PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise from RR wheel. (Solved?)

billschusteriv
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Leaving work today I heard a weird rotational noise from the drivers side of the car.

Sounded like a wheel bearing. Kinda. Or like something stuck in the tire.

So before leaving work, I pulled down a side road and did some checks of the tire surfaces. Nothing other than a small stone in the front wheel.

Then I opened the drivers door and hung outside to attempt to narrow it down from front to back. It was the back.

So I checked wheel temperature. Cool as a cucumber.

Then I checked the lug nuts. 3 of 5 loose. Spun freely by hand.

Pulled out the lug wrench from tool kit and tightened.

Noise is gone or undetectable.

Cause: Not checking lugs 500 miles after installing spacers.

Effect: Messed my 'drawers'.

Lesson learned: Check your lugs.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

Oli77
08-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks Bill, heading to the garage now!

Oli77
08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Well all is tight over here.

Your post made me go hmmm, because lately (after I did my total brake job and had to pound on the old rotors to get them off), I have heard a rotational rhythmic noise between 10-20 mph. Very clear in a parking lot, can feel it in the accelerator pedal even.

Wonder if I may have pounded a little ball bearing to death?

danewilson77
08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Dude....I soooooo told you about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oli77
08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I hit it at 12, 6, 3, and 9 o'clock repeatedly but firmly about 3 times and then the rotor came off.

danewilson77
08-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I hit it at 12, 6, 3, and 9 o'clock repeatedly but firmly about 3 times and then the rotor came off.

What?

Oli77
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Sorry Dane I thought you were talking to me.

I realize now you were responding to Bill's original post.

Now that I have your attention though, do you thing that hitting the old rotors off as I indicated above could have busted a bearing?

danewilson77
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
You can jack your bearing, but would have to hit it pretty hard. You in for a rear bearing job....or what?

Oli77
08-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Don't think so, I guess the only thing I am jacking is Bill's thread.

I thought I would just ask if, while pounding on the rotor to replace it, I might have busted my bearing (in the front), because now, I have a rotational, rhythmic noise and feel in the front. Tis all. The original post made me go check my lugnuts and I thought I would ask since the symptoms are similar to Bill's and my nuts were tight.

I will see if it develops further...

danewilson77
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Yes. I think you can def jack your bearing...smacking the rotor...to get it loose.

This is no longer Bill's thread. It is your thread now..hehe.

kayger12
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes. I think you can def jack your bearing...smacking the rotor...to get it loose.

This is no longer Bill's thread. It is your thread now..hehe.

Bill who? :biggrin

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Bill who? :biggrin

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Exactly. Billiki.

billschusteriv
08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Dude....I soooooo told you about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I know. Totally intended on doing after the meet but I forgot.

I normally check lugs after all jobs removing wheels.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

billschusteriv
08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Don't think so, I guess the only thing I am jacking is Bill's thread.

I thought I would just ask if, while pounding on the rotor to replace it, I might have busted my bearing (in the front), because now, I have a rotational, rhythmic noise and feel in the front. Tis all. The original post made me go check my lugnuts and I thought I would ask since the symptoms are similar to Bill's and my nuts were tight.

I will see if it develops further...

Mmmmmm...

After loosening the bolt in the rotor (requires small metric allen wrench), the rotors should "pop" right off.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

danewilson77
08-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Mmmmmm...

After loosening the bolt in the rotor (requires small metric allen wrench), the rotors should "pop" right off.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

Yup....but they do tend to seize up......especially if they are the original rotors and have never been removed.

billschusteriv
09-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Yep. I now remember my rotors on the e30 being a bear to replace after I bought it.

Oh... this is how I had to remove on the e30:

Spray PB Blaster liberally around the bearing/rotor joint and around other mating surfaces. Let soak 30 minutes. Repeat. After two coats, smack from behind at 90 degree intervals with heavy rubber mallet. Take care not to hit anything important. If heavy rubber mallet does not work, feel free to attempt (at your own risk) with heavy roofing hammer as previously described.

Oli77
09-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Yep, I used PB Blaster and soaked it, then waited, then I still had to pound pretty good.

I still have the rotational noise between ~16-22 mph.

I am thinking tires.