PDA

View Full Version : So tell me more about the Conforti Shark Injector

webster
08-26-2011, 06:31 AM
for those of you who've used this, how easy is it to install/use? for someone with little automotive/mechanical experience, is it a pretty simple DIY?

i have also read that it requires a 10+amp battery charger to install (which i don't have) and ordering one adds $90 to the cost...wondering if it's better to just have it done at a shop and pay the labor which would essentially cancel out the cost of the battery charger (if a shop would even do this?)

thanks!

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Very simple. Great mod. Buy a constant voltage battery charger.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1471-Shark-Injector-Information-Event.&p=28498

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 06:54 AM
^ this guy knows.

We've got some great reviews for this product on here. Seems like the constant voltage battery charger and following directions are key (no opening doors during install).

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Yeah....just explicitly follow the directions that come with it.

webster
08-26-2011, 07:02 AM
i read in that thread that one guy just ran jumper cables from a running car to the battery instead of using a charger...seems like a good way around the purchase of a battery charger i would rarely if ever use besides for this one purpose. thoughts on that? is it risky? better off just biting the bullet on the extra $100?

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
That is pretty risky. You need a constant voltage - any spikes or dips and you could screw up your DME.

Not sure this is how the integrated system works on a BMW, but I came up with a few scenarios. Say you hook up jumper cables and you start the other "donor" car... now you've got "constant" voltage. The donor car starts the aux fan because its getting hot... BAM! Voltage dip. The donor car gets hot and opens up the thermostat - through the water pump this will likely affect the load on the engine, causing the engine RPM to dip and return to normal. This, in turn, will cause the alternator to speed up and slow down. BAM! Change in Voltage.

Not that I'm dissuading you from trying it... but I wouldn't recommend it.

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 07:25 AM
I saw on another message board that there is a charger from Sears that is recommended in the instructions. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, that charger is on sale right now for $45.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871222000P?mv=rr

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 07:29 AM
10. To ensure a constant voltage for proper operation of the Shark Injector™, attach a high quality battery
charger (ex: Vector 1090A or Sears DieHard 71230, 310, 320, etc.) to the vehicle, at the battery itself,
observing all necessary safety precautions such as the wearing of safety goggles;

11. Turn charger on at a minimum of the 10 amp setting (20 amp setting if your vehicle is equipped with
Daytime Running Lights – DRL’s) and ensure that charging is occurring;

12. The importance of proper battery voltage cannot be emphasized enough. Failure to maintain proper
battery voltage throughout the procedure may result in an inoperable vehicle, where the only solution
would be the physical replacement of control modules at owner expense. Voltage below 12.5v as a
minimum can cause permanent failure. Owners should evaluate the age and condition of the vehicle
battery before proceeding;

NOTE: so-called “trickle chargers” or chargers that shut down after a certain period of time are not
acceptable. The charger must be on and provide a continuous 10-20amp charge throughout the procedure!

Hmmm....

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 07:32 AM
DieHard 71230, $89.99 (on sale @ Sears.com)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871230000P?keyword=diehard+71230&sLevel=0&prop17=diehard%2071230

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Vector 1090A, $62.39

http://store.boatandrvaccessories.com/f007.html

webster
08-26-2011, 07:43 AM
vector looks like the best deal, thanks for the links.

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Remember....it can't be automatic...and has to be constant.

billschusteriv
08-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Remember....it can't be automatic...and has to be constant.

My bad. Forgot to emphasize that it having a manual mode is importante.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
My bad. Forgot to emphasize that it having a manual mode is importante.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

No worries Bill. It was just that first one was an auto.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
08-26-2011, 09:08 PM
just bought the injector and battery charger from turnersports. uh oh:shifty

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Noice

static667
08-27-2011, 03:55 AM
just bought the injector and battery charger from turnersports. uh oh:shifty

Winning!

webster
09-03-2011, 05:07 PM
okay so help!!

i've been trying to install the shark all day and have been unsuccessful. i bought the package from turner motorsports which includes the shark + battery charger. when i connected the the battery charger, it was set to 10amp output and the adjacent switch was set to normal. so i follow the instructions to the absolute letter and on the first try i get the 123 error code (vehicle voltage too low). i then let the battery charge for about an hour. then i tried again, same error. then i realized that the switch on the charger for the setting between DEEP CYCLE and STARTING BATTERY was set to the deep cycle option. so i thought maybe that's it, changed the setting to starting battery, and let it charge for approx another hour before trying again. same 123 error code from the shark unit.

so then i figure it's gotta be the battery. i figure it's the original OEM battery, so it probably needs replacing anyway. drive down to autozone and $175 later i have a new battery. so i just got home and followed the instructions, again, exactly as listed and again am having the same 123 error code. the only other thing i can do is to change the one switch that toggles between NORMAL and CRANK ASSIST (12v/55amp). but the 55amp seems pretty high, and in the manual for the charger it says this setting is for engine starting only...so i'm not sure what to do from here. any help would be awesome! here is a pic of the charger i'm using and the switches i'm talking about...

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8532/batterystarter.jpg

danewilson77
09-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Voltage needs to be constant 12 to 12.5 volts. Hold old is your battery?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-03-2011, 05:22 PM
i just installed a brand new one. don't have a voltage meter but you can't get much more charged than brand new right?

wondering if i should just try it with the right switch toggled to the 12v/55amp setting...

also i have the red cable clasp from the charger connected to the red terminal under the hood and the black connected to the little black post to the left. that's the right way to charge the battery, correct?

thanks for the quick response. i'm dying to get this done tonight!

danewilson77
09-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Yes....try the 12v/55 amp setting. Doesn't the manual say it needs to be at least 12v? I may be recalling something Jim or the Turner boys said to me.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes....try the 12v/55 amp setting. Doesn't the manual say it needs to be at least 12v? I may be recalling something Jim or the Turner boys said to me.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

just tried it on this setting, still got the 123 error msg. arrrrgh. i guess time to call/email turner? maybe the shark unit itself or the charger is defective? maybe the garage outlet isn't providing enough power? i should have known something would go wrong with this damn thing. except now im in well over $600 on this project...stupid mod fever

danewilson77
09-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Your car won't start now, will it?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-03-2011, 06:06 PM
it starts up just fine. runs like normal.

just closed everything down for the night. now when i went to turn off the charger i noticed the power light was off even though it was still plugged in! tried flipping the switches a few times and nothing. so now the $90 battery charger i bought seems to be dead. no power at all. did i fry it from running it for a few hours?

another thing to consider i guess is the DRL, i don't think i have them, how do i know for sure?

man i feel like pulling out my hair right now. what an extremely frustrating day. guess that comes with the territory when trying to DIY stuff, right?

danewilson77
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
it starts up just fine. runs like normal.

Ok....yeah....call TMS first thing Monday.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-03-2011, 06:14 PM
you mean tuesday :( monday is a holiday.

danewilson77
09-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah..I don't think themes anything else you can do.

They told me to take my negative and positive cable terminals and tie them together for 5 minutes then try again. Supposed to get rid of any minor, stray electrical current that may be lurking.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

webster
09-04-2011, 07:09 AM
so i'm starting to think it's the charger they sent me. i think it's just a crappy battery charger. has anyone else used the one i posted a picture of above? i don't think it has enough amps or voltage to support this install...

wondering if i should drive to sears and buy a heavy duty one, do the shark install, and return it back to sears same day.

aurelius
09-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Typically, anything thru which electrical current passes is a non-returnable item. FYI on the Sears strategy.

With all this stuff disconnected, have a look at your interior light near the sunroof switch as you start the motor. If it dims, that's a sign you need a new voltage regulator (VR).

Report back and I'll link to some useful VR info if it seems like you need it.

webster
09-04-2011, 08:22 AM
okay so problem SOLVED!!

i searched around some on e46 fanatics and found one thread where a guy recommended hooking up the charger directly to the battery in the trunk, instead of using the terminal posts underhood. i don't know why my dumbass didn't think of that last night! so i did that and the shark install went off without a hitch.

just took a spirited drive down the freeway, gassed it up, and drove home. curious to see how fuel economy changes. i can definitely feel an improved low-end throttle response. no more of that slight stumble off idle. shifting seems smoother as well. overall, even after one short drive, i'm pretty happy with how the car feels as a result of this mod. will report back after more driving.

thanks for the input guys.

aurelius
09-04-2011, 10:52 AM
For future ref., DRLs are daytime running lights. Any e46 can be programmed to turn them on or off.

Download the E46 car/key options worksheet here:

http://db.tt/hdqyfJg

danewilson77
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
okay so problem SOLVED!!

i searched around some on e46 fanatics and found one thread where a guy recommended hooking up the charger directly to the battery in the trunk, instead of using the terminal posts underhood. i don't know why my dumbass didn't think of that last night! so i did that and the shark install went off without a hitch.

just took a spirited drive down the freeway, gassed it up, and drove home. curious to see how fuel economy changes. i can definitely feel an improved low-end throttle response. no more of that slight stumble off idle. shifting seems smoother as well. overall, even after one short drive, i'm pretty happy with how the car feels as a result of this mod. will report back after more driving.

I guess I didn't know where you were hooked in....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
09-04-2011, 02:59 PM
okay so problem SOLVED!!

Great news. Keep us posted.

webster
09-05-2011, 08:07 PM
so since i last filled up, here are some early fuel economy readings. not even a 1/4 tank gone and 103 on the trip clock. pretty freaking good.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/981/20110905222854.jpg

the difference before and after the shark install is huge. surprisingly so, i must say.

VA//M3
09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
^ what does your MPG OBC say?

webster
09-05-2011, 08:34 PM
as of 10:15pm tonight, 22.9. that is up from a reading of 20.5 taken right before the shark install (yesterday at 11am). i imagine it will only continue going up until it reaches 25 mpg or so. i drive pretty conservatively around town.

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Yup...that's what I'm running. About 25-26 mpg with Shark and AFE, clean fuel filter, new fuel pump, and fresh plugs.

jayjay_dee
09-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Daym, I need to get sharked....

VA//M3
09-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm running Euro 3, and pulleys and get 26.4 mpg combined.

Hornung418
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Does the Shark Injector only work with USDM tunes? What's the inherent risk of Sharking on a Euro tune?

danewilson77
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Does the Shark Injector only work with USDM tunes? What's the inherent risk of Sharking on a Euro tune?

It will over write the euro tune, but I believe the euro tune will be saved in the Shark.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

VA//M3
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
It's actually

http://i.imgur.com/JQiqc.jpg

danewilson77
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
It's actually

http://i.imgur.com/JQiqc.jpg

Nice. VA...will you confirm my answer above please?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

VA//M3
09-12-2011, 08:54 AM
It will over write the euro tune, but I believe the euro tune will be saved in the Shark.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

That is correct. That is assuming the shark injector actually back up your current DME version and not just has a stored copy of the latest US tune stored inside of it for restore purposes.

jayjay_dee
09-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Daym, I need to get sharked....

after more researching, found out its a no go for me and for everybody with auto trans...

is there any similar product that caters ZHP with just two pedals? AA maybe?

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
after more researching, found out its a no go for me and for everybody with auto trans...

Not true. It is compatible with auto. You just lose some of the bennies.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

MrMaico
09-18-2011, 06:47 AM
From the Turner FAQ.....

Will the Shark Injector work on a Euro-spec car?
No. European-spec cars – and the software used on them – are not available in the U.S. The software in a
European DME will be different than on a US car and the Injector will not install. The Shark Injector works on
cars that are sold for the U.S. and Canadian markets only.
For US-spec cars in a foreign country (people in the military, business overseas, etc) it is recommended NOT
to have the local BMW dealer perform any software updates on your car. This can lead to the Shark Injector
not re-installing after the BMW update. BMW may have different versions of their software in a foreign country
than in the U.S. and Canada.

Hornung418
09-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks, Barry! I'll have to get the latest US Spec software before I can shark it :(

EDIT: I hope anybody who has the Shark Injector is aware that JC is almost ready to release the SharkEdit!!
:danehappy

danewilson77
09-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks, Barry! I'll have to get the latest US Spec software before I can shark it :(

EDIT: I hope anybody who has the Shark Injector is aware that JC is almost ready to release the SharkEdit!!
:danehappy

Sweet. What are the capabilities with that?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
09-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Shark Edit FAQ (http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/sharkedt/SEFAQ.pdf)

There was a video explaining the idea behind it out there, but I can't seem to find it.

danewilson77
09-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Shark Edit FAQ (http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/sharkedt/SEFAQ.pdf)

There was a video explaining the idea behind it out there, but I can't seem to find it.

Federal pound-me-In-the-@$$ prison....lol. Jim kills me.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
09-18-2011, 10:43 PM

AA works for autos.

jayjay_dee
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Not true. It is compatible with auto. You just lose some of the bennies.

Dane, I read a post confirming Conforti didnt release the Shark injector for automatic 330i, once i find that post again ill share you the link...

Plus, all vendors have a "NOTE" saying Shark Injectors will not work for 330i auto.

jayjay_dee
09-19-2011, 01:23 PM
AA works for autos.

thanks, i will do more research on this...

if you have more info about AA that you can share, you're very much welcome...

johnrando
09-19-2011, 11:05 PM
thanks, i will do more research on this...

if you have more info about AA that you can share, you're very much welcome...

See Post #28
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2047-AA-Group-Buy-300

I'll add that my daily street driving gas mileage went up from 16+ to 19+. Also, if you don't have a local dealer who can install it, you send your DME to AA, the load the s/w, then send it back.

Chad44
11-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I scheduled my car to see the dealer next week foe the DME to be updated to the latest software to fix stumbles, and surging at 2500-3000. Is it foolish to do that then get the shark? Does the shark override the factory tune or modify it? If it completely loads it from a base spec of the latest software (2009) I will cancel my dealer trip and just order the shark. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornung418
11-09-2011, 11:22 PM
No it works in conjunction with the US MS45.1 DME. You'll be fine with it, either way you're going to want to modify BEFORE the tune :)

Chad44
11-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Right, I know I have the ms45.1, but does the shark flash the firmware completely or modify the base firmware that is in the car? Basically if I buy the shark now and install it, will I be running on an old firmware that is modified with the shark, or will it be the newer firmware plus tuning that I will have loaded to my car?

MrMaico
11-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Right, I know I have the ms45.1, but does the shark flash the firmware completely or modify the base firmware that is in the car? Basically if I buy the shark now and install it, will I be running on an old firmware that is modified with the shark, or will it be the newer firmware plus tuning that I will have loaded to my car?

I think I would get the latest firmware to cure the 2800 rpm miss before installing the Shark. I can't answer your question as far as how much of the original software it changes but I would have to think that the Shark was designed using the latest BMW base software as a starting point. That's all really just speculation on my part though.

AzkotikBMW
11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Does the Shark get rid of the SES light if the car has non-stock headers?

I know the AA tune WILL do this if you specify that you have non-stock headers and curious if the Shark will do the same.

Chad44
11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
I called Turner, and they told me to get the update then buy the Shark, as it modifies the existing code. Thanks for the responses.

Hornung418
11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Does the Shark get rid of the SES light if the car has non-stock headers?

I know the AA tune WILL do this if you specify that you have non-stock headers and curious if the Shark will do the same.
Not gonna happen. You'd have to get the edit for that. But if you want to get rid of the SES, you should get an Innovate LM-2 wideband Oxygen simulator. There's a wealth of info over on e46Fanatics.

LivesNearCostco
11-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know if the Shark Injector gives a bigger power boost to the ZHP than to a regular E46 330? Or if it affects the post March 2003 E46 330s differently from the <Feb2003 330s? I had always (well for the last 24 months) assumed that the Shark Injector gave the same benefit to all E46 330's, that is about +4HP by itself and somewhere between +4 and +12HP when combined with an intake. But recently saw a new marketing blurb or dyno chart on the Turner web site that suggests the boost is higher on the ZHP. Now I'm just so confused! :blink

This page says: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E46/c-15-bmw-engine-chips-software.aspx
--Regular 325, +7HP
--Regular 330, +4HP
--ZHP 2004-2006, +14HP

And if I have a 2003 ZHP (built August 2003), does that mean I only get the +4HP?

webster
11-15-2011, 03:31 PM
the ZHP engine is the same regardless of 03 v 04 year models. based on that, i would assume the HP and torque gains listed for the ZHP apply to all year models. i see what you are saying though, the turner site is a little confusing in that regard.

i don't know if my butt dyno would agree with a 14hp gain...but then again, how often am i reving to 6000 RPMs driving around town? hell i usually keep it below 3000 around town.

the shark's best benefit is the smoother throttle response and engine reving in 1st and 2nd gears. driving a sharked ZHP next to stock one back to back feels like night and day. especially in stop and go driving.

Hornung418
11-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the fact that the ZHP already has a 10 hp gain over the ZSP 330, that they are factoring in the extra HP so 10 + 4 = 14...I could be wrong.

MS45.1 is very finicky, so JC may have found some hidden power :dunno

LivesNearCostco
11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Looking at the dyno sheets again, they show
E46 325: Shark+intake: +8 WHP
E46 330: Shark+intake: +7 WHP (193.5 --> 201.6)
E46 ZHP: +14 WHP (190.4 --> 204.9)

I'm gonna assume the ZHP +14 gains are also for Shark + intake. Note that the baseline (stock) dyno for the ZHP starts 3 WHP lower than the regular E46 330. Of course it could have been a different dyno on a different day. Wonder if heavier wheels result in a lower dyno number? In any case, ME WANT! But so many other things on the shopping list.

johnrando
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Two reasons I picked AA over Shark is that originally Shark had documentation that it doesn't work with automatics, and that it's not legal in CA. Now I recently read that it does work with autos. This doesn't address your question but since you are in CA, you might want to verify the CA part.

LivesNearCostco
11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
I hear the Shark Injector still doesn't work with E46 330 autos built after some year, perhaps after 2002? I don't recall hearing whether it is or isn't legal in California. If it makes my car fail the tailpipe test, I can deshark the car, get smogged, then re-shark afterwards.

Here's one reason I've been wanting a tune and intake... On my 8th track day (AutoClub Speedway), I pointed by a yellow E36 M3 on the front straight then floor the gas. He's faster than me in the turns--better driver, better suspension, or both--but he easily walks away from me on the straight, where it's all about power to weight ratio. s just got more torque (or less weight). In another lap I'm exiting the straight and it just seems to take forever (14 seconds) to go from 80 to 110.

ACS yellow E36 M3 point-by:
10:07 I enter straight at 80mph and ease off the gas to let him pass
10:11 He passes me (I'm doing 85mph) and I floor the gas
10:22 I'm going about 115 and he's like 200 yards ahead of me
22:04 enter straight at 80mph
22:13 hit 100mph (9 seconds from 80 to 100mph)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K14Be4B2GA

ACS front straight, 80-110mph. At 3:00 I go flat on the gas at 80mph. ~9 seconds to reach 100mph, 14 seconds to reach 110, then I back off the gas. Later...
5:19 hit 80mph entering front straight
5:27 hit 100mph, then slow down for meatball flag
12:16 hit 80mph entering straight
12:25 hit 100mph, 12:30 hit 110mph, 12:32 hit 115

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UycuZDS3CF4

Is that a normal ZHP acceleration, 9 seconds to go from 80 to 100, or 14 seconds from 80 to 110? Isn't that a little sluggish? This is running 91 Octane with two adult males in the car.

Hornung418
11-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Coefficient of drag takes over at speeds above 80 MPH...you may want to do some minor suspension tweaks for your track days.

You looked real good through that chicane after the late apex at Cal :thumbup Are you heel-toeing on your hard braking after the NASCAR oval?

LivesNearCostco
11-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the complement on the chicane. Yes, doing heel-toe at the end of each straight, but it's not always smooth, and the mental concentration needed to do it makes my braking inconsistent. For drag, maybe I should take off that roof rack! Putting up the front windows would reduce drag but not allowed. Dropping the instructor would reduce weight but not drag, unless instructor is doing airplane arm out the window. Just wondering if anyone else has timed their car from 80-100 or 80-110 mph.

For suspension mods... I have lighter wheels, wider tires, Ground-Control Koni shocks and struts, GC camber plates, and Vorshlag limiters on the RTABs. The springs, FCABs, RTABs, swaybars, swaybar bushings, and subframe bushings are stock (RTABs are M3 version). Next upgrade is probably coilover conversion, but I'm always tempted to go for the tune and intake instead, just so the E46/E92 M3 cars don't pull away from me so quickly in the straights.

Hornung418
11-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Shark and long tube CAI should be your next mods. Throttle response will be much better when you want WOT after apexing the turn. That will keep you in the running with the Ms.

Courtesy of Gingerbread...

jayjay_dee
11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
nice video Costco... Coby wheels can re-wrap your alcantara steering wheel and gain extra 15 hp, :fistpump....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4819-Anyone-want-to-post-up-pics-of-their-alcantara-wheel-re-wrap&highlight=coby

danewilson77
11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
nice video Costco... Coby wheels can re-wrap your alcantara steering wheel and gain extra 15 hp, :fistpump....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4819-Anyone-want-to-post-up-pics-of-their-alcantara-wheel-re-wrap&highlight=coby

20Hp with time attack stripe....

az3579
11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I wonder if it's possible somehow for the tune to "go away" and require a reflash... sometimes I wonder if mine is still in effect. I distinctly remember the 4k power dip to be gone when I first applied it and now it's as obvious as a ripe pimple... the throttle jerkiness is also back in first gear, which I don't recall being there after the flash. :dunno

danewilson77
11-17-2011, 07:43 PM
I wonder if it's possible somehow for the tune to "go away" and require a reflash... sometimes I wonder if mine is still in effect. I distinctly remember the 4k power dip to be gone when I first applied it and now it's as obvious as a ripe pimple... the throttle jerkiness is also back in first gear, which I don't recall being there after the flash. :dunno

Install it again? Isn't there supposed to be an update available or coming out soon?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
11-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Install it again? Isn't there supposed to be an update available or coming out soon?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I think he's talking about the latest stock DME update.

Courtesy of Gingerbread...

LivesNearCostco
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
If you installed the Shark Injector then had the dealer reflash or update the DME, then yes I think you'd have to Shark it again.

And yes I would love to get my wheel rewrapped with a time attack stripe so I can pretend I'm going faster than I really am! Added to the list of mods: CAI, Shark Injector, coilover springs, HID projector retrofit/replacement, repaint front bumper cover, rewrap steering wheel, head and neck restraint....which to do, which to do...

Edit: Just saw the thread with examples of Coby's work... very nice! I will definitely do that at some point. As beat-up as my steering wheel and front bumper cover are, I have been prioritizing seat time, suspension, and maintenance over anything cosmetic. Maintenance is just about all caught up and for my (non-racing) use I think only two suspension mods are left on the list.

LivesNearCostco
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Argh, I broke down and ordered a Shark Injector from BimmerWorld. Was looking at BavAuto offer of free ground shipping + $25 gift card. Then this morning BimmerWorld offered a $50 gift card with purchases of $300 or more made by Friday ($75 gift card for purchases >$500) plus free T-shirt. My willpower faded and after holding out for more than a year and I "just can't fight that feeling... anymore..."

There goes my commitment to "mod the driver first"! I feel somewhat guilty, yet excited at the prospect of faster throttle response and 4 extra horses.

Hornung418
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Horray!!!!

webster
11-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Awesome, you will love it.

danewilson77
11-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Awesome, you will love it.

+1

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Chad44
11-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I've got to say that throttle response, torque across the rpms and overall drivability are noticeably better after updating the software at the dealer as Turner prompted me to do... I would suggest that to anyone who thinks they have the old software.
Also, I'll be waiting until the end of winter to shark the car as I just blew my shark budget on Xbox 360/forza 4 to set up a driving station through the winter... Be sure to post up your thoughts on the shark so I can look forward to the spring shark tuning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I've been sitting on the Shark Injector for a week, afraid to install it right before a track day. Plus I want to know if I can go faster on the same track without any changes to the car. Kind of silly fer shur. But this Sunday is probably my last track day until January 28th, so then I can Shark it and maybe get it dyno'd.

Hornung418
12-07-2011, 11:16 AM
You should shark it on your last run of the day...

danewilson77
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
You should shark it on your last run of the day...

Lol....would be a good data point...somewhat.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

LivesNearCostco
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
LoL I could bring my battery charger and a long extension cord and sneak over to one of the RV hookups.

Last Sunday passenger seat was empty. This Sunday there will always be an instructor there, unless they let me run solo in the last session. I could say I need the Shark Injector to make up for his weight! Or I could take out the spare tire and run with a 1/3 tank of gas--that should save at least 60 lbs. Lemmie see.. 6 gallons gas at 6.1 lbs/gallon = 36.6 lbs + ~30 lbs for mini spare and jack = 66.6 lbs of weight savings. Not quite the same as a typical instructor.

LivesNearCostco
01-24-2012, 12:43 AM
I did Shark it, but not until around December 27th. First track day since then is hopefully this Saturday, so I should have some anecdotal "butt dyno" feedback soon.

drfreeman
02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
okay so problem SOLVED!!

How did you connect the cable in the trunk? The instruction said you need to close all doors and trunk. If you connect the battery inside the trunk, you need to leave the trunk open and the trunk lights will on.

Hochspannung
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
fold seats down?

wsmeyer
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I just used a screwdriver to trip the trunk latch closed. Just remember to open it before trying to close the trunk.

William.

drfreeman
02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I just used a screwdriver to trip the trunk latch closed. Just remember to open it before trying to close the trunk.

William.

Thanks wsmyer, it is a good hint and will do it :)

LivesNearCostco
02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
I didn't follow the instructions exactly. First, I bought a cheap 2/10/55 Amp battery charger/starter ($30 with coupon) from Harbor Freight that doesn't officially have a manual mode. I tested it beforehand and saw the "charge" would automatically shut off after the battery was fully charged. The Start mode is normally used in the 55 Amp setting and the Charge mode is used with the 2A or 10A setting. I set amperage to 10A but mode to "Start" so it wouldn't shut off automatically.

Second I plugged it into the underhood terminals instead of directly to the battery so my hood was open, trunk and doors were closed. My long extension cord is not grounded and my grounded extension cord is too short to reach the back of the car while it's in the garage. (Proper answer would be to back car into the garage, putting battery near outlet.)

Third, I was watching the reflection of the SI in a CD and couldn't tell at first if the green LED was pulsing or not. So I mistakenly pushed the button once after it had started reading my existing DME code. Which is explicitly one of the things the instructions tell you NOT TO DO! I followed all the other instructions exactly.

But my car got Sharked okay.

drfreeman
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
one more quick question, how did you plug in the shark into the OBD port ? thru the opened window or you opened the driver side door ? Thanks

LivesNearCostco
03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
You can have the door open when you plug it into the OBD port, you just need to have the doors closed and driver's window open before you push the button, and then you observe things (and push the button a 2nd time at the end) through the open window.

wsmeyer
03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
You can have the door open when you plug it into the OBD port, you just need to have the doors closed and driver's window open before you push the button, and then you observe things (and push the button a 2nd time at the end) through the open window.

+1

I know it sounds crazy but the first time I "sharked" my car it didn't take. All the lights went on/off in the correct sequence and approx time frame, and at the end I got the success confirmation lights but I didn't feel any difference. The more I drove it the more disappointed I was in my $350 purchase. Towards the end of the second day I decided to run it to redline in first gear and sure enough, the limiter came in at 6500.

Ran through the whole process again and everything went as expected but this time I got the "restored" confirmation lights... WTF

Ran through it a third time and got the "success" confirmation lights. This time the difference was immediately noticeable and I have been completely satisfied since.

In my opinion the power increase as not as noticeable as the overall smoothness of the power delivery and the engine itself. MUCH better and really nice change. Well worth the $$$

William.

drfreeman
03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys, now I have all the info I need to shark my ZHP....yoohoo !

328ioc
09-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Well, after much consideration I think I have decided to go with the Shark over other tunes.

Can any one speak to whether or not one vendor is better to order from than another? ie: turner or bimmerworld?

Loved this thread btw. great info.

328ioc
09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Webster, I tried sending you a PM but you inbox is full.

What settings on the turner charger did you use since it appears to be an automatic charger versus and manual/constant version?

Thanks.

danewilson77
09-18-2012, 08:33 AM
I think per the manual....you don't want an automatic charger...you want a continuous charger that maintains >=12.5 volts?

wsmeyer
09-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I assume you bought this one from Turner?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-69-shark-injector-obdii-software-1996-2005-cars.aspx

It's specs are a bit confusing as usually an "automatic" charger switches modes automatically.

3 convenient charging modes
2 amp trickle charge mode
10 amp standard charge mode
55 amp engine crank assist mode
fully automatic

From looking at the pictures you'd want the switches set at Normal and 10AMP. This would be the constant current mode where it would hold the output current at 10A and the voltage would vary between 13.8 and 14.4V.

William.

328ioc
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
I think per the manual....you don't want an automatic charger...you want a continuous charger that maintains >=12.5 volts?

Correct which is why I was confused by the specs of the turner charger.

I assume you bought this one from Turner?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-69-shark-injector-obdii-software-1996-2005-cars.aspx

It's specs are a bit confusing as usually an "automatic" charger switches modes automatically.

3 convenient charging modes
2 amp trickle charge mode
10 amp standard charge mode
55 amp engine crank assist mode
fully automatic

From looking at the pictures you'd want the switches set at Normal and 10AMP. This would be the constant current mode where it would hold the output current at 10A and the voltage would vary between 13.8 and 14.4V.

William.

Thanks for clearing that up William I was in fact confused by that. But if we now understand it correctly 2A would be the auto mode and 10A is in fact constant.

Looks like I will be ordering this tonight. :-)

Thanks for the input gents.

iZHP
09-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Just placed my order...been waiting to pull the trigger on this for a while. :excited

danewilson77
09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
#righton

328ioc
09-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Ordered!

WOLFN8TR
09-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Nice! Feedback please...

328ioc
09-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Feedback so far......

SOLD OUT! TMS is sold out.......wont ship for another week :-(

webster
09-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Webster, I tried sending you a PM but you inbox is full.

What settings on the turner charger did you use since it appears to be an automatic charger versus and manual/constant version?

Thanks.

thanks for the heads up on the PM thing. i cleared out some old ones.

as for the charger, the one from Turner worked fine once i finally plugged in to the battery through the trunk (instead of the terminals under hood). i believe i had it on the default settings (10 amp/Normal)

good luck! sorry to hear they are sold out at the moment.

328ioc
09-19-2012, 09:56 AM
thanks for the heads up on the PM thing. i cleared out some old ones.

as for the charger, the one from Turner worked fine once i finally plugged in to the battery through the trunk (instead of the terminals under hood). i believe i had it on the default settings (10 amp/Normal)

good luck! sorry to hear they are sold out at the moment.

Thanks for the info. Yeah it kinda sucks but I guess I will work on my curbed wheels this weekend now and do the Tune next weekend.

328ioc
09-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Update: everyone and their mother is sold out..........No idea when I will get this.

webster
09-28-2012, 07:26 AM
really? i wonder why the shortage...

iZHP
09-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Still waiting............

-Sent via iPhone 5

328ioc
09-28-2012, 10:55 AM
really? i wonder why the shortage...

Yeah all the Sharks come from one vendor so if one is out they are all out.

I called bimmerworld to check with them and they also have no idea how long it will be till they get some in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jlastor
09-28-2012, 11:58 AM
I waited for mine about 7 weeks. I ordered it through Turner in May and got in July (2012). Worth the wait!!!!

328ioc
09-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Damn. Ok that sucks.

iZHP
10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Dear Ian,

Your order has been processed and is currently in our warehouse being packed for shipping. You will receive an e-mail later today or tomorrow directly from UPS with the tracking number. A copy of your order is attached.

Please select me as your Sales Rep on your future orders.

Thanks! -Chris

:D :D :D

-Sent via iPhone 5

WOLFN8TR
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Sweet!

328ioc
10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Dear Ian,

Your order has been processed and is currently in our warehouse being packed for shipping. You will receive an e-mail later today or tomorrow directly from UPS with the tracking number. A copy of your order is attached.

Please select me as your Sales Rep on your future orders.

Thanks! -Chris

:D :D :D

-Sent via iPhone 5

Dude Chris was your sales reps too?

Btw I got the same email.

I also emailed Chris's supervisor and complimented him on Chis' job due to my constant nagging. Cant wait to install next week!

iZHP
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Chris is usually my rep for Turner. Can't wait!

-Sent via iPhone 5

iZHP
10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm sharked.

-Sent via iPhone 5

danewilson77
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Congrats. Liberating isn't it?

iZHP
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Congrats. Liberating isn't it?

Very. Improved throttle response is definitely there, as well as smoother shifts. (6MT)

-Sent via iPhone 5

328ioc
10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Mine came in the mail a few hours ago. Doing the install first think in the am.

JKO_ZHP
10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
thing*
:)

johnrando
10-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Very cool.

WOLFN8TR
10-25-2012, 05:18 PM
X2...

jayjay_dee
10-25-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm sharked.

Ian, congrats... just curious why you chose Shark over EuroCharge?

328ioc
10-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Ian, congrats... just curious why you chose Shark over EuroCharge?

Ian and I ended up ordering the Shark on the same day and I about to go install mine in about 30 min, so I can chime in one this from my end.

I chose the shark over Euro Charged simply due to my location and the install. Even though the Shark ended up being on back order and I had to wait a few weeks.

Basically the closest Euro Charged dealer to me is about 3 hours away, and I don't have a second vehicle so sending in my ECU was a no go as well.

That's pretty much what it came down to for me.

328ioc
10-26-2012, 10:55 AM
All set up and good to go!

Took me two tries as I think I missed a step the first time. (lights said it was all good but I still had a 6800 redline)

Went back to stock then ran the flash then back to stock a second time and then tuned the third time at Turners suggestion and it worked great.

wsmeyer
10-26-2012, 11:00 AM
All set up and good to go!
Took me two tries as I think I missed a step the first time. (lights said it was all good but I still had a 6800 redline)
Went back to stock then ran the flash then back to stock a second time and then tuned the third time at Turners suggestion and it worked great.

That happened to me too. Confirmation lights and everything looked fine. I drove mine for two days thinking the thing was crap before I noticed the redline.

William.

328ioc
10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah it was odd, but all is good now. once this storm blows over I can give it a real work out.

wsmeyer
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
To me, what was more noticeable than the slight increase in power was just how much more smoothly the engine ran.

And how much smoother the shifting felt. This one perplexed me for a bit until I realized it was buffering the off throttle. When you let off the gas it doesn't immediately cut off the throttle, it slowly cuts it off over a period of about 3/4 sec. I'm still iffy about this as while it does make the off throttle transition and shifting smoother, it decreases the engine braking.

William.

William.

328ioc
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Well sadly after a few days I am begging to think that I was mistaken and I am in fact still stock. I have determined that I do in fact still have a 6800 rpm red line and I think what I though was smother shifting and a smoother engine was just my mind expecting the shark to be installed.

I have an email into Chris at Turner as their phone is currently busy but hopefully something can be figured out.

Hornung418
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
You just gotta reflash it Devlin. Should go the next time. Just make sure you're on a tender. You don't wanna brick the DME.

328ioc
11-01-2012, 04:06 AM
You just gotta reflash it Devlin. Should go the next time. Just make sure you're on a tender. You don't wanna brick the DME.

I have done the whole process 3 times. Always on a charger everything turned off.

I told the guys at Turner I would try it again this weekend.

They already contacted Conforti anyway just to get his opinion.

danewilson77
11-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I have done the whole process 3 times. Always on a charger everything turned off.

I told the guys at Turner I would try it again this weekend.

They already contacted Conforti anyway just to get his opinion.

And what charger do you have again?

328ioc
11-01-2012, 06:15 AM
The one from Turner.....

LivesNearCostco
11-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Dyno tested my car today at the same place (MCE at Thunderhill Raceway) that tested it 2 years ago. Wanted to see what the Shark + EvoSport underdrive pulleys did. Got 9.5 more wheel HP and 4.4 more foot-lbs of torque than before. Old test was 189.5 RWHP and new test is 199.28 RWHP. So between the Shark Injector and the pulleys, I got a little more power. IIRC the Shark claims +4HP on the E46 330 so does that mean the pulleys gave me +5 HP? All numbers are SAE corrected, which matters because the whether on the two test days was very different.

Now wondering what it would do with an aftermarket intake and exhaust....

BimmerWill
11-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Dyno tested my car today at the same place (MCE at Thunderhill Raceway) that tested it 2 years ago. Wanted to see what the Shark + EvoSport underdrive pulleys did. Got 9.5 more wheel HP and 4.4 more foot-lbs of torque than before. Old test was 189.5 RWHP and new test is 199.28 RWHP. So between the Shark Injector and the pulleys, I got a little more power. IIRC the Shark claims +4HP on the E46 330 so does that mean the pulleys gave me +5 HP? All numbers are SAE corrected, which matters because the whether on the two test days was very different.

Headers would more than likely give you the best benefit for the money.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Shark would leave some power on the board with headers though, plus you'll throw ses codes.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Shark would leave some power on the board with headers though, plus you'll throw ses codes.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

I thought you could fool the computer about the oxygen sensors without too much trouble.

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 01:52 PM
How so?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

BimmerWill
11-17-2012, 03:14 PM
How so?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

I've got a link saved on my laptop at home. Ill post it when I get back.

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Well from my knowledge it takes tuning and post o2 sensor extensions to pull um out of the direct stream. Tuning helps but is mainly for pre o2s so your engine doesn't go bonkers and run too rich/lean

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

LivesNearCostco
11-18-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm sure they would! But then I'd have to install them and deal with the SES light, and California smog inspections. Maybe someday I'll try to put in headers that include high-flow cats.

Headers would more than likely give you the best benefit for the money.

webster
11-19-2012, 07:26 AM

great info! thanks for sharing. i got the pulleys and shark as well so it's nice to know i gained roughly 10 HP between the two...i can definitely feel a difference in pull v. stock when i bought it. Upgraded Vanos and badass DISA probably help as well lol.

LivesNearCostco
11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I'll scan and post the dyno sheet soon. There are parts on the curve where I gained more than 10 RWHP, but comparing peak to peak, it was almost +10. I didn't replace my DISA but put electrical tape around the old gasket. Not sure if it was leaking at that seal before. Dyno sheet still shows a 4K RPM dip, so I guess that means my DISA does work, right? (Argh, just realized I left the dyno sheets at home, so I can't scan them with the nice multi-function copier/printer at the office.)

And apparently I can't spell weather (whether!).
Dyno run table showing A/F ratio

Dyno chart comparing 11/2010 run (no Shark, no pulleys) to 11/2012 (Shark Injector and pulleys)