PDA

View Full Version : My e46 is driving me mad!

mikeyb74
08-01-2011, 05:40 AM
So my e46 is driving me mad with two problems!

So the first problem is the yellow oil level light keeps coming. So I've replaced the oil level sender 3 times now thinking it was defective parts. Now with a BMW OE sender the light still comes on randomly, or while driving, or after shut down. Or it comes on every 7 days which is about 600 miles of driving. I check the oil level all the time. Once in a while I will add half a quart. And thoughts what else it could be?

The second problem is when the air conditioning is on the passenger side air is not cold but lukewarm. Driver side is cold. I haven't replaced any parts for this problem. So any thoughts would be great what it could be.

I am on the fence with either keeping the car or shipping it down the road. It has 182K on it.

SoarinZHP
08-01-2011, 06:17 AM
I had the same a/c problem on my old E46 with 160xxx on the clock. The only way I figured out how to remedy the situation was to cycle the front defroster on and off a couple times. Let it blow on the windshield at full capacity for 10 seconds and push the a/c button again to make the old air come out the regular vents. It was fine for a while after that.

THe oil sensor thing? I think it is the car's way to let you know it's a BMW. ha.

danewilson77
08-01-2011, 07:14 AM
After ensuring the level is stable, change out the oil level sensor. This is a common problem.

#19 below.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance

AC system needs to be evacuated, leak tested, and recharged.

billschusteriv
08-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Sorry to hear you are having this issues buddy. I have also noticed an increase in the frequency at which the yellow oil light comes on and the car requires oil. One of my next jobs is VCG and oil filter house gasket and oil line to block gasket/oring.

Are you leaking fluids? Loose wires on the sensor?

I posted a PDF last week on the e46 AC system. There was some information there about the flapper valves that switch when you select where you want the air to come out. Let me see if I can dig up a link to the PDF....

RVAzhp
08-01-2011, 07:50 AM
After ensuring the level is stable, change out the oil level sensor. This is a common problem.

#19 below.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance

i just let my oil level sensor stop working so now the light never comes on. it's quite nice. Check the oil level every week weeks depending on my driving habits that month.

danewilson77
08-01-2011, 07:53 AM
What do you mean "you let it stop working"? Did you disable it?

VA//M3
08-01-2011, 08:28 AM

You can disable it through NCSexpert or you can short it to ground. similar to how you can do the same for the low windsheild washer fluid sensor by jumping the pins inside the connector.

mimalmo
08-01-2011, 08:41 AM
I guess after 3 oil level sensors, I would start to wonder about the oil pickup in the pan being clogged.

EDIT: Wait, that wouldn't explain it since the sensor doesn't measure flow or starvation at the top.

RVAzhp
08-01-2011, 09:24 AM

didn't disable. it just stopped reading out one day, sorta "found out the hardway" when i went to check and my oil was super low, but since then have just monitored on my own.

mikeyb74
08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

#19 below.

Dane I changed the sender after I drained the oil from the motor. As for the AC I just have to have it evacuated, leak tested, and recharged? The compressor has been making noise all summer.

mikeyb74
08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear you are having this issues buddy. I have also noticed an increase in the frequency at which the yellow oil light comes on and the car requires oil. One of my next jobs is VCG and oil filter house gasket and oil line to block gasket/oring.

Are you leaking fluids? Loose wires on the sensor?

I posted a PDF last week on the e46 AC system. There was some information there about the flapper valves that switch when you select where you want the air to come out. Let me see if I can dig up a link to the PDF....

I've already done the VCG, oil filter housing gasket, vanos oil line, and the CCV. There is no leakage from what I can tell. The wires seemed to be fine.

I just had a customer suggest the flapper valve could be starting to fail or could it be a failing heater valve?

Oh man I am so ready for a new car.

Whitexi
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
When my ac did that it was low. I got one 12oz can of just refrigerant and its now ice cold across the vents. Was it filled up enough?

mikeyb74
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I went out and clamped one of the hoses at the heater valve. The air became cold. T There was a humming noise from the valve when I had the hose clamped and the valve became very warm. The heater hose got warm when unclamped with the AC on. So looks like a failing heater valve.

So for the oil level sender I'm going to have to put the car back on a lift. I would not be surprised if the wiring is what the problem is.

RVAzhp
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Oh man I am so ready for a new car.
honestly man, minor AC problem and a light don't really seem like a big deal for a car that has 190k on it. plus you're in New Hampshire, not exactly the hottest place on earth, where not having AC would result in the worse drives of your life.

and an oil light is just an oil light, unless you're purging oil all over the world i wouldn't be too terribly concerned over a faulty light on a part that has been known to fail regularly on our cars.

mikeyb74
08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
honestly man, minor AC problem and a light don't really seem like a big deal for a car that has 190k on it. plus you're in New Hampshire, not exactly the hottest place on earth, where not having AC would result in the worse drives of your life.

and an oil light is just an oil light, unless you're purging oil all over the world i wouldn't be too terribly concerned over a faulty light on a part that has been known to fail regularly on our cars.

Yea NH is not the hottest place in the world but when your other half is whining about the ac not being on than it's a different story.

I sell alot of heater valves and oil level senders for e46s. It's just every week there is another problem with the thing. Just gets tiring.

RVAzhp
08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I guess that's part of owning a high mileage car. My buddy has 350k+ on a late 80s 5 series, that's an awesome car

mikeyb74
08-02-2011, 05:31 AM
I guess that's part of owning a high mileage car. My buddy has 350k+ on a late 80s 5 series, that's an awesome car

Good times that is for sure. I love having no car payment but when monthly repairs equal or pass a new car payment there is something wrong. The older BMWs seem to age better than the late models. One of my co workers has a 88 535is with almost 600K.

RVAzhp
08-02-2011, 05:48 AM
yeah if you're paying 350+ a month in repairs, that's sort of an issue. My goal is to get mine to 300k. we'll see if it makes it that far.

that's ridiculous mileage on a car btw, definitely impressive. only other car i know even close to that is my friend's dad's volvo which might be at 4 or 500k. How's the outside look?

mikeyb74
08-08-2011, 08:27 AM
So...Apparently there is a service bulletin for the yellow oil level even after replacement. BMW suggests reflashing the ECU. So I went to my inde BMW shop and had that done. So far so good. Also I actually did not need a heater valve but a recharge which lead to discovery of the compressor is leaking. It's always something.

danewilson77
08-08-2011, 08:50 AM
So...Apparently there is a service bulletin for the yellow oil level even after replacement. BMW suggests reflashing the ECU. So I went to my inde BMW shop and had that done. So far so good. Also I actually did not need a heater valve but a recharge which lead to discovery of the compressor is leaking. It's always something.

Great to hear. Post #3 was pretty solid.

mikeyb74
08-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Update on the oil level sender. Apparently the ECU reflash did not cure the yellow oil light. It started to come on a day ago. While driving and at start down. I've checked the oil level five times yesterday. A couple of times the level was at MAX and other times it was at MIN. And I am getting a burning oil smell. Which I know there is a leak on the passenger side but not sure if it's motor oil or A/C compressor oil.

On a good note the A/C is still blowing ice cold air on both sides.

bimmeryota
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Have you ever replaced the oil separator system? I did that on mine and the oil consumption and actual level variability went down considerably. It didnt help the oil level sensor light coming on but I've never tried to replace it since I check my oil often anyway. I did it somewhat preventatively since it had never been replaced up to 90k and I've heard of them failing and dumping oil into the air intake.

The smell of oil could be coming from the valve cover leaking and dripping down on to the heat shield. Sometimes it could be worse if you park on a grade because it can drip more. Synthetic oil flows well so if it finds a way to get out it will...

mikeyb74
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
The oil separator system was replaced back in November 2010. My car was the guinea pig for Bavauto DIY of the CCV. I had the car in at my indie BMW shop today and come to find out the oil is from a defective axle output seal. Which was replaced three months ago. As for the oil level sender my indie is thinking it's a wiring issue.

mikeyb74
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Would a defective oil pressure sensor cause the amber light from time to time? After two weeks the light comes on.

danewilson77
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
The amber light is oil level sensor...not pressure. The red light is pressure. The level sensor is common problem on e46.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
09-06-2011, 07:26 AM
In my research regarding the amber low oil level light. I've found that the amber light is also trigged by contaminated oil or it simply needs an oil and filter change. When this oil is left in service to long it will bewilder the sensor. In my case the oil is contaminated with what I think is fuel and there is blow by. So the valve seals and piston rings are wearing out. I'm not surprised because the car had BMW recommended services at 15K most of it's life until I bought it back in 02/10. Now it gets an oil change every 5K.

Mike Miller addressed this in Bimmer Mag Tech Q&A in the November 2011 issue.

billschusteriv
09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
The oil separator system was replaced back in November 2010. My car was the guinea pig for Bavauto DIY of the CCV.

I was just going to ask you this question.

In my research regarding the amber low oil level light. I've found that the amber light is also trigged by contaminated oil or it simply needs an oil and filter change. When this oil is left in service to long it will bewilder the sensor. In my case the oil is contaminated with what I think is fuel and there is blow by. So the valve seals and piston rings are wearing out. I'm not surprised because the car had BMW recommended services at 15K most of it's life until I bought it back in 02/10. Now it gets an oil change every 5K.

Mmmmm..... this is good suff.... so have you started getting less amber low oil level lights?

Mike Miller addressed this in Bimmer Mag Tech Q&A in the November 2011 issue.

Where did you find this info? November 2011 Bimmer magazine isn't supposed to be on sale until 9/13?

mikeyb74
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
The amber light comes and goes all the time. It has become very annoying. So part of my daily commute after shutting down the engine I check the oil level when it's still warm and has drained into the pan.

Bill, My work advertises in Bimmer so I got a copy before it hits newsstands. Mike Miller also does a great e46 Market Update in this issue.

So another reason my e46 is driving me mad. I just replaced both control arms, bushings, and the driver's side tie rod. ugh...when is enough, enough?