PDA

View Full Version : NY Inspection Station Nonsense - A Saddening Review

echo46
08-16-2011, 09:28 AM
So today I took the ZHP for its annual NYS $37 inspection at a local service station. A number family and friends use the station and have given it the thumbs up. Usually, when I have an issue outside my DIY expertise, I take my car to a BMW/Land Rover indy who is very honest and a great mechanic. I also usually have him do my inspections. However, I was a bit lazy this time and the place is right around the corner.

Anyway, guy says I can wait as it will only take a couple of minutes. Well I'm waiting about 45 minutes when one of the mechanics comes out and shows me a light bulb which he had pulled from the license plate bulb housing. He said the housing was very corroded and when he tried to replace the bulb it still failed to function. He took me to the car and showed me where he had unscrewed the entire "mini" spoiler which houses the license plate lights and trunk release. He opined that the bulb short circuited and melted to the trunk. I looked and looked but I could not see where it "melted" to the trunk.

Well then he and the owner huddled up with me and informed me that I will have to buy a whole new "mini" spoiler as BMW does make the individual license plate bulb housings as replacements. I said that is hard to believe, but he insisted. He then tells me that BMW only makes it in a matte black and that you have to get it painted. Also, that the one on my car is matte black. I stood there looking at my Orient blue "mini" spoiler not knowing what to say. He told me that the mini spoiler would cost about $100 and another $100 to get it painted. Deep down I knew this could not be, didn't make sense. I thought to myself that I must look like a real jackass to this guy. Well, I thanked him and took my car home.

I got home and looked the license plate housing and bulb up on Pelican Parts and found the white housing for the bulb for $6.95. The housing apparently just pops out and is easily replaced. Still dumbfounded. If I didn't know anything I probably would have told him to go ahead and order the parts.

danewilson77
08-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Bullshit.

Alphatek45
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd go back in with the parts and receipts when you get them.
Then tell him that you will instruct everyone you know not to do business with him.
But that's just me...

Marcus-SanDiego
08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't cuss much, but let me just say this: fucking criminal!

This is why I loved being an investigative reporter. Nothing I hate more than people trying to take advantage of others. Worse, this asshole is screwing with one of our mafia peeps.

:mad

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Wow.

Ryans323i
08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
He must have thought your name was Ben Dover. I would definitely spread the word for others to avoid that place like the plague.

danewilson77
08-16-2011, 10:26 AM
He must have thought your name was Ben Dover.

:rofl

We have a place to write up reviews here....just sayin.

echo46
08-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I learned my lesson, either do it myself or take it to someone I really trust. It was kind of odd the way they were parading around the shop with a burned out light bulb pontificating about the woes of owning such an expensive car to maintain. Obviously they had no idea what we all already know, ZHP's are not that special:))

Marcus-SanDiego
08-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Dw, feel free to move this to review section. Also add review to title. Thanks, sir.

---

danewilson77
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Dw, feel free to move this to review section. Also add review to title. Thanks, sir.

---

Done!

billschusteriv
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
That sucks man. Glad to hear you left that place quickly. I'd be certain to warn my family and friends about that place.

FWIW, I noted a similar problem with one of my license plate lights not working and the other light dimly lit. But just as you stated, I just unscrewed and removed the light housing for access to both bulbs. I replaced both bulbs with LED bulbs from Khoalty (super bright :thumbsup), but waited on the housing because I wasn't going to pay Tischer $14 to ship me two light housings that cost $14. Tischer now offers $7.95 priority mail shipping on orders under $75 for "smaller" parts.

echo46
08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry I posted in the wrong section guys. Bill, thanks, I will check out Tischer for the housings. Good to know about the shipping.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
It's not in the wrong area. But I think we have an even better place for it.

No worries, brother.

---

billschusteriv
08-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Sorry I posted in the wrong section guys. Bill, thanks, I will check out Tischer for the housings. Good to know about the shipping.

Anytime. Hope it helps.

BTW, if you want an "upgrade", I think some guys on here and BF.c have gone with Weisslicht housings and LED kit. These are available on Bimmian. I opted not to go this route yet - I had other fires cooking.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

echo46
08-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Going to check those out right now, thanks

Hornung418
08-16-2011, 04:36 PM
So a guy went ahead and unscrewed your trunk handle and then broke the housing? This is the shit that pisses me off. Nobody touches my car before I give them the okay. Thank god I can DIY this car. Go back there, tell the owner his employee is a douche and then kindly tell him you'll never visit his shop again.

danewilson77
08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
The guy is a butthole.

Oli77
08-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I can understand people being in a situation where they need to make ends meet (tough times now days), but for a business to lie to you in order to pressure a sale, that's just wrong. I would do like others have suggested and go back there with your receipt for the $7 part.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-16-2011, 05:24 PM
What is the name of the local service station that did this?

echo46
08-17-2011, 08:24 AM
I will drive by it today and get the name and post it up.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Great. Thanks. I will then add it to the thread title.

Stu
08-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Wow. What a moron.

Yeah, the bulb lens comes out with a screwdriver pry in one of the pry corners. Takes 10 seconds to replace a bulb. How in the hell did an inspection guy not know that?!

He then tells me that BMW only makes it in a matte black and that you have to get it painted. Also, that the one on my car is matte black. I stood there looking at my Orient blue "mini" spoiler not knowing what to say.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

danewilson77
08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
JW77 took the wifeys ML350 in for VA annual inspection today. I just did fresh tires and brakes. They say the wipers won't work, look at JW like he's a dumbass and slap a red "rejected" sticker on it. Before he leaves....he calls me, and I tell him to check fuses...etc......but....the 18 year old figured it out himself. They didn't shut the hood all the way. They took it back in...after he told them, and put the proper sticker on it..in it's proper place. Dumbasses!

Marcus-SanDiego
08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
My goodness. These people really suck.

danewilson77
08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
My goodness. These people really suck.

hehe...the friggen wiper arm was hitting the hood...and they didn't see it. It's laughable.

billschusteriv
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
JW77 took the wifeys ML350 in for VA annual inspection today. I just did fresh tires and brakes. They say the wipers won't work, look at JW like he's a dumbass and slap a red "rejected" sticker on it. Before he leaves....he calls me, and I tell him to check fuses...etc......but....the 18 year old figured it out himself. They didn't shut the hood all the way. They took it back in...after he told them, and put the proper sticker on it..in it's proper place. Dumbasses!

:facepalm

Do we need an inspection horror story thread? :dunno I had a Toyota dealership scrape a patch I did off of the radiator in my 4Runner during an inspection. They claimed the radiator was 'squirting fluid' and they couldn't pressurize the system -> therefore, I 'needed' a new radiator and received a $1000 estimate. I wanted to know why they'd pressurize the system for an inspection, how the area around my patch got scratched and shiny, and why I didn't see puddles or steam before the inspection.

echo46
08-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Wow, I'm starting to feel a bit better as I'm not alone. Stay vigilant my wiseguy brethren.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't forget to get me the name of this place when you have it.

gr330zhp
08-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Wow all these horror stories. I heard in some.states they have inspection stations onlybat the DMV, where its just a bunch morons in a bay rejecting anything.

In Maine you just take it to your indy :dunno I just got mine at the BMW dealership fo' freee! :biggrin

Sent from my HTC Desire, Like a BOSS!