PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Regarding rokkor coilovers

Dean
08-23-2011, 11:34 AM
So, I posted in a couple of forums complaining of a clunking after installing my rokkor coilovers. I couldn't stand the sound anymore and remove them and replaced the rears with the oem sport spring. The sound was completely gone...Upon investigation, it seemed the first coil from the top and bottom were binding with the respectable coil above and below itself, causing that terrible clunk.

Apparently no one else has this issue, or has admitted it, so i did more research.

I decided to use a spring rate calculator as suggested by Jay at Ground control

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

Supposed to calculate spring rate within 5% for any spring less than 2000 dollars. After punching in all the numbers and measuring twice over to confirm..The numbers were extremely disappointing.

Fronts came out to 240lb, whilst the rears came out to 120lb........Now the rears ARE progressive whilst the fronts are linear, which makes calculation error possible..However, even giving that calculation 100lbs of margin still only sits the spring at 220lb.

Advertised rates? A JOKE. I am replacing the fronts and rears with hypercoil springs in the rokkor housings and will post results...Just thought Id throw some of my knowledge out there.

danewilson77
08-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Great, great post. Thanks for the info Dean.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT