PDA

View Full Version : Odd Electrical Issues... Trip Odometer and Radio

fricker66
07-26-2011, 04:55 AM
Over the past two weeks or so, I've been experiencing an odd electrical issue at some phase of startup. The car starts fine but the memory of the trip odometer is erased and everything, including the clock, is reset. This has never occurred during normal driving but is immediately noticed right at start up. Clearly just a minor inconvenience at this point but am hoping to avoid any further severe issues or electrical gremlins.

The other odd electrical issue is that for many months now, I have randomly experienced a brief (1-2 second cutout) in the radio that only occurs maybe 5-10 seconds after start up. Radio is playing immediately after startup and then has a short cutout only to resume without any adjustments on my part.

Neither of these issues are a constant. However, they have repeated themselves enough at this point I wanted to put them out there to share with the group. Other item to note is that I installed the Autozone replacement battery in the winter of 2009. Thoughts on what to look for or keep an eye on?

Thanks in advance!

danewilson77
07-26-2011, 05:15 AM
Test your battery is where I would start. The other thing you can do is disconnect your battery and touch the positive and negative leads together for 5 minutes. That info comes from the boys at Turner Motorsports.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

fricker66
07-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the response. Looks like I'm going to need to do those steps soon as the trip odometer reset again this morning at startup.

danewilson77
07-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Battery should read 12.5v after 1 hour of no load operation.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

fricker66
07-29-2011, 07:19 AM
I plan to test battery this weekend but wanted to report back that I found a loose connection on the positive terminal. I snugged it back up. Start up this morning was normal.