PDA

View Full Version : So when/if BMW COUPE windows freeze...

Washburn
12-14-2010, 06:08 PM
So we all know that the coupe windows have to retract / "drop" before when they are opened, right, and in order for the door to close, they have to be in that position...
I have always wondered what happens when windows freeze and DO NOT drop down, because then they can't be closed, right?

Well this morning, i opened the door and the didn't hear the familiar "drop"/retract noise, and i didn't know what to do really. I closed the door gently, and it felt like the door closed like normal. However the window would not roll down for 10 min or so, after that when the car got warm, windows operated like normal...

I might have been lucky? or am I just WRONG? I mean perhaps the door/window CAN close without it being "dropped" ???

Is there anything other than applying something like Gummipflege to the rubber seals that can prevent this?
Shall I spray de-icer along the edges before pulling the door open, and/or let the car warm up? (which I don't want to do)...

Any ideas?

Thanks...

kayger12
12-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Keeping an eye on this for responses as the temp drops here.....

kayger12
12-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Ok-- did some searching and came up with this

Showing products for 2005 330Ci.

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/imglib500/as_6500.jpg
Keep your doors and trunk from freezing shut! Simply coat the rubber gaskets around your doors and trunk with Autosol's "Gummi-Pflege". It prevents ice crystals from forming between the gaskets and freezing together. 75 ml

Part number AS6500

az3579
12-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I would try the deicer on the seals. It's the only thing I can think of that it could freeze to. I'm sure it was just the cold.
I thought for a second that you window regular went. lol

Washburn
12-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah I might get that Autosol product - Thanks!

How was I able to close the door without breaking the window, though? it closed like normal, even without the 1/2" drop of the glass window...

danewilson77
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah...try to prevent the freeze. They gotta drop....

Kudos
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Lol, looks like people don't respond to my posts, I asked the same thing, it happens to me as well. Basically too much pressure is holding the window up which doesn't allow for the window to drop. What ends up happening is your glass will tilt slightly, depending on how low it sits. On my drivers side, the glass is actually lower than passenger and thus only needs to drop a mil in order to clear the black covering the windows. I've only had this happen when it snows and then obviously freezes over.

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 03:01 PM
^No offense intended.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Lol, looks like people don't respond to my posts, I asked the same thing, it happens to me as well. Basically too much pressure is holding the window up which doesn't allow for the window to drop. What ends up happening is your glass will tilt slightly, depending on how low it sits. On my drivers side, the glass is actually lower than passenger and thus only needs to drop a mil in order to clear the black covering the windows. I've only had this happen when it snows and then obviously freezes over.

Kudos, you know we love you!

Kudos
12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I know, I know, I guess I was just the first guy hit with snow, and thus I posted on e46f and here. Guess now you guys have to feel the wrath of cold weather too. No problems from me, I have below freezing temps and I think my windows just got used to it?*shrug*

Washburn
12-20-2010, 02:06 PM
After my 1st episode, it never happened again...I'll be watching it though - that liquid gummi-pflege will be ordered today.