PDA

View Full Version : Tree sap... *shudder*

Tucker
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Rookie mistake, I know, but I had little choice but to leave my car parked under a pine tree over the weekend when I blew a tire 200 miles from home.

Long story short, I now have more tree sap on my car than I even <gag> want to talk about. Wow, I just threw up in my mouth a little. It's mostly on my roof and the driver's door.

Anyone have any tips, or a product they'd like to--ahem--pitch? (See what I did there?)

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 12:46 PM
You're definitely in the right forum. Plenty of knowledgeable people here. I'm already looking forward to their answers. I have no experience with tree sap. Therefore, I'm interested in seeing some solutions.

HokieZHP
07-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I use water and soap on a microfiber. Seems to work well for the little sap I get here and there

Tucker
07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm gonna have to upload some pictures or something... it seriously looks like someone threw spoonfuls of sap onto my car. This pine tree has issues.

BlackNTan
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I've recently used Goo Gone for Cars (diluted version of the original) and it worked pretty well on my E Class. Im probably destroying the clear coat and I'm sure more expert members will chime in but it does grt rid of the sap.

brettbimmer
07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
As BlackNTan said best, I am not an expert, though I have used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (NON-AEROSOL VERSION ONLY!!) for 14 years to keep the back-road tar, stubborn tree sap, etc. off of my '97 E36 and other vehicles (including boats). I have not had any adverse affects from what I can see, though I have never inspected under a microscope either. Side note - this stuff works great for getting gum off the bottom of your shoe! Good luck with the sap zap!

static667
07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I've used some stuff called Bug and Tar remover before. It works pretty well, just takes a little working to get it done.

Johal E32
07-25-2011, 08:27 PM
clay bar?

AzkotikBMW
07-26-2011, 05:26 AM
I also have a few spots of sap on my car....ive read everything from nail polish remover to mineral oil to gasoline. I really want to find a fail-proof way to get it off and not hurt the finish at all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

Ryans323i
07-26-2011, 06:17 AM
I once asked this same question to my paint guy, expecting a simple "this" answer. Well he did give me a simple answer, "Soap, water, & elbow grease", but it was followed by a twenty minute lecture on what not to use and his experiences with the aftermaths when someone doesn't just use soap and water. He vehemently warned me of the dangers of nail polish remover (acetone), Goo Gone, and other chemicals.

So for me it's just soap and water and a lot of up/down/to/fro/sidetoside/aroundandaround motions.

If you do use a Goo Gone like cleanser, you should follow up w/ a glaze and wax (or sealant). Refer to This Thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2211-General-Detailing-Guide-Written-by-M0nk3y) for more info on these products.

Tucker
07-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Thank you, everyone. Man I love the Mafia.

Go Horns!
07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
I used a combo of Einszett-1Z Anti Insekt Bug and Tar Remover (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=13407&url=detailedimage.com/Einszett-1Z-M46/Anti-Insekt-Bug-Tar-Remover-P469/500-ml-S1/) and clay bar to remove road tar from my Tahoe recently.

HokieZHP
07-26-2011, 08:22 AM
I once asked this same question to my paint guy, expecting a simple "this" answer. Well he did give me a simple answer, "Soap, water, & elbow grease", but it was followed by a twenty minute lecture on what not to use and his experiences with the aftermaths when someone doesn't just use soap and water. He vehemently warned me of the dangers of nail polish remover (acetone), Goo Gone, and other chemicals.

I got that same lecture from my mechanic haha. Soap and water is what he said even if it does take a bit longer, your paint will be safe.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Thank you, everyone. Man I love the Mafia.

And we love you, too, Tucker! Big, happy family here.

cakM3
07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
..."Soap, water, & elbow grease", but it was followed by a twenty minute lecture on what not to use and his experiences with the aftermaths when someone doesn't just use soap and water. He vehemently warned me of the dangers of nail polish remover (acetone), Goo Gone, and other chemicals.

So for me it's just soap and water and a lot of up/down/to/fro/sidetoside/aroundandaround motions.

If you do use a Goo Gone like cleanser, you should follow up w/ a glaze and wax (or sealant). Refer to This Thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2211-General-Detailing-Guide-Written-by-M0nk3y) for more info on these products.

^
+1

This is the process I use on both my bimmers but I use warm to hot water rather than cold water. Seems to work better. Tree sap goes off easier for me when I use hot water.

Hobbes
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
+1 for warm water and soap.

If things are REALLY bad, WD-40. I never let anything harsher than that touch a car, and rarely if ever, just on incredibly stubborn spots. It still takes some elbow grease, but I've read/been told/ seen that it doesn't harm the paint.

If you go the WD-40 route, do not spray it on your car, spray it on a rag, then wipe and when you're finished clean up with some warm water and soap. I like to do a little light wax after as well. :)

GreenFrog
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I used purell hand sanitizer. Hope I didn't ruin my paint..

quikryptonite
08-08-2011, 12:20 PM
This just happened to me the other day. I left my E30 under a tree for just a little while in a driveway and had two little drops of sap on it. Whoever puts pine trees in their driveways are crazy.

Thanks for the tips, here is to getting the junk off my car.

das boots
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Well, I got this spot on the hood. It was already there when I purchased my ZHP. Do not know if it was a tree sap or bird poo. Now, it is like a tattoo on the hood. Very contrasting with blur background. PO probably didn't give any care.....

danewilson77
09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Well, I got this spot on the hood. It was already there when I purchased my ZHP. Do not know if it was a tree sap or bird poo. Now, it is like a tattoo on the hood. Very contrasting with blur background. PO probably didn't give any care.....

Pull it off with clay.....

bullfrogs_M3
09-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I used a combo of Einszett-1Z Anti Insekt Bug and Tar Remover (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=13407&url=detailedimage.com/Einszett-1Z-M46/Anti-Insekt-Bug-Tar-Remover-P469/500-ml-S1/) and clay bar to remove road tar from my Tahoe recently.

Good choice. Use Einszett or Chemical Guys: http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/Bug-Bugger-Tar-Remover-P277/16-oz-S1/

But to keep your paint from getting chemical burn, DILUTE either solution with some water. Also use a good microfiber towel or microfiber applicator pad, to avoid swirls.