PDA

View Full Version : Mike Miller Old School Maintenance Schedule for BMW

kayger12
12-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I looked into this after seeing it mentioned in a thread and then posted some info here before Marcus pointed out (in a much kinder and more professional way than I deserved) that I was posting copyrighted material-- which is apparently frowned upon by the law abiding citizens attempting to protect their intellectual property.

So anyhow, I understand that if you shoot Mike an email, you can get a copy of his latest Old School Maintenance Schedule which is what he believes the maintenance schedules for our cars essentially would be if it weren't for the free maintenance program.

His email is mikemillerroundelmag@drivewheels.hush.com

Thanks again Marcus for taking care of my dumb @ss.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Keith, I am here for ya. Mike will tell you that he doesn't want his stuff posted because he tweaks it periodically. I respect that. Anyhow, he will email you the schedule.

az3579
12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
It's copyrighted? ARE YOU SERIOUS?
:shifty:

danewilson77
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
How is something like that copyrighted? I kept my mouth shut till someone else brought it up.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-11-2010, 03:34 PM
He composed the article. His intellectual property. He gets a copyright without having to do anything else (he doesn't have to file for a copyright). Just like a news article. No difference here.

danewilson77
12-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Mmmmmm..

Marcus-SanDiego
12-11-2010, 07:34 PM
You'll have to trust me, DW.

If you wrote an article right now, you'd have an immediate copyright in it. No one could come along and peddle it as their own. They could use some of it -- under the fair-use doctrine (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html) -- but they would not be able to reprint the entire thing without your permission.

az3579
12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I actually found it online somewhere. I really had to look though as almost nobody posted it, but there is a thread on Bf.c with it.
He definitely tweaks it, because the one I found is a little different than the one I remember. Apparently cooling system stuff he thinks should now be done at 60k; I always remembered it as being 90k.

I just wish there was a SET interval, a no-lying list FROM BMW that tells us when to replace things, even if they think it doesn't need replacing, with reasonable intervals. None of that 15k oil change bologna.

danewilson77
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
You'll have to trust me, DW.

If you wrote an article right now, you'd have an immediate copyright in it. No one could come along and peddle it as their own. They could use some of it -- under the fair-use doctrine -- but they would not be able to reprint the entire thing without your permission.

Got eeeeeeeet. I trust you.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I actually found it online somewhere. I really had to look though as almost nobody posted it

I was monitoring my traffic this morning and saw that someone was looking for Mike Miller's maintenance schedule. Then I saw your comment about it being difficult to find.

Wanted to give people some insight into why that is. Mike Miller is rabid about doing "take downs." If he finds his maintenance schedule posted on a site, he'll send the site administrator a take-down notice. As a result, it's difficult to find it posted on a widespread basis.

jjcools
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the address, he literally responded within 10 minutes or less.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the address, he literally responded within 10 minutes or less.

That's what I'm talking about. He may not post it anywhere but he is accessible, meaning that you can get it right away.

kayger12
02-13-2011, 06:58 AM
For those of you that are procrastinating with respect to doing this (like I did), I emailed Mike at 9:30 this morning and received an email from him with the schedule at 9:48.

For reference purposes the latest version is from 01/09.

gr330zhp
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I saw the thread title and thought "woah woah woah that is protected" Good job on the removal

I have friends who have emailed him and he quickly responded with it :)

gr330zhp
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Also guys, Bavarian Auto has a pretty good maintenance schedule as well

You can find it in the Winter 2007-2008 Fast Times :)

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_n108_newsletter.pdf

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I saw the thread title and thought "woah woah woah that is protected" Good job on the removal

I have friends who have emailed him and he quickly responded with it :)

Yes. We don't want to infringe on Mike Miller's copyrighted work.

Washburn
02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
So, um, what does one exactly say when one writes to him? I am not sure how to formulate my request.

kayger12
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
So, um, what does one exactly say when one writes to him? I am not sure how to formulate my request.

My eloquently worded email, lol.

Good Morning Mike--

Would love to have a copy of your Old School Maintenance Schedule if
that's possible.

Thanks so much.

Keith

az3579
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
He's easy to deal with, just ask him for it. Keith's method is exactly how I worded mine (almost to the letter) and he sent it on over! His response time was pretty good, too.

My eloquently worded email, lol.

Good Morning Mike--

Would love to have a copy of your Old School Maintenance Schedule if
that's possible.

Thanks so much.

Keith

Darin Worthington
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I looked at the Bavauto's schedule. It seems extreme to the max on their intervals. We don't run the autobahn here and I am sure that the average person here autocrosses every month! Those intervals would work if I am still driving a car from 1984, but come on I am sure that BMW has improved the seals, materials, ect used in the motor and other parts today. Yes I don't agree with a two year oil change, but when synthic oil first came out and the manufactor stated that you could go 7k between oil changes, you should of heard the uproar from the peanut gallery. Now BMW has come out with something new like go 100k for a ATF change, and spark plugs, and folks just want to throw thier money away replacing good parts for no reason.

I am not trying to "down" anybodys tried and true maintaince schedule, but you do what you want with your car, I will keep mine running fine for the next 20 years.
I am just trying to shine some light on the topic from another side is all.

LivesNearCostco
02-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I just asked Mike for this and he sent it next day, but also advised that we should use a different email address -- mikemillerroundelmag@drivewheels.hush.com

ELCID86
02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
^Thanks. Done.

kayger12
02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
I just asked Mike for this and he sent it next day, but also advised that we should use a different email address -- mikemillerroundelmag@drivewheels.hush.com

Updated in first post. Thanks.

Still the V12.10 version, or is there a newer one?

LivesNearCostco
02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
The version I got was V03.13-1; probably it's version 13.1?

kayger12
02-03-2014, 04:17 PM
The version I got was V03.13-1; probably it's version 13.1?

Cool. I'll email him and get the new version.

Mine is from 2010.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Very quick response from him.

Smolck
02-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Just curious, why people need this? I'd think by now there is enough info on the interwebs that anyone could easily use that and common sense to formulate their own without issue? Doesn't anyone remember life before synthetics?

kayger12
02-04-2014, 12:21 PM
I like it because it's convenient.

All the info I need in a concise document from a reputable source.

No downside I can see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk