PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on non-OEM C/F Diffuser Install?

johnrando
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm installed a non-OEM (couldn't find OEM) c/f diffuser. The fit is off, so the tabs don't quite grab, so there is a small gap. I figured a little jerry-rigging and some 3M double sided tape would help it hold. Well, the 3M tape has no strength at all and it won't hold. Any ideas as to how to get this to take?

My only thought (unless there was some much stronger tape) would be to drill a hole in the bottom of the bumper, but that would not be my preference

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/SouthBayCities-20110809-00003.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Don't drill into the bumper for a diffuser that doesn't fit. That would be a last resort (for you, too, I suspect).

Personally, I would not put something on the car that doesn't fit very well. In the end, it just looks like a hack job. Your car is too nice looking to deface it like that, Johnny.

johnrando
08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Yup, I'm with you on that (and thanks for the car compliment). The thing is, it really looks good if that dang tape would hold. I pinged bavauto to see when they would get some in stock. Frustrating to sink the cost of the one I bought, but I want it to look right. Hoping someone knows of a stronger tape or something. The screws in the bottom support it from falling off, I just need the gap sealed.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
John, which 3M tape are you using?

johnrando
08-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Clearly the wrong one, lol. Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape.

Sockethead
08-09-2011, 05:20 PM
No matter what kind of tape you use, it will eventually fall off simply because gravity is working against you.
I used a non stock CF diffuser and got it to fit with modifications. Can you explain in greater detail and post a wider shot?

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 06:00 PM
John, I found the best 3M tape. Let me get a link for you. One sec.

GMATT
08-09-2011, 06:21 PM
John...........I have glazing tape (used to do windows) very strong. I am on the wrong coast, but could ship it to you if nothing else works out. It is white tape about 3/8" wide very strong. Let me know.

johnrando
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
No matter what kind of tape you use, it will eventually fall off simply because gravity is working against you.
I used a non stock CF diffuser and got it to fit with modifications. Can you explain in greater detail and post a wider shot?

So the tabs are pointed somewhat downward, instead of horizontal. Plus, it's c/f, not plastic, so it doesn't bend. If they did, I could bend the piece and work it in. Because it doesn't, there is a gap. If there was strong tape, it would hold the gap. But, I am concerned that eventually gravity might get me. See the left side of the pic. Normally the tabs hold it close to the car and the screws at the bottom support it.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/SouthBayCities-20110809-00008.jpg

johnrando
08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
John...........I have glazing tape (used to do windows) very strong. I am on the wrong coast, but could ship it to you if nothing else works out. It is white tape about 3/8" wide very strong. Let me know.

Thanks SO MUCH for the offer! Marcus found some other 3M tape that I'm going to try. Already ordered it. If that doesn't work out, I'll try the glazing tape next. I think in the long run I'm just going to have to eat that purchase, but I'm not giving up yet!

Johal E32
08-09-2011, 06:58 PM
wrap your stock diffuser in some 3M vinyl? You can get some finishes that look like CF

johnrando
08-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Johal, if this doesn't work, I'm going to buy a new OEM black diffuser and have someone c/f wrap mine original one (unless I can find a c/f one that fits but I see nothing in stock). It's just my car OCD in that I want to have OEM parts to convert back to.

Sockethead
08-09-2011, 08:22 PM
So the tabs are pointed somewhat downward, instead of horizontal. Plus, it's c/f, not plastic, so it doesn't bend. If they did, I could bend the piece and work it in. Because it doesn't, there is a gap. If there was strong tape, it would hold the gap. But, I am concerned that eventually gravity might get me. See the left side of the pic. Normally the tabs hold it close to the car and the screws at the bottom support it.

Ok, that looks identical to the one I have. The actual diffuser is made with some funky plastic and CF is an overlay. When they overlay it, the resin builds up on the tabs and top lip they don't fit because they are too damn big.
It took me several hours to get the tabs to fit right. I had to use a flat file and a dremel to reshape the tabs and get top lip to fit in the groove on the bumper
Once I got the tabs to lock in and the lip thin enough, it fit perfectly

Johal E32
08-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Johal, if this doesn't work, I'm going to buy a new OEM black diffuser and have someone c/f wrap mine original one (unless I can find a c/f one that fits but I see nothing in stock). It's just my car OCD in that I want to have OEM parts to convert back to.

yep, it's always nice to have stock back up parts :) If it doen't work out with this diffuser, you could wrap it yourself, it seems like a easy piece to wrap!
Best of luck to getting this situation sorted out!

johnrando
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Many thanks for your help!

johnrando
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Ok, that looks identical to the one I have. The actual diffuser is made with some funky plastic and CF is an overlay. When they overlay it, the resin builds up on the tabs and top lip they don't fit because they are too damn big.
It took me several hours to get the tabs to fit right. I had to use a flat file and a dremel to reshape the tabs and get top lip to fit in the groove on the bumper
Once I got the tabs to lock in and the lip thin enough, it fit perfectly

Unfortunately that's not the case with mine. The tabs fit, it's just that they are pointed in the wrong direction and the piece is not flexible enough to get them bent up to slip into the groove. It's so close, but just not quite. I even broke a tab trying to bend it up. I appreciate you posting your experience and ideas though.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 10:59 PM
John, here is the tape.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO9L00?tag=zhpcom-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B000BO9L00&adid=1SNS9XEQ83T26PTRA077&

Free shipping.

wsmeyer
08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I saw the piece the other day when we changed his cowl. The root of the problem is that the piece is carbon fiber wrapped fiberglass. Those tabs, just approx from memory, are about 20mm wide and 3mm thick. Considering that they have to flex slightly to snap into the mounting sockets I think that fiberglass was an extremely poor choice of base material as it is not flexible and is fairly brittle at that thickness.

If it was my car and the piece fit perfectly otherwise, I would just bond it in place as it's not something that I would likely ever want to remove anyway.

William.

johnrando
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
The "extra" strong 3M tape didn't work either. Looks like it's time for a new diffuser.

Sockethead
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
The "extra" strong 3M tape didn't work either. Looks like it's time for a new diffuser.
Dude, that sucks....maybe try some heat to bend the tabs up as a last resort?

Hornung418
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Was just gonna suggest getting out the heat gun/ hair dryer.

johnrando
08-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Hadn't thought about a heat gun, I'll try that, thanks!

EDIT: I read up on this online, and apparently you can't reshape fiberglass with heat. "You will not be able to bend the fiberglass with heat, it is chemically set, not heat set." A few other people said the same thing. One person did say you could to it with A LOT of heat, but it would likely damage other things.