PDA

View Full Version : Stutter when cruising

static667
08-12-2011, 03:10 AM
My car is having some issues. When I'm just riding along, at a steady speed, then go to give it a little gas to maintain, it stutters. Kinda like the fuel was getting cut out real quick. It happened a few times this morning. Seems like it only when my is "cold". I'm thinking its the fuel filter. What do y'all think?

This is not a reassuring thing right before a 1,000+ mile road trip.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

kayger12
08-12-2011, 03:32 AM
How old are the plugs?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

billschusteriv
08-12-2011, 03:35 AM
How old are the plugs?

This.

Are you throwing any codes?

I also like adding BMW (or another decent brand) fuel system treatment every couple thousand miles.

static667
08-12-2011, 06:38 AM
I have no idea how old the plugs are. The PO said that he had the 100k service done so I'm guessing its close to 38k on them.

static667
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
And no codes. It accelerates fine other than the occasional stutter. :dunno

bimmeryota
08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Mine did that right before the fuel pump went kaput...

edit: same thing happened to our e36. You may want to just buy one and keep it handy, it's pretty easy to do with basic tools in a parking lot. I did a write up on the e36 replacement on BMWmafia. http://www.bmwmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?820-E36-no-start

pretty much the same as an e46...

llll1l1ll
08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm gonna vote fuel pump on this one.

static667
08-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I'll have to pick one up to take along. I hope plugs and filter help and I don't need it.

ranger
09-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Did this ever get resolved. I have a similar issue with my ZHP. Mine has new plugs.

BCS_ZHP
09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Ranger,
Try cleaning the DISA valve, a can of carb cleaner and stutters are gone with acceleration improving.

zj96sc
09-26-2011, 06:54 AM
to the op's condition description: my wife's 4runner was doing this exact thing and it was ancient plugs and bad wires. those two plus a new fuel filter and it was running like new. since we dont have plug wires i'll vote plugs and a filter and you'll be all set.

if you've got new plugs and you have these symptoms, i got nothin.

Chad44
10-13-2011, 07:04 PM
My car has a stumble/stutter from about 2k-3k, I have done a number of things that have not changed it. I have a new fuel pump in it 2 weeks old, new disa valve, rebuilt vanos with beisan seals, battery and voltage is good, no engine codes (not even discrete ones), I notice it mostly when cruising in 6th gear... when it pulls from 2k up to 3k it has a slow like rocking feeling as the power surges very slightly.
Is yours like that? or different?

I have been thinking about getting the software upgraded to the newest version, just have to find out where I can get it done for a reasonable price... the indy i talked to said it would be about $400 to update the software which seems crazy, but let me know if that's normal...

kayger12
10-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Definitely sounds like it could be a software issue.

Mine doesn't do that.

MrMaico
10-14-2011, 01:36 PM
My car has a stumble/stutter from about 2k-3k, I have done a number of things that have not changed it. I have a new fuel pump in it 2 weeks old, new disa valve, rebuilt vanos with beisan seals, battery and voltage is good, no engine codes (not even discrete ones), I notice it mostly when cruising in 6th gear... when it pulls from 2k up to 3k it has a slow like rocking feeling as the power surges very slightly.
Is yours like that? or different?

I have been thinking about getting the software upgraded to the newest version, just have to find out where I can get it done for a reasonable price... the indy i talked to said it would be about $400 to update the software which seems crazy, but let me know if that's normal...

Yup, I'd bet it's software too. $400 is crazy though. $100 or so is more like it. Mine did it from 2800 til 3000 in the higher gears.

midlandtech
10-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe a coil? Mine was sputtering and I finally got it to throw a code cylinder 1 had a miss fire I replaced the coil and 6 plugs and it runs like a champ

Chad44
11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Sure enough- it was the software... Dealer did it for $200, and the car feels like a different car all together, never mind the stutter, it feels a bit more torquey across the rpm- wish I had done this earlier in the year, I may have been able to take 3rd in autocross instead of 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echo46
11-30-2011, 06:09 AM
Could some tell me the name of the latest version. I know my car's DME software was updated in or about 2010 and wondering if I have the latest version. I have no acceleration issues so I think I'm good.

aurelius
11-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Last I looked into it, the latest version was 7561520 and was older than 2010.

static667
11-30-2011, 08:03 AM
The stutter issue I have only happens rarely, but it seems like I have no real acceleration before 4k RPMS. Kinda like my old E36 with single VANOS. Could this be related to crappy factory seals that need replacing?

aurelius
11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
...I have no real acceleration before 4k RPMS.

Likely way overdue for VANOS rehab.

das boots
11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Sure enough- it was the software... Dealer did it for $200, and the car feels like a different car all together, never mind the stutter, it feels a bit more torquey across the rpm- wish I had done this earlier in the year, I may have been able to take 3rd in autocross instead of 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were there any indications from the cluster info that a software update is required? What made you decide to think that it was a software problem?

Chad44
12-01-2011, 04:11 PM
No, there weren't even saved codes most of the time when it stalled out... In my searching, I found that updating the software fixed the primary problem that I was annoyed with, which was a surging from 2500-3000 rpm. I had felt that there was a lack of torque, and rebuilt my vanos, expecting that to fix it, but it made little to no difference since I had no rattle prior. I personally chased down every thing I could in resolving it, for me, the software was the next step in a long list. What I would say is that if you are not having software related problems, but have the old software anyway, I would expect you to have problems in the future, as the update primarily addressed narrow adaptation values for reading the O2 sensors, the values change as the DME, wiring, connections diminish over time.

das boots
12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Could you explain on exactly what they did to "update" your software? I had the car plugged in at the dealer to read and clear all codes when we had our tech session and the master tech did not mention anything about updated software.....just wondering.

Chad44
12-02-2011, 07:28 AM
The software is completely separate from clearing codes- from my understanding, they can't even tell what software version you have until they plug you in and your car is linked to the database in Germany, which tells the tech if you need an update. I believe the last update was released sometime in 2009, but I don't have that info readily available to tell you for sure.

das boots
12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Okay, thanks.

jreyes19
12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I just called the dealer and they run your VIN to see any and all work done through any BMW dealer, unless it was updated by a Indy mech then they should know for sure if you have it or not :)