PDA

View Full Version : Xenon bulb choices.

Ryans323i
07-27-2011, 06:56 AM
I've got a xenon bulb out and need to replace it. I'll be replacing both (passenger and driver's) and keeping the old working one for an extra.

But what/who's should I buy?

I've got OE projectors, NON-bixenon. Which is xenon for low beams and halogens for high-beams. I do not have DRLs.

Here's a pic (hood's popped)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/headlight.jpg

Am I correct that I need an H7 bulb ($10)? Or is it a DS-2 bulb ($85)?

spencers
07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
For OEM projectors you need D2S xenon bulbs.

My suggestion is the Phillips 85122+
$95 a pair here, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=148&osCsid=grnvmm10kequae7i0envrvmi2ukfm87e
These are the absolute BEST bulbs you can buy for the price. Best light output (lumens), best longevity (2500 hours), and most efficient.

If you can afford, (and locate) the Osram Cool Blue Intense, its a top notch quality bulb, rated at 5000k and 3400 lumens.

Lastly, if you're looking to save a little money versus the Phillips, the Sylvania 66240 on amazon for $40/each is good quality OEM replacement.

Ryans323i
07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Guess I'll be getting the Phillips. Thanks for the answer and links!

quikryptonite
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey Ryan,

How long did it take you to replace the bulb? I've just had one of my BiXenon headlights go out and I'm hoping to take care of it this week. Is this a pretty easy DIY?

TIA.

BimmerWill
11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Im going to be doing this soon as well.
I was thinking about going this route as I would like to go with 6k bulbs again.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-Bulb-Replacements-Pair

The price is significantly less than the phillips and others. I bought some from umnitza around 2 years ago and they are going out on me.
Should i just bite the bullet and go for the expensive ones?

JKO_ZHP
11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
For OEM projectors you need D2S xenon bulbs.

My suggestion is the Phillips 85122+
$95 a pair here, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=148&osCsid=grnvmm10kequae7i0envrvmi2ukfm87e
These are the absolute BEST bulbs you can buy for the price. Best light output (lumens), best longevity (2500 hours), and most efficient.

If you can afford, (and locate) the Osram Cool Blue Intense, its a top notch quality bulb, rated at 5000k and 3400 lumens.

Lastly, if you're looking to save a little money versus the Phillips, the Sylvania 66240 on amazon for $40/each is good quality OEM replacement.

I'm confused, my '05 325Ci's OEM projectors used H7s; both low and high beams used H7s.
My ZHP though, the projectors are D2S.
Ryan, the 100% error-free way to tell is if the bulb that is out is long or short.
http://www.patzcatz.com/audi/dsc02540.jpg
For H7's, I used Sylvania Silverstars and they were pretty bright, pure white.
The D2S's I have now are generic ones from Khoalty, 6000K, very bright with a slight blue tinge. Very cheap, had them on for over half a year, no problems at all. At the price I paid and the brightness, I think I'd rather stick with these. A couple lumens isn't worth around 50-100 bucks extra to me.

Hey Ryan,

How long did it take you to replace the bulb? I've just had one of my BiXenon headlights go out and I'm hoping to take care of it this week. Is this a pretty easy DIY?

TIA.

The airbox kinda blocks the driver's side but I have contortionist hands, popped out the bulb and replaced it in 5 minutes without taking out the headlights or anything.
There used to be a DIY guide on E46Fanatics and also a YouTube vid by sillieidiot...

BimmerWill
11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey Ryan,

TIA.

I swapped my 2 bulbs around tonight within ten minutes from one side to the other no problem.

I went ahead and ordered the 6ks from ddmtuning. Says they prob wont be here for a week. Im hoping that it doesn't take that long...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
11-19-2012, 02:07 AM
I know this thread is old, but for you guys looking for what I believe is the absolute BEST D2S bulb you can buy, go with the Osram Xenarc SVS. I am still blown away at how bright and clear nighttime driving is. Perfectly white, insanely bright.

I got my set at www.theretrofitsource.com. $200/pair

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S... :shifty

BimmerWill
11-19-2012, 07:16 AM
I know this thread is old, but for you guys looking for what I believe is the absolute BEST D2S bulb you can buy, go with the Osram Xenarc SVS. I am still blown away at how bright and clear nighttime driving is. Perfectly white, insanely bright.

That's just a lot more money for bulbs then I can afford with my other expenses right now. Later down the road when money is not so tight ill look into them.

Thanks for the suggestion ill keep them in mind!

JupiterBMW
11-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Agreed... I will admit, had I not had the extra income when I bought them, I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with OEM replacements at $90/pair... But, I had a little extra cash to toss around, and now that I have them, I'm glad I do. :)

nike001
11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm confused, my '05 325Ci's OEM projectors used H7s; both low and high beams used H7s.
My ZHP though, the projectors are D2S.
Your 325 had halogens then. All cars, either halogen or HID had projectors. They're different projectors internally, but look the same outside.

Agreed... I will admit, had I not had the extra income when I bought them, I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with OEM replacements at $90/pair... But, I had a little extra cash to toss around, and now that I have them, I'm glad I do. :)

As did I when I bought my CBI's. Generally happy with them. I didn't want stupid yellow HID bulbs....

Hermes
11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
+3 to CBI

JKO_ZHP
11-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Totally missed the date of the original post.... :facepalm

BimmerWill
11-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Totally missed the date of the original post.... :facepalm

Might as well revisit instead of starting a new thread I suppose lol

az3579
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Your 325 had halogens then. All cars, either halogen or HID had projectors. They're different projectors internally, but look the same outside.

Only for the facelift coupes. Sedans still had the Xenon (projector yes) / halogen (projector no) differentiation.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

nike001
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Only for the facelift coupes. Sedans still had the Xenon (projector yes) / halogen (projector no) differentiation.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

I was going to mention that, but I figured it was kind of obvious it was for facelift couples only..lol

Jlastor
11-20-2012, 04:23 AM
I had a bad ballast for over a year (when my car was my dad's DD) and when I bought him the car and replaced the ballast the bulb lights up but 50% less bright and with a lot more blueish color. I have been using the car like that for the past year now. Could this be the bulb? Or is the ballast (which I bought in "used" condition) be the culprit for the bulb not being as bright as the other side? I hope its the bulb... But I have not had time to take both ballasts off to compare...

Ryans323i
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Very easy DIY. Took me about 30 mins to do both and I was taking my time. If I had to do it again, it would probably on take 15mins. This is really long and excessive video but it show exactly what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9olWuWTIg

quikryptonite
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Very easy DIY. Took me about 30 mins to do both and I was taking my time. If I had to do it again, it would probably on take 15mins. This is really long and excessive video but it show exactly what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9olWuWTIg

Thanks so much, my cousin and I are going to tackle this tonight.

Ryans323i
11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Great! Handle that shizzle.

terraphantm
11-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I had a bad ballast for over a year (when my car was my dad's DD) and when I bought him the car and replaced the ballast the bulb lights up but 50% less bright and with a lot more blueish color. I have been using the car like that for the past year now. Could this be the bulb? Or is the ballast (which I bought in "used" condition) be the culprit for the bulb not being as bright as the other side? I hope its the bulb... But I have not had time to take both ballasts off to compare...

Probably the bulb. Possible a burnt bowl

jack.chris328
11-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Normally the ballast will just either be on or off. Usually doesn't work at half power. Before going ahead and taking the headlights out to swap the ballasts, I suggest just swap the bulbs as that is an easier process. If the problem follows the swap you know that it is the bulb. I would bet that it is the bulb. Usually when the bulbs are on there way out they turn to a more yellow color though. My thought is that you have different color temperature bulbs in there. The higher you go in the color temp range the more blue to even purple the light looks. But it also puts out less "usable" light on the road which may be the reason it looks like it is half as bright.

quikryptonite
11-23-2012, 11:33 AM
So, I get in there and I don't have the nice rubber boots that fit over the back of the bulb assembly and just slide off like in the video above. It is a hard plastic thing with two clips on top and some a rubber boot attached on back that I haven't been able to get off. So, I unclipped the thing but for the life of me I couldn't get this dumb cover off the back. The ignitor is just barely too big to slide this protective thing off. I think I'll take the air box out, but how in the heck does one get that thing off with the windshield washer fluid reservoir in the way on the passenger side?

Any thoughts?

I swear, I always have the worst luck when it comes to DIY projects. I was so ready for this to be a 30 min thing. Not a two day ordeal.

jack.chris328
11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
So, I get in there and I don't have the nice rubber boots that fit over the back of the bulb assembly and just slide off like in the video above. It is a hard plastic thing with two clips on top and some a rubber boot attached on back that I haven't been able to get off. So, I unclipped the thing but for the life of me I couldn't get this dumb cover off the back. The ignitor is just barely too big to slide this protective thing off. I think I'll take the air box out, but how in the heck does one get that thing off with the windshield washer fluid reservoir in the way on the passenger side?

Any thoughts?

I swear, I always have the worst luck when it comes to DIY projects. I was so ready for this to be a 30 min thing. Not a two day ordeal.

It doesn't have to be so bad. I think that the way to go before taking out the airbox or the washer fluid container is to slide the headlights forward. There are 4 8mm bolts/screws that hold it in place that you can access from the top of the light. Once you take out those 4 screws you will be able to slide the headlight forward enough to get the covers off. Even if you have headlight washers you should still be able to pull the headlight forward just enough to get the covers off without taking them out. I will see if I have some pictures of where the 4 screws are. It will also help if you take out the corner light. It is just one phillips screw that you can access through a hole in the top of the inner fender. I'll be right back.

jack.chris328
11-23-2012, 01:10 PM
O.k. so the two top ones are easily seen and attach the top tabs to the core support. The other two are lower, down at the bottom of the headlight. One is in the rear of the light almost in line with the vertical adjusting knob. The other one is on the inner most corner of the headlight, tucked down in between the front air duct/radiator and the headlight. You may have to use a flashlight to find it and will need an extension. Once it is out it can easily drop down so be a little careful. Here are some pictures. Hopefully they help. These are only showing the lower screws as the light is already out of the car.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/JackChristian/Email%20Photos/th_file-160.jpg (http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/JackChristian/Email%20Photos/file-160.jpg) http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/JackChristian/Email%20Photos/th_file-159.jpg (http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/JackChristian/Email%20Photos/file-159.jpg) http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/JackChristian/Email%20Photos/th_file-158.jpg (http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/JackChristian/Email%20Photos/file-158.jpg)

quikryptonite
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
With your helpful suggestion I was able to slide out my headlight assemblies without too much trouble and get the bulbs replaced. Thanks for the tip. The bad news is this:

I replaced my bulb with a brand new Phillips DS2 and it still doesn't work. Also, I couldn't figure out how to get the little screw in that is closest to the kidney grills so both my headlights are currently being held in place with just three of the four screws. I need to figure that one out, but I was too tired and depressed after seeing that the problematic headlight didn't get fixed with the bulb replacement. Any other ideas about what it might be?

Perhaps the igniter is gone kerplooie?
How difficult would it be to install this:

ZKW Ignitor (http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/63126925648/ES172810/)

I'm probably going to take it in to my indy mechanic this week since replacing the bulb didn't solve the problem.

Hermes
11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
since you have a sedan I'm honestly betting on burnt bowls for your diminished brightness. I would like to be of more help but I've never played with the lights on a 4dr.

cakM3
11-24-2012, 08:27 PM
since you have a sedan I'm honestly betting on burnt bowls for your diminished brightness. I would like to be of more help but I've never played with the lights on a 4dr.

+1

@ quikryptonite, if you have OE ZKW headlight assemblies then I have to agree with JP in saying it may be your ZKW projector bowles. They may be burned out really bad and require replacement.

This is how mine looked when I removed them...
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Drivers-PassBurntBowls-1.jpg

Also you mentioned this "Also, I couldn't figure out how to get the little screw in that is closest to the kidney grills so both my headlights are currently being held in place with just three of the four screws." if you take a look at my ZKW projector Bowl retrofit DIY (link in my sig) you can see how I addressed that one screw...:thumbsup

quikryptonite
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
We regards to the burnt bowls, both of mine were a little amber but didn't seem to be too serious. Would that affect the bulb not lighting up?

FTR, I know basically nothing about electrical systems and such. :(

Hermes
11-24-2012, 10:17 PM
any amber is just plain wrong, it should be reflective silver/chrome. This honestly sounds like a normal ZKW issue

cakM3
11-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Here were mine....amber/brown. This is the side you see when you change out your bulb....the second picture is what you don't see which will explain why you don't have sufficient light output....

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/36-burntprojectorbowl.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/40-burntprojectorbowl.jpg

As you can see by the second (lower) picture, the upper half of the reflective coating has burned off. This is because the ZKW projectors are made out of plastic. That's right! Plastic.....over time this will happen to all ZKW projectors. So you have several options....

1. Buy new ZKW headlight assemblies for over $1,000 ea and have this same issue several years later....last time I checked they were running around $1,200 ea...

2. Buy AL headlight assemblies and spend close to $1,000 ea but not have this issue again....

3. Spend about $200 on OEM E90 projector assemblies and retrofit them onto the ZKW headlight assemblies...

4. Spend about $200 on OEM M3 AL projector assemblies w/ additional controller circuit card for the M3 bi-xenon solenoid and retrofit them onto the ZKW headlight assemblies (DIY link in my sig)

Those are pretty much the options you are faced with. BMW will not do anything to replace these failed headlight assemblies.....and sedans are the only ones that are affected.....that is ones with ZKW headlight assemblies....:facepalm

not meaning to threadjack....but if you are replacing your bulbs with new ones that you know are good then this is most likely your problem...

danewilson77
11-25-2012, 04:55 AM
I have an ignitor. Brand new from Tischer. I will let you try it out, and if it fixes your problem, then we can come up with a price. If not, send it back.

Good option if you decide to go this route.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

jack.chris328
11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. For some reason I am not getting the email notifications with updates on threads. Glad you got the light out. Sorry to hear that the bulb wasn't the problem. We haven't definitively established if your lights are ZKW or AL. We are all assuming that they are ZKW's. But either way if it is the ignitor you will have to completely dis-assemble the headlight to change it. The best way to find out what the problem is with the parts you currently have is to swap individual components from left to right. Sounds like next would be the ballast on the bottom. If you swap it and the problem follows then you know it is the ballast. If not then it is going to be the ignitor.

quikryptonite
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I just got off the phone with Dan @ FCPEuro. We chatted for a while about what was going wrong with my lights. I told him I had the ZKW Bi-Xenons with the lameo projectors made of plastic. I asked him about replacing the assembly with this: Magneti Marelli (http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-headlight-assembly-xenon-right-325i-325xi-330i-330xi-63127165780) VS this: ZKW Bi-Xenon (http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-headlight-assembly-xenon-right-325i-325xi-330i-330xi-oem-63127165834). He talked to his contact at BMW and he said that he highly recommends that you replace your headlight assembly with the brand it came with due to the problems associated with the on-board computer etc...

Unfortunately, due to my complete lack of electrical skills I don't have too many options here. I don't feel confident in retrofiting my projectors to replace them. I'm unsure about taking apart my headlight to test the ballast and ignitor. I suppose I could test the parts and then I could rebuild my headlight with a new ballast ($380) new ignitor ($160) along with some new gaskets.

Has anyone here successfully changed brands of their headlight assembly? I found this thread from Dane Hella vs Magnetti Marelli (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7779-Difference-between-Hella-and-Magnetti-Marelli-gt-4-Questions&highlight=hella).

I just found this thread:
SNA77s ZKW to AL Swap (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5619-Another-option-for-bi-xenons-Magneti-Marelli-OEM-replacements/page5)

Sounds like I would be ok to buy the MM and do a plug and play. Right??? I wonder if the guy at FCPEuro was just trying to make an upsell or simply cover his own hide if something did go wrong. I'm really paranoid about buying a $675 part and not having it work properly or even worse, royally screw up my beloved automobile.

danewilson77
11-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I believe the MM's are AL equivalent.

JupiterBMW
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes, they are... And just to put your mind at ease, the OEM ZKW, AL or the MM lights are all 'the same'. They are not identical, and internals do vary a bit, but they are all plug and play and they all work just fine. I came across a set of the AL brand lights and swapped them in to my car, and they're great. I had previously done the E90 ZKW retrofit (I posted a very extensive DIY) and that worked out fine too.

So, regardless of which brand you choose, they'll work just fine. Just make sure they are for a facelift sedan.

danewilson77
11-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Except the zkw bowls would just burn out again.

cakM3
11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Except the zkw bowls would just burn out again.

+1

Just don't get replacement ZKWs unless you understand that you will be replacing them again...:p

I opted to keep my ZKW headlight assemblies and just replaced my burned out projector bowls with OEM M3 AL projector bowls. Even got a very detailed DIY posted on this forum as a result of swapping them out...:thumbsup Total cost of doing the work myself was under $200....not bad if you ask me...:)

derbo
11-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Yes, they are... And just to put your mind at ease, the OEM ZKW, AL or the MM lights are all 'the same'. They are not identical, and internals do vary a bit, but they are all plug and play and they all work just fine. I came across a set of the AL brand lights and swapped them in to my car, and they're great. I had previously done the E90 ZKW retrofit (I posted a very extensive DIY) and that worked out fine too.

So, regardless of which brand you choose, they'll work just fine. Just make sure they are for a facelift sedan.

There is a slight different between the AL and the ZKW where the brackets are a bit off.

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/l/e/307.png

Item #10 needs to be trimmed for the AL headlights from ZKW. Nothing a small dremel couldn't fix. :D

I swapped to ALs and couldn't been happier. I do miss the sharp cutoff from the ZKW lenses versus the more cloudy AL lenses, but I think I will try to swap ZKW Lense over to the AL when I am able to have downtime with the car.

cakM3
11-27-2012, 03:40 AM
There is a slight different between the AL and the ZKW where the brackets are a bit off.

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/l/e/307.png

Item #10 needs to be trimmed for the AL headlights from ZKW. Nothing a small dremel couldn't fix. :D

I swapped to ALs and couldn't been happier. I do miss the sharp cutoff from the ZKW lenses versus the more cloudy AL lenses, but I think I will try to swap ZKW Lense over to the AL when I am able to have downtime with the car.

Derek,

That's all you have to do is swap the lens out and you should have the clarity of the ZKW lens although I'm guessing the shutters will be different between the ZKW's and AL's....

derbo
11-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Derek,

That's all you have to do is swap the lens out and you should have the clarity of the ZKW lens although I'm guessing the shutters will be different between the ZKW's and AL's....

Charlie,

Oh I know! I will swap out the ZKW projector lenses when I can borrow my brother's car so I can work on the lights without worrying about getting it down in less than a few hours. Problem is, I do not have my ZKW headlights anymore.. Debating if I want to buy the ZKW-R lenses or try and take my cousins's ZKW spare headlight lenses lol.

HokieZHP
01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Thread REVIVAL!

So I bought 6k bulbs new (Second hand though) from khoalty or somewhere and the driver one went out. I am just going to replace both and was wondering which is the best 6k bulb I can buy. I'd like 6k since they match the angel eyes and the 4300k bulbs stick out pretty obviously. I read this thread about the Osram and the Phillips bulbs but they both seem to be 4300k.

Any suggestions for a good quality 6k bulb? I have the bi-xenon AL headlights BTW.

nike001
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I had junk 5k bulbs in my car for a brief period and they were terrible. I can't imagine what 6k's are like.

I have 5k CBI's now. They're perfect.. and I think they're still the brightest bulbs you can get. Those junk bulbs put out terrible lumens.

danewilson77
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Phillips.

BimmerWill
01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Thread REVIVAL!

So I bought 6k bulbs new (Second hand though) from khoalty or somewhere and the driver one went out. I am just going to replace both and was wondering which is the best 6k bulb I can buy. I'd like 6k since they match the angel eyes and the 4300k bulbs stick out pretty obviously. I read this thread about the Osram and the Phillips bulbs but they both seem to be 4300k.

Any suggestions for a good quality 6k bulb? I have the bi-xenon AL headlights BTW.

Im running 6k as well...like others have stated the aftermarket bulbs usually just aren't up to par with manufacturing standards so you usually get shorter life spans.

That being said I ran a set of aftermarket bulbs for over a year before they started going out. My advice is if 6k is what you want get a set from ddmtuning. 15 bucks for the set I think and they last a decent amount of time.

However if you really want oem and longevity go with the phillips. It just really depends on if you want to swap another set in 6 months to a year down the road. Then again the phillips set will run you about a $100 a piece I think.

HokieZHP
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I was looking at the 5K osram bulbs from the retrofit store. These... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=10591
and these... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=240

After looking around more I can't find any reliable 6k bulbs. So 5k or 4300k will do. Just not sure which. Leaning towards 5k. Any suggestions between those two?

Btw, pulled my stock bulbs out of storage, looks like the PO had replaced one already...http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/vamegy5u.jpg

danewilson77
01-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Never heard a bad thing about the D2S's though I'm sure the Osram's are good. I thought we had a product review on these? 4300k is oem I believe.

HokieZHP
01-11-2013, 06:57 PM
So turns out it's not the bulb. I thought it was since I just replaced the igniter on that side a couple months ago with an OEM one but now I tried 2 other bulbs in it and none of them turn on. When it went out, the light was flickering then just died. Any ideas as to what the issue could be??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nike001
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Two of the best/brightest bulbs available:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=257

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=10591

JKO_ZHP
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
The factory bulbs are Philips I believe, but I don't like the yellow color it gives off.
I went with Khoalty's 6000K ones and for the price, it's definitely worth it and pretty damn bright/reliable (I had them for a long time) and it matches the AE's and fogs well. :)
Now, running Osram CBI's and they are 5000K but are pure white, there's no hint of blue. Hoping to wear them out til a slight blue tinge appears since these are the only lights that are not light bluish from the bumper; they are definitely brighter than the 6000K Khoalty ones that I had previously but not by a dramatic amount.

JupiterBMW
01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
On the other hand, I prefer the SVS bulbs that I have. Also insanely bright, perfectly white... I really wish I could see some CBIs right alongside my SVS bulbs.

JKO_ZHP
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
On the other hand, I prefer the SVS bulbs that I have. Also insanely bright, perfectly white... I really wish I could see some CBIs right alongside my SVS bulbs.

I think if anything, CBI's are a little closet to being pure white....I couldn't notice even the slightest tinge of blue while staring straight at them - although when they first fire up, they appear to be blue, like 6000K.

Probably over time, the CBI's will develop a blue tinge sooner than the SVS.

HokieZHP
01-12-2013, 07:04 PM
What's the difference between CBI and SVS?

nike001
01-12-2013, 07:05 PM

CBI:
http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/CBI_abblend_2048.jpg

SVS:
http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/silverstar_abblend_2048.jpg

CBI:
http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/CBI_fernl_2048.jpg

SVS:
http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/silverstar_fernl_2048.jpg

HokieZHP
01-12-2013, 07:08 PM
That's a pretty clear explanation haha thanks!

Tnhl1989
05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
I am unsure which bulbs to get. They both look great honestly. I think overall the CBI reminds me of the new LED lights that are coming on the BMW now compared while the SVS looks like xenon lights to me. Any polls? I'm currently in the market for a set of new bulbs.

Hermes
05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
I have CBI

Tnhl1989
05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
How do you enjoy them? I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on bulbs. Overall benefits?

Hermes
05-22-2014, 07:57 PM
the pics above show the difference, they're great bulbs. I felt the same way about the price, but now that I have them I don't regret it and wouldn't buy anything else

Hornung418
05-22-2014, 08:57 PM
the pics above show the difference, they're great bulbs. I felt the same way about the price, but now that I have them I don't regret it and wouldn't buy anything else

The best bulb on the market. By far.

Sent from my GS3.