good and economical place in San Diego for an alignment????

Marcus-SanDiego
07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't mess around with alignments. Clarence Brown in Kearny Mesa.

M0nk3y
07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I just installed the Conti DWS all around (replacing Bridgestone re760 on rear and General brand UHP on front). I went with the DWS since I will have to make a lot of trips up into the mountains (Big Bear is a local mountain) to deal with an ailing mom.

After 1,000 miles in 3 days (drove to San Francisco and back to San Diego) I can say:

Quiet ride
increased mileage by about 2 mpg
Slick tires compared to the Bridgestone or General (lots more understeer and I can now break the backend loose with a little throtle, never could do it before).
Have no idea about rain or snow yet. Nor wear.

What I do need is an alignment. My car has been perfect since I bought it almost 5 years and 70,000 miles ago. Now with these new tires, it pulls to the right. I switched the fronts to see if there was some radial bias, but nope, still pulls to the right. AARRGGHH

Anyone know a good and economical place in San Diego for an alignment????

Good reason why your car may pull is because your alignment was probably done when you have interior wear on the side of the tire. So now mounting new tires that don't have the wear...your alignment will be off until it's adjusted.

Go Horns!
07-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Dealer installed them when I bought the car. Put 7K on them so far and no complaints. Mostly highway miles, but also some spirited back road driving. Plenty of grip for what I'm doing. I haven't driven in the rain much because of the drought-like conditions down here in Texas. I don't really have a comparison for road noise because everything else I ride in is a big SUV.

llll1l1ll
07-29-2011, 03:35 AM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Yeah I was thinking that they might wear out quickly due to their high performance nature. Plus, I've only been looking on Tire Rack, so I'll expand my horizons!

cakM3
07-29-2011, 04:12 AM
I'm running the Continential DWS all-season. Great rain tire, very good for summer (not excellent), but not so good when we had a little snow. Also, wear is pretty fast.

I had a friend run these on his WRX and he was very pleased with them. If I were going to be running all seasons I would have looked at these for my ZHP. I ended up going with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and have been very pleased with them. Since I have a set of "snow" tires in my garage (Firestone WinterForce tires) it made sense to go with the Michelins for my style 135's. These are much improved over the run-flats that I previously had.

For summer performance tires, I know - you are looking for all seasons, these tires are simply awesome. 20 mph cloverleafs and doing 60, these tires are still holding... it's just an incredible feeling, not that I do this all the time but occasionally during spirited driving. In rain, these tires seem to grip well. I haven't hydroplaned once, although I'm driving much slower in adverse weather....don't want to cause any accidents or hurt my ZHP! These tires seem to hold their own very well in wet surfaces.

Pricing, however was much more expensive than the Hankooks that I am using on my ///M. My PSS ran $1200 for the set (the Hankooks ran about half this price for the set). So far these tires seem to wear well. I just clocked over 4k on them so far. I'm sure the rears will wear out but I have lots of tread and think I can go two seasons with my current driving style before I will have to look at replacing the rear set. I would buy these again for my ZHP :thumbsup

SC4ME
07-29-2011, 07:37 AM
I don't mess around with alignments. Clarence Brown in Kearny Mesa.

Thank you Marcus, will have to give them a call. :praise

Marcus-SanDiego
07-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Good luck with that. Let me know if you have any problems.

llll1l1ll
08-02-2011, 04:09 AM
I need to replace the rear tires on my ZHP. Previous owner was running Goodyear All Season F1s all around. I'd rather not waste perfectly good front tires by switching to a new type all around. Does anyone have any thoughts on the F1s? I'm new to this whole "anything larger than 14" wheel" business.

llll1l1ll
08-10-2011, 03:35 AM
Hmm I should probably post up my experience with these Goodyear F1 All Season. Even though one of the front rims is bent (supposedly), these are noisy tires. I plan on replacing the back ones soon, as they are almost toast. Since the fronts have plenty of tread, and I like to keep things uniform, I'll probably get another set of the F1s on the back. Once the backs wear out again, the fronts should be done, too. At that point, I'd like to get the Continental DWS.

Anyway, though, they handle nicely. I did have a bit of a twitch when I hit a puddle at about 72 mph, but the grip came right back. They are just very noisy, haha.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from an E30, so the ZHP is just going to handle and feel better to me regardless of tire setup.

az3579
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Update:

My Pirelli's are finally toast. Cord in the rear at 30k miles, including 3 track days, and about 2-3 autocrosses. Not bad considering those usages.
Otherwise driven very mildly on the street.

Will give a report on the new tires when I get them on Friday (Continental ExtremeContact DWS).

GSEN820
08-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I had KDWs and hated them very much. While the performance is great these tires were really loud on the road.

I switched to Hankooks and do the job really well considering the price. They are really quiet and do what I need them to do on the daily driver.

llll1l1ll
08-11-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm actually about to switch to Hankooks all the way around. They seem like a good tire for the money.

Jlastor
08-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Im running Toyo T1R's. I think they are great. My dad used to have them when the zhp was his, and installed them again (on all four corners) a week before i bought him the car. They have great wet and dry grip, not noisy in my opinion, and the last set lasted about 40k miles.

I have used Toyo in my other cars and have had great results.

az3579
08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Just got Continental DWS' installed, 235/35-18 all around. My goodness, these tires are awesome! Just went out for a spirited drive and where my old tires were squealing (even when new), these new ones not only took it at higher speeds, but didn't make a peep. I love these bad boys and have the feeling that this will be a long and happy relationship...

:hashbrowns

Marcus-SanDiego
08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Congrats, BP.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washburn
08-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Just got Continental DWS' installed, 235/35-18 all around. My goodness, these tires are awesome! Just went out for a spirited drive and where my old tires were squealing (even when new), these new ones not only took it at higher speeds, but didn't make a peep. I love these bad boys and have the feeling that this will be a long and happy relationship...

Getting my DWS in about 2 weeks - can't wait to get rid of the OEM summer Michelin Pilots ... (have 25k on them and they're toast)

SC4ME
08-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Good reason why your car may pull is because your alignment was probably done when you have interior wear on the side of the tire. So now mounting new tires that don't have the wear...your alignment will be off until it's adjusted.

Actually, I have not had the car aligned since I bought it. It has been that good (and I am anal about avoiding potholes, etc). This last set of tires did have uneven wear on the fronts, the right had much more wear on the inside (lots of camber FTW). I'm planning on replacing the struts, CAs and Bushings, sways, etc in the next 20,000 mile before I need tires again. Was hoping I could wait until then. Probably have to bite the bullet and go visit Clarence Brown.

llll1l1ll
08-16-2011, 03:39 AM
After much deliberation, I actually opted for the Continental DWS instead of the Hankook Ventus. Really for piece of mind come colder weather. I'm excited to get rid of these Goodyear F1 A/S tires. They're noisy.

T.Bird
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm glad to hear that other owners are having good experiences with the DWS. I have been planning on buying some for a month or two. I'll probably order next week.

llll1l1ll
08-18-2011, 03:49 AM
My neighbor had a somewhat disappointing experience with the DWS. He said that although they are a fantastic tire, he felt the handling in the rain could have been better. Granted, he was driving a GTi, so his results might be skewed. He mentioned that when he bought his Hyundai, it came with Hankooks. He loves the Hankooks.

billschusteriv
08-18-2011, 04:29 AM

The specs on the DWS looked impressive (Uniform Tire Quality Grading was treadwear of 540, traction of A, temperature of A and 50k mile warranty). I'm looking at 17s @ $138/tire, which I didn't find too be too expensive.

You said your tires don't normally last long though?

Awesome!

Getting my DWS in about 2 weeks - can't wait to get rid of the OEM summer Michelin Pilots ... (have 25k on them and they're toast)

After much deliberation, I actually opted for the Continental DWS instead of the Hankook Ventus. Really for piece of mind come colder weather. I'm excited to get rid of these Goodyear F1 A/S tires. They're noisy.

Well... you gents that already have the DWS's please keep us updated on longevity.

I did note on one of the tire merchant websites that DWS's have those three letters marked on the tires that will wear off as the tire wears. When the 'S' wears off, the tires no longer retain their originally designed handling characteristics in the snow. They claim this happens at around 50% tread wear. I'm interested to see some numbers...

JHiggy
08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Nexen n3000s have been working well on my daily driver for the past 20k. Solid in the rain (living in San Diego mind you); handle well and tread seems to be holding up nicely. Lower cost alternative I suppose but I've been impressed with them. Recommended by a fellow Mafia member.

If living in San Diego, Bear's Tires (www.bearstires.com) in Miramar would be my recommendation as they were referred by the same individual. Approx $225 out the door for two rear tires including install, disposal, etc. I don't believe it was a special/sale; typical cost.

az3579
08-18-2011, 01:13 PM
1 week on my Conti DWS', about 600 miles. I am very impressed. I haven't been able to get these to squeal once despite some heavy cornering. I didn't for a second feel that I was losing grip, though that was probably only at about 85% effort in some corners (haven't had a chance to track them yet). There's only so much one can do on the street... :dunno

I am not at all regretting my purchase, nor do I regret going to a 235 square setup. I cringe at the thought of not having the OEM size in the back (255), but traction is just fine. The only way I could get these to spin at the moment is if I do a hard launch from a standstill; otherwise, I haven't been able to get sideways anywhere yet.

Washburn
08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I will def. post my impressions when i get them - i might wait as long as I can to coincide my next oil change @ the same place/time to save a trip, as i live in the boonies, sort of.

I hope the TR impressions/test stay true with my personal experience...

llll1l1ll
08-19-2011, 03:38 AM
I've driven about 35 miles on the DWS. So far, they are great. Quiet, decent grip and noticeably smoother than the previous (and worn out) Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S. I'll check in come 1K miles from now.

tripod06
08-19-2011, 09:58 AM
what about the Nitto NT 555? any experience with those? i have them on my rears and about to get new ones. i like them but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

llll1l1ll
08-22-2011, 04:01 AM
I've driven about 700 miles on the DWS tires. My gas mileage, for one, has drastically improved. I'm new to the ZHP, so I can't tell you guys much about the handling improvement. The initial turn-in response seems sluggish and not as aggressive as a ultra high performance tire; however, once you start turning the tire holds on. I've heard minimal scrubbing on aggressive and non-aggressive turns. They are so quiet otherwise. They handle just fine in the rain, too. I was bookin' it down I-85 at about 80 mph in some moderate rain with no uncertainty in the tire. I even hit some puddles. Nothing. I was doing about 40 in a torrential downpour. I could have gone much faster, but traffic was not letting me do so. I, obviously, still do not know about the snow yet. Chances are, though, I will seldom drive the car in snow. If people in this area are as bad as they are in the rain, good God almighty I don't even want to think about their snow driving skills.

gr330zhp
08-22-2011, 05:10 AM
I still have my Pilot Sports and would not trade em for anything. They grip like CRAZY, quiet, no odd wear, great in rain and I get great mileage out of them too, for being a directional summer tire (no rotations) Soooooo worth the money! I usually do the ordering of tires for my families cars, and from Goodyears, Pirellis, Dunlops, Yokohamas, Kumhos, Contis, I have yet to find a better tire. :dunno

Sent from my HTC Desire, Like a BOSS!

T.Bird
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
:drool

Gordo_GT
08-28-2011, 09:21 PM
I am running the OEM Michelin Pilot Sports. I took a hard look at the Michelin Super Sport but didn't feel like shelling out $1200+ for the set so I opted for the rear tires only. The fronts still have over 50% tread left. Maybe next time all 4 tires will be worn and I might opt for a different type tire. Can't complain on the performance of the Michelins.

quikryptonite
08-30-2011, 09:55 AM
I have loved my Bridgestone Potenza RE760's. http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Bridgestone%20Potenza%20Re760%20Sport
They are quiet, very responsive on dry roads and have handled well so far in the little rain I have encountered. They will be replaced soon with my Pirelli winter tires. That will be the first time I have driven a rear-wheel drive car with dedicated winter tires. So, we'll see how that goes. I have noticed that the tread doesn't seem to wear as well as the Bridgestone all-season tires I have on my E30. These ultra high performance summer tires are about $40 a pop cheaper than the DWS, but they are no good in wintertime either.

rikdee
09-16-2011, 07:28 AM
2003 325i, no ZSP, auto, 63k, driven by my young daughter.

I recently replaced the stock size 205-55-16 with Continental Extreme Contact DW 225-50-16. Much better look and way better feel; 225 section width seems to be the right footprint for this car given its DD application. I never liked the look or feel of the 205s, just not enough meat at the corners for me. I'm sleeping better now....

echo46
09-16-2011, 07:58 AM
I am running the Bridgeston re760s and find them a bit noisey and wearing prematurely. Otherwise ride quality is good.

Rovert
09-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I've ran Toyo T1S, T1R, and Falken FK452s which were all about the same in feeling and performance. I did notice that when my T1R's were just about on chords, they were very noisy at any speed. All of them took punishment of (20 mins on/20 mins off) low speed, hard braking, hard cornering track usage. Tread wear seemed about the same with all those tires. I would get about 2 to 2.5 summer/fall seasons out of the tires.

Now I'm running Conti DW, yes the Dry/Wet tire. Not the DWS as I have dedicated Dunlop 3D snows. The DW's have been super quiet and have similar feeling as my previous tires. They feel great in the wet but so did my other sets of tires. Very predictable at the limit of asphalt adhesion and easy to feel through the steering wheel with what I need to do in any type of slide scenario. They do not howl when sliding, you can just hear them trying to bite which is a great feeling/sound. Since I've only had these tires since the beginning of this summer I have yet to know what tread life is. But I'm hoping they'd be a bit more from the numbers so I can get max 3 seasons out of the tires.

llll1l1ll
09-19-2011, 04:17 AM
I've driven a couple thousand miles on the DWSs. So far, so good. I need to check pressures all the way around, but the wear has been even. The noise has gone up just a little bit. It may even be my mind playing tricks on me. Plus, my driving style has evolved as I'm getting more and more used to the ZHP. My gas mileage is still outstanding (about 120-140 miles per quarter tank). Well, outstanding compared to my old E30. They are very predictable tires. They feel soft at times, but the handling is still really darn great.

I had an instance where I was driving about 45 or so. Stupid D.C. roads surprised me with a sneak attack pothole out of nowhere. I just simply dodged it like you would strafe an imp in Doom II. I was still doing 45 or so after that. Not a bark from the tires.

webster
09-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Looking at new tires here in a couple months...anyone here have any experience running Nitto Invos? They look great on paper, and have gotten pretty good reviews on the various tire sites. Just looking for someone who's run them on a ZHP...

M3TA5IN
09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Putting hankook V12s on the rear I believe per Danes recommendation.

Will put them on when I get back from Chicago with Audi0000. Ill let you know what I think.

Taking off the Nitto555, they were really good handling, but loud.

llll1l1ll
10-06-2011, 03:56 AM
I finally found where the DWS is on my tire. It's on the actual tread. So far, all of mine are still there. Granted, I don't drive like a maniac all the time. I kind of drive like an old man. I did, though, take some twisties for a while and I got them to squeal. Very predictable tire. I put another 1,000 miles on them. Still lookin' great!

az3579
10-06-2011, 04:15 AM
I finally found where the DWS is on my tire. It's on the actual tread. So far, all of mine are still there. Granted, I don't drive like a maniac all the time. I kind of drive like an old man. I did, though, take some twisties for a while and I got them to squeal. Very predictable tire. I put another 1,000 miles on them. Still lookin' great!

How many miles do you have on that set?

Sent from my Droid Charge.

cakM3
10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I still have my Pilot Sports and would not trade em for anything. They grip like CRAZY, quiet, no odd wear, great in rain and I get great mileage out of them too, for being a directional summer tire (no rotations) Soooooo worth the money! I usually do the ordering of tires for my families cars, and from Goodyears, Pirellis, Dunlops, Yokohamas, Kumhos, Contis, I have yet to find a better tire. :dunno

Sent from my HTC Desire, Like a BOSS!

Have you tried Pilot Super Sports yet?

I ran Pilot Sports on my ///M and got the Super Sports for my ZHP. Love the Super Sports! Grips just as good as the Pilot Sports and is a longer lasting tire.

Gheybe
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Nitto INVO 255/35/18 all around.

Incredible in the rain. Pretty good in the wet. A little slippery.

webster
10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
ok so i've been going back and forth on tires for weeks. think i'm about ready to settle on the Hankook Ventus V12s. they seem like such a great bang for the buck. i really would like to try out some Nitto Invo's or Mich Super Sports but i just can't justify paying $300 more...not when the V12s have gotten such good reviews across the board.

will be putting them on this weekend.

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
ok so i've been going back and forth on tires for weeks. think i'm about ready to settle on the Hankook Ventus V12s. they seem like such a great bang for the buck. i really would like to try out some Nitto Invo's or Mich Super Sports but i just can't justify paying $300 more...not when the V12s have gotten such good reviews across the board.

Had V12's. Loved em.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

RVAzhp
10-06-2011, 07:19 PM
pirelli P-zero nero. love them. not the "sportiest" but for stock wheels, and if you're driving in rain/snow/etc. great price, great traction (had no problems last year when Richmond and hampton roads -Virginia- got covered in snow) and great tread life:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+All+Season&frontTire=24HR80NMSXL&rearTire=535HR8NASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2003&autoModel=330i%20Performance%20Pkg&autoModClar=

i have General Acclaim's on the front of my car as of now because i had an extra one laying around that was practically brand new so i just bought another one when i needed new front tires, but once they wear i'm going with Pirrelli's all around i imagine.

RVAzhp
10-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Update:

My Pirelli's are finally toast. Cord in the rear at 30k miles, including 3 track days, and about 2-3 autocrosses. Not bad considering those usages.
Otherwise driven very mildly on the street.

Will give a report on the new tires when I get them on Friday (Continental ExtremeContact DWS).

had my pirelli' P-zero nero for about 12k (1 year now) and don't think they are loud, have great traction for all weather driving, would NEVER autoX them...because they aren't suppose to be "tracked". drive spiritedly, take off ramps super fast and have a good time and no issues. hard acceleration in rain is usually handled pretty well with the tires as well.

i can't say anything bad about them so far. still lots of tread left too. has really good reviews on tire rack too (i read LOTS of reviews before deciding on them)

kayger12
10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
For the all-season drivers, don't overlook the new Kumho Ecsta 4x.

Only been out a few months, but getting great reviews.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Gheybe
10-06-2011, 07:25 PM

INVO's are not that much more than Ventus V12. I used to have Ventus.

webster
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
so would you say they are worth the extra $150 or so over the V12s?

Hankook is also doing $80 rebates if you buy a set of 4...thats another factor in this decision...

webster
10-08-2011, 07:08 AM
not sure if this has been posted before, but i found an interesting C/D article that compares a bunch of less expensive summer tires:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests

kayger12
10-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Good article. Thanks.