PDA

View Full Version : Brake issue?

DirtyPillows
08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
So I was driving to work this morning and had to make a relatively hard brake because some guy decided to switch lanes at last second. However while I was in the state of pressing the brake in I guess there was a change from old to new payment and thus was a bump, nothing extreme. As the car hit the bump I felt the brake pedal push back. This is the second time this happened to me and I have never experienced this on any other car before. Both times the situations were same a heavy braking over a bump (not extreme) resulting in the brake pedal push back against my foot. This is not a light push btw.

Any thoughts? Has someone experienced this before?

kayger12
08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Might just be the abs activating.

Sometimes the rebound off the bump can pull the tire up enough for the wheel to start to lock from lack of friction.

It's just for a millisecond, but it can be enough to change the feedback in the pedal.

I've experienced it countless times both on the track and real world driving at work.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

DirtyPillows
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Hmm, interesting. Well that makes me feel better. For second I thought I broke something.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
08-08-2011, 05:44 PM
A little late to the thread but that has happened to me, too. ABS. Feels like a pulse under your foot.

Smilez
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
What he said. I bet you got scared when the brake pedal pushed back to your feet. Its normal for heavy braking.

DirtyPillows
08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
So when abs kicks in it will push back? I mean when this happens to me I swear it push my foot off the pedal for a split second. I thought abs was more subtle.

kayger12
08-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Nothing too subtle about abs under heavy braking- especially when the friction patch is small. I'd imagine it's the same feedback as usual, but you're pressing so hard on the pedal that it amplifies the feel of the pedal feedback.

I haven't felt the abs in the ZHP yet, but I'm thinking that's what you're feeling.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

az3579
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
The ABS doesn't push your foot off the brake. It will pulsate under your feet, so if you finding yourself letting off the brake, don't. The ABS has no effect if you let off the brake!

It can activate from the most minor occurances, such as very slightly wet pavement/snow, bumps, or even if you hit slight air while braking.